Opinion of BS Bob
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:40:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of BS Bob
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Opinion of BS Bob  (Read 2141 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »

And "anglo radio station" was polite. That station is quite known for it's race-baiting and claiming anglophones are oppressed by the "French fascists" or whatever, if I remember well.

Anglophones are being oppressed in Quebec, as is everyone who is not a Francophone.  It's just that Anglos aren't used to being among the oppressed in North America.

Nonsense. They aren't oppressed, they are just not the majority.

Tell that to the language police.Immigrants to Quebec are not given a choice of which language their children must learn at school.   As you yourself note, children of mixed Franco-Anglo marriages are automatically considered francophones as part of Quebec's policy of forced cultural assimilation. If I were to marry a Quebec francophone woman and move to Quebec to be with her, until I attained Canadian citizenship our children would barred from the public English language schools.  Only French would be offered our children.  If I went into the retail business there, I'd have no choice but to make the signage have French and have it be three times larger than any other language, even if I were operating a Carolina-style barbeque place (or a restaurant offering some other non-French ethnic cuisine.)  When Italian restaurants can get in trouble for using the word pasta on their menu, something is rotten in the province of Quebec.

I'll grant that as far as oppression is concerned, on a scale of 0 to 10, Quebec's is only a 1 or 2, yet it is oppression nonetheless.  I'll also grant that like many oppressions, that perpetrated by Quebec's francophones is a reaction to the oppression they received in earlier times.  But that only explains it, not excuses it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »

Krazen's more cynical.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »

And "anglo radio station" was polite. That station is quite known for it's race-baiting and claiming anglophones are oppressed by the "French fascists" or whatever, if I remember well.

Anglophones are being oppressed in Quebec, as is everyone who is not a Francophone.  It's just that Anglos aren't used to being among the oppressed in North America.

Nonsense. They aren't oppressed, they are just not the majority.

Tell that to the language police.Immigrants to Quebec are not given a choice of which language their children must learn at school.   As you yourself note, children of mixed Franco-Anglo marriages are automatically considered francophones as part of Quebec's policy of forced cultural assimilation. If I were to marry a Quebec francophone woman and move to Quebec to be with her, until I attained Canadian citizenship our children would barred from the public English language schools.  Only French would be offered our children.  If I went into the retail business there, I'd have no choice but to make the signage have French and have it be three times larger than any other language, even if I were operating a Carolina-style barbeque place (or a restaurant offering some other non-French ethnic cuisine.)  When Italian restaurants can get in trouble for using the word pasta on their menu, something is rotten in the province of Quebec.

I'll grant that as far as oppression is concerned, on a scale of 0 to 10, Quebec's is only a 1 or 2, yet it is oppression nonetheless.  I'll also grant that like many oppressions, that perpetrated by Quebec's francophones is a reaction to the oppression they received in earlier times.  But that only explains it, not excuses it.

Wrong, and wrong.
Current schooling law is than you can do to English school if one of your parents did. I'm pretty sure you went in an English school in US, so, no problem.

Same thing for mixed couples. If one of the parents is English, the kid may go to English school, and it's quite common for the kid to go to the English school. However, such kids often life as a Francophones later in his life, as the perspectives of employment in Quebec are better if you are bilingual Francophone (bilingual > French > English, for employment).

Signage law were dumb and were stuck down in the 80's. Now, you can't have any language bigger than French, but you may have English and French at the same size, no problem at all (it's very common in my immigrant neighbourhood).

As for the "pastagate", it's because of a overzealous public servant and it's in no law of Quebec (and there is a rumor in nationalist circles she did it on purpose to dirty than nationalist brand).
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2022, 09:39:03 AM »

He's back!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2022, 12:20:25 AM »

Yeah, I saw that too. Blindsided me, but interesting development.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2022, 06:19:01 PM »

I like how the MAGA boilerplate he added to his signature, which is presumably supposed to mean that with Trump the US started to be governed well, could also be interpreted to mean that with Trump bribery, corruption, and sex finally outstripped poor governance in terms of scandalousness.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies