DDNN 2nd/Final Presidential Debate!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:01:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  DDNN 2nd/Final Presidential Debate!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DDNN 2nd/Final Presidential Debate!  (Read 563 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2022, 04:54:34 PM »
« edited: June 15, 2022, 08:27:08 PM by Fmr. Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

Hello and welcome to the 2nd and final DDNN debate. This debate will feature citizen questions, foreign policy questions, and also ask about a few game reform proposals.

Your Candidates are:

MB
Cao
Ishan
Pieman
WB
HCP
S019

Due to the limited time until the election, the quicker we can proceed through the debate, the better. Candidates should take a MAXIMUM of 36 hours to answer. The final round may extend into the first hours of voting.

We will forgo a formal opening statements period, though candidates may include an opening paragraph in their post if desired.

First Round of Questions:

1. (From Really Super) Question for all candidates: If elected, will you recognize the independence of kō Hawaiʻi Pae ʻĀina, reaffirm the continuity of Hawaiian sovereignty and restore official Atlasian diplomatic recognition of the independent Hawaiian nation-state?

2. (From Reactionary) Given the dramatic increase in federal spending over the last year and the discovery that there is already a 100% on the rich is there a way to pay for the budget that doesnt involve tax increases on the middle class?

3. Do you support repealing the New Great Society Act, in part or in full? If you would repeal only part of it, specify what you would strike.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 05:00:26 PM »

1. No
2. No
3. No
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 05:09:12 PM »

First Round of Questions:

1. (From Really Super) Question for all candidates: If elected, will you recognize the independence of kō Hawaiʻi Pae ʻĀina, reaffirm the continuity of Hawaiian sovereignty and restore official Atlasian diplomatic recognition of the independent Hawaiian nation-state?

2. (From Reactionary) Given the dramatic increase in federal spending over the last year and the discovery that there is already a 100% on the rich is there a way to pay for the budget that doesnt involve tax increases on the middle class?

3. Do you support repealing the New Great Society Act, in part or in full? If you would repeal only part of it, specify what you would strike.

1. No, the Fremont region deems Hawaii as part of it as do I. Hawaii is part of Atlasia, but that doesn't mean we should disregard its history and heritage. By executive order, I pledge to establish National Hawaiian Heritage Weekend each year in the third week of May. This ensures a continuity of celebrations for Native Hawaiians and Hawaiian Americans.

2. Of course there is. We need to reduce spending substantially in the areas of foreign and defense aid. This will help to balance out the other aforementioned tax credits and tax cuts I plan to implement.

3. No, I do not plan to repeal any part of the New Great Society Act. I deem this legislation effective for providing for our most vulnerable, and it helps to stimulate the economy. However, we need to ensure that this program is managed soundly.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 12:58:38 AM »

Opening: I am the candidate of furrocracy, that is all.

Questions:
1) If elected, will you recognize the independence of kō Hawaiʻi Pae ʻĀina, reaffirm the continuity of Hawaiian sovereignty and restore official Atlasian diplomatic recognition of the independent Hawaiian nation-state?

Not immediately, but I'd be open to the idea of the GM running an NPC referendum with campaigning similar to the NPC elections. This could both put the issue to rest and also gauge interest in a full revival of NPC elections.

2) Given the dramatic increase in federal spending over the last year and the discovery that there is already a 100% on the rich is there a way to pay for the budget that doesnt involve tax increases on the middle class?

As I said previously my administration would look into several ways to mitigate the budget imbalance at the moment. I would make tax increases on the middle class a last resort option to preserve a strong safety net.

3) Do you support repealing the New Great Society Act, in part or in full? If you would repeal only part of it, specify what you would strike.

Highly unlikely. I will do everything in my power to defend the New Great Society initiatives that we have. In those cases where these programs fail to eradicate poverty, I will not hesitate to augment them. But we need to take time to find out the effects of these.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 03:55:53 AM »

Yes, as long as the people of Hawai'i wish to be free of Atlasian domination I'll grant them that wish.

Yes, cut spending on overspent areas like defense and security and redirect that elsewhere and you can get a budget in order.

No, not at all.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 11:06:15 AM »

Clear it with Denver first and then we can talk. I don't mind an NPC referendum but I hope the groups pushing for it realize they'll need a lot more than just that to go through with their aims.

2. (From Reactionary) Given the dramatic increase in federal spending over the last year and the discovery that there is already a 100% on the rich is there a way to pay for the budget that doesn't involve tax increases on the middle class?

A lot of temporary COVID-related programs are winding down – and if they weren't designed to be temporary for whatever reason we can still take a look at modifying them to reduce spending in that direction. There's plenty we can do before hitting tax hikes on the middle class.

I'm not repealing anything. My main concern during debate on the bill was with the rather large CUBI and I want to look further into its retroactive efficacy if circumstances permit. I certainly am not touching the rest of the bill as it mostly comprises a bunch of proven long-term investment that's already being implemented for Atlasians' benefit.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 01:58:34 AM »

Second Round:

1. One idea to reform the game, a version of which is advocated by the S019 campaign, involves eliminating player-candidate elections in favor of conducting only simulated NPC elections. What are your thoughts on this proposal?

2. Others suggest that we should keep player-candidate elections but reduce the number of offices avaliable. Possibilities could include eliminating the At-Large Regional Seats (so we just have the nationwide and subregional), reducing the number of at-large national seats (from 9 to say 7), or strictly confining regional legislatures to 3 representatives. What are your thoughts on this proposal?

3. Another way to reform the game could be to eliminate player-run regional governments entirely. The GM, perhaps with an Assistant or two, would simulate regional actions. Players would only staff the federal government. What are your thoughts on this proposal?

4. Lincoln currently automatically recalls regional legislators who miss 4 final votes in a row, or 8 final votes during the session as a whole. Would you support a similar rule for the Federal Senate? Why or why not?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 11:39:10 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2022, 12:04:22 AM by Lincoln Senator Joseph Cao »

1. One idea to reform the game, a version of which is advocated by the S019 campaign, involves eliminating player-candidate elections in favor of conducting only simulated NPC elections. What are your thoughts on this proposal?

Elections where players can act as both voters and candidates are what makes this game unique and I'm not getting rid of that, full stop.

2. Others suggest that we should keep player-candidate elections but reduce the number of offices avaliable. Possibilities could include eliminating the At-Large Regional Seats (so we just have the nationwide and subregional), reducing the number of at-large national seats (from 9 to say 7), or strictly confining regional legislatures to 3 representatives. What are your thoughts on this proposal?

I might look into some version of changing the size of the Senate but I'm not up for messing with regional legislatures directly; they should have the freedom to set their own rules and see what works and what doesn't.

3. Another way to reform the game could be to eliminate player-run regional governments entirely. The GM, perhaps with an Assistant or two, would simulate regional actions. Players would only staff the federal government. What are your thoughts on this proposal?

Remember that entire post I made about the importance of the regions to the game? Not going to eliminate them as an avenue for people to play the game, not now, not ever.

4. Lincoln currently automatically recalls regional legislators who miss 4 final votes in a row, or 8 final votes during the session as a whole. Would you support a similar rule for the Federal Senate? Why or why not?

The rule makes perfect sense for Lincoln given its small legislature and vulnerability to inactivity, but the federal Senate is the largest legislature we've ever had in the game. As long as the PPT hews to the current Senate rules – particularly the new resolution we're passing to improve PPT-Senate engagement – I think we'll manage without it.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 12:01:02 AM »

No

Not really, there is a tax imbalance in the current brackets which necessitates lowering rates at the top and bringing in a sales tax to compensate

No, I don't, though perhaps I'd explore the extent that universal school breakfast would be funded since many children eat their breakfast at home.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 12:02:33 AM »

Second Round:

I support it.

This would probably work, but seems like a band-aid.

This obviously needs to be done.

No, we simply do not have the talent pool to justify such a rule.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 01:07:46 AM »

No, I don't support this. It would take away the whole focus of the game which is allowing people to vote and run for office.

I don't care what the ultimate composition of Congress is as long as it's unicameral. If the regions want to limit their legislatures it's up to them but the federal government should not be mandating that.

No, see my above answer.

I don't support this because it would add another layer of bureaucracy and keeping track of this would be a hassle.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 09:46:17 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2022, 10:26:14 AM by Deputy PPT WB #NoToJo »

Second Round:

I also proposed this idea, but I want to stress that I'd only support this as a last resort should it seem like the game is seriously going to die within a month or two. Luckily, with 8 candidates running for President (at least until recently) I think it's safe to say that things will be active enough at least for a little while. Still, this is an idea that should be kept around in the public consciousness in the case of things getting worse.

I'm not so sure about that. Part of why unicameralism happened was the fact that regional representation is equally balanced by national. Removing opportunities for new players to win would also serve to hurt the game. If regions want to restrict themselves to 3 seats that's their own prerogative.

Again, removing opportunities for new players to win would hurt the game. This would also put unnecessary stress on the GM because they would still have to do everything else they do now on top of simulating regional elections.

Maybe. It would be a lot of work tracking that, but promoting activity is a good idea. The main argument I can think against it is that one inactive senator isn't as big of a deal as one inactive GC member. One case has 1/18 of the body inactive and the other has 1/5.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 10:18:44 AM »

(First round)
1. Nope, Hawaii is part of Atlasia now and always will be. History happened, we own it, that's it.
2. There clearly is. There is a lot of unnecessary spending by the government on the military, defense and foreign aid. Higher taxes on certain things like stock trading is also an option.
3. Definitely not. It seems like it helps those in need and we need to ensure it is running well and without waste. The poor are the most vulnerable in society and need as much help as they can get.

(Second round)
1. Definitely not. We need democracy, its vital to Atlasia. Player elections make it so anyone can put forward a platform of their own and contribute to the political discourse. That is what makes this game something special.
2. I'll have to see what the legislature has to say about that, but I think it might be a possibility for reorganization or a cut in size. Too much bureaucracy is never healthy.
3. I would put this up to a referendum. Personally I think regional governments have too much power and need to be downsized, but complete elimination should be a decision left to the people.
4. No. This would overcomplicate things and it isn't really feasible at this point.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2022, 08:14:18 PM »

Final Round

1. GM Crane settled the China-Taiwan Crisis by getting China to agree to full autonomy for Taiwan: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=488796.msg8574561#msg8574561

Do you approve of this agreement and is there anything you would like to alter?

2. Do you feel the Southern Atlasian Border is adequately secure? Why or why not?

3. Are you satisfied with Atlasian Policy toward Russia and how would you continue to counter this potentially dangerous nuclear power?

4. Generally speaking, is it Atlasia's job to get involved in providing humanitarian or economic aid to other countries, or should we remain focused solely on our own affairs?

Candidates should also provide a closing statement for the debate.

This thread will remain open throughout the election and you may answer at any point.

Thanks again for all your participation!
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2022, 08:50:00 PM »

I support an NPC ranked choice referendum to determine Hawaii's future and presuming Hawaii votes yes on independence or further autotomy, I would recognize the results of the referendum.

I support a VAT and I support means testing various welfare programs by putting them down a sliding scale to ensure that those who need it get the benefits of it while those who don't need them - don't get them or get lesser benefits than those who need them more.

I oppose repealing any part of the New Great Society Act.

I think this proposal is an interesting proposal and my ideal system of government is a parliamentary system but ultimately - Atlasia is a combination between being a government and a election simulator and I would support simulated elections if there is a consensus for it.

No. These changes would hurt third parties and result in large thresholds. I oppose mandating the regions because I believe the regions have a right and can determine the size of their legislature.

No - these would hurt new player's chances of getting into the game and I would quite frankly support abolishing the regions before I'd support this proposal. I am open and I would like regions to experiment on their legislatures - like having a Parliament or a universal legislature instead of the Nebraska style legislature the South and Lincoln has but its up to the respective regions on what they want their legislatures to be like.

No because it will inevitably get ignored after it is passed.

I oppose this agreement because after the 50 years are over - China with its current leadership will invade Taiwan without the protection of Atlasia. I hope it gets renegotiated to allow Taiwan to get Atlasian military equipment.

2. Do you feel the Southern Atlasian Border is adequately secure? Why or why not?

Yes.

3. Are you satisfied with Atlasian Policy toward Russia and how would you continue to counter this potentially dangerous nuclear power?

I am satisfied by Atlasian policy and I support the efforts by Ukraine and Georgia to get their land back.

Closing Statement

Thank you folks for being here and it is so nice to see the other candidates here.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2022, 10:32:07 PM »

Final Round

1. GM Crane settled the China-Taiwan Crisis by getting China to agree to full autonomy for Taiwan: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=488796.msg8574561#msg8574561

I absolutely do not approve of this agreement. It's basically a tankie wank fantasy which I'm near certain Lumine, or the next GM, will retcon assuming the senate can get behind that.

I think things are fine at the moment. We haven't heard of any crisis there, and we've enacted some reforms to deal with the issue of legal immigration being so difficult that potential migrants feel forced to cross illegally.

For the most part things are fine. We need to continue to step up economic cooperation between ourselves and Europe to move as a united front so that Russia can't hold them hostage economically should any issue arise. Especially we should be worried that Russia takes our focus on Taiwan as a chance to try and take large swaths of Ukraine.

4. Generally speaking, is it Atlasia's job to get involved in providing humanitarian or economic aid to other countries, or should we remain focused solely on our own affairs?

I think there's a perfectly fine balance. Helping others in the world does help us here at home long term. I can't imagine how many potentially world-changing people have died of malnourishment in the Sahel or other horrible conditions in underdeveloped regions of the world.

But that being said we do need to care about our own citizens first. We can't have people dying in squalor here either. Atlasia should be the first priority, but we should not turn completely inwards and give no care for the world either.

Closing
Atlasia, this is a time for change. I have proven on this debate stage time and time again that I am the candidate for the future. From Fenn Idaho, to Furry Mississippi, and to Paw Paw Michigan, we all are united. We must realize our true destiny to journey to the stars and break free. Thank you.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2022, 12:01:19 PM »

On China’s end this is, nearly stroke for stroke, the agreement that it signed with regard to Hong Kong four decades ago. I personally do not need to be reminded, nor do I need to remind you all, how that turned out or how it will turn out for the Republic of China if they go along with it, as they surely know full well.

I don’t see why it wouldn't be absent any stories to the contrary. We’ve been very fair on border security.

Certainly – we have likewise been nothing but diplomatic toward them. Our main geopolitical aim insofar as Russia is concerned should be mitigation of any efforts to destabilize surrounding nations, European or Asian, but geopolitics isn’t everything and the kind of economic outreach we have given to European and Near Eastern states must continue if we are to maintain the focus on humanitarian aims that past administrations have established.

There can be direct economic intervention or support of other humanitarian organizations operating in areas where outside support is desperately needed. There can be robust policies here at home that promote Atlasians’ health and wellbeing and economic situations. Both of those can be true simultaneously. We’re a nation perfectly capable of walking and chewing gum simultaneously.

Closing Statement

We’ve touched on this here and at past debates as well as at large: we need fixing beyond a new direction or a new policy combo that will provide transformational change or whatever. We’re all here asking each other where we should go for dinner while the engine is busted, the valves are crusted up, and the hood is billowing smoke – and only one candidate is calling people's attention to all this. As I’ve said, Atlasia needs its engine fixed, and where better a place to start than by voting?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies