Confirmation Hearing: Ninja for Secretary of the Office of Internal Affairs (Voting - 8hrs) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:17:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Ninja for Secretary of the Office of Internal Affairs (Voting - 8hrs) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Ninja for Secretary of the Office of Internal Affairs (Voting - 8hrs)  (Read 1011 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« on: April 26, 2022, 10:38:58 PM »

This office has amounted to little more than patronage in the past and with little real function, I fail to see the need to bring it back. It is just another example of the offices surplus that drove the current situation. So many have warned of the danger of excess offices, not just elected ones, but bureaucratic ones like these that serve no function.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 10:58:39 PM »

This office has amounted to little more than patronage in the past and with little real function, I fail to see the need to bring it back. It is just another example of the offices surplus that drove the current situation. So many have warned of the danger of excess offices, not just elected ones, but bureaucratic ones like these that serve no function.
This is a talking point I've seen plenty of times before but I don't know how to respond if you can't say what the negative consequences of the SoIA office actually are, nor how it drove the "current situation" given that the office has not existed for 3 years. So until you do it's just empty words.

It contributes to excess offices, more offices exist than should, nearly all active players are in an office and then some. My point is merely that we have too many offices right now and should be downsizing how many we have, not having more. In fact, you see literal random zombies having to fill office spots since enough active people can't be found. So, in that sense, we absolutely have too many offices, ideally there would be more active people than offices so that there is actually competition for those offices, at the moment, this last election aside, that clearly does not really exist.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 11:07:39 PM »

This is a talking point I've seen plenty of times before but I don't know how to respond if you can't say what the negative consequences of the SoIA office actually are, nor how it drove the "current situation" given that the office has not existed for 3 years. So until you do it's just empty words.

It contributes to excess offices, more offices exist than should, nearly all active players are in an office and then some. My point is merely that we have too many offices right now and should be downsizing how many we have, not having more. In fact, you see literal random zombies having to fill office spots since enough active people can't be found. So, in that sense, we absolutely have too many offices, ideally there would be more active people than offices so that there is actually competition for those offices, at the moment, this last election aside, that clearly does not really exist.
Well I hope that I'm not considered a zombie around here. I was an active secretary last time and I fully intend on doing that again. We also had 16 candidates for 9 at large senate seats last weekend so it doesn't really feel like there's more offices than players. So that still doesn't establish how my appointment would do harm to Atlasia.

It's not so much about your appointment, it's that the office basically has very little tangible value and that it's been used as patronage in the past. All of the boring bureaucratic stuff is usually simulated by the GM anyways. The only real actual value of this position would be updating the Wiki, but I don't think people are particularly interested in that right now.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 11:17:45 PM »

Well I hope that I'm not considered a zombie around here. I was an active secretary last time and I fully intend on doing that again. We also had 16 candidates for 9 at large senate seats last weekend so it doesn't really feel like there's more offices than players. So that still doesn't establish how my appointment would do harm to Atlasia.

It's not so much about your appointment, it's that the office basically has very little tangible value and that it's been used as patronage in the past. All of the boring bureaucratic stuff is usually simulated by the GM anyways. The only real actual value of this position would be updating the Wiki, but I don't think people are particularly interested in that right now.
Well when I was first held this position I was appointed by Weatherboy, who I voted against in the October 2018 election. Maybe some people find that surprising, but I voted for Yankee. So hardly patronage. The position also gives me the ability to take actions which tangibly impact Atlasia, and I fully intend on doing so. The GM can simulate the actions of NPCs and the condition of the country, but they can't directly impact Atlasian policy. The SoIA can. Furthermore, part of my job is being an advisor to the president. With assistance from an experienced policymaker, we can expect our president to perform better in office.

The thing is Congress just passes policy and I don't think the implementation of it is something worth simulating honestly. Like if a new healthcare reform is passed, after some time it just works. If anything this risks creating a situation where a SoIA who opposed a policy that passed could just intentionally make it not implement properly and thus rendering that policy useless. Again, I don't see the use to simulating this background delegation and it could actually make things worse. As for being an advisor to the president, that is fine, the president could create some appointed advisor role, I don't see why that warrants bringing back a Cabinet post that everyone agreed was useless.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 12:42:19 PM »

NAY
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies