Opinion of the IRA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:17:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Opinion of the IRA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which of the following were the Irish Republican Army?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Opinion of the IRA  (Read 2293 times)
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2022, 05:21:31 PM »

"I also agree that unionist violence deserves the lion's share of the blame for the failure of the civil rights campaign and the first attempt at powersharing. Was keeping myself to the thread question."

Sometimes, i wonder if the unionists ever regret torpedoing Sunningdale?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2022, 07:46:59 PM »

Lean FF though I disapprove of targeting civilians.
As the offspring of civilians physically and psychologically scarred by the IRA, I really struggle to see your logic here. If you target civilians, you’re a f**king terrible organisation by default.

My grandparents ran a business that hired from both communities, made a point of trading with both, and sent their kids to integrated, non-denominational schools, trying to break the cycle. Didn’t stop my grandfather from being injured by a random IRA bomb. His only crime was living in a predominantly Protestant town.

The only true freedom fighters in the IRA are the former members who co-signed the Good Friday Agreement, and helped put the whole miserable period to an end.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2022, 08:15:03 PM »

Lean FF though I disapprove of targeting civilians.
As the offspring of civilians physically and psychologically scarred by the IRA, I really struggle to see your logic here. If you target civilians, you’re a f**king terrible organisation by default.

My grandparents ran a business that hired from both communities, made a point of trading with both, and sent their kids to integrated, non-denominational schools, trying to break the cycle. Didn’t stop my grandfather from being injured by a random IRA bomb. His only crime was living in a predominantly Protestant town.

The only true freedom fighters in the IRA are the former members who co-signed the Good Friday Agreement, and helped put the whole miserable period to an end.

That’s a fair point actually. I’m sorry that happened to your grandfather. That’s ing horrible and exactly the sort of action that only increased bad blood I can imagine and made peace that much harder to achieve.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »

Negative (normal)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies