SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:32:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101454 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2075 on: July 01, 2022, 08:53:00 AM »

They're not stopping.

Literally unconstitutional

They. Don't. Care.

This is the point - states can try and start doing this now if they really want (esp the ones with more extreme R-led legislatures), and the SCOTUS would only rule on this if it actually made its way there, which would take a decent amount of time.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2076 on: July 01, 2022, 09:30:59 AM »

They're not stopping.

They. Don't. Care.

This is the point - states can try and start doing this now if they really want (esp the ones with more extreme R-led legislatures), and the SCOTUS would only rule on this if it actually made its way there, which would take a decent amount of time.

Lower courts would slap it down in a nano-second.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2077 on: July 01, 2022, 10:09:34 AM »

They're not stopping.

They. Don't. Care.

Lower courts would slap it down in a nano-second.

Hopefully some Bat sh**t insane judge on the fifth or 11th doesn’t get their hands on it first. You would think eventually it would be dealt with properly but they would be a while where it wouldn’t be.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2078 on: July 01, 2022, 10:23:18 AM »

Ah, looks like my state of South Carolina just introduced a bill banning all abortions except for the life of the mother. If you're raped you still have to have the child.

The bill also makes it a felony to assist a woman or help a woman travel to another state for an abortion. I'm not sure how that is constitutional or how the state plans to stop a woman from getting into a car and driving to North Carolina or wherever else abortion is accessible.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2079 on: July 01, 2022, 11:25:00 AM »

Ah, looks like my state of South Carolina just introduced a bill banning all abortions except for the life of the mother. If you're raped you still have to have the child.

The bill also makes it a felony to assist a woman or help a woman travel to another state for an abortion. I'm not sure how that is constitutional or how the state plans to stop a woman from getting into a car and driving to North Carolina or wherever else abortion is accessible.

If I did not know who you were, and your bio as it were, I would have assumed that as to the bolded sentence, you made it up out of whole cloth as an uber troll. You may not be sure counselor that criminalizing paying for the gas for a woman to drive down to Jacksonville for an abortion is an unconstitutional  burden on the right to travel, but I am.* Ditto for the woman traveling to Jacksonville paying for her own gas. This sh*t is being done as performance art to feed the ravenous appetites of the crazed base by amoral lean and hungry political actors.

*Notwithstanding that, inter alia, some, e.g., Clarence Thomas, may have the opposite opinion.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #2080 on: July 01, 2022, 11:28:59 AM »

bUT thEy cAn jUsT mOvE

I’m surprised you still have a republican  avatar tbh.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2081 on: July 01, 2022, 11:42:12 AM »

Just a decade ago the standard Republican stance on abortion included rape/incest exceptions.

The Religious Right has no less influence in the GOP as it did in the Bush years. Let's not kid ourselves on this. And no, my moderate conservative friends: polls showing younger Republicans favoring those exceptions or SSM are worthless. Policy outcomes is what determines that as far as I'm concerned.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2082 on: July 01, 2022, 12:12:59 PM »

I wouldn't bet money on the right to travel surviving this Court's jurisprudence. I'm not sure what will survive this Court.
rwoy
« Reply #2083 on: July 01, 2022, 02:07:16 PM »

Prediction for the future .....

-Kentucky Mitch kills the China deal and the economy worsens.
-Republicans don't nominate Trump, Biden loses 2024.
-Clarence retires from SCOTUS and is replaced by another arch-conservative.
-Anti-Abortion states pass laws restricting the travel of pregnant or suspected to be pregnant women in an effort to prevent women from crossing a border to get an abortion.
-Said laws get challenged to the SCOTUS who support them.
rwoy
« Reply #2084 on: July 01, 2022, 02:08:24 PM »

They're not stopping.

Gorsuch and Roberts won't be on board with this. This is a non-started. If a seventh R justice is named, I think it could happen though.

Kavanaugh said in his concurrence he'd oppose this.

He lied to Congress before why do you think he wouldn't lie again?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2085 on: July 01, 2022, 03:10:37 PM »

If I did not know who you were, and your bio as it were, I would have assumed that as to the bolded sentence, you made it up out of whole cloth as an uber troll. You may not be sure counselor that criminalizing paying for the gas for a woman to drive down to Jacksonville for an abortion is an unconstitutional  burden on the right to travel, but I am.* Ditto for the woman traveling to Jacksonville paying for her own gas. This sh*t is being done as performance art to feed the ravenous appetites of the crazed base by amoral lean and hungry political actors.

*Notwithstanding that, inter alia, some, e.g., Clarence Thomas, may have the opposite opinion.

Of course, restricting the woman from traveling is unconstitutional. My statement of whether it is constitutional was said sarcastically, because it obviously is not constitutional to restrict travel. That's tantamount to saying I cannot travel to Colorado and smoke pot because pot is illegal in SC even though it is legal in Colorado.

I do not believe the bill in question forbids women from seeking abortions out of state, but it does forbid others from providing information on where to seek an abortion and forbids others from assisting the woman seeking an out of state abortion in any way. If I pay for gas for a women to go to Florida or NC for an out of state abortion, I am a felon and they will lock me up for 20 years if this bill is passed
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2086 on: July 01, 2022, 03:13:52 PM »

bUT thEy cAn jUsT mOvE

I haven't voted for a Republican, outside of my county's probate court judge, who does a great job and is not political at all, in many election cycles. I once said I kept my blue avatar out of tradition, but given how the Republican Party has gone off the rails in the last decade plus (and my off and on disappearances from Atlas forum), perhaps it is time to retire the blue avatar.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2087 on: July 01, 2022, 03:24:08 PM »

They're not stopping.

Gorsuch and Roberts won't be on board with this. This is a non-started. If a seventh R justice is named, I think it could happen though.

I don't see why he'd blatantly lie, especially because he's already on the Court, when he can just mislead (as he did by vaguely saying he respected precedent).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2088 on: July 01, 2022, 03:40:45 PM »

They're not stopping.

I don't see why he'd blatantly lie, especially because he's already on the Court, when he can just mislead (as he did by vaguely saying he respected precedent).

I also think there's no way in heck Gorsuch is on board with meaningful restrictions on interstate travel given his state COVID mandate dissents.  This one shouldn't even be particularly close, quite possibly just Thomas and Alito in favor.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2089 on: July 01, 2022, 04:42:27 PM »

Of course, restricting the woman from traveling is unconstitutional. My statement of whether it is constitutional was said sarcastically, because it obviously is not constitutional to restrict travel. That's tantamount to saying I cannot travel to Colorado and smoke pot because pot is illegal in SC even though it is legal in Colorado.

I do not believe the bill in question forbids women from seeking abortions out of state, but it does forbid others from providing information on where to seek an abortion and forbids others from assisting the woman seeking an out of state abortion in any way. If I pay for gas for a women to go to Florida or NC for an out of state abortion, I am a felon and they will lock me up for 20 years if this bill is passed

Add a violation of the 1st Amendment to the list. So many amendments, so many violations, so little time.

Sorry if I irritated you. I did not mean to imply that you are anything other than an A+ rated lawyer in all that you do. As for this rotting old brain, my A rated days are long over.  Angel
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2090 on: July 01, 2022, 07:09:26 PM »

I wanted to be smug and say "heh, defend THIS through November" but that would be super inappropriate.

Still though, defend stories like this through November. Whether you're logically consistent or not, voters aren't going to like it and there's no reason to assume it will have no impact on voters at all.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2091 on: July 01, 2022, 07:16:45 PM »

I know that they can’t arrest you for leaving the state, but could they make it such that you can’t come back?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2092 on: July 01, 2022, 07:19:28 PM »

bUT thEy cAn jUsT mOvE

I haven't voted for a Republican, outside of my county's probate court judge, who does a great job and is not political at all, in many election cycles. I once said I kept my blue avatar out of tradition, but given how the Republican Party has gone off the rails in the last decade plus (and my off and on disappearances from Atlas forum), perhaps it is time to retire the blue avatar.

Badger did and against the same grain you are rowing against. Think of yourself as an ancestral Arkansas Democrat but in reverse.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2093 on: July 01, 2022, 08:46:05 PM »

bUT thEy cAn jUsT mOvE

Badger did and against the same grain you are rowing against. Think of yourself as an ancestral Arkansas Democrat but in reverse.

Badger was never really a Republican though given he volunteered for Mondale
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2094 on: July 01, 2022, 08:47:01 PM »

bUT thEy cAn jUsT mOvE

When was the last time you voted Republican for president, senator or governor

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2095 on: July 01, 2022, 08:47:45 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2022, 08:59:28 PM by NYDem »

bUT thEy cAn jUsT mOvE

I’m surprised you still have a republican  avatar tbh.

Badger was never really a Republican though given he volunteered for Mondale

Pretty sure there are a lot of Republicans who volunteered for Mondale. Heck, Fuzzy Bear might have volunteered for Mondale.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2096 on: July 02, 2022, 12:28:58 AM »

A 10-year-old was forced to cross state lines for an abortion after Ohio's ban went into place. The Indiana doctor who helped her will soon be unable to assist others.

This is the state of  our country now.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2097 on: July 02, 2022, 12:43:03 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 12:46:12 AM by Horus »

And to think we have posters on this very forum that think the doctor who helped this child is worse than the person who raped her.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2098 on: July 02, 2022, 03:29:25 AM »

An interstate ban is infeasible even if it were upheld. You have to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that she had an abortion (vs. a miscarriage, still birth, etc.), and you can't do that if the other state won't provide any evidence that an abortion took place.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2099 on: July 02, 2022, 06:19:26 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies