Confirmation Hearing for Scott for the Vice Presidency (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:36:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing for Scott for the Vice Presidency (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing for Scott for the Vice Presidency (Confirmed)  (Read 1262 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2022, 08:51:18 PM »
« edited: May 09, 2022, 04:15:46 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Pursuant to Executive Order 56-08, Scott is nominated to be Vice President. As the President of the Senate is not available due to having assumed the Presidency as of yesterday, the rules state that I, as PPT shall bring nominations to the floor and open confirmation hearings.

The nominee shall make an opening statement.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 08:57:12 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2022, 09:10:04 PM by Scott 🇺🇦 »

Keeping my remarks brief and my intentions transparent here, I have accepted President UNL's nomination for me to the Vice Presidency as a temporary caretaker. I still intend on pursuing my plans for next month's election in Frémont.

On principle, I believe that the Vice President should not deviate from the President's position. And so, I will be putting my own views aside and voting with the administration in the event of a tie, with the understanding that I was not elected to this temporary post.

I thank the President for putting her confidence in me, and I thank the Senate for its time and consideration.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 09:06:09 PM »

Im voting aye
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 09:10:00 PM »

I intend to support this nomination.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 09:12:03 PM »

I admire Scott for standing up against his usual game allegiances to save us all. His election vote and conscience is clear. While I've had political disagreements with him in the past, we must not let those divide us in the face of the threats before us and the mess we must clean up. I proudly endorse the nomination.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 09:31:41 PM »

It has been my experience that whenever Scott has through sheer misfortune, or desire to pursue other endeavors, to leave office, we have all been worse off for it.

Scott has thoroughly shown his commitments to the Senate as an institution through years as PPT and has shown dedication to the constitution many times over. I could wax on for hours about years of accomplishments, but they would only serve to expand the long list to which most are already familiar.

The nominee has my support.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 09:45:00 PM »

Worked with Scott at many points in my service in Fremont. He’s an excellent person and a fantastic pick for the job. A splendid selection by our new President.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 10:37:47 PM »

I will support the nomination.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 10:40:14 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2022, 10:43:22 PM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

I have worked with Scott to defuse tensions over Kansas before, and he's among the Fremonters I admire the most. I am proud to consider him a friend of mine, going back years. I wholeheartedly endorse this nomination and wish him the best of luck in the confirmation process.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 01:58:48 AM »

Scott and I got off to an interesting start to our relationship in game, to say the least. Having worked with Scott on cooling things over Kansas and trade wars, I know that he is a man of integrity. This goes to show that first impressions shouldn't be taken as gospel and that dialogue can allow people to work together for a common cause. So Atlasian Left feel free to DM me I'm not unreasonable, I'm not the boggy man you think I am. I am happy to endorse Scott for VP.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 04:04:33 PM »

Scott has my complete support.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 07:55:21 PM »

Does the Senate have any questions?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 08:19:55 PM »

What have you been watching lately?

Ive gotten sucked back in to westerns and samurai movies lately.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 09:01:28 PM »

o,

I've been binge-watching King of the Hill on Hulu. I missed out on a really great show growing up.

Glad to hear you're getting into westerns. You know what video game I recommend. I've been trying to get into Westworld and HBO classics like True Blood and Big Love. But I refuse to watch GoT.

Also, every episode of Ed, Edd n Eddy, South Park, and Family Guy are in my bundle. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it.

The last movie I watched is Jackass Forever. It isn't very good.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 09:23:09 PM »

What do you hope to accomplish most by taking this role?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2022, 09:27:18 PM »

o,

I've been binge-watching King of the Hill on Hulu. I missed out on a really great show growing up.

Glad to hear you're getting into westerns. You know what video game I recommend. I've been trying to get into Westworld and HBO classics like True Blood and Big Love. But I refuse to watch GoT.

Also, every episode of Ed, Edd n Eddy, South Park, and Family Guy are in my bundle. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it.

How can we trust a Vice President who pays for cartoons on the internet? Kisscartoon. Ive had whatever cartoon ive ever wanted whenever ive wanted for close to a decade now.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2022, 09:32:42 PM »

Does the Senate have any questions?
o,

How can we trust a Vice President who pays for cartoons on the internet? Kisscartoon. Ive had whatever cartoon ive ever wanted whenever ive wanted for close to a decade now.

Fair enough. I prefer watching stuff on my Firestick so hopefully it won't overwhelm my system, because Kisscartoon is slow for me at times.

But I've been searching for Daria for a while now and just found the complete series on that site. You're a lifesaver.

(Oh, I've also been watching Clone High. All the episodes are on YouTube for free. Very underrated show.)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2022, 11:26:45 PM »

Would you seek to utilize the slots allotted as "potentially VP administered" under the rules?

b.) The sixteenth slot shall be reserved for national emergencies and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

c.) The seventeenth slot shall be reserved for budgetary legislation and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

d.) The eighteenth and nineteenth slots shall be reserved for the President of the Republic of Atlasia and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

e.) The twentieth slot shall be reserved for public submissions and shall be introduced by the President of the Senate.

As you very well know, I have been pushing for a split administration to lighten the load since last summer (and frankly going on ten years in one form or another, since I first discussed the idea with the legendary Kalwejt prior to his untimely demise as the last Liberal Party VP, but I digress. The bill for this trip down memory lane will be in the mail. Tongue).

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2022, 12:44:44 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2022, 01:00:35 AM by Scott 🇺🇦 »

What do you hope to accomplish most by taking this role?
Would you seek to utilize the slots allotted as "potentially VP administered" under the rules?

b.) The sixteenth slot shall be reserved for national emergencies and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

c.) The seventeenth slot shall be reserved for budgetary legislation and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

d.) The eighteenth and nineteenth slots shall be reserved for the President of the Republic of Atlasia and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

e.) The twentieth slot shall be reserved for public submissions and shall be introduced by the President of the Senate.

As you very well know, I have been pushing for a split administration to lighten the load since last summer (and frankly going on ten years in one form or another, since I first discussed the idea with the legendary Kalwejt prior to his untimely demise as the last Liberal Party VP, but I digress. The bill for this trip down memory lane will be in the mail. Tongue).

Pardon me for not seeing MB's post until now. And hopefully this also addresses Yankee's questions.

As I have said, my role is simply that of a temporary caretaker. I intend to both follow Senate rules and norms and uphold those established by our constitution.

Some might recall I temporarily took this job last year, when Congress was functioning like a train wreck and needed someone to take the wheel. I used my authority as President of Congress to shepherd emergency legislation.

And of course, I will be working closely with PPT Cao and his Deputy.

The budget is definitively a priority of mine, and fortunately we have already scored legislation for FY2023. The process will be much easier, so we ain't keeping it on the floor through October. I will still need our math experts (*cough* Battista *cough*) to finalize the numbers. And I won't deny that the price tag is going to be pretty big.

But we're gonna get it done before June, and I will utilize the powers allocated to the office to fulfill the duties of the Vice President.

Hopefully that answers your questions. I kinda feel like sh!t right now and this is my last post before I take some Xanax and go to Lalaland.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2022, 12:00:43 AM »

Motioning for a final vote
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2022, 12:02:09 AM »

24 hours to object to the motion.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2022, 04:34:12 AM »

The only concern I had was with the appointment of Scott that there was a possibility in a week or two for him to become FM of Fremont. Meaning we would be back here again in a short period of time. But it looks like the heir to the first minister-ship is not going to pursue a snap election. Hence we are unlikely to have to be back here again so soon. Bearing this in mind, I have no objection.

I would like present my proxy for the final vote now: AYE
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2022, 11:24:29 AM »

The only concern I had was with the appointment of Scott that there was a possibility in a week or two for him to become FM of Fremont. Meaning we would be back here again in a short period of time. But it looks like the heir to the first minister-ship is not going to pursue a snap election. Hence we are unlikely to have to be back here again so soon. Bearing this in mind, I have no objection.

I would like present my proxy for the final vote now: AYE

You can only be "elected" to one office at a time but you can hold appointed offices contemporaneously with one elected post. So since Scott is being appointed VP, he could serve out the remainder of the vice presidency term while simultaneously being elected FM and do both simultaneously. If he wanted to be on the ticket in June then he would have to choose between VP and FM but not until that VP term is elected again.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2022, 11:50:10 AM »

A final vote on the nominee is open for 96 hours or until all Senators have voted. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2022, 11:50:29 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: