2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 9890 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: April 23, 2022, 08:46:27 PM »

Baldwin 2024[/b

Schedule for May 2023

May 1
-Announce candidacy in Madison, Wisconsin. Emphasise progressive credentials, such as support for Medicare for All, and announce support for an Independent Commission Against Corruption to root out corruption in government

I didn't grow up with much. My mother was 19; I had to be looked after by my grandparents because she was struggling with her mental health.

I came out of those struggles stronger for it. I got to where I am through sheer force of will.

But I also came from a time where hard work and dedication actually meant something. A time when they got you ahead. Now what do we have? A world where the top 1% get away with everything they like. Their taxes are cut endlessly, and they keep that wealth to themselves. How do they keep that wealth? By exploiting their workers and laying waste to our environment. We've all heard the stories about Amazon.

But our country has risen to challenges befre, and will do so again! In 1932, Franklin Roosevelt declared that America needed a new deal, and we need another new deal now! Workers must be paid a fair wage, healthcare must be available to all, and government corruption must be destroyed!

Today, I am announcing my cnadidacy for President of the United States!

A better future is possible, and we can create it together!

Key campaign issues:

-Creation of an Independent Commission Against Corruption. Lobbyists and the wealthy influence members of government without penalty, and insider trading is ocurring regardless of attepts to stamp it out. This must end.

-Medicare for All. It is part time we had universal health coverage, and a public option will not erase the structural problems our healthcare system faces. Private inusrance must be for supplemental, not essential services.

-Reviving unions. They have been needlessly damaged since the signing of the Taft-Hartley Act, and their downturn has damaged the middle and working classes. Unionisation should be encouraged, and the NLRB should be overhauled.

-Infrastructure. More needs to be done, and we must look to the future. High-speed rail, low-emissions technology, internet connectivity, as well as traditional transportation infrastructure. This will also drive job creation and higher wages.

-Education. High education standards will provide a more skilled and diverse workforce. Invest in vocational training, colleges, and schools across the country. In particular, rural and inner-city facilities have been left behind at every level, and they need urgent reform. Don't simply throw money at problems-that solves nothing. End nationwide standardised testing; this is proven not to help in educational development.

May 2
-Strategy meeting in Wisconsin. Run as a progressive who can work with established politicians. Look to younger and working class voters of all stripes as key support bloc.
-Evening Rally in Des Moines, Iowa. Highlight support for an ICAC.

May 3-7
-Campaign through central Iowa. Build up volunteer network, open camapign offices, prepare local campaigns and so on. Focus on doorknocking and GOTV efforts for the caucus. Establish local donor network

May 8
-Rally in Iowa City, Iowa. Hit ICAC notes again. Rally supporters with economic message as well: higher taxes on the wealthy, middle and working class tax cuts, investment into renewable energy.

-Town hall in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Take questions on corruption commission, economic plan, healthcare. Lean into populism as much as possible. Also highlight that Baldwin is from Wisconsin, a must-win state in every election

May 9
-YouTube town hall. Baldwin will likely be outdone on TV by the three other candidates, but like most progressive candidates, will undoubtedly fare better online. Invite voters to send in questions on anything they wish. Also take the chance to make a major policy announcement: Repeal of Taft-Hartley.
-Rally in Davenport, Iowa. Usual notes on ICAC, economy and healthcare. Again, lean into populism. Baldwin is the only candidate from the industrial

May 10
-Fundraiser in Sioux City, Iowa. Play up humble background, particularly struggles when she was young. Born to a struggling teenaged single mother, raised largely by her grandparents, and managed to rise to the Senate through sheer determination

May 11-15
-Return to Washington DC for Senate duties.

May 17-21
-Campaign in New Hampshire. Emphasise ICAC and fighting government corruption above all else. Everyone likes transparency in government, and are bound to support someone promising to fight it at all corners.

May 22
-Town hall at Nashua Community College. Baldwin's base is likely with college students, so look to nail it down at every opportunity. Spruik education plan: improve curriculum and facilities in inner-city and rural schools, invest in establishment of high-speed internet across all educational facilities.
-Interview with DailyKos

Interviewer: How do yu respondt to Kamala Harris saying she's not certain that you have the necessary experience to deal with the issues the country faces?

Baldwin: Experience is important, of course, and I think my time in the House and Senate has left me more than ready for the job of President, but this is about more than how many jobs appear on a resume. I'd rather talk about plans for the future, like Mediare for All, repeal of Taft-Hartley, investment in rural and inner-city schools and colleges, and an Independent Commission against Corruption.

May 23
-Rally in Manchester, New Hampshire. Declare infrastructure plan as well. Titled 'Rebuild America', the plan calls for trillions of dollars in spending on roads, ports, airports, and above all, high-speed rail. Energy infrastructure will be a key part of the stump speech; New Hampshire has been a national leader in renewable energy, and with renewables now cheaper than fossil fuels, America stands to make trillions from it.

May 25-29
-Senate duties in Washington DC. Propose ICAC bill now; this cannot wait any longer.
I Stand today to introduce the Stop Government Corruption Now Act. Corruption in government, whether it involves taking money from lobbyists, SuperPACS, or other vested interests is why this nation no longer trusts Congress to work for them.

This bill will:

-Ban members of Congress from having contact with lobbyists
-Restrict donation amounts to PACS and SuperPACs
-Tighten conflict of interest laws
-Ban stock trading for members of Congress
-Establish an Independent Commission Against Corruption. Five commissioners appointed must be politically independent, and serve staggered ten-year terms to insulate them from political interference
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 12:10:34 AM »

Tammy Baldwin debate responses

"I want to to thank Fareed for moderating us tonight, and for my follow candidates-Vice President Harris, Governor Cooper, Governor Hochul and Senator Warren for attending.

When I was born, my mother was a mere nineteen years of age and going through a divorce. She suffered from an opiod addiction and mental health issues. I had to live with my grandparents for most of my life as a result. My grandfather was born of Jewish German and Russian immigrants, who left their lives in Europe to pursue the promise that America made.

In recent years, the success stories of yesteryear are, in many ways, no longer possible. Systemic corruption at every level has made it almost impossible for many people to craft success. There is simply too much weighed against them.

My campaign is about that Other America. The worker, the small farmer, the student, the poor. I am here to bring their voices to the national debate, and to restore theirability to pursue their happiness."

To Harris, Hochul, Warren and Baldwin: Each of you has a chance to become the first female President. Explain why you would be the best person to earn that lofty status.

"I believe that Kamala, Kathy or Elizabeth would all make fine Presidents. Indeed, being the first female President of the United States would be a hell of a statement, but I'm not campaigning solely based on that.

I want to represent the voices of the other America. The voices that have been drowned out by people who put themselves ahead of others. Among those voices are many millions of women. They merely ask for the right to control their own destinies, whether it comes to pregnancy or putting food on the table.

Millions of women have been disadvantaged in this country, largely as a result of systemic issues. I will be their voice in this election."

To Warren and Baldwin: If you cannot get Medicare for All passed, would you support a compromise plan like a public option?

"If no other option were available, I would. However, simply adding a public option would not get rid of the huge systemic issues that exists within the healthcare system. Namely, the fact that it doesn't address the inbuilt costs of our for-profit healthcare system.

We spend $3.6 trillion on healthcare every year. A quarter of that isn't going to research, treatment or cures, but simply to cover administrative waste. There is so much waste generated by our for-profit system that a quarter of our healthcare budget has to be delegated to cover it. That's insane. It also doesn't eliminate the problem of insurance companies, who routinely price-gouge as a matter of course.

Would I support a public option if needs be? Yes, I would, because it would be an improvement over our current system, but in my opinion, it is still just a halfway measure that doesn't tackle the biggest mosney-loser in the sector: administrative waste.

I support Medicare for All because it will ultimately save us money in the long run by eliminiating much of this waste. I don't support eliminating private healthcare, but it should be supplementary only."

To Baldwin: You would be the first LGBT President. Do you believe America is ready for an LGBT President?

"We're over twenty years into the 21st Century. Of course the country is ready for an LGBT President. I ask that people look at my policies, not my sexual orientation, and make up their own mind based on that. I'm the only candidate up here that's pledging to repeal the labour-killing Taft-Hartley Act. I'm the only candidate up here who has a comprehensive anti-corruption plan.

At the end of the day, it's policy that matters above all else."

To Warren and Baldwin: What do you say to those in the Democratic Party who believe your Presidential candidacies are putting your Party's Senate majority at risk?

"Wisconsin is a swing state. It's a state that any Democrat needs to win to carry the Presidency. It's also a state that requires a special election be held 90 days after the resignation of an elected official.

If I were to be the nominee of the Democratic Party, I would resign my seat 90 days before election day, ensuring that we have a strong candidate to run for the seat."

To All: If you could unilaterally amend the constitution once, what amendment would you add?

"This is a difficult question. I regard the United States Consitution as one of the greatest documents in history.

That said, I believe Governor Cooper is 100% correct on this point. The electoral college was fine for the time in which it was created, but we are living in a world of advanced technology. We are the only country in the world that uses this system for electing our nation's chief executive, and it is horrendously unrepresentative; you can theoretically become President of this country with just 22% of the popular vote.

We've had five occasions-1824, 1876, 1888, 2000, and 2016 where the winner of the electoral college lost the popular vote. President Biden won the popular vote by a massive margin in 2020, but the outcome hinged on 40,000 votes in Georgia, Arizona, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

This is unacceptable. I would abolish the electoral college and turn our system of election into a national popular vote in order for it to truly be a fair and democratic system.

To All: New Orleans is considered one of the most at-risk cities for climate change in the world. Tell me what your climate plan does to protect New Orleans.

"Climate change is a massive fight for us. It's a fight for our future not just as a coutnry, but as a speicies, and I'm proud to say I have been one of the Senators at the forefront of climate change mitigation efforts.

As President, I will invest $250 billion over five years in flood mitigation and defence for our coastal communities, and will establish an insurance fund for those at risk of losing their homes to floods, hurricanes and other weather events that result from climate change, as private companies are already refusing to insure homes that are at risk.

I will also invest $5 trillion 8 years into our renewable energy infrastructure. Solar panels, wind farms, geothermal power plants, green and blue hydrogen plants and more. We are blessed with many of the resources needed to turn our nation into a renewable energy superpower, and we cannot leave those resources unused. Not only will this pay directly for the establishment of plants, but will also provide significant tax breaks for companies that are cutting emissions.

I will also put significant effort into working with our allies to cut emissions worldwide. We have a duty to leave a livable planet for our children, and I will spare no effort in fighting climate change at every level I can."

To All: Would you commit the United States military to defend Taiwan in the event of a Chinese invasion?

"We must acknowledge that the situation in Taiwan is remarkably different to that of Ukraine. As an island, Taiwan has its own unique strengths and weakenesses. It is vastly more defensible from a military standpoint, but will be far harder to send supplies and weapons to.

In the event of an invasion, we must follow the course that we did in Ukraine, and provide all possible aid short of war with China. We cannot become directly involved if we are not attacked because that would set off a chain of events that could have devastating results for the entire world. I would support a comprehensive aid package to Taiwan to beef up its anti-ship and anti-aircraft capabilities; in a hypothetical military assault, these would be the most vital arms we could provide to Taiwan."

Closing statement:

"I have spent several years working as a member of the House and as a US Senator. I bring not just years of experience in domestic affairs and a steady hand on the world stage, but also the desire and ambition to execute the sweeping reforms that our nation needs.

I'm not going to get caught up in personality fights, because that's not what my campaign is about. My campaign is about those forgotten Americans. The ones who've had their voices drowned out. The ones our politics should revolve around. We work for them, they don't work for us.

Thank you again Fareed and my fellow Democrats!"
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 04:33:54 PM »

Tammy Baldwin Schedule

May 31-June 4: Speak with Senators Romney, Murowski and Collins on Stop Corruption Now Act. Work towards bringing all Democrats onboard. Attend to other Senate duties as well

June 5: Town hall in Carleston, South Carolina

Audience member: Do you believe that American should pay for Ukraine's rebuilding after the end of its war with Russia?

Baldwin: Ukraine has endured something we never have here-a foreign invasion. There is no two ways about this; their territory was violated by a hostile nation on the flimsiest of pretexts. I support Ukraine's admission too NATO without hesitation, but also believe that America must play a role in rebuilding Ukraine. We must ensure that our partners in defending global democracy against autocracies like Russia and China are properly equipped to face an invasion.

June 7: First Democratic debate

June 9-12: Campaign in New Hampshire. In particular, focus campaign message on anti-corruption. Baldwin has proposed an extensive bill to fight government corruption that is now being blocked by Republicans. Are Republicans pro-government corruption? Actions speak louder than words, and their threat to filibuster the most comprehensive bill on the issue in decades speaks volumes.

June 13: Fundraiser in Nashua, New Hampshire. In keeping with Baldwin's theme, the event is relatively small, and attendees are encouraged to only donate a few dollars at a time, enabling them to continue donating further without harming their bottom line or going near the $2700 limit.

June 14: Rally in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Does my plan to fight climate change come with a high price tag? Sure, but that's because this is a unique opportunity to tackle other problems that we face. A thriving renewable energy sector will create thousanda, if not hundreds of thousands of new jobs through construction, advanced manufacturing and more. It will secure true energy independence for our country, free of fossil fuels. It will revolutionise our transportation system.

We can kill a lot of birds with one stone here, and some of the plans I've heard from my fellow candidates are lacking in ambition.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 08:23:07 PM »

Baldwin 2024

Schedule for June 15-July 4

June 15
-Rally in Detroit, Michigan, with Liz Shuler, President of the AFL-CIO
I'm proud to receive the endorsement og the AFL-CIO this year.

For too long, the qworking people of the United States have been taken advantage of by corporate leaders, who seek to clamp down on their rights while lining their own pockets.

The best defence workers have is our unions. But our unions have been handicapped by the labour-killing Taft-hartley Act. I will repeal Taft-Hartley within the first 100 days of my Presidency, expand the minimum wage to a living wage, and restore American manufacturing!

Thank you for your endorsement, workers of America! I am your voice in this race!
-Internet town hall with Rep. Pocan and Gov. Evers.

June 16-21
-Campaign across Iowa. Focus on AFL-CIO endorsement and position Baldwin as candidate of labour, students, and workers.
-Rally in Des Moines with Charlie Wishman, President of the Iowa AFL-CIO
-Rally in Cedar Rapids
-Town hall in Iowa City
Of course, I readily welcome Ukraine into NATO. And I readily support a second Marshall Plan to aid in revuilding Ukraine. Their accession has been a long time coming, and I'm very happy to welcome them. I also want to extend a note of personal admiration to President Zelensky, who inspired not just the Ukrainian people, but indeed the whole world, to stand as one in the face of Russian aggression
-Town hall in Sioux City

June 23
-Introduce Stop Corruption Now Act to Senate. The bill will be sponsored by Rep. Pocan in the house.

June 25-26
-Campaign for Mitch Landrieu in Louisiana. Hold rallies, town halls, and focus on why Landrieu is a better choice for his stances on labour issues, anti-corruption, and education. Also point to his results as Mayor; lowered crime rates, closing the budget gap in New Orleans, creating over $8 billion in private investment and so on.

June 28-29
-Campaign for Andy Beshear in Kentucky. In particular, look to paint him as a firm supporter of the blue-collar worker and teachers. Point to his strong infrastructure plans, and his accomplishments in office.

June 30-July 1
-Rally in Nashua, New Hampshire
-Campaign in general in new Hampshire. While campaigning, Baldwin responded to what Governor Cooper has said about her.

I'm only an extremist if one thinks that action on inequality, climate change, worker's rights, the minimum wage, and a range of other things is too extreme. I question where Governor Cooper is coming from to be honest.

July 2
-Build support for corruption bill

July 4
-Independence Day in Madison.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 08:17:41 AM »

With the need to focus efforts on establishing the Independent Commission Against Corruption and to give the Democrats the best possible chance in the Senate, Tammy Baldwin withdraws from the Presidential primaries and files for re-election to the Senate.

No endorsement will be made at this time.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 09:39:13 AM »

August 1-September 31, 2023
Yes, I'm covering two months per turn until the primaries start from now on

Baldwin, Harris Withdraw; Adams Enters

Citing a desire to focus on the Stop Corruption Now Act and helping Democratic numbers in the Senate, Tammy Baldwin has withdrawn from the Democratic primary. Baldwin was seen as the race's leading progressive candidate, and was also being seen as the candidate of the party's labor wing prior to her withdrawal.

Vice President Kamala Harris has also withdrawn, citing an increasingly uncertain foreign situation to return to serving as Vice President full-time, though rumour's emerging from the Vice President's former campaign suggest she may be eyeing a return to the Senate next year, with the announcement that Dianne Feinstein will be retiring.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams has also made an entrance to the race, though it is at this stage unknown what effect his entry will have

Many progressive voters have voiced disappointment with the remaining candidates. A recent poll showed that nearly half of self-described progressive Democrats have moved into the undecided column, given Elizabeth Warren's absence from the campaign trail

Primary polls

Democrats

Governor Hochul: 24%

Governor Cooper: 22.1%

Senator Warren: 11.2%

Mayor Adams: 9.8%

Undecided: 32.9%

Iowa:

Governor Hochul: 25.3%

Governor Cooper: 23.2%

Senator Warren: 14.1%

Mayor Adams: 11.1%

Undecided: 26.3%

New Hamsphire:

Governor Hochul: 24.8%

Governor Cooper: 24.1%

Senator Warren: 17.2%

Mayor Adams: 14.9%

Undecided: 19%

Republicans

Iowa:

Former President Trump: 32.3%

Governor DeSantis: 27.9%

Governor Scott: 14.9%

Undecided: 24.9%

New Hampshire:

Governor Scott: 32.4%

Former President Trump: 31.7%

Governor DeSantis: 18.9%

Undecided: 17%

Zelensky to seek second term

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has filed paperwork to seek a second term as President of Ukraine, following a recent agreement to allow Ukraine into NATO in exchange for surrendering Donbass. Despite being decried for surrendering the Donbass region by his opponents, Zelensky is expected to face only token opposition.

Trump, DeSantis take potshots

Former President Donald Trump has made headlines with attacks on Governor Ron DeSantis lately,referring to the Florida Governor as 'DeSnake' on his social media platform, Truth Social. A war of words has erupted between supporters of the two candidates for the Republican nomination, though Vermont Governor Phil Scott has nor received any noticeable boost due to his centrist politics.

Notes:

-This turn will last for 96 hours. I can offer a 24 hour extension if needed.

-I've adjusted the poll number a fair bit to reflect what I think a real 2024 primary between these candidates would look like. That said, positions in the polls are unchanged and the race is still fairly tight.

-Starting from this turn, interviews are now available. These are first in, first served, so get in quickly. Send a request to me with who you would like to book the interview with and it will be posted at the end of the turn.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 10:35:29 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2022, 07:15:58 PM by GoTfan »

October 1-November 30, 2023

Harris NOT Withdrawn; McMahon Criticised

It would appear that reports of the death of the Harris campaign have been greatly exaggerated.

The Vice president originally seemingly suspended her campaign, citing a desire to focus on an increasingly tenuous freign situation, but has refuted claims that her campaign has been suspended. A spokesperson stated "Kamala Harris is Vice President of the United States first and foremost, and the duties of that office outweigh needs of any campaign."

In the meantime, former CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment Vice McMahon joined the Republican race, and despite being a late announcer, has certainly made a splash. With various stunts that echo his WWE days, McMahon has been labelled a non-serious candidate by leaders across the spectrum, from Chuck Schumer to Glen Youngkin. Nonetheless, he has inspired support from many of Former President Trump's supporters, who have come to view the man as 'compromised'
Primary polls

Democrats

Vice President Harris: 30%

Governor Hochul: 22.3%

Governor Cooper: 22.3%

Mayor Adams: 11.9%

Senator Warren: 10.4%

Undecided: 3.1%

Iowa:

Vice President Harris: 29.8%

Governor Hochul: 23.4%

Governor Cooper: 23.3%

Senator Warren: 13.2%

Mayor Adams: 10.3%

New Hamsphire:

Vice President Harris: 30.2%

Governor Hochul: 23.4%

Governor Cooper: 23.3%

Senator Warren: 11%

Mayor Adams: 11%

Republicans

Former President Trump: 35.6%

Governor DeSantis:30.1%

Governor Scott: 15.2%

Mr McMahon: 10.8%

Undecided: 8.3%

Iowa:

Former President Trump: 34.8%

Governor DeSantis: 27.3%

Governor Scott: 14.2%

Mr McMahon: 10.1%

Undecided: 13.6%

New Hampshire:

Governor Scott: 32%

Former President Trump: 31.9%

Governor DeSantis: 18.5%

Mr McMahon: 9.2 %

Undecided: 17%

Boris Johnson calls election

United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson, faced with the possibilty of a mass backbench revolt, has called an early general election, the third since the 2015 election. Johnson's Conservatives are underwater in the polls against Keir Starmer's Labour Party by fair margins, with most saying the election is leaning towards a Labor majority, or at the very least, a Labour-Liberal Democrat coaltion.

Polling day has been scheduled for November 9th

Corruption Bill receives Presidential backing

President Joe Biden has announced that he is in favour of Senator Tammy Baldwin's Stop Corruption Now Act, and would "sign it in a heartbeat". He in particulat has signalled out the creation of a Federal Integrity Commission as being particularly needed to rein in government corruption. Republican Senate Leader Mitch McConnell however has described the bill as an authoritarian measure that would result in political persecutin of conservative candidates

Notes:

-This turn will last for a full week to enable you to strategise a bit more.

-Both parties will be having a debate this turn. Questions to be up in 12 hours. This is mostly for me to get my bearings.

-Current interviews will be published in 8 hours.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 09:22:00 AM »

George Stephanopoulos interviews Mayor Eric Adams on Good Morning America

Stephanopoulos: With us now is New York City Mayor and recently announced candidate for the 2024 Democratic nomination, Eric Adams. Mayor Adams, thank you for joining us this morning.

Let's jump right in. Some Democratic sources are reporting some unease with your candidacy, regarding the fact that you have only been Mayor of New York for just over a year and a half at this point. What do you say to those doubting your experience to serve as President?

Adams: What I would say is that my mayoral experience is not just for any random city. I've been serving as the chief executive of New York City, a proud city with nearly 9 million Americans of all backgrounds under its wing. This is the finance and entertainment capital of our country, and whatever happens in New York ultimately affects all of America. I handle our city's budgets, manage relations with all of our departments and industry leaders, and I've been on the streets with our citizens to stop crime before it happens and strengthen community ties. I've served in the State Senate and I know my way around negotiating with legislators. Even before my life in public office, I've served my community as a police captain who kept our department accountable.

You know who else they used this experience argument on? I recall a young, bright African-American senator named Barack Obama who became one of our best presidents. Our experience in number of years at this point in time is actually very similar, but the thing with politics just like real life is it's really quality over quantity. Do you have good judgment? Do you have a vision for this country? Don't forget, George, that we're in unprecedented times with this pandemic and economy. Our leadership is being tested more than ever, and I've stepped up to make our lives better and more secure. I'll be following in the footsteps of President Obama and we'll ignore the haters in the professional class who are too used to being pampered by career politicians.

Stephanopoulos: With the withdrawal of Senator Baldwin and the absence of Senator Warren from the campaign trail, a recent poll found that many progressives within the Democratic Party have largely moved into the undecided column, and are not enthused by their choices in this primary. How do you plan to turn out progressive support in the primaries and general election?

Adams: Here's an area where you guys did me dirty! You know I'm the only candidate who supported Bernie Sanders all the way back in 2016? *laughs* Look at my record, and you'll see I've had the longest and most consistent progressive record of all the Democrats. I've been at the forefront of this gun violence crisis. We must put an end to the uncontrolled flow of these handguns and assault weapons, and I've put forward plans in New York that would ramp up collaboration with law enforcement and community leaders. I've built up the longest-standing ties with labor unions because I know, as a poor kid from the Bronx, that unions built the economic foundation of Americans in many ways. We must be vigilant in defending the teachers, the construction workers, the retail workers, and all other workers who need fighters on their side.

Let me tell you perhaps the one area that shines my progressivism best: criminal justice reform. You may say, "Well, I thought Eric Adams just wants to lock everyone up!" I've been a personal victim of police brutality, and I know from firsthand experience we must keep our authorities accountable. I worked my way up the New York Police Department to become a captain and reform the system from within. I wasn't afraid to call it like it is and tell officers we could do better. I formed police reform councils and made trainings for officers to reduce racial profiling, especially after that clown Rudy Giuliani got in office. There was so much public pressure for someone like myself to stay quiet and do the job, but I wasn't going to do that. I'm still as passionate today to promote racial justice and bring us all on a level playing field.

Progressives are a large voice in this party, and they deserve to have their voices heard. More importantly, they deserve a nominee who won't just pay lip service, but who can actually point to their record and show how they've made our lives better. I will be that nominee. I'll speak plainly about my vision and records, and we will unite this party to defeat the radical GOP.

Stephanopoulos: Mayor Adams, you ran as a tough-on-crime candidate in the 2021 Mayoral election and implemented many of those policies as Mayor, yet crime in New York City has remained higher than the national average and in some cases, has increased. At the same time, many progressives have criticised many of those policies for being discriminatory and being among the contributing factors to the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests. Would you look to implement these same policies on a national scale?

Adams:You bet I will. Before we can make progress on many of our systemic issues facing this country, we've got to address some fundamentals first. Ask regular, hard-working Americans and many will tell you they're scared. They can have worries over their children being the targets from a school shooting, their grandmother victimized by a hate crime on the street, or themselves being subject to a robbery or carjacking. Why is this happening, and why are we letting it happen? Crime has gone up across the nation and we've got to be nip it in the bud starting today. No longer are we going to tolerate those who wish to destroy our communities from the inside without any consequences.

To your point about New York City, I'll remind you that Rome wasn't built in a day. This isn't to excuse myself, as I'm still mayor and I bear responsibility for my city, but these changes take time especially during unprecedented times and we must not let up our reforms for a second. Our team has been coordinating with leaders on the ground to find these criminals and make sure their victims finally see justice. To my critics, I've seen these arguments way too often from those who live in comfort and a place of privilege. Millions of blue-collar Americans, especially in our minority communities, are begging their leaders to make safer streets for themselves and their families. I'll also point to one of my earlier answers in this interview, about my work as a police captain, to show that I'll have a balanced approach to this issue. People will have their dignity intact when law enforcement is involved, but as soon as they cross to commit crimes, they'll know we're not messing around. Everyone deserves to feel secure in where they live, and this will be my top priority as President.

Stephanopoulos: Mayor Adams, thank you for your time this morning and best of luck with the campaign.

Joe Rogan interviews Donald Trump on The Joe Rogan Experience

Rogan: Well we have a very special guest today, Donald Trump, running for a second term. Mr Trump, welcome to the program for today.

Trump: Thank you Joe for having me today.

Rogan: Alright, so addressing the elephant in the room, Vince McMahon has entered the race and he has . .. well, to put it mildly, treated the whole thing as some wrestling promo. You and I are both big WWE fans, but he's thrown fast food at you and your supporters, and attempted to recently storm the stage at one of Governor Cooper's rallies. How do you even respond to someone like that?

Trump: Vapid Vince has been a total disgrace, and he frankly doesn't know what he's doing in this campaign, and will lose the election by a lot, if he even makes it to the primaries before the great people of America are tired of his act. This may not be normal for me, but the best thing to do is to ignore him as much as we can, but still stand up for ourselves when necessary.

Rogan: Now, you did make some headlines two years ago by refusing to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine at first, but then you condemned it a few days later. A lot of people are also saying that you want to leave NATO if re-elected. Is that true at all, and do you support Ukraine's accession to NATO?

Trump: If I get re-elected, I will evaluate our position in NATO with a team of America First advisors. The final decision would come as a result of our discussions. I don't support Ukraine joining NATO, and it's just an attempt by Sleepy Joe and the Military Industrial Complex at getting our troops killed for no reason other than lining their own pockets.

Rogan: You've also recently been taking potshots at Ron DeSantis on Truth Social. This is a guy with a lot of pundits who used to back you now speaking glowingly of him. Would you endorse DeSantis if he were to win the nomination?

Trump: Ron DeSnake has stabbed our America First movement in the back. He has sold out our movement to the globalist elites. If he won the nomination, I would tell my voters to vote their conscience. If they want to vote for him, they can, but if they don't want to, I'm not going to try to convince them to vote for a man they do not want to vote for.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 10:54:34 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2022, 12:02:46 AM by GoTfan »

November 17th Democratic debate.

Venue: Gammage Memorial Auditorium, Arizona State University

Host: MSNBC

Moderator: Lester Holt

"Good Evening and welcome to tonight's Democratic debate. With us tonight are New York City Mayor Eric Adams, North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, Vice President Kamala Harris, New York Governor Kathy Hochul, and Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren.

Before we move onto questions, I will ask each candidate to make an opening statement."

General questions

"The Senate filibuster remains intact and is seen as one of the major reason why President Biden has been unable to pass the legislation he campaigned on in 2020. Would you as President advocate for Senate Democrats to remove the filibuster?"

"In recent years, the Biden administration has continued the national pivot towards China, but recent actions by Russia, including the invasion of Ukraine in 2022, have left many questioning the wisdom of such actions. Would you continue the with strategic pivot to China, or refocus on Europe?"

"This campaign has been noted for being an aggressive one between the candidate, not unlike the last three contested Democratic primaries. Will you, regardless of who it is, support the eventual nominee?"

Specific questions

"Mayor Adams, you've recently been questioned over the crime rate in New York City, which as has been highlighted, has gone up since you were sworn in as Mayor. Do you think that it might be worth revisiting some of your law enforcement policies?

"Governor Cooper, you've run an very aggressive campaign for the nomination, and previous Democratic primiaries run in this fashion tend to generate feelings of animosity within the party. Are you at all afraid of causing the 2016 primary to re-manifest?"

"Vice President Harris, miscommunication from all sides resulted in an erroneous report of your campaign being suspended. Are you indeed fully committed to this campaign?"

"Governor Hochul, you've recently come under fire for your selection of Brian Benjamin as your Lieutenant-Governor in 2022, and as you know, he was later indicted on federal bribery charges. How do you respond to questions regarding your judgement regarding appointments?"

"Senatr Warren, you've notably been absent from the campaing trail lately. Are you 100% committed to this campaign or are you focused on your work in the Senate?"  

November 21st Republican debate

Venue: Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, Ohio

Host: Fox News

Moderator: Brett Baier

Hello and welcome to the Republican presidential primary debate this evening. On sthe stage tonight are Governor Phil Scott, Governor Ron DeSantis, Former President Donald Trump, and former CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment Vince McMahon.

I now invite each candidate to make an opening statement."

General questions

"Fuel prices have started coming down in recent months but the fear of a spike is still there. Many are saying that now is the time to move on to renewable energy sources, like wind and solar power. Would you, as President, act to support measures that would increase our renewable energy output?"

"Senator Tammy Baldwin, a former candidate for the Democratic nomination, recently proposed the Stop Corruption Now Act, which would, among other things, create a Federal Integrity commission with the power to investigate federal officials and hold public hearings, ban federal official from holding stock portfolios, and institute an 8-year ban on officials becoming lobbyists from the time they leave office. Would you sign this bill if it reached your desk?"

"Republican primaries have been known for being colourful events since 2008, and this one has proven to be no different. Will yoou tonight pledge to support the eventual nominee, regardless of who it is?"

Specific questions

"Governor Soctt, you have been notable for your pro-choice positions when it comes to abortion. How would you get pro-life members of the party to turn out for you in a general election?"

"Governor DeSantis, you are still facing criticism over your handling of COVID-19 in Florida, including the firing of several officials who criticised your cnduct of the pandemic response. How do you respond?"

"Former President Trump, you have never frmally conceded the result of the 2020 election. Do you still believe that the election was rigged against you?"

"Mr McMahon, your campaign has come under a lot of fire recently. Several Republicans have referred to you as a non-serious candidate, and Joe Rogan said that you're treating this like a wrestling promo. Are you a serious candidate for President of the United States?"
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 10:51:58 PM »

December 1-January 18

Mixed Bag in 2023 Elections

With the 2023 elections in Kentucky, Louisiana and Mississippi having been held, they have shown a mixed bag for both parties.

While Tate Reeves was easily re-elected in Mississippi, Louisiana was surprisingly competitive. Attorney-General Jeff Landry faced fomrer New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu in the runoff election, resulting in a victory for the conservative Landry. However, the race was surprisingly narrow, with Landry taking 52% to Landrieu's 48%. Privately, Landry campaign staffers have blamed Vince McMahon for the narrow margin, saying that his campaign has damaged the Republican brand.

Kentucky was the bright spot for Democrats, as Andy Beshear, riding on his incumbency and moderate policies, narrowly defeated Attorny-General Danial Cameron with 51% of the vote to Cameron's 48%. Beshear is seen as a frontrunner for the Vice-Presidental nomination in 2024, but the re-elected Kentucky Governor has stated he is focused on his state.

With Iowa drawing near, the race was also recently shaken up by the withdrawal of Kathy Hochul, who has thrown her support behind Eric Adams. Adams has seen a natural boost in support, but many of Hochul's supporters have defected to Kamala Harris.

On the Republican side, Vince McMahon as courted controversy yet again when he said "Who cares?" in response to the problem of nuclear waste. This has caused his polling numbers, particularly in Nevada, to crater. Speculation is rising that Trump may in fact be able to secure the nomination within the first contests of the primary season

Labour wins UK elections; Starmer sworn in as PM

Keir Starmer's Labour Party has brought down the curtains on nearly a decade and a half of Conservative rule in the United Kingdom, winning 337 seats and ousting Boris Johnson from 10 Downing Street. In hic concession speech, Johnson has laid much of the blame on the "pro-EU election pact" between Labour and the Liberal Democrats; though any agreement has been informal.

Starmer has since been sworn in as Prime Minister, with president Biden expressing an eagerness to work with him

All eyes on Iowa Democrats

Following the debacle that was the 2020 Democratic caucuses in Iowa, all eyes are on the Iowa Democratic Party before the January 22 caucuses. Though Vice President Harris is favoured, there is still a chance for Governor Cooper to beat her to the top spot, or for Mayor Adams to cause an upset, given the sniping between Harris and Cooper.

Notes:

-As you noticed, we are closing on Iowa. For reference the Iowa Caucuses are being held on jaunary 22, with the New Hampshire primary on January 30, and Nevada on February 6th. This is, as such, the last turn before Iowa. I would suggest adjusting your strategies accordingly.

-This turn will last for a week. I am prepared to grant extensions up to 24 hours.

-Interviews will be posted soon. These are one per party per turn.

-You will have noticed polls were not here. As we are entering primary season now, i will be writing them in a separate comment to avoid this one getting overly cluttered.

-Finally, after each round of primaries, I will be writing up 'State of the Race' posts. Keep an eye out for these as they may contain valuable information for your candidate

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 09:46:57 AM »

Polls

Democrats

Vice President Harris: 35%

Governor Cooper: 25.9%

Mayor Adams: 15.6%

Undecided: 23.5%

Iowa:

Vice President Harris: 37.8%

Governor Cooper: 27.3%

Mayor Adams: 16.8%

Undecided: 18.1%

New Hamsphire:

Vice President Harris: 34.9%

Governor Cooper: 26.8%

Mayor Adams: 17.4%

Undecided: 20.9%

Nevada

Vice President Harris: 37.6%

Governor Cooper: 26.7%

Mayor Adams: 18.6%

Undecided: 17.1%

South Carolina

Harris: 33.8%

Cooper: 29.8%

Adams: 18.1%

Undecided: 18.3%

Republicans

Former President Trump: 37.6%

Governor DeSantis: 27.4%

Mr McMahon: 12.9%

Undecided: 22.1%%

Iowa:

Former President Trump: 38.9%

Governor DeSantis: 25.1%

Mr McMahon: 11.2%

Undecided: 24.8%

New Hampshire:

Former President Trump: 41.2%

Governor DeSantis: 17.3%

Mr McMahon: 10.7%

Undecided: 30.8%

Nevada

Former President Trump: 43.2%

Governor DeSantis: 34.3%

Mr. McMahon: 8.2%

Undecided: 14.3%

South Carolina:

Former President Trump: 38.2%

Fovernor DeSantis: 23.4%

Mr McMahon: 13.2%

Undecided: 25.2%

Upcoming Primaries:

Iowa Caucus, January 22

New Hampshire Primary, January 30

Nevada Primary, February 6

South Carolina Republican Primary, February 24

South Carolina Democratic Primary, March 2
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 08:55:32 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2022, 10:55:06 PM by GoTfan »

Roy Cooper interviewed by Joy Reid

Reid: With us now, live from the campaign trail is North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, running for the Democratic Presidential nomination. Governor, welcome to ReidOut.

Cooper: "Thank you, Joy. I'm honoured and delighted to be with you here today."

Reid: We'll get started straight away. We're entering a world where Ukraine will be joining Nato very soon, where Russia has effectively become a dictatorship, and where China is becoming increasingly bellicose. With this in mind, what do you say to insider who are saying that nominating someone with minimal foreign policy experience would be a disaster?

Cooper:  "Well, Joy, I agree with you one hundred percent that foreign policy will be a key component of any presidential administration. I'd say I have more foreign policy experience than Eric Adams. Neither of us have held national office, unlike Harris and Hochul, but I'll say on Eric's behalf, that you don't need to hold national office to have awareness of foreign policy. Kathy Hochul herself only held congressional office for two years - other than those two years in Congress, she, just like Eric and me, has only held office at the local and state levels. And as for Kamala Harris - she served just a couple years in the Senate, and didn't serve on the Foreign Relations Committee. And as VP, her foreign policy experience has been derived from being in the room where it happens, from watching Joe Biden make decisions and being briefed by the National Security Council and foreign policy experts and the Joint Chiefs and whatnot. The point I'm making is this: I have more foreign policy experience than some people might think, no less than the other candidates, and I intend to consult with military leaders and foreign policy experts to make the right choices. To speak specifically about foreign policy, I honestly think the key with the Ukraine-Russia war is to hold the course. Joe Biden's done an excellent job toeing the line and neither outright attacking Russia with military force and provoking nuclear war, nor letting Russia invade Ukraine without a fight. The sanctions and the isolation have been effective, and it's the best thing for us to do under the circumstances. As for China, I think we need to be more forceful - speak softly and carry a big stick - and make clear just where we draw the line. We need to have other allies in Asia as well, and maintain and build good relationships with the leaders in other Asian countries."

Reid: As was said to Mayor Adams, many progressives are unsatisfied with their choices this election. A chunk of them recently have drifted into the Vice President's camp, but much of that support is said too be 'soft'. What is your main pitch to get pogressives to turn out for you not just in the primary, but the general election?

Cooper: I am the most progressive actively campaigning candidate in this race. Elizabeth Warren, I freely admit, holds positions to the left of me on a whole bunch of issues, most of them in fact. But she's been off the campaign trail for a long time now, and it's clear she's not taking this thing seriously. Frankly, I wonder if this is her way of signalling she's dropping out. Either way, I don't think it makes sense to support a candidate who's missing and completely absent and invisible from the campaign trail, no matter how progressive they are. As for the others. Eric Adams is a moderate. He's campaigned with Henry Cuellar. The name may sound familiar. It should. Representative Cuellar is the most conservative Democrat in the House, a Blue Dog. He's not supported a woman's right to have an abortion, and he's tried to derail much of Joe Biden's agenda. The fact that Eric Adams campaigned with him, and has received his endorsement, should tell you what kind of campaign he's running. Because on the one hand you have the Eric Adams who'll campaign with Henry Cuellar, who's painted himself as the pro-business, tough-on-crime candidate not all that long ago, and on the other, you have the Eric Adams who pretends to be, who claims to be a consistent progressive. It's the same story with Harris and Hochul, honestly. I've said it before and I'll say it again: both of them are flip-floppers who are anything but consistently progressive. That is, unless calling for the deportation of illegal immigrants, or bragging about an NRA endorsement, is progressive, or unless locking up people for marijuana convictions is progressive. So if you support marijuana convictions instead of legal weed, by all means, progressives, go for Kamala Harris. If you support the NRA rather than oppose it, and supporting deporting illegal immigrants who are already here rather than giving them amnesty, please support Kathy Hochul. But if you want a consistent liberal fighter who will fight against the NRA and for legal weed and sensible gun reform and gun safety and gun control, a liberal fighter who has and will fight for illegal immigrants living in the shadows to get recognition rather than deportation - then I'm your man in this race. Truly, I am consistent, and I'm consistently a progressive. I was elected governor in an upset. I was never the favourite, unlike Kamala Harris in all her general elections and Eric Adams in his races, and unlike Kathy Hochul in New York. I was elected against a transphobic and bigoted and authoritarian Republican agenda. And since day one, I've opposed the Republicans in the legislature who want to strip some of our most vulnerable citizens - the sick, the weak, the old, the young, the disabled, the handicapped - of healthcare, who want to hide the truth on climate change, who want to make it harder to vote, who want politicians to choose their constituents rather than the opposite, who want to restrict a woman's right to an abortion, who all the while support even lower taxes and even more tax breaks on their ultra-rich contributors. Let me tell you: if I've ever taken a position that seems slightly more moderate rather than progressive, remember that I'm in North Carolina, not New York or California. Frankly, though I am and have consistently been 100% progressive, rhetoric matters, and when I ran for governor of North Carolina, my rhetoric was a bit more soft-spoken. My record, however, is evident for all to see as very liberal and very pro-worker, pro-choice, anti-gun, pro-environment, and pro-healthcare. The same simply cannot be said of the other candidates! Not when Eric Adams has gotten more policemen out on the streets (and, by the way, NYC's crime hasn't gone down since he took office because of it - it's gone up!), when Kamala Harris has happily prosecuted and jailed people for long periods of time for the heinous crime of having a little weed, and when Kathy Hochul has bragged about being endorsed by the rabidly pro-gun and pro-death NRA and has tried to deport illegal immigrants who've lived here for a long time. I am THE progressive candidate in this election, truly I am. I've already pledged to expand upon Obamacare and abolish the death penalty, and those aren't promises I intend to break. Since the time I was growing up, I've favoured a government that fights for and represents all its people, not just the richest. I've been a very consistent and straightforward liberal fighter. I'm ready to take on the ultra-rich and take our country back from the donor class. Will progressives join me, or would they rather settle for an anti-weed or an anti-immigrant and pro-gun candidate?"

Reid: One of your former opponents for the nomination, Tammy Baldwin, is proposing the Stop Corruption Now Act in the Senate. This bill would create a Federal Integrity Commission to investigate and hold public hearings, ban federal officials from holding stock portfolios, and enact an eight-year ban on federal officials becoming lobbyists from the time they leave office. Would a hypothetical Cooper administration support this bill?

Cooper: "Oh, absolutely. I think it's a very great thing for America. I have opposed the corporate, the monied interests, the donor class that influences our elections and our elected officials, our lawmakers. It's called 'lobbying,' but in essence, it's a fancy word for modern-day bribery. I will tell you this, that even when she was a competitor of mine, I was highly impressed with the initiative Tammy took in writing this constructive and revolutionary piece of legislation. If I were in the Senate, I would very gladly and proudly cosponsor this. Allowing leaving members of Congress to immediately take up jobs in lobbying invites conflicts of interest, as does allowing stock portfolios and insider trading. I may as well speak honestly: though I'll refrain from naming names, insider trading is a bipartisan problem. I'm aware of certain Democratic senators, as well as Republican senators, who abuse their powers and knowledge, who engage in insider trading for personal profit. It's horrible, and this bill would put a stop to it, once and for all. I wholeheartedly endorse this legislation, and if I win the White House, one of my top priorities will be to get it through Congress and to then sign it into law"

Reid: Governor Cooper, thank you for joining us and good luck with the campaign.

Cooper: Always a pleasure, Joy.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 07:38:56 AM »

January 19-26

DeSantis, Adams Withdraw Ahead of Iowa; John Kerry 2024?

The race for President has received one final shakeup before the Iowa caucuses on the 22nd. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has withdrawn in order to focus on his duties as Governor, while New York City Mayor Eric Adams has withdrawn for similar reasons. While Adams has endorsed Roy Cooper, DeSantis has not endorsed either Trump or McMahon, but has simply made a plea for his supporters to 'vote their conscience' in the cming contests.

Another notable occurence recently has been information coming from another potential contender. Climate Envoy John Kerry, reportedly unhappy with the current field of candidates, is reportedly mulling a second attempt at the Oval Office. They have been tempered however, by the fact Kerry will be 80 by the time of any inauguration. Some have suggested that Kerry may in fact be simply running as an issues candidate with a focus on foreign policy and environmental issues as a result.

Elsewhere, Harris and Cooper have kept up the back and forth between themselves. The two candidates have sparred regularly over marijuana laws, commitment to liberal values, and electability. It remains to be seen if these arguments will sway the electorate as a whole, though Iowa is expected to be closer than previosuly predicted for the Democrats

Stop Corruption Now Act proposed 

Former Presidential candidate Tammy Baldwin has formally proposed the Stop Corruption Now Act to the Senate. The bill, which would create a Federal Integrity Commission and ban federal officials from becoming lobbyists for eight years after leaving office and from holding stock portfolios during their time in office, has received support from progressive warriors like Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, while some Republicans have criticised it as an attempt at political persecution.

Bernie Sanders: I Will Not Run Again

Senator Bernie Sanders announced on MSNBC on the 18th that he will not be seeking a third term in the US Senate, citing his advanced age and desire to retire from politics. Sanders notably said that he considers his goal to realign the Democratic Party to progressive goals largely achieved. Tributes to Sanders have been flowing in from politicians of all stripes.

Congresswoman Becca Balint is considered the likely frontrunner for the seat.

Notes:

-This turn, owing to the beginning of primary season, will last only a week. Because of that, I'm cutting the response time to 96 hurs, or four days. I can extend for up to 48 hours if required.

-The Iowa caucuses occur on the 22nd, and as such, coverage will begin in 36 hours. Adjust your schedules accordingly.

-As the primaries wear on, further more powerful endorsers will become available. Senators, Governors, and prominent Representatives will be more willing to throw their support behind you, but the most powerful ones, such as Senate and House leadership, will be waiting a little longer.

-In terms of what's happening now, the New Hampshire primary occurs on the 30th of January, and then the Nevada primary on the 6th of February. After that will be the first state of the race post. Again, make sure to pay attention to these.

-As with last turn, polls are coming in a separate post.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 08:15:16 AM »

Polls

Democrats

Vice President Harris: 44.2%

Governor Cooper: 39.6%

Undecided: 16.2%

Iowa (final poll):

Vice President Harris: 42.6%

Governor Cooper: 39.8%

Undecided: 17.6%

New Hamsphire:

Vice President Harris: 40.6%

Governor Cooper: 38.5%

Undecided: 20.9%

Nevada

Vice President Harris: 44.5%

Governor Cooper: 35.7%

Undecided: 19.8%

South Carolina

Governor Cooper: 43.6%

Vice President Harris: 42.5%

Undecided: 13.9%

Republicans

Former President Trump: 57.2%%

Mr McMahon: 15.6%

Undecided: 27.8%%

Iowa:

Former President Trump: 54.3%

Mr McMahon: 17.8%

Undecided: 27.9%

New Hampshire:

Former President Trump: 59.6%

Mr McMahon: 13.7%

Undecided: 26.7%

Nevada

Former President Trump: 64.8%

Mr. McMahon: 9.4%

Undecided: 25.8%

South Carolina:

Former President Trump: 56.1%

Mr McMahon: 17.3%

Undecided: 26.6%

Upcoming Primaries:

Iowa Caucus, January 22 (this turn)

New Hampshire Primary, January 30 (next turn)

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 07:41:36 AM »

2024 Iowa caucuses

Maddow: Good evening and welcome to MSNBC's liver coverage of the 2024 Iowa caucuses. We have two open races for the nominations this year, and the crusade for the White House well and truly begins tonight. Joining me tonight is Joy Reid, Chris Hayes, and Nicole Wallace with Steve Kornacki, as usual, on the board for us. Steve, we'll go to you first. The Democratic ontest could be unusually tight tonight.

Kornacki: That's absolutely right Rachel. A week ago, it looked like Kamala Harris had this in the bag for the Democrats, but with recent developments on the Democratic side, she is facing a strong challenge from North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, recently endorsed by Eric Adams. Cooper has been running an energetic campaign, and recent polls are indicating a very close night, but as we remember from 2020, the polls could have this wrong, particularly with that large, seemingly untapped progressive crowd.

Hayes: Am I right in saying that we culd be expecting a bit of a blowout in the Republican caucuses, Steve?

Kornacki: More or less. Governor DeSantis was the only real challenger to Donald Trump, and with his withdrawal, there's little doubt that Trump's in the box seat. Vince McMahon has been running an energetic campaign but unlike Cooper on the Democratic ide, he has been unable to gain mcuh traction.

Wallace: Something even more bizarre I've found is that a lot of establishment figures are viewing Trump quite favourably this time around. That could be because they have McMahon in comparison, but I'm not so sure.

Reid: What we should understand is that McMahon is running this campaign like a WrestleMania promo. He's treating it as publicity, to the extent where Donald Trump can freely describe him as a total disgrace.

Hayes: I think the other story is that we expected Kamala Harris to walk away with the nomination in hand. She's the sitting Vice President after all, but I think that brief time where everyone was unsure if she was still running has really harmed her campaign, and some Democrats are reportedly saying that they fear she may not be able to defeat Donald Trump in a general election.

Maddow: All to play for here tonight then. 40 delegates up for grabs for the Democrats; 38 for the Republicans. Remember, the magic number needed to clinch the nomination for the Democrats is 2,266, the magic number for the Republicans is 1,217. With that in mind, we'll take a look at some early results

Democratic Iowa caucuses (40 delegates) - <1% reporting

VP Harris: 53.1%

Gov. Cooper: 46.9%

Republican Iowa cacuses (38 delegates) - <1% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 65.3%

Mr McMahon: 35.7%

Maddow: Steve, what can these early results tell us?

Kornacki: I'll be honest Rachel, not a heck of a lot. Trump is obviously pulling in very strong early returns and we expect them to either get stronger or stay about the same. These early returns are also suggesting a tight contest on the Democratic side, but again, how those Sanders and Warren supporters from 2020 break could decide who wins tonight. Early days yet though, and this is all subject to change.

Maddow: Thank you Steve. We'll be right back after this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 09:54:59 AM »

2024 Iowa caucuses

Maddow: The night goes on and the Iowa caucuses are well underway. Currently Kamala Harris and Roy Cooper are locked in a close fight on the Democratic wide, while Donald Trump is reportedly close to victory for the Republicans. Joy, you interviewed Governor Cooper not that long ago, are you surprised that he's doing this well?

Reid: No, actually. Governor Cooper has hedged his entire campaign on appeals to the progressive wing of the party, particularly on climate change and marijuana, but what remains to be seen is that if he's successfully cut through to them.

Hayes: As I said earlier, the impression was that Harris was going to walk away with this without much trouble, but given that we still haven't called Iowa, I think it's safe to say that she's going to be in for a long fight with Cooper.

Wallace: This might be the chickens coming home to roost. We're all aware that Harris has had significant issues with her staff at One Observatory Circle, including some significant resignations. I think Governor Cooper has a real chance to secure this thing.

Maddow: Hold that thought Nicole, I think Steve has a call to make.

Kornacki: Indeed I do Rachel. Donald Trump will win the Republican Iowa caucuses. Not much of a surprise there; what remains to be seen is how big his victory is going to be.

Democratic Iowa caucuses (40 delegates) - 25% reporting

VP Harris: 52.8%

Gov. Cooper: 47.2%

Republican Iowa cacuses (38 delegates) - 25% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 66.9%

Mr McMahon: 33.1%

Maddow: Well you heard it hear first. MSNBC is projecting that Donald Trump will win the Republican Iowa caucuses, easily dispatching Vince McMahon. Steve, any insights on the Democraitc caucuses?

Kornacki: Well Harris is still in the lead, but that hasn't grown by any real amount. We've been talking about the downsides for Harris with it being this close; the good signs for her is that from these numbers, progressives were seemingly scared off Cooper after the Adams endorsement. As we know, Eric Adams has not gotten along well with progressives, particularly criminal justice reform and black lives matter types, and on these numbers, it seems that progressive to an extent were scared away from Cooper.

Hayes: That's one thing I'm noticing as well; Coper has made a lot of overtures to the progressive wing lately, but a lot of them were and indeed are looking at the Adams endorsement and maybe looking reluctantly to Harris. I would qualify that though by saying that progressive support is malleable at this point.

Wallace: I'm inclined to agree. As far as the Republicans go, think we need to accept that Donald Trump will be their nominee again. He's not facing a credible challenger and as you said Joy, is treating this as seemingly publicity for his wrestling business.

Joy: Well it's not hs business anymore, but yes, he is treating it like some sort of promo for it. Sure, it might play well with people who want to be riled up, but the problem is that he's up against a powerful candidate in Donald Trump, who also excels at riling people up. This Republican primary might not be as close as it is for the Democrats, but it's probably going to get far dirtier.

Maddow: We'll be back after this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 11:08:21 AM »

2024 Iowa caucuses

Maddow: The votes are continuing to come in as the night goes on. Donald Trump has won a resounding victory in the Republican caucuses, but Kamala Harris and Roy Cooper are locked in a close fight on the Democratic side. Chris, even if he loses tonight, Roy Cooper will be in a good position regardless, right?

Hayes: Well, when you're running as a sitting VP, you expect to have a bit of an easier ride through the primaries. We might be seeing a reply of the 1988 Republican primary where Bob Dole gave George Bush an almighty scare, but at the same time, I think Cooper is a stronger candidate now than Bob Dole in 1988. To be honest, even if Cooper loses, if he can keep that margin under ten points or even five, then that's very good news for him.

Wallace: I agree. Especially since we're in Iowa; Cooper's path to the nominatin, most wuld think, lies through winning in the south. If he's running this well in a midwestern state, then it is possible that he could even beat Harris. Somehow I think this going to last beyond Super Tuesday.

Maddow: Steve, you would agree with that?

Kornacki: Well again, these are early days. Iowa's just one part of the whole equation, and there's a possibility that Harris will be able to pull it back when the primary moves to more favourable ground for her out west. In the end though, I agree with Nicole. Given the results we're seeing so far, there is no way this Democratic nomination is getting sorted out on Super Tuesday.

Maddow: And we still can't make a call for the Democrats?

Kornacki: At this stage, there's a narrative emerging that Harris is maintaining a slender lead, but I'm still not confident enough to call it. For now, the numbers are staying relatively static though

Democratic Iowa caucuses (40 delegates) - 50% reporting

VP Harris: 52.9%

Gov. Cooper: 47.1%

Republican Iowa cacuses (38 delegates) - 50% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 66.7%

Mr McMahon: 33.3%

Reid: I think on those numbers, Harris pulls out Iowa, but considering she's the sitting VP, it's not a good sign. Chris said it; she should've been able to win this easily and beat back Roy Cooper without much difficulty. It's bringing back some memories of 2016 for me if I'm being honest.

Maddow: Well, the night goes on. We'll take a break for now though, but we'll be back with more analysis after this.

(note: it's 1:30 AM and I need to sleep. Will finish coverage in the morning. Feel free to make statements or speeches till you're happy)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 06:24:14 PM »

2024 Iowa caucuses

Maddow: Well it's getting close to midnight in the east and we are still unable to project the winner of the Democratic Iowa caucuses. Vice president Harris is looking increasingly likely to eke out a narrow victory over Roy Cooper. For more, we got to Steve Kornacki. Steve?

Kornacki: Thanks Rachel. At this stage, it is fair to say that Roy Cooper's path to victory is narrowing, but not gone entirely just yet. The problem is that even though he's running well almost everywhere, he's not running well enough to overtake Harris. That lead of Harris's has remained fairly static throughout most of the night, and though it has taken a slight dent, it's getting increasingly likely that she wins tonight. Not ready to call it just yet, but I am getting increasingly confident that we can make a projection soon.

Democratic Iowa caucuses (40 delegates) - 75% reporting

VP Harris: 52.7%

Gov. Cooper: 47.3%

Republican Iowa cacuses (38 delegates) - 75% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 67.1%

Mr McMahon: 32.9%

Maddow: Thanks Steve. I'll go to our panel for some thoughts.

Reid: I know we're talking about the Democratic contest a lot tonight, but the Repblican one has been interesting for me. McMahon managed to outperform the polls by a significant margin. I mean, he had no chance of winning, but the fact he amanged to win over 30% of the vote is . . . just astounding to me. Not enough to make problems for Donald Trump in the future, but still, astounding.

Hayes: I'm inclined to agree, especially since he doesn't seem to be taking the whole thing seriously. Switching back to the Democrats, I think that even if Harris pulls this off, she's damaged as a candidate. She's gonna have to fight hard to win this thing, and we might be seeing a replay of 2016, as Joy said.

Maddow: I don't think it's controverisal to say that Cooper's been running aggressive campaign lately either. Harris has engaged in the back and forth but not really launched these major attacks we've been seeing from the Cooper camp. Cooper may end up pulling off an upset in the end, but will the cost be too high?

Wallace: I'm not even sure Roy Cooper himself has an answer for that.

Maddow: We'll be back right after this.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 07:28:56 PM »

2024 Iowa caucuses

Maddow: It's now midnight in the east and MSNBC can finally project that Vice President Kamala Harris is the winner of the 2024 Iowa Democratic caucuses. It was a much tighter contest than expected, but again, MSNBC is saying that Kamala Harris is the winner of Iowa caucuses for the Democrats. For more, we got to Steve.

Kornacki: Thanks again Rachel. Well, it's been a lng night, but yes, Kamala Harris has defeated Roy Cooper in Iowa. We're able to make this call because we have effectively 100% of the vote counted, and there simply not enough votes left for Cooper to overcome Harris's lead. What allowed Harris to eke out this win? Take a look at Ames. It's the home of the Iowa State University and naturally, a lot of young progressives. Harris didn't win them overwhelmingly, but did just well enough with them to beat Cooper. Progressives may've been coming around to Cooper, but after the Adams endorsement, I think they were looking at him a bit sideways. So a victory for Harris in Iowa.

Democratic Iowa caucuses (40 delegates) - 100% reporting

VP Harris: 52.8% (21 delegates)

Gov. Cooper: 47.2% (19 delegates)

Republican Iowa cacuses (38 delegates) - 100% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 67.3% (26 delegates)

Mr McMahon: 32.7% (12 delegates)

Maddow: Overall, a win for Harris, but not by the margins she would've been hoping for, one would venture to guess. She comes out of this with just two delegates more than Roy Cooper, and her momentum has likely taken a battering.

Wallace: Exactly, Rachel. I know we keep harping on this, but she is the sitting Vice President. She should've been able to win this pretty easily. She has the majority of institutional support, there's no question about that. The concern here, and one thing her team will have to look at, is that I don't think she's reasonating with the grassroots base of the party, and if a Democrat can't turn out that activist base, they lose in a general election. That's just a fact.

Joy: I agree as well. The other important thing is that the mood in America still hasn't dipped from that populist anger that propelled Trump and Sanders in 2016 and 2020. That hasn't disappeared, and that's to Cooper's benefit and Harris's detriment. Cooper is able to run with that outsider label on him, but as Steve said, that Adams endorsement did likely scare off those key progressive votes that Cooper needs going forward.

Hayes: Taking a look at the Republican race as well, Vince McMahon's speech just then sounded like the closest thing we'll get to a concession out of him. No reports of voter fraud at all at this stage, at least not in numbers needed to overturn the resultsof either contest. It does seem like McMahon is trying to lean into that angle that the foour years Trump spent in the White House corrupted him, and it's an argument that could play very well with Trump's supporters.

Maddow: New Hamsphire certainly is going to be interesting. To recap, MSNBC is saying that Kamala Harris has won the Iowa Democratic caucuses with 52.7% of the vote; she walks away with 21 delegates. Roy Cooper put in a strong showing with 47.3% of the vote and takes 19 pledged delegates. Donal Trump has easily won the the Republican caucuses with 67.3% of the vote and 26 delegates to Vince McMahon's 32.7%, which translates to 12 delegates. From Nicole, Chris, Joy, Steve and myself, goodnight.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2022, 05:57:16 PM »

January 27-February 3rd, 2024

Harris, Trump take Iowa; Kerry Enters Race

The Iowa caucuses have finally happened, and the picture of the race is now clearer.

Vice President Harris and Former President Trump have emerged as the winners. However, there have been vast differences in their victory. While Trump was easily able to put away Vince McMahon, Harris it seems struggled to put away Governor Roy Cooper. Cooper, running an aggressive campaign, managed to close the gap with Harris significantly in the weeks and days leading up to the contest, and for a time, it looked like he may've even eeked out a win.

As New Hampshire gears up for its January 30 primary, the Democratic race has been shaken up once more. John Kerry, Presidential Climate Envoy, former Secretary of State and former Senator for Massachussetts, has announced his entry into the race for the Democratic nomination. While Kerry has entered the race too late to get on the ballot in the early states, there is some speculation he may attempt a write-in campaign to avoid losing momentum.

It is considered unlikely at this stage that the Democratic nomination will be sorted out by Super Tuesday unless something dramatically changes. Meanwhile, Trump's change of residency to Nevada has fuelled speculation that he may be angling to nominate DeSantis as his running mate. While the primary is still taking shape, the idea of a Trump/DeSantis ticket is one that has considerable support witin the Republican Party.

Incident at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Rally

Firebrand progressive Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is perhaps no stranger to being the bette noir of many of our right-wing populist counterparts. However, while Ocasio-Cortez was holding a rally in her home district just after the Iowa Caucuses, a security incident occurred when a man pulled a firearm from under his jacket before being wrestled to the ground by security.

The man, 52, declared himself a 'Christian warrior against communists' at his interrogation.

Ocasio-Cortez, purportedly using the rally to announce her bid for a fourth term in Congress, is said to be 'badly shaken up' according to one staffer. She has also declined all requests for comment from various news sources.

Former President Jimmy Carter Dies, Aged 98

Jimmy Carter, 39th President of the United States, passed away in his sleep the night of January 26 at the age of 98.

His grandson Jason, who followed him into politics, gave the news to a small crowd of Georgia reporters at 2:30 PM. "My grandfather was a man who believed in the best humanity; who believed that we can all work together. He believed that we must do what we can to make the world a kinder place, where all people can live in peace, freedom and security."

Carter served as a State Senator and Governor of Georgia, but it's his single term as President, from 1977 to 1981, that remains the most cntentious part of his legacy. As President, Cart came to office after Watergate, and was confronted throughout his term by the Oil Crisis, stagflation, and of course, the Iran Hostage Crisis. All of this contributed to Carter's defeat in 1980 at the hands of Ronald Reagan.

Since then, Carter has become renowned for his humanitarian work, and has been viewed as one of the world's greatest humanitarians.

"His passing leaves heaven a little brighter tonight." Jason said in his concluding remarks.

The funeral has been scheduled for February 1 at the fomrer President's home in Plains, Georgia.

Notes:

-As always, this turn will commence after the polls go up, but yu can post immediate reactiosn to the headlines.

-This turn will last for 96 hours, but can be extended if circumstances demand it.

-Endorsements are currently under review for approval

-The New Hampshire Primary occurs this turn, on January 30 to be precise. Coverage will begin 36 hours from the polls going up.

-There will be a debate this turn. I highly reccommend attending given the recent shakeups.

-All candidates have been invted to attend the Carter funeral on February 1. Eulogy to be delivered by President Biden.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2022, 10:35:53 AM »

Polls

Democrats

Vice President Harris: 40.3%

Governor Cooper: 38.9%

Secretary Kerry: 18.8%

Undecided: 2%

New Hamsphire (final poll):

Vice President Harris: 44.3%

Governor Cooper: 42.9%

Undecided: 12.8%

Nevada

Vice President Harris: 45.6%

Governor Cooper: 43.5%

Undecided: 10.9%

South Carolina

Governor Cooper: 44.2%

Vice President Harris: 42.3%

Undecided: 13.5%

Republicans

Former President Trump: 58.9%

Mr McMahon: 21.3%

Undecided: 19.8%

New Hampshire:

Former President Trump: 60.1%

Mr McMahon: 18.9%

Undecided: 21%

Nevada

Former President Trump: 67.2%

Mr. McMahon: 10.4%

Undecided: 22.4%

South Carolina:

Former President Trump: 59.2%

Mr McMahon: 21.4%

Undecided: 19.4%

Current Delegates:

Democratic Primary (2,266 required)

Vice Pres. Harris: 21 pledged delegates

Gov. Cooper: 19 pledged delegates

Republican Primary (1,217 required)

Fmr. Pres. Trump: 26 pledged delegates

Mr. McMahon: 12 pledged delegates

Upcoming Primaries:

New Hampshire Primary, January 30 (this turn)

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 11:20:11 AM »

Rachel Maddow interviews Secretary John Kerry on The Rachel Maddow Show

Maddow: With us now is the most recent addition to the Democratic primary, the current Presidential Climate Envoy and former Secretary of State, John Kerry. Secretary Kerry, welcome.

I'm very happy to be joining you tonight, Rachel. Thank you for having me on the show.

Maddow: Let's get started, and I'll get started with the elephant in the room. Mr. Secretary, you are currently 79 years old, and if you were to win, you would be 80 on inauguration day; the oldest elected President in American history. How do you plan to counter attacks based on your age when other officials, such as Senator Sanders and President Biden, are ending their government service this term?

Kerry:This is a very fair question and I'm glad you brought it up here tonight, because I want to dispel the critics who will use age against me and anyone else like-minded such as President Biden or Senator Sanders. I have always been open and honest with the American people through my decades of public service. I would not be in this campaign if I didn't think that I would have the stamina and fortitude to lead this country as President for the next four years. Those who know me best will tell you that you'll see me still always riding my bicycle, going skiing, or even playing hockey. I've got the bruises, bumps, and scratches over the years to prove it!

What I offer through my extra years that the other candidates cannot claim is an extensive record of progressive values and action to back it up to this day. I started off in the early days of the peace movement rallying against Vietnam, and I worked as a Senator and Secretary of State on everything from protecting Social Security to reducing global poverty to imposing the strongest emission standards to date. Even working as the Special Envoy for Climate now, you'll see me negotiating with China one day and the EU on the next. I have always been bustling around and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll always be upfront with you about my health and well-being. If there comes a point when I can no longer handle the duties of the presidency to my fullest ability, I will communicate this to the American people and step down from public life. I maintain my trust in the voters who will use their best judgment on who is up for the job and who is not.

Maddow: You've had a consistent record on liberal issues for your entire career, and have been particularly prominent on the issue of climate change, which is what's led you to your current post. President Biden, and more recently Defense Secretary Austin and even Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, have all taken to describing climate change as a national security issue. Would you agree with this assessment?

Kerry:This is absolutely accurate, and the sooner that Republicans understand and accept this, the better off we will be. I've taken to calling this a climate crisis for years because the situation will soon become untenable for the planet if we do not act quickly. We will in fact witness cities flooding, unprecedented loss of biodiversity, and climate refugees from Africa and Asia within the next fifty years without proper measures from the global community.

The U.S. must step up and lead the effort going forward. I have proposed a Green New Deal of $7 trillion over the next ten years. This will be a multi-pronged investment in wind, nuclear, solar, hydroelectric, and biofuel sources. A new generation of infrastructure will take root, which will increase Americans' safety and well-being. We will connect everyone from the small farmers to the urban dwellers and create millions of sustainable new jobs in the process. I understand that there are many who would balk at a price tag like that or question the urgency of my tone, but time is truly running out. We must first get our ship together and then compel other major world leaders like China to follow suit. My record of diplomacy is uniquely suited for these times, however, and I view it as a duty to help solve the climate crisis. We owe it to the next generation and every generation after that who deserve a healthier planet than what we had.

Maddow: Mr. Secretary, in 2020, there were reports that before the South Carolina primary, you were considering jumping into the race to prevent Bernie Sanders from being the Democratic nominee that year. This was obviously before President Biden's comeback. Is there any truth to the rumour that you were considering running and if so, was it to prevent a hypothetical Sanders nomination?

Kerry:There were fleeting times early, early on in the 2020 process when I considered running. However, I deemed it to not be my time then and ruled a campaign out. The moment you referred to before South Carolina was a case of a reporter only catching one side of a two-way conversation. Keep in mind for context, this was back when many Democrats feared a contested convention with multiple candidates fracturing the party would happen. An old friend of mine called in with this fear and encouraged me to run, to which I explained all the hurdles of a presidential campaign and why I declined running to begin with.

I never had any intention of running to block a candidate like Senator Sanders, whom I deeply admire. As you know, Rachel, I endorsed President Biden early on in the primary. This was back when everyone in the media and professional class already counted him out. I endorsed Joe and stuck with him the whole way because I knew he had the right experience and judgment to be president, and he would be the one who can best unite Democrats to defeat Donald Trump. Now I'm running because I see an intensely divided party that needs to come together and defeat Donald Trump once more. With the help of you viewers watching at home, we will make this happen. *smiles*

Maddow: Secretary Kerry, thank you for joining us and good luck with the campaign.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2022, 08:03:05 PM »

Debates

Democratic debate

Venue: Paris Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada

Date: January 28

Moderator: Anderson Cooper

Cooper: Hello and welcome everyone to tonight's Democratic debate, coming live from Paris Las Vegas in Nevada. I'm your moderator Anderson Cooper. Tonight's debate will be feature question around a variety of policy areas such as the economy, foreign policy, and healthcare. Now, let's welcome our candidates. Governor Roy Cooper, Vice President Kamala Harris, and former Secretary of State John Kerry.  Of course, tonight's debate is being held in the shadows of the retirement of Senator Sanders and of course, the passing of President Jimmy Carter. Before we get into questioning, I invite each of you to say a few words about these two men.

General questions

Recently, the Sevastopol Treaty, which allowed Ukraine to join NATO in exchange for surrendering the Donbass region, was signed. Normally, the process of accession to NATO would take some time, but President Zelensky has asked for Ukraine's candidacy to be accelerated. Would you support an accelerated timetable for Ukrainian accession to NATO at the risk of agitating Russia?

Under President Biden, the economy has suffered notable fluctuations, most visibly felt by people through gas prices. How would you as President, manage our energy transition away from fossil fuels to renewable energy, while also lowering gas prices and keeping our energy grid running at full capacity?

In recent times, the Democratic Party has begun concerted efforts to push towards universal healthcare, primarily based on the single-payer model. Would you advocate for and sign a bill creating a single-payer system in the United States?

Specific questions

Vice President Harris, you're the only woman on stage tonight, and you happen to be the daughter of a mother who emigrated from India and a father who emigrated from Jamaica. As someone from this background, what was your reaction to the recent incident at a re-election rally for Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez?

Vice President Harris, you recently unveiled a plan for universal child care. This is similar to plans that have been proposed by Democrats in the past, but haven't gained much traction. Why is it this time you would be able to pass it, when it has failed under previous Presidents?

Governor Cooper, there is a growing perception that you are overly focused on the marijuana issue, and some are beginning to see you as a single-issue candidate. Why have you been pressing so hard on this issue, considering the Democratic Party is solidly behind legalisation?

Governor, there are also concerns that your campaign is too aggressive and too attacking towards other candidates and runs the risk of damaging the party heading forward. Do yu have anything to say to these concerns?

Secretary Kerry, you are the oldest candidate on stage, at 79 years. Given the retirements of President Biden and Senator Sanders this year, how do you answer questions regarding your age?

Mr Secretary, emissions in the Unted States have lowered; the same cannot be said for China or India. Given that China is considered a current geopolitical adversary to the United States, and India's current diplomatic alignment with China, how do you plan to get them onboard with emissions reduction plans?

Thank you all for coming. I'm Anderson Cooper and from all of us here in Las Vegas, goodnight.

Republican debate

Venue: Fox Theatre, Detroit, Michigan

Moderator: Brett Baier

Baier: Hello and welcome to the Republican primary debate tonight, coming to you live from the Fox Theatre here in Detroit. Tonight's debate will be largely focused around healthcare, the economy, and foreign policy. For now, let's welcome our candidates: Former President Donald Trump, and former CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, Vice McMahon. I invite boths candidates to now make an opening statement.

General questions

Wages are stagnating across America right now. Many economists are saying that this is the root cause of most of the current economic problems facing our nation; when people earn less, they end up spending less. Would you sign off on a bill that would raise the national minimum wage despite possible inflation issues?

In recent years, the Democratic Party has begun an all-out push for some form of universal healthcare, most obviously in the single-payer form. This is a simple question: what is your alternative plan to universal healthcare?

In 2022, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi undertook a trip to Taiwan. This trip was not officially sanctioned by the United States and was met by sabre-rattling from the Chinese government. Would you, as President, visit Taiwan even if it meant the possibiltiy of triggering a standoff with a nuclear power?

Specific questions

President Trump, there was a recent incident in New York City where Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was reportedly nearly assassinated. Evidence is suggesting that rhetoric used by some of your supporters may've inspired this attempt. What was your reaction to this incident?

Mr President, you were criticised for your respnse to coronavirus in 2020. Scientists are saying that this won't just be a one-off, and that the next major pandemic is just around the corner. How would you respond to a second potential pandemic?

Mr McMahon, your comments at the last debate sparked controversy in Nevada and to a leser extent Arizona when you responded 'who cares' to the topic of storing nuclear waste. Are you willing to say to the voters of these states tonight that you misspoke on the topic if nuclear waste, which does cause health and environmental issues if not stored correctly?

Mr McMahon, you recently lambasted the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, which to be brutally honest, is rhetoric one would normally hear from a Democrat, considering that the Republican party considers the Act one of their landmark achievements. Is this to say that you would pursue a different line on economic issues than the current Republican Party?

That's all we have time for tonight. From myself, our candidates, and everyone hear at the Fox Theatre, goodnight.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2022, 06:07:07 AM »

Blitzer: Good evening and welcome to CNN's live coverage of the 2024 New Hampshire primary. I'm Wolf Blitzer, here in the Election Center. Tonight, two heavily contested races. On the Democratic side, Vice President Kamala Harris faces off against Governor Roy Cooper, with the spectre of John Kerry looming in the background. For the Republicans, former President Donald Trump is looking to extend his lead over Vince McMahon. Here in the Election Center is Jake Tapper, Dana Bash, and Abby Phillip, and John King on the Magic Board. Jake, we might just go to you first before the polls close.

Tapper: Thanks Wolf. Well, both parties had debates recently. I say debates; Donald Trump failed to turn up to his party's debate, so it almost ended up as a town hall with Vince McMahon himself. That can only do harm to Trump in the long run, right Dana?

Bash: I don't see how it does anything but harm Trump. He's already facing significant fire for what we saw in 2022, with his home in Mar-a-Lago being raided by the FBI, searching for nuclear weapons documents. That investigation is still ongoing, and McMahon predictably hit him on that. It's an attack that writes itself, and with the kind of person McMahon is, there is no way he was going to let that slide.

Tapper: Absolutely. McMahon and Roy Cooper are both running aggressive campaigns, but the question is whether they can first, win the party's nomination, and then of course, unite the party around them.

Phillip: Absolutely, Jake. Looking at the Democratic debate as well, Cooper didn't let up. He kept his aggressive tactics going; that's what's allowed him to close the gap, but you got the sense that there was something building up in Harris under all these attacks, and it exploded during the debate. She really let him have it; she came back at him on his record as North Carolina's Attorney-General, and is really looking to define him as that single-issue candidate for marijuana legalisation. I think it might've worked better than Governor Cooper hoped.

Tapper: Then of course, there's the spectre of John Kerry, as you said Wolf. At this stage, we don't know what sort of impact Kerry will have on the campaign; he entered too late to register for the ballot in the early states, but he is hovering over Super Tuesday, no doubt hoping to take the northeast. I think he had a fair night at the debate as well.

Bash: He did. Kerry looks like he's trying to angle himself as being above the dogfight between Harris and Cooper. Question is if it's working or not, and we'll know that better the closer we get to Super Tuesday.

Blitzer: I'm sorry, to interrupt, but we have a key race alert. John, we have some early results.

King: We certainly do, Wolf. We'll just take a look at the board here . . .

Democratic New Hampshire primary (23 delegates)- <1% reporting

Vice Pres. Harris: 56.1%

Gov. Cooper 44.1%

New Hampshire Republican primary (22 delegates)- <1% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 62.3%

Mr McMahon: 37.7%

King: What can we say at this point is, put simply, not much. More is going to become clear as the night goes on and more votes get counted. Some variables of course are Trump's non-attendance at the debate, McMahon's outperforming of the polls in Iowa, and Harris's big moment at the debates. Not much for now, but the night is still young.

Blitzer: Thank you, John. we'll back right after this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2022, 09:44:52 AM »

Blitzer: Welcome back to the CNN Election Center for our live coverage of the 2024 New Hampshire primary. We already have one major departure from the Iowa caucus; we cannot yet declare a winner in the Republican primary because something strange is beginning to happen there. John, can you explain what is happening currently in New Hampshire?

King: Well it's quite extraordinary, Wolf. With a perfect confluence of events, like Trump's no-show at the debate, his lack of activity on the campaign trail, and the ongoing FBI investigation, McMahon is considerably overperforming the polls. If we just have a look at the board here . . .

Democratic New Hampshire primary (23 delegates)- 25% reporting

Vice Pres. Harris: 55.7%

Gov. Cooper 45.3%

New Hampshire Republican primary (22 delegates)- 25% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 58.6%

Mr McMahon: 42.4%

King: As we can see, McMahon is heavily outperforming his polling numbers here, but it has taken a perfect confluence of events for this to happen. At this stage, Trump's lead is going to be very difficult to overcome, but if that margin is under ten or even fifteen points at the end of the night, then the headlines won't be Trump wins, but how much McMahon overperformed the polls. At this stage, Harris and Cooper are still wound tight for the Democratic nomination; that will go on for a while and we're a long way off even making an early prediction.

Blitzer: it's going to be a lng night again then. McMahon outperforming the polls and Coper still hot on Harris's tail. Jake, what can you say about this?

Tapper: Well it's more or less what we said earlier in the night. The recent debates on both sides got a considerably higher audience than what would be expected, which means they saw Trump fail to show up; they saw Harris get her moment against Cooper. They saw these things play out live, and that looks to be having an effect.

Phillip: I don't think we can understate Harris's performance at the debate. As you mentioned Jake, a lot of people were eagerly awaiting that showdown between the two leading candidates given Cooper's aggressive campaign. He tried to repeat those same tactics that let him build momentum, but I don't think he was prepared for Harris to hit him back. I think he was counting on Harris giving some pat phrase and moving on, but she didn't. She turned his focus on the marijuana issue into a weakness for him; made it seem like he was a single-issue candidate. He's ging tohave to come up with some ohter major policies soon, or we could end up with a Mondale-Hart "Where's the beef?" situation.

Bash: I think that's important to remember. Cooper went into this week with momentum clearly on his side after that narrow loss in Iowa, but I think he has to take a step back, define his other major policies clearly, and catch his breath a little. He's managed to close the gap with a sitting Vice President quite dramatically, so if I were working on his campaign, I'd advise him to pump the brakes and clearly outline why he's running for President. Abby's absolutely right; we could ned up with a "Where's the beef?" situation soon if he keeps this up.

Tapper: It's going to be an interesting night ahead, that's for sure.

Blitzer: Almost certainly Jake. We'll be back after this.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies