If Kerry won the presidency without the popular vote...

(1/2) > >>

President Johnson:
If John Kerry won the presidency in 2004 by just flipping Ohio while losing the popular vote to Dubya, would a serious movement to abolish or reform the Electoral College have emerged? After picking the "wrong guy" twice in a row while both parties got screwed, I think there may have been some support from Republicans as well.

If only Ohio is flipped from actual 2004 results, Kerry wins 272-266 while losing the popular vote by more than Bush did in 2000.

BigVic:
The Republicans will try to introduce an Amendment in Congress to abolish the electoral college after two elections with a split EV/PV and close result

Del Tachi:
By the time any momentum could have got going on a constitutional amendment/NPVIC, the 2008 election would have seen a Republican swept into office with a clean popular vote majority and taken the wind out of any reform efforts.

Skill and Chance:
It would have been the best possible chance of an amendment passing.

I do wonder what would happen if the Republican Hispanic and Democratic Inland West trends continued and DeSantis lost the EC while winning the PV in 2024 or (more reasonably) 2028?

Progressive Pessimist:
Quote from: Skill and Chance on August 06, 2022, 04:00:51 PM

It would have been the best possible chance of an amendment passing.

I do wonder what would happen if the Republican Hispanic and Democratic Inland West trends continued and DeSantis lost the EC while winning the PV in 2024 or (more reasonably) 2028?

Until Republicans can bring California and Illinois back to single digit margins, and New York and other northeastern states to the teens; they are not going to win the popular vote.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page