If Goldwater won in 1964
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:58:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If Goldwater won in 1964
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Goldwater won in 1964  (Read 943 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2022, 09:53:03 PM »

What would his Presidency be like? What bills would he sign/veto? What would his foreign policy be like?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 12:57:28 AM »

There'd be no Great Society (at least not in the sense that Medicare would be a thing). Goldwater probably would sign the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, as he personally agreed with both bills. While he didn't support Federal intervention in that way, I think he'd intervene to get them passed to keep his chances of winning renomination in 1968 (where he'd need support from Northeastern Moderates).

He'd also almost certainly fire J. Edgar Hoover. I can't picture Goldwater, a civil Libertarian on most issues, approving of Hoover's FBI spying on American citizens, so unless Hoover has great blackmail on Goldwater, he'd be out of a job.

We'd be heavily involved in Vietnam, even more so than LBJ did IRL, and Goldwater would take the advice of Curtis LeMay, and would probably break the Nuclear Taboo in North Vietnam.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 10:26:14 AM »

Obviously none of the Great Society would have happened.

It is interesting to wonder how the American effort in Vietnam would have played out had the Presidential administration allowed the military to go "all in". Would that have involved invading North Vietnam? Cutting off the Ho Chi Minh trail from the beginning by occupying Cambodia and/or Laos? Goldwater wasn't an idiot, he wouldn't have used nukes. That was just the Johnson campaign's characterization of him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 10:41:54 AM »

He would never have won Kennedy didnt need TX against Goldwater,JFK narrowly lost Cali to Nixon he would have won Cali against Goldwater

Since I was in HS I never understood why JFK aside from LBJ being from there went to TX, LBJ could afford to lost TX, sympathizers we're in FL and TX for Castro regime not in Cali and I heard they were on their trip to FL after😧TX too

The EC map is like now CA, PA, WI and MI , but WV was replaced by OH/VA
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 04:26:39 PM »

Getting him to win in the first place would require the circumstances of 1964 to be very different. You definitely couldn't have Kennedy becoming a martyr or the election becoming a referendum on the Civil Rights Act. Maybe there's a conventional invasion of Cuba in 1961 that goes the way of Vietnam.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 05:41:56 PM »

Goldwater winning probably requires no Kennedy assassination AND a major Kennedy scandal in 1964 leading to him losing.

I just don't think there's any way for LBJ to lose to Goldwater with the bloody shirt of the martyred Kennedy at his side.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies