Senate Committee Chairmanships announced
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:02:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senate Committee Chairmanships announced
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Senate Committee Chairmanships announced  (Read 8560 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2006, 08:40:50 PM »

I think Down and everyone needs to calm down.

But If i move to NJ before 2009, I wont vote for Corzine.

But it is unlikely id move there before 2009 let alone ever.

Best advice I can give you: Don't

I had this discussion with my mom today, she insists that living right near NYC is great and that we can learn to live with pushy gay activists and radical liberals, I insist a move to the Deep South is necessary.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2006, 08:42:22 PM »

Corzine and Blunt do the same things:

Finance their campaigns through illegal means, and they win their elections with voting machines.
That is extremely false. How did Corzine finance his campaign illegally?

ah so you admit that he won his election with voting machines?since you just metioned the campaign

Senate race was fixed, governor's race was b/c he ran against the worst candidate ever place forth by a major party
Conan
conan

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2006, 08:43:01 PM »

Youre really missing out. If you've ever been to nice parts of NJ, everyone would want to live here. I have never been to MO so I can't make great judgement as to whether I'd ever move there. However, the word is that it sucks and everyone's on meth.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2006, 08:43:53 PM »

I had this discussion with my mom today, she insists that living right near NYC is great and that we can learn to live with pushy gay activists and radical liberals, I insist a move to the Deep South is necessary.

You might like Missouri. Our Democrats and Republicans are good and bad. We have a Conservative GOP Wing, a Moderate GOP wing, a Moderate DEM wing, and a Liberla Dem wing, but Most MO politicians are moderate.

That's funny, NJ has a communist wing, an ultra liberal wing, a somewhat ultra liberal wing, a moderately liberal wing, a liberal Republican wing, and then myself and about 9 others are conservatives
Conan
conan

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2006, 08:44:47 PM »

Corzine and Blunt do the same things:

Finance their campaigns through illegal means, and they win their elections with voting machines.
That is extremely false. How did Corzine finance his campaign illegally?

ah so you admit that he won his election with voting machines?since you just metioned the campaign
That's never been alleged and he led in every poll and it's a democratic state.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2006, 08:44:54 PM »

Youre really missing out. If you've ever been to nice parts of NJ, everyone would want to live here. I have never been to MO so I can't make great judgement as to whether I'd ever move there. However, the word is that it sucks and everyone's on meth.

Conan, I believe you also live in Bergen County, what is so great?  A horrible county executive just got reelected w/60% of the vote and the world's largest terror target is miles away
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2006, 08:54:55 PM »

lol, there's no way you're a real poster.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2006, 08:55:49 PM »

On my 2nd trip to NYC in 2002 I and several friends from UT Dallas (which I was attending at the time) took the train from Penn Station to Newark. I've heard all sorts of crap about how bad and ugly Newark is but at least the Newark I've seen (around the Community Food Bank of NJ where we volunteered) looked nice and quaint.

It must have been by the Bears stadium, that area is nice, the Ironbelt is really bad, but Cory Booker is doing a good job stopping crime, Sharpe James was among the worst mayor's in history
Conan
conan

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2006, 08:57:08 PM »

Conan, I believe you also live in Bergen County, what is so great?  A horrible county executive just got reelected w/60% of the vote and the world's largest terror target is miles away
I dont live in Bergen, I live in Sussex. However the towns in Bergen are great. It's convenient and theres a high standard of living. I plan to move there sometime.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2006, 08:58:38 PM »

Let's switch, I always wanted to live up there, now that's a nice place

I dont live in Bergen, I live in Sussex. However the towns in Bergen are great. It's convenient and theres a high standard of living. I plan to move there sometime.
Conan
conan

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2006, 09:00:59 PM »

Let's switch, I always wanted to live up there, now that's a nice place

You live in South Bergen. I would like to live in North Bergen.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2006, 09:06:17 PM »

Because I live in NJ and being a conservative Democrat making a hardcore right-wing extremist.

With all due respect, don't give me that crap.  I live in a state that voted for Kerry more strongly than yours does, and I live in a strongly Democratic part of it, and I'm probably the most conservative person in the circle of people I know.  No one considers me a right-wing extremist.

And what does New Jersey being liberal have to do with defending the argument about the far-right existing only to counter the far-left?

I bet you live in a pleasant suburb that's not even that Democratic anyway.

Anyway, I like being part of the far-right because shouldn't you go where you agree w/people?  I think America needs to keep family values and not give my money to lazy poor people.

I'm not telling you not to be very conservative.  There are solid conservatives here who do not spit anywhere near as much venom as you do.

My point is that half your posts are complaining about far-left abortion activists and the people in the gay rights movement who, uh, do whatever it is that bothers you about what they do.  You admit that it's a tiny segment of the population, but haven't explained yet why you waste so much time talking about it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2006, 09:12:19 PM »

Alcon, how would you describe me ideologically? Do me and you think the same way?

Haha, we probably disagree on many things, assuming you're a social centre-conservative/economic centre-liberal.  I'm the other side of the moderate wing, I guess.  Wink

But I could really care less, because you're a reasonable guy, and I don't think "populists" are the spawn of Satan just because I don't agree with them on some things.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2006, 09:35:46 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2006, 09:40:27 PM by Verily »

Because I live in NJ and being a conservative Democrat making a hardcore right-wing extremist.

With all due respect, don't give me that crap.  I live in a state that voted for Kerry more strongly than yours does, and I live in a strongly Democratic part of it, and I'm probably the most conservative person in the circle of people I know.  No one considers me a right-wing extremist.

And what does New Jersey being liberal have to do with defending the argument about the far-right existing only to counter the far-left?

Much of South Bergen in neatly split about 50-50, but that's mostly because the GOP used to have a big Italian-American machine going there that has been sputtering out in the last few election cycles. In any case, Bergen as a whole went 51-48 Kerry, so it's hardly a liberal bastion.

I could make a case that my 74-23 Kerry town in Bergen is a liberal bastion, but none of South Bergen can say that.

Edit: For anyone interested, here's Bergen in 2004 (blue is Kerry, red is Bush, the scale goes by 5%). North Bergen is fiscally rightist and monstrously wealthy, Central Bergen is a mix of social liberals and fiscal leftists, and South Bergen is a split between fiscal leftists and social conservatives.

@jamespol: Everyone wants a seat on the Appropriations committee. I am of the opinion that Appropriations should go to the most junior senators so it has a rapid turnover rate. Sadly, the opposite is true, and Byrd will be almost as bad as Stevens (if not worse). At least he's not senile (yet).
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2006, 09:55:49 PM »

Much of South Bergen in neatly split about 50-50, but that's mostly because the GOP used to have a big Italian-American machine going there that has been sputtering out in the last few election cycles. In any case, Bergen as a whole went 51-48 Kerry, so it's hardly a liberal bastion.

I could make a case that my 74-23 Kerry town in Bergen is a liberal bastion, but none of South Bergen can say that.

Edit: For anyone interested, here's Bergen in 2004 (blue is Kerry, red is Bush, the scale goes by 5%). North Bergen is fiscally rightist and monstrously wealthy, Central Bergen is a mix of social liberals and fiscal leftists, and South Bergen is a split between fiscal leftists and social conservatives.

@jamespol: Everyone wants a seat on the Appropriations committee. I am of the opinion that Appropriations should go to the most junior senators so it has a rapid turnover rate. Sadly, the opposite is true, and Byrd will be almost as bad as Stevens (if not worse). At least he's not senile (yet).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutherford%2C_NJ

The one thing your right about is my town having only a slight-left tilt, but we use to have a far-right tilt and then Hudson county goons like our mayor came in
Butch McCracken
Rookie

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2006, 10:07:51 PM »

I would have like to have seen Minnesota's newly elected senator, Amy Klobouchar to chair the subcomitee of Drugs and Crime. As a very successful District Attorney of Hennepin County, I would think she be a good fit.
Deano963

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2006, 10:14:55 PM »

Sigh............... Sad

So.................I started this thread around 5:30 hoping to stimulate some insightful discussion about Senate committee chairmanships, the affect the specific Senators who lead them will have, the power these men and women will yield and how the individual committees will be changed by their new leaders as opposed to their former ones.

I get back from going out to dinner and seeing Borat (AWESOME movie by the way) and see there are 6 pages of comments! Yah! Smiley

......Only then do I read on and see that the thread has, like so many others, taken a turn for the worse and been hijakced and turned into the 879,438,239,345,234,007,129,389th thread about New Jersey......

(slam my head into desk...)

And it was all started by Down providing us with this little nugget of wisdom:

I really wouldn't care as long abortions are illegal, nothing would be more crushing to femininists, gays, crazy lunatics, mental patients, and other peole who think murder is acceptable.  I would get such a long lasting high from that that no Democrat victory would phase me

My question is to everyone else who let this thread get so far off track........why do you feel the need to respond the insane rantings a 15-year-old neocon bed-wetter and ruin an otherwise perfectly good topic?

Seriously, everything he says, even if it is discernable what he is trying to say, unlike this;

But we might actually have enough votes by now, finally, b/c the seriously the major of the American public thinks about SCOTUS for one reason

is completely and utterly idiotic, and off-topic to say the least. Seriously, IGNORE the asinine comments and don't respond to them, you are basically arguing with a doorknob. There is no point to it!!!

What is the solution to this problem?

Do we need to just have a permanent thread where all the New Jersey posters can just insult eachother to their hearts' content and/or until they are blue in the face?
Conan
conan

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2006, 10:36:57 PM »

Anyway, I like being part of the far-right because shouldn't you go where you agree w/people?  I think America needs to keep family values and not give my money to lazy poor people.

I'm not telling you not to be very conservative.  There are solid conservatives here who do not spit anywhere near as much venom as you do.

My point is that half your posts are complaining about far-left abortion activists and the people in the gay rights movement who, uh, do whatever it is that bothers you about what they do.  You admit that it's a tiny segment of the population, but haven't explained yet why you waste so much time talking about it.
NJ voted the same percent for Kerry as your state did. However Kerry received more votes then in Washington in NJ.
Conan
conan

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2006, 10:44:12 PM »

Lautenberg wanted to chair the Homeland Security Committee. It'd make sense being from NJ and we have the most dangerous 2 miles in America. But Lieberman is stupid and has to be chair or else he'd switch. So Lautenberg isnt on the committee anymore and he took a seat in the appropriations committee which I am happy about. Menendez increased his load adding the Foreign Relations committee to his bundle. If theres one thing we can agree on with Menendez he as a reputations for being a workaholic.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2006, 10:45:38 PM »

Lautenberg wanted to chair the Homeland Security Committee. It'd make sense being from NJ and we have the most dangerous 2 miles in America. But Lieberman is stupid and has to be chair or else he'd switch. So Lautenberg isnt on the committee anymore and he took a seat in the appropriations committee which I am happy about. Menendez increased his load adding the Foreign Relations committee to his bundle. If theres one thing we can agree on with Menendez he as a reputations for being a workaholic.

Is there a good website for finding all of the committee assignments?
Deano963

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2006, 10:56:20 PM »

Sigh............... Sad

So.................I started this thread around 5:30 hoping to stimulate some insightful discussion about Senate committee chairmanships, the affect the specific Senators who lead them will have, the power these men and women will yield and how the individual committees will be changed by their new leaders as opposed to their former ones.

I get back from going out to dinner and seeing Borat (AWESOME movie by the way) and see there are 6 pages of comments! Yah! Smiley

......Only then do I read on and see that the thread has, like so many others, taken a turn for the worse and been hijakced and turned into the 879,438,239,345,234,007,129,389th thread about New Jersey......

(slam my head into desk...)

And it was all started by Down providing us with this little nugget of wisdom:

I really wouldn't care as long abortions are illegal, nothing would be more crushing to femininists, gays, crazy lunatics, mental patients, and other peole who think murder is acceptable.  I would get such a long lasting high from that that no Democrat victory would phase me

My question is to everyone else who let this thread get so far off track........why do you feel the need to respond the insane rantings a 15-year-old neocon bed-wetter and ruin an otherwise perfectly good topic?

Seriously, everything he says, even if it is discernable what he is trying to say, unlike this;

But we might actually have enough votes by now, finally, b/c the seriously the major of the American public thinks about SCOTUS for one reason

is completely and utterly idiotic, and off-topic to say the least. Seriously, IGNORE the asinine comments and don't respond to them, you are basically arguing with a doorknob. There is no point to it!!!

What is the solution to this problem?

Do we need to just have a permanent thread where all the New Jersey posters can just insult eachother to their hearts' content and/or until they are blue in the face?

Deano! Your great!

What are you ideologically?

First off, thanks. I thought my mom was just trying to make me feel good all those years she told me that I was great.

As far as ideology goes, eh... that's kind of a tough question b/c it annoys me when people label themselves ideologically with some line so specific like "social moderate-conservative populist with some economic libertarian leanings with a dash of communist Marxism" - that bothers me to the 9th degree. SO basically I'm not really into using a bunch of relative terms to describe my political philosophy.

.....But, since there's really no other way to do it, I'll try. Wink

Well, obviously I'm a Democrat. A proud one at that, btw. Beyond that though, I'm liberal on a lot of things (education equality, choice, gay rights, trade, civil rights, taxes, healthcare, minimum wage, unions and labor), moderate on others (welfare, defense), even conservative on a couple things (immigration, affirmative action). I guess of all the tags that are thrown around these days I would say populist fits me pretty well, libertarian in the social sense, not the economic sense - as I do not believe in the power of the free market to magically solve all the world's problems. Oh, and most importantly, I agree 110% with the great Thomas Jeferson that a wall should be built between Church and State. Today's so-called 'Religious Right' is neither, IMO.

Hope that helps. Wink
Conan
conan

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2006, 10:56:31 PM »

Is there a good website for finding all of the committee assignments?

Dem: http://democrats.senate.gov/
http://democrats.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=265867&

Rep: can't find.
Conan
conan

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2006, 10:59:44 PM »

Well, obviously I'm a Democrat. A proud one at that, btw. Beyond that though, I'm liberal on a lot of things (education equality, choice, gay rights, trade, civil rights, taxes, healthcare, minimum wage, unions and labor), moderate on others (welfare, defense), even conservative on a couple things (immigration, affirmative action). I guess of all the tags that are thrown around these days I would say populist fits me pretty well, libertarian in the social sense, not the economic sense - as I do not believe in the power of the free market to magically solve all the world's problems. Oh, and most importantly, I agree 110% with the great Thomas Jeferson that a wall should be built between Church and State. Today's so-called 'Religious Right' is neither, IMO.

Hope that helps. Wink
You have just described me too. I just say I'm liberal however.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2006, 11:26:35 PM »

Don't be so hard on DWTL guys, he has a simplistic way of expressing himself, and I dont understand why he holds the views he does, but he sees certain things through a different kind of frame that's valid in its own way.

Dividing up the committee chairs between the parties makes no sense for the majority. Why would they elect a leader that promies to do that? It only decreases opportunity within the caucus. Also one reason why positions like NRCC/DCCC chair come from inside the caucus- another opportunity for advancement.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2006, 11:34:16 PM »

If I were a Senate Majority Leader, id appoint minority party members to chair some committees.

Specter for Judiciary and Snowe for homeland security wouldn't be horrible.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies