SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:07:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101431 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2100 on: July 02, 2022, 06:48:04 AM »

HISTORIC VICTORY FOR WHITE LIFE!!!!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2101 on: July 02, 2022, 07:22:14 AM »

The question is 30 percent of the D vote is Blk and Brown D's aren't losing Latinos because Newsom won the recall and 33 M out of 1oo M Minorities are impoverished and 20 out of 20o M of whites are impoverished, the question is will WC voters care about Roe, low unemployment 3.5 and insurrection as much as they do about inflation and the War in Ukraine that's the issue for Nov, it's VBM and EDay is 150 days away, we can go on and on about Roe or insurrection but inflation is at issue, everything got expensive air travel and gas on Cars using fuel and rents but it makes income inequality worse and Rs tax the poor and cut for the rich

It's a mirage they Rs will solve our problems , it's Trump own vaccines be that his administration administered that hasn't resolved COVID, it helps but it takes a long time than 2 yrs to eradicate a disease we still have Flu, HIV and TB and we have vaccine
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2102 on: July 02, 2022, 09:12:26 AM »

An interstate ban is infeasible even if it were upheld. You have to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that she had an abortion (vs. a miscarriage, still birth, etc.), and you can't do that if the other state won't provide any evidence that an abortion took place.

And because abortion is a felony and even in right-to-life states half of the people think the laws are horsesh**t, good luck with the jury trial.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #2103 on: July 02, 2022, 09:47:36 AM »

Where's our evangelical posters to defend this Ohio garbage? Oh wait. They must be protesting in support of universal healthcare and free school lunch the pro-lifers they are.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2104 on: July 02, 2022, 09:50:05 AM »

America, the land of free-ish and the brave, who force their beliefs onto you whether you like it or not.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2105 on: July 02, 2022, 09:57:56 AM »

This is what Republican America will look like.

And not just on the specific issue, but on everything. Child welfare, education, health care, employment, entertainment, the environment, science, our whole future. That they're going to overwhelmingly take themselves to hell with the rest of us ought to be no consolation.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2106 on: July 02, 2022, 10:13:51 AM »

Where's our evangelical posters to defend this Ohio garbage? Oh wait. They must be protesting in support of universal healthcare and free school lunch the pro-lifers they are.

I too would like to know what Fuzzy, Mr. R and fhtagn have to say about that case (though at least one is Catholic, these laws have fundamentalist catholicism written all over them.) Do they think the 10 year old girl is now a murderer who should've viewed her incestuous rape as an "opportunity"? Do they want to punish the doctor that helped her?

I'm very curious to hear their thoughts on why ten year old children should be forced to go through incest rape pregnancies and they are silent here.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2107 on: July 02, 2022, 10:24:13 AM »

Ah, looks like my state of South Carolina just introduced a bill banning all abortions except for the life of the mother. If you're raped you still have to have the child.

The bill also makes it a felony to assist a woman or help a woman travel to another state for an abortion. I'm not sure how that is constitutional or how the state plans to stop a woman from getting into a car and driving to North Carolina or wherever else abortion is accessible.

If I did not know who you were, and your bio as it were, I would have assumed that as to the bolded sentence, you made it up out of whole cloth as an uber troll. You may not be sure counselor that criminalizing paying for the gas for a woman to drive down to Jacksonville for an abortion is an unconstitutional  burden on the right to travel, but I am.* Ditto for the woman traveling to Jacksonville paying for her own gas. This sh*t is being done as performance art to feed the ravenous appetites of the crazed base by amoral lean and hungry political actors.

*Notwithstanding that, inter alia, some, e.g., Clarence Thomas, may have the opposite opinion.

Of course, restricting the woman from traveling is unconstitutional. My statement of whether it is constitutional was said sarcastically, because it obviously is not constitutional to restrict travel. That's tantamount to saying I cannot travel to Colorado and smoke pot because pot is illegal in SC even though it is legal in Colorado.

I do not believe the bill in question forbids women from seeking abortions out of state, but it does forbid others from providing information on where to seek an abortion and forbids others from assisting the woman seeking an out of state abortion in any way. If I pay for gas for a women to go to Florida or NC for an out of state abortion, I am a felon and they will lock me up for 20 years if this bill is passed

Add a violation of the 1st Amendment to the list. So many amendments, so many violations, so little time.

Sorry if I irritated you. I did not mean to imply that you are anything other than an A+ rated lawyer in all that you do. As for this rotting old brain, my A rated days are long over.  Angel

Oh, Torie, you never irritate me. Smiley

I did not mean to come off that way. It has been a tough time for our country and very upsetting to follow, but if I stop paying attention, that makes me no better than those enabling what is going on.

Ah, looks like my state of South Carolina just introduced a bill banning all abortions except for the life of the mother. If you're raped you still have to have the child.

The bill also makes it a felony to assist a woman or help a woman travel to another state for an abortion. I'm not sure how that is constitutional or how the state plans to stop a woman from getting into a car and driving to North Carolina or wherever else abortion is accessible.

bUT thEy cAn jUsT mOvE

I’m surprised you still have a republican  avatar tbh.

I haven't voted for a Republican, outside of my county's probate court judge, who does a great job and is not political at all, in many election cycles. I once said I kept my blue avatar out of tradition, but given how the Republican Party has gone off the rails in the last decade plus (and my off and on disappearances from Atlas forum), perhaps it is time to retire the blue avatar.

When was the last time you voted Republican for president, senator or governor

I voted for McCain in 2008 despite my reservations with Palin. I nearly voted for Romney in 2012, but decided at the last minute that Obama had done a sufficient job in his first term that he deserved re-election.

I voted for Lindsay Graham in both the primary, to defeat a tea party challenger, and the general. This was before he went off the rails and became a Trump lackey. I also voted for Nikki Haley in 2014.

Since 2014, I voted for one Republican, Mark Sanford in 2016, and Charleston County's probate court judge.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2108 on: July 02, 2022, 10:49:36 AM »

They're not stopping.

Literally unconstitutional

They. Don't. Care.

This is the point - states can try and start doing this now if they really want (esp the ones with more extreme R-led legislatures), and the SCOTUS would only rule on this if it actually made its way there, which would take a decent amount of time.

Lower courts would slap it down in a nano-second.

Again, what relevance is that when the case is inevitably going to wind up before the supremes?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2109 on: July 02, 2022, 10:50:44 AM »

America, the land of free-ish and the brave, who force their beliefs onto you whether you like it or not.

This should be in an attack ad this year.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2110 on: July 02, 2022, 11:19:10 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 12:12:25 PM by Sir Mohamed 🇺🇸 🇺🇦 »

This should be in an attack ad this year.

Maybe the DNC should hire Virginia and a few other fellow D-posters? I can't imagine it getting worse, just better.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2111 on: July 02, 2022, 11:57:13 AM »

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2112 on: July 02, 2022, 12:03:27 PM »

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.

So you support a child being forced to bear a child.

I think that's the greater evil.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #2113 on: July 02, 2022, 12:05:31 PM »

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.

I mean evangelicalism is an evil political ideology so no surprise there
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2114 on: July 02, 2022, 12:05:39 PM »

The difference is that you don't believe that abortion is literally murder.  If you do believe that it's literally murder (like I do), then actively killing someone is the far worse action.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2115 on: July 02, 2022, 12:08:55 PM »

Don’t abortion bans in every state still include exceptions for the life of the mother? Why wouldn’t that apply here? Childbirth could easily kill a 10 year old, that’s years before anyone should be going through pregnancy just in a biological sense. Insanity.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2116 on: July 02, 2022, 12:12:54 PM »

that's an issue of poor judgment on the doctor the girl saw in Ohio, not the law itself.

Abortions beyond the point of cardiac activity (~6 week) threshold in Ohio are legal if the provider determines it's a medical emergency and necessary to prevent the pregnant person's death or serious risk of the substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function. Which would apply in a situation where there's a pregnant 10 year old.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2117 on: July 02, 2022, 12:14:16 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 12:19:14 PM by afleitch »

The difference is that you don't believe that abortion is literally murder.  If you do believe that it's literally murder (like I do), then actively killing someone is the far worse action.

No. I think having a personal morality, or system of ethics that personifies a zygote as a child, for the sake of appeasing a god, to protect your own selfish desire for something good to happen to you after death, when someone living and breathing needs protection. I can't hold any respect for that.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2118 on: July 02, 2022, 12:17:15 PM »

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.

Just to be clear: you want this 10-year-old girl to carry an incestuous rapist's baby to term, regardless of the high risk to both herself and the baby (with a mother that young) and the high likelihood of emotional and physical damage?

Would you adopt that baby?

Please answer yes or no to all questions.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2119 on: July 02, 2022, 12:20:16 PM »

Just to be clear: you want this 10-year-old girl to carry an incestuous rapist's baby to term, regardless of the high risk to both herself and the baby (with a mother that young) and the high likelihood of emotional and physical damage?

Yeah, that's disgusting. Even fhtagn says right above says she's okay with an abortion in this case and she's one of the most pro life posters we have. Wtf dude?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2120 on: July 02, 2022, 12:29:23 PM »

Yeah, that's disgusting. Even fhtagn says right above says she's okay with an abortion in this case and she's one of the most pro life posters we have. Wtf dude?

That's why he named himself ExtremeRepublican. I think he always extreme on that particular issue, even though never a Trump hack and more rational on immigration.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2121 on: July 02, 2022, 12:30:53 PM »

That's why he named himself ExtremeRepublican. I think he always extreme on that particular issue, even though never a Trump hack and more rational on immigration.

He's pro immigration because your average immigrant is going to be more socially conservative, and if they aren't, that's one more person he can try to convert.

Perfect example of why Trumpism is leagues better than his Bush era conservatism.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #2122 on: July 02, 2022, 12:40:05 PM »

He's pro immigration because your average immigrant is going to be more socially conservative, and if they aren't, that's one more person he can try to convert.

Perfect example of why Trumpism is leagues better than his Bush era conservatism.
Sadly because of “mah civility” it comes off as if the vast, vast majority of red avys would rather dial the clock back to Dubya.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2123 on: July 02, 2022, 12:43:39 PM »

Sadly because of “mah civility” it comes off as if the vast, vast majority of red avys would rather dial the clock back to Dubya.

There is some truth to this. If the choices were between ending gay marriage and ending immigration, the vast, vast majority of red avs would take away my rights.

Now, this is hypothetical that will never see the light of day, but it is still bothersome that they'd place the rights of foreigners over the rights of Americans.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2124 on: July 02, 2022, 12:57:43 PM »

There is some truth to this. If the choices were between ending gay marriage and ending immigration, the vast, vast majority of red avs would take away my rights.

Source(s): Dude, trust me
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies