Sweden and Finland set to join NATO in May
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:00:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sweden and Finland set to join NATO in May
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24
Author Topic: Sweden and Finland set to join NATO in May  (Read 30590 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: January 12, 2023, 03:31:09 PM »

The Greek and Armenians are. Then that’s said the Turkish military had a lot of problems in Syria, when they invaded the Kurdish controlled areas.

Since everybody is acting like they don't know what I meant, I'll clarify.

The U.S. is not scared of Turkey's military. Happy?

Maybe, all of you in Europe are terrified based on these responses lol.

We're not pretending not to know what you meant. You said nobody was afraid of the Turkish military. Unless the US is the only country other than Turkey on the block, I don't think it's too much to point out that it's not a universal opinion (especially here on the International Discussion Board).  If your real meaning was simply that the US doesn't, then that's a different, far less contentious matter.

In all seriousness though - Turkey are a crucial player on NATO's eastern flank, and we have to keep them on side, while hoping we see Erdogan out of power before he does much more damage. I want a NATO that includes the US, Turkey, Finland and Sweden - while not violating the rights of any journalists. Which could be a long-term problem...
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #326 on: January 12, 2023, 05:03:37 PM »

We're not pretending not to know what you meant. You said nobody was afraid of the Turkish military. Unless the US is the only country other than Turkey on the block, I don't think it's too much to point out that it's not a universal opinion (especially here on the International Discussion Board).  If your real meaning was simply that the US doesn't, then that's a different, far less contentious matter.
"And if you don't know, now you know" - The Notorious B.I.G.

In all seriousness though - Turkey are a crucial player on NATO's eastern flank, and we have to keep them on side, while hoping we see Erdogan out of power before he does much more damage. I want a NATO that includes the US, Turkey, Finland and Sweden - while not violating the rights of any journalists. Which could be a long-term problem...
Looks like Erdogan isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

Turkey is a volatile "ally". Their actions against Armenia, the Kurds and Greece is horrible.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #327 on: January 23, 2023, 02:40:57 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2023, 02:48:20 PM by Storr »

FSB investment in the dude who burned the Quran is paying off big time. I just realized that the guy who did it is Danish. Why isn't Erdogan mad at Denmark too?
It's almost like this is a convenient excuse to not support Sweden joining NATO.  
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #328 on: January 23, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »

At this point I have to imagine that Erdogan either never intended to let Sweden in, or is waiting on some secret concession from the US before moving forward. Obviously this is still a great pretext for him to latch onto.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #329 on: January 23, 2023, 03:01:24 PM »

Looks like Erdogan isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

Is this true? I haven't seen Turkish election polls in a while, but last I saw Erdogan had been trailing in the polls by a lot for all of 2022, and the election is not too long from now at this point.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #330 on: January 23, 2023, 03:03:04 PM »

Today Erdogan announced that Turkish elections are being held in May instead of June. So hopefully he loses as some polls say and this finally gets done.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #331 on: January 23, 2023, 03:16:25 PM »

At this point I have to imagine that Erdogan either never intended to let Sweden in, or is waiting on some secret concession from the US before moving forward. Obviously this is still a great pretext for him to latch onto.
I mean, just last week he said Sweden needed to hand over 130 "terrorists" (PKK members). It's not like Sweden was ever going to do that.

“First of all, they need to extradite nearly 130 terrorists in order for their bids to pass our parliament; unfortunately, they have yet to do this,”
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #332 on: January 23, 2023, 03:32:51 PM »

I mean, just last week he said Sweden needed to hand over 130 "terrorists" (PKK members). It's not like Sweden was ever going to do that.

“First of all, they need to extradite nearly 130 terrorists in order for their bids to pass our parliament; unfortunately, they have yet to do this,”

Yeah, this demand was obviously a nonstarter. It's the sort of demand that's so ridiculous that it's either used as an excuse to justify your refusal or as a bargaining chip in a broader negotiation.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #333 on: January 23, 2023, 04:37:09 PM »

Well, at least so far he has trailed almost every poll of the 2023 Presidential race last year. Now, I don't know what the accuracy of pollsters in Turkey it but at least there's a chance that Turkish Putin goes down in the next few months.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #334 on: January 23, 2023, 06:44:13 PM »

Well, at least so far he has trailed almost every poll of the 2023 Presidential race last year. Now, I don't know what the accuracy of pollsters in Turkey it but at least there's a chance that Turkish Putin goes down in the next few months.

He might lose the vote, but can he be prevented from doing a Turkish January 6? Unlike the other two wannabe dictators who lost re-election, there's an entire ecosystem of regime officials whose fates are tied to his: if he goes down, they go down too.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #335 on: January 24, 2023, 09:59:15 AM »

Today Erdogan announced that Turkish elections are being held in May instead of June. So hopefully he loses as some polls say and this finally gets done.

Even if he loses, will he leave office? I fear he could rig the election.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #336 on: January 24, 2023, 11:57:28 AM »

As with Orban, the polls are irrelevant when the government has such total control over the levers of power - it’s not like Trump & Bolsonaro who could be made to go by civil society. Erdogan will probably lose the election, but he will then try to remain in power anyway (and has a better chance of success than Trump/Bolsonaro).
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #337 on: February 01, 2023, 05:45:39 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #338 on: February 01, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »

The quran burnings are a lazy excuse. Why allow one silly person to dictate major political decisions?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #339 on: February 01, 2023, 10:09:46 AM »

It makes me sick that Erdogan is on Putin's side. And yet, if we eject Turkey from NATO, there's no reason for them not to invade Greece. What a horrible timeline.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #340 on: February 01, 2023, 10:18:30 AM »

It makes me sick that Erdogan is on Putin's side. And yet, if we eject Turkey from NATO, there's no reason for them not to invade Greece. What a horrible timeline.
Um, maybe the rest of NATO not wanting a hot war in a member state and the cradle of Western civilization?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #341 on: February 01, 2023, 10:32:51 AM »

Um, maybe the rest of NATO not wanting a hot war in a member state and the cradle of Western civilization?

Friendly reminder to keep in mind who're responding to.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #342 on: February 01, 2023, 11:02:26 AM »

As with Orban, the polls are irrelevant when the government has such total control over the levers of power - it’s not like Trump & Bolsonaro who could be made to go by civil society. Erdogan will probably lose the election, but he will then try to remain in power anyway (and has a better chance of success than Trump/Bolsonaro).

I would say Erdogan is in between those two examples. Imagine a genunely authoritarian Poland (as opposed to the mostly cosplaying from PiS currently) and we might be getting there.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #343 on: February 24, 2023, 07:02:51 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2023, 07:07:46 PM by Storr »

Hungary to send delegation to Sweden, Finland over NATO bids

"Some ruling party lawmakers, he said, resented that “politicians from these countries have insulted Hungary in a crude, unfounded and often vulgar manner in recent years, and now they are asking for a favor.”"

Hungary PM says more talks needed on Finland, Sweden NATO bids

"Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said on Friday that more parliamentary group talks were needed before lawmakers vote on the ratification of Finland and Sweden's NATO membership bids which they will begin debating on Wednesday."
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #344 on: February 27, 2023, 05:16:52 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2023, 12:09:05 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #346 on: March 02, 2023, 12:13:38 PM »

Does that mean Finland is now officially willing to join without Sweden?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #347 on: March 02, 2023, 12:43:09 PM »

The best outcome is probably Erdogan going down in the election and his replacement okaying Sweden and Finland and then kick out Hungary as a trade
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #348 on: March 02, 2023, 03:33:09 PM »

The best outcome is probably Erdogan going down in the election and his replacement okaying Sweden and Finland and then kick out Hungary as a trade

And have a Russian ally right in the heart of Europe?

Surely can’t go wrong there!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #349 on: March 02, 2023, 03:38:08 PM »

And have a Russian ally right in the heart of Europe?

Surely can’t go wrong there!
They are already. Might as well rob them of there veto ability inside NATO
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies