SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:24:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103407 times)
Yoda
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1925 on: June 26, 2022, 02:59:51 PM »

Ghoul

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the GOP really is populated by the dumbest f****** people on the planet.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1926 on: June 26, 2022, 03:00:18 PM »

note the date range. Half the dates are before the decision.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1927 on: June 26, 2022, 03:01:19 PM »

note the date range. That doesn't include any day after the decision was handed down.

Fair but a lot of the surprise of Roe being overturned went away when the Leak happened and it still didnt poll that high .
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1928 on: June 26, 2022, 03:40:21 PM »

note the date range. That doesn't include any day after the decision was handed down.

Fair but a lot of the surprise of Roe being overturned went away when the Leak happened and it still didnt poll that high .

It's going to go even higher now that the reality of abortion bans is actually here. This is no longer a hypothetical, this is having real world, tangible consequences that are going to change people's lives in drastic ways. Government often seems like some far-off thing that doesn't directly affect people, but this is a subject where that is decidedly not the case.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1929 on: June 26, 2022, 03:55:03 PM »

Fair but a lot of the surprise of Roe being overturned went away when the Leak happened and it still didnt poll that high.

Last numbers I saw were hardly half that. It may not be the top issue, but it has certainly increased as an issue since the decision. Even if it isn’t the issue of the campaign, it is going to be playing a major role.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1930 on: June 26, 2022, 04:08:24 PM »

wElL AcTuAlLy gAs pRiCeS ArE MoRe iMpOrTaNt tHaN YoUr rIgHtS is a hell of a pickup line.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1931 on: June 26, 2022, 04:29:02 PM »

wElL AcTuAlLy gAs pRiCeS ArE MoRe iMpOrTaNt tHaN YoUr rIgHtS is a hell of a pickup line.

The issue of inflation is more important than the issue of abortion
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1932 on: June 26, 2022, 04:30:50 PM »

But voting for Republicans over inflation is merely a protest vote - they have no plan to fix it and can’t, anyway - while voting for Republicans or Democrats over abortion has a direct line to policy.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1933 on: June 26, 2022, 04:32:16 PM »

So if I took that poll, I would've called inflation a high priority. That doesn't mean I'm voting Republican, because I don't trust the Republicans would do anything better to slow inflation.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1934 on: June 26, 2022, 05:05:20 PM »

I expect that there are a whole lot of people for whom this is not true. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1935 on: June 26, 2022, 05:05:55 PM »

I mean, if you're forced to carry a pregnancy you don't want, the cost of raising a child for eighteen years really does put short term inflation concerns into perspective don't you think?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1936 on: June 26, 2022, 05:09:18 PM »

I expect that there are a whole lot of people for whom this is not true. 

Sure but to mock the fact that for most people it is true does not help the side you think you are helping
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1937 on: June 26, 2022, 05:09:36 PM »

The lion's share of voters who care a lot about this ruling are safe for one party or the other.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1938 on: June 26, 2022, 05:09:58 PM »

“This is about saving lives”

Okay, then mandatory covid vaccines.

“No!!!!”
"This is about 'my body, my choice"

Okay, then no mandatory COVID vaccines.

"No!!!!"

If someone genuinely honestly can't perceive the vast Chasm between being required to get an injection or two and carrying a child to term, is an idiot. You are not an idiot, therefore you are not posting in good faith.

if "my body my choice" is the legal principle you are using to justify saying people have a constitutional right to an abortion than by the same justification COVID Vaccine mandates are also unconstitutional.

You can argue that Roe should be codified by a law passed by congress while supporting COVID vaccines but that is different cause laws are not the same thing as constitutional rights.

When you claim pregnancy is a deadly infectious disease that spreads through the air, you're really really telling us that sex ed needs a lot of work.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1939 on: June 26, 2022, 05:18:07 PM »

Instead of impeaching these Justices which is a waste of time, the D's will never get 67 votes and Biden replace a Conservative judge focus on winning WI, PA, GA, NC, FL and OH which are within reach that gives us 55 votes and a Filibuster proof Senate the Election is in November anyways and set the stage for Crt packing I doubt if Jeffries and Schumer sends Biden a Crt packing bill he will veto the LGBTQ won't let him and anyways what's to stop as I said many times from getting rid of Voting Rights it has a ban on Gerrymandering and Thomas is clearly for gerrymandering

aOC is calling on impeachment but Pelosi hasn't called on that
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1940 on: June 26, 2022, 05:47:39 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2022, 05:52:12 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

When you join me in support of my Constitutional Rights under the Second Amendment, that'll get me to overlook your not knowing when to use capitals and lower cases.

When you join me in support of the J6 defendants in insisting that their 4th and 8th Constitutional Rights be respected and upheld by the Courts, then I'll start a thread on you in Forum Community and hype you for an FF rating.  

And unlike the "rIgHtS" you talk about, I am speaking about enumerated Constitutional rights.  The right to keep and bear arms (Amendment 2)  The right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures (Amendment 4).  The right to be free from excessive bail, and the right to be free from cruel and unusual punishments (Amendment 8 Cool, these things are black letter Constitutional Law, not something cobbled together as a political compromise disguised as a judicial decision.  At that point I'll consider your dedication to Constitutional Rights as real, and you as being worthy of the cherished "FF" designation.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #1941 on: June 26, 2022, 06:00:38 PM »

But voting for Republicans over inflation is merely a protest vote - they have no plan to fix it and can’t, anyway - while voting for Republicans or Democrats over abortion has a direct line to policy.

I liked your post because I agree with it, but you can't expect people to behave so reasonably.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1942 on: June 26, 2022, 06:14:33 PM »

It's going to go even higher now that the reality of abortion bans is actually here. This is no longer a hypothetical, this is having real world, tangible consequences that are going to change people's lives in drastic ways. Government often seems like some far-off thing that doesn't directly affect people, but this is a subject where that is decidedly not the case.

At the very least it may inspire greater Democratic turnout which was once looking pretty unenthused. Democrats are pissed, and I am glad to see it. I was worried that the May leak would have blunted that passion, but it doesn't seem like it, especially when people are going to see firsthand what strict abortion bans and the criminalizing of those pursuing or assisting in them will look like. Two generations have not existed without Roe v. Wade as the law of the land, and there is a lot of uncertainty now what the country will look like. But it will definitely look different, and worse. And hopefully the average voter who might not care will take notice. I doubt the backlash to Dobbs will be enough to defy the national environment, which will indeed be based mostly on gas prices/inflation and where much damage has already been irreparably done. But if by some miracle, those two things are resolved somewhat before election day, issues like this and guns may very well become more prioritized and put the GOP in an awkward position, especially for statewide elections. I can only hope for that to happen, because it's what the party deserves over flouting consequences like they always do.

To elaborate on what Cashew, above, just said: this is what is so maddening about how Americans think. The average voter always seems to be under the impression that the President and their party can flip a switch on economic issues that can lower inflation and bring gas prices back down to $2.00 a gallon, or something, but aren't for whatever reason. And somehow voting for the opposite party will cause the reverse.

That's for better and worse, by the way, I can't blame the GOP for running on those issues, as Democrats would too if a Republican was President-it's politics. But the reality is that economic issues are complicated and there is a lot, beyond the control of most politicians, that influence them. Gas prices and inflation will return to a normal, stable state at some point.

A major human rights issue meanwhile, like abortion, is going to actually require having the right people in office to do whatever they can in their capacity to maintain or expand it as a right, or otherwise ban it. As you said, there is an actual through-line there. I really wish more Americans would realize that. If they don't, as I fear, then apathy is going to keep us in the dark place we our society is hurtling into. It's up to the people who do give a crap to get active in any way possible to take the bull by the horns on this fight.

I've seen a lot recently about how "please just f***ing vote" is being seen as the Democratic equivalency to "thoughts and prayers," and people are getting sick of it. I get it. But proactively voting as often as possible for candidates that they believed reflected their goals is what granted the right this victory, even if it took fifty years. And to undo that, in hopefully less than fifty years, everybody possible who actually cares has to do the same. The system we have is indeed deeply flawed, and evidently always has been, but we still have to work with it, unfortunately, if we do want it to change. We can't look back at previous elections anymore and query about what would have been the most practical mistake the undo. No more mistakes or missed opportunities. I really want us to be at a point where we, and the politicians who represent us, learned every lesson we need to.
James Monroe

« Reply #1943 on: June 26, 2022, 06:21:06 PM »

A cousin friend on Facebook who's a Republican posted this today on her page. This is a message that Republicans should read before going off on any orthodox platform spouting of cutting programs or not giving any benefits to the "children" they'd deeply craved to life.

Roe v Wade = Overturned.
Great news….. yay. Now all Pro-lifers, I will be expecting you to sign-up for the next IMPACT classes offered to become certified foster parents. Furthermore,  my fellow Republicans should also now be the first ones to vote for additional Medicaid and TANF benefits, educational costs, funding for government assistance programs, and designated funding to housing resources. There is about to be a huge influx of substance addicted babies, babies with congenital defects, and babies needing end of life hospice homes and children entering the foster care system. Oh, also, better get the prisons built bigger and designate some more funds there because child abuse will also increase. Generational trauma, poverty, and cultural disparities in opportunity will also drastically increase. I‘m not saying I’m pro abortion….. I’m saying I’m pro take care of the kids. As the esteemed George Govignon, Esquire says, “You better protect them from the womb to the tomb.” Now let’s see pro-lifers step up in a new way
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1944 on: June 26, 2022, 06:48:28 PM »

A cousin friend on Facebook who's a Republican posted this today on her page. This is a message that Republicans should read before going off on any orthodox platform spouting of cutting programs or not giving any benefits to the "children" they'd deeply craved to life.

Roe v Wade = Overturned.
Great news….. yay. Now all Pro-lifers, I will be expecting you to sign-up for the next IMPACT classes offered to become certified foster parents. Furthermore,  my fellow Republicans should also now be the first ones to vote for additional Medicaid and TANF benefits, educational costs, funding for government assistance programs, and designated funding to housing resources. There is about to be a huge influx of substance addicted babies, babies with congenital defects, and babies needing end of life hospice homes and children entering the foster care system. Oh, also, better get the prisons built bigger and designate some more funds there because child abuse will also increase. Generational trauma, poverty, and cultural disparities in opportunity will also drastically increase. I‘m not saying I’m pro abortion….. I’m saying I’m pro take care of the kids. As the esteemed George Govignon, Esquire says, “You better protect them from the womb to the tomb.” Now let’s see pro-lifers step up in a new way

Firstly:  Let your cousin on Facebook show how SHE'D a "Womb to Tomber".  How's she doing with taking care of her own kids.  Is she childless?  Then is she stepping up herself.to fill the need of kids in need of competent parenting?  Her post is the post of a Bill Collector, and there's a place for that, but it's harder to be a Bill Payer than a Bill Collector because the Bill Payer accepts responsibility for the outcome.

Secondly:  I've personally stepped up.  My youngest son is a Step-Grandson who we adopted through the Foster Care system in a convoluted situation where my wife and I have raised him since he was 2 years old.  He's 17 now, and we're 65 and 67 now.  I'm working, not thinking of retiring at this point, because of concerns for his health insurance. 

Thirdly:  I know many Christians who had adopted children or served as Foster Parents.  If you went to church you would see such people.  People who have actually loved children sacrifically.  People who have given up their Empty Nest years to raise grandchildren in a tough spot.   

Now I've always supported an adequate Safety Net, and I still do.  I've spoke in public at a political event only once in the last 20 years, and I challenged all 3 candidates to ask why they didn't even mention the atrocious shape of Florida's Foster Care System.  (And this was before my youngest son was even born.)  I'm certainly for the alleviation of poverty, and the reason we have poverty in America is that we allow it.  But it's also fair to point out that many of the children in the tightest spots are the product of irresponsible behaviors, including all sorts of premarital or extramarital sex where there is no serious contemplation of what the couple will do with a child.  Yes, society should act despite the irresponsibility of the parties in question, who have created a child that they have no Earthly ides how to take care of (and minimal interest in learning), but there should be some role in addressing the irresponsibility. 

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1945 on: June 26, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »

Roe v Wade = Overturned.

Firstly:  Let your cousin on Facebook show how SHE'D a "Womb to Tomber".  How's she doing with taking care of her own kids.  Is she childless?  Then is she stepping up herself.to fill the need of kids in need of competent parenting?  Her post is the post of a Bill Collector, and there's a place for that, but it's harder to be a Bill Payer than a Bill Collector because the Bill Payer accepts responsibility for the outcome.

Secondly:  I've personally stepped up.  My youngest son is a Step-Grandson who we adopted through the Foster Care system in a convoluted situation where my wife and I have raised him since he was 2 years old.  He's 17 now, and we're 65 and 67 now.  I'm working, not thinking of retiring at this point, because of concerns for his health insurance. 

Thirdly:  I know many Christians who had adopted children or served as Foster Parents.  If you went to church you would see such people.  People who have actually loved children sacrifically.  People who have given up their Empty Nest years to raise grandchildren in a tough spot.   

Now I've always supported an adequate Safety Net, and I still do.  I've spoke in public at a political event only once in the last 20 years, and I challenged all 3 candidates to ask why they didn't even mention the atrocious shape of Florida's Foster Care System.  (And this was before my youngest son was even born.)  I'm certainly for the alleviation of poverty, and the reason we have poverty in America is that we allow it.  But it's also fair to point out that many of the children in the tightest spots are the product of irresponsible behaviors, including all sorts of premarital or extramarital sex where there is no serious contemplation of what the couple will do with a child.  Yes, society should act despite the irresponsibility of the parties in question, who have created a child that they have no Earthly ides how to take care of (and minimal interest in learning), but there should be some role in addressing the irresponsibility. 

I will agree with you on this. We should never rely on being able to have an abortion for irresponsible sexual behavior. So what do we do about it? Do young people need better sex education in school? What about the older women and men? How do you tell them to change their attitude and their practices toward sex?

I think what goes hand and hand with this is our present disrespect for women in society. Women still do not have equality in this country and because of that, women are not really full citizens yet. I say we are second-class citizens, along with people with a darker skin color, poor people, and more.

So what do we do about it? Education? Raising awareness? Bringing back respect for each other somehow? We are woefully unenlightened in this country and seriously need a re-set of our priorities.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1946 on: June 26, 2022, 07:48:02 PM »

Roe v Wade = Overturned.

I will agree with you on this. We should never rely on being able to have an abortion for irresponsible sexual behavior. So what do we do about it? Do young people need better sex education in school? What about the older women and men? How do you tell them to change their attitude and their practices toward sex?

I think what goes hand and hand with this is our present disrespect for women in society. Women still do not have equality in this country and because of that, women are not really full citizens yet. I say we are second-class citizens, along with people with a darker skin color, poor people, and more.

So what do we do about it? Education? Raising awareness? Bringing back respect for each other somehow? We are woefully unenlightened in this country and seriously need a re-set of our priorities.

What rights do men have that women do not?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1947 on: June 26, 2022, 07:55:52 PM »

This is a sh-t hole country.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1948 on: June 26, 2022, 07:59:07 PM »

I liked your post because I agree with it, but you can't expect people to behave so reasonably.

I agree, I don’t pretend to know how swing voters think, but it’s not hard to imagine that some swing voters who were ready to say Let’s Go Brandon over gas prices have now sobered up because they suddenly could die in a hospital if they had an ectopic pregnancy and a doctor afraid of lawsuits.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1949 on: June 26, 2022, 08:33:03 PM »

Da Fonz is right as usual.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 113  
« previous next »