2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:42:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: 2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 9897 times)
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2022, 06:11:42 PM »
« edited: July 29, 2022, 10:45:33 AM by John King wannabe »

Vice President Harris Campaign Schedule
Kamala Harris: For the People

December 1st | Washington D.C

December 1st:
Preside over the Senate to split a tie over judicial nomination.
Hold cabinet meeting with Biden administration
Chat with Senators at VP residence, discuss possible campaign positions

December 2nd - 3rd | Iowa

December 2nd:
Shake hands with supporters in Des Moines
Meet with local Democratic party officials
Have lunch with campaign staffers, put into action all in on Iowa and South Carolina strategy

December 3rd:
Rally in Cedar Rapids
Meet supporters in a local shopping mall, encourage them to caucus for her.
Sit down for a roundtable with single mothers, discuss plans for childcare.

December 4th - 5th | Texas

December 4th:
Rally in Houston.
Meet with abortion rights activists, dicuss plan to codify Roe v. Wade
Chat with Beto O’Rourke on nominee’s chances in Texas, court possible endorsement

December 5th:
Knock on doors in Fort Worth-Dallas area
Buy a new winter coat in local small business
Chat with local Democratic party leaders, hold town hall on affordable housing

December 6th - 8th | South Carolina

December 6th:
Visit North Charleston for a speech about income inequality
Knock on doors in Charleston

December 7th:
Rally in Columbia
Fundraiser
Rally African American supporters with a speech about racial inequality

December 9th -12th | Foreign Trip to the U.K, meet with Prime Minister Starmer, and HM Queen Elizabeth II
December 13th | Rest Day
December 14th - 16th | New Hampshire

December 14th:
Pass out Santa cookies to young children at local bowling alley
Meet with Senator Maggie Hassan, discuss possible endorsement
Interview with WMLL Manchester

December 15th:
Rally local Democrats on campaign unity, tout experience as Vice President
Visit a local college campus, connect with students over her student debt relief plan.
Eat lunch with the Second Gentleman at local Concord Restaurant

December 16th:
Several small rallies in Nashua and Manchester while standing on crate
Go ice fishing with campaign volunteers, (would fall into freezing water much to the laughter of her young staff).
Hold monthly video chat with Secretary Blinken on foreign affairs, plan return to Washington after Christmas.

December 17th - 19th | Nevada

December 17th:
Town hall in Carson City on quality affordable healthcare
Roundtable on expanding opportunities for small businesses
Dance with campaign volunteers at campaign HQ, participate in Secret Santa

December 18th:
Bake Christmas cookies with cooks in small business diners
Discuss plan to provide grants to expand small businesses
Visit Culinary Worker Union HQ, pledge support if elected President

December 19th:
Rally in Las Vegas.
Picket with workers striking for $18 minimum wage
Dance with the Second Gentleman to Christmas music at Vegas strip.
Return to campaign HQ to drop off a Secret Santa gift.

December 20th - 22nd | Iowa

December 20th:
Rally in Dubuque, announce her plan to raise the minimum wage to $18 and continue to raise it based on inflation.
Moderate BINGO games at local nursing home, talk to seniors about increasing their social security benefits.
Interview with local Iowa news station, encourage supporters to caucus from her.

December 21st:
Give speech on reducing the tax burden on low income Americans on the flatbed of a truck
Unveil new campaign bus (The bus would include the campaign colors and have “KAMALA” on one side and “MVP” on the other)
Make quick stops in neighboring cities on the campaign bus, help pass out hot chocolate to children.

December 22nd:
Visit homeless shelter, drop off fresh clothes and toys for both adults and children for Christmas
Help serve food to the homeless
Read story to young homeless children
Discuss with administrators plan to get affordable quality housing if elected President

December 23rd - 24th | South Carolina

December 23rd:
Town hall on fighting climate change and how it affects economic growth
Visit local Chuck E. Cheese, play games with kids and discuss childcare prices.
Record TikToks with young campaign staffers in Columbia

December 24th:
Celebrate Christmas Eve by knocking on doors in the cold.
Have the Second Gentleman dress up as Santa and the VP as Mrs. Claus and read to young children at local mall.
Record Christmas message at campaign HQ
Fly to California to celebrate Christmas.

December 25th - 28th | Celebrate Christmas - Rest Days

December 29th - 31st | Nevada

December 29th:
Rally in Reno, Nevada
Travel down to Las Vegas for several speeches regarding poverty
Visit the suburbs for doorknocking (Spring Valley)

December 30th:
Door Knocking in Henderson, Nevada
Fundraiser in Las Vegas

December 31st:
New Year’s Eve rally in Las Vegas
New Year’s Eve fundraiser in Las Vegas
Prepare for flight back to D.C.

January 1st - 4th | Vice Presidential duties

January 4th - 6th | Visit Italy to meet with the recently elected first female Prime Minister

January 6th - 10th | Travel to Iowa

January 6th:
Visit a local diner in the Des Moines suburbs to try breakfast pizza
Rally in Des Moines
Meet with local city council members to discuss possible endorsements
Depart for Sioux City

January 7th:
Go ice skating and meet voters
Visit the public museum (to meet voters)
Visit an elementary school to meet with teachers and students.
Zoom meeting with the Biden administration

January 8th:
Stop in Denison for Door Knocking
Visit local farmers
Fly to Cedar Falls

January 9th:
Visit the George Wyth State Park and give a speech about the importance of preserving the environment
Rally in the afternoon
Attend a high school basketball game and talk to parents about the issues
Fly to Cedar Rapids

January 10th:
Visit the downtown area of Cedar Rapids to meet with voters
Two rallies in the afternoon
Fly to DC

January 10th - 13th | Vice Presidential Duties

January 14th | Fly to Dover, New Hampshire

January 15th - 17th | New Hampshire

January 15th:
Visit construction workers in Dover
Attend a local science fair
Visit the Great Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve, discuss the importance of protecting land with reporters
2 rallies

January 16th:
Travel to Portsmouth
3 rallies
Visit a local diner for dinner

January 17th;
Travel to Nashua
Visit Chunky’s cinema to watch a movie with Doug
Prepare to leave for D.C

January 18th:
Leave in the early morning to fly to DC and attend Vice Presidential duties
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2022, 07:43:41 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2022, 07:47:22 PM by CentristRepublican »

[This post features details and information regarding Cooper's campaigning from December 1 to December 7.]

On December 1, Cooper arrives in Sioux City. He holds a large rally with State Senator Jackie Smith, who has endorsed him. "The way we vote next month, will play a major role in who our great nation's next president is. We, Iowa's Democrats, have a profound duty in making the right choice. We need to nominate a strong, liberal candidate. Somebody who stands up for our nation's values of equality and fairness, somebody who unites rather than divides, somebody who can win the general election. That's why I wholeheartedly endorsed Roy Cooper. Since his days in the North Carolina legislature, he's been a fighter for the working class. He has won tough races without compromising his positions, and he has a strong record of fighting against hate and division and for the working class and the poor, for LGBT kids, for immigrants, for refugees, for women, for African-Americans, and for those trapped by our justice system. If he wins the Democratic nomination, I have the utmost and complete confidence that he will take our fight all over the country, he'll take his case to the American people, and he'll win the election. I have total confidence that we will then have a champion for us in the White House! We need somebody who cares about US, not about winning elections or appeasing donors! We need somebody who fights for a higher minimum wage, for police reform, for gun reform, for climate change, for reducing taxes on the lower- and middle-classes and higher taxes on the richest of the rich! That's why I endorsed Roy Cooper. Because he's exactly what we need." Loud cheers. Cooper thanks Smith for her kind words, and goes off to shake hands to talk to the rallygoers. He meets a single mom who works multiple part time jobs to support her 3 kids. He meets an elderly man concerned about his healthcare and about prescription drug costs not covered in Medicare. He meets a young man worried about paying for college. A camcorder records his experiences with each of these people, and his reassuring words (this will be turned into an ad that will run across Iowa).

That evening Cooper strips diagonally across Cherokee County, heading from its southwestern corner (which touches Woodbury County, home to Sioux City) to its northeastern corner, from where he enters southwest Clay County. He shifts direction to head towards northern Clay County, to its largest city, Spencer (pop. 11,000). He says: "The rich have taken Iowans out for a ride. Trump has, too. Behind their populist, low tax rhetoric, what is the Republican Party? It is the party of the Koch Brothers, the party of the defence contractors. It is not the party of farmers in Clay County. It is not the party of the middle class. It is not the party of people who work hard to get dinner on the table here in Iowa. Behind their divisive rhetoric and culture wars, all they're for, at the end of the day, is this. Lower taxes for the people making half a million dollars a year, making a million dollars a year. Trump's 2017 tax cuts, if you look closely, were handouts to the ultra-rich, to the top 1% of earners, the people who donate to GOP candidates, who fund the GOP, who rule the GOP. Same goes for, if you look further back, to Bush's 2001 tax cuts. Those were not tax cuts for you or I. Those were tax cuts for people making seven figures a year. You tell me if it sounds fair that the top 1% of earners, on average, earn more than twenty-five times as much as the bottom 99% - that's you and I and the vast, vast majority of Americans and Iowans. You tell me if it sounds fair that the top 1% of earners have more than 42% of the nation's wealth - leaving the bottom 99% with less than 58% of our national wealth. You tell me if it sounds fair that employers earn more while their employees' wages have lower and lower purchasing power. Now you tell me if you think the top 1% deserve even more tax cuts, to come out of Medicare, from Medicaid, from aid to poor kids and disabled adults and war veterans, from Social Security. You tell me if we ought to be giving them more tax cuts, or if we need to fundamentally rework our tax structure and replace it with a progressive tax structure that taxes that top 1% much more than it taxes the bottom 99%." The fiery speech is uploaded to the Cooper Campaign's You Tube channel, where it gets many views and likes.

Cooper heads north to Dickinson County, on the border with Minnesota, and the next day begins to campaign there, too. He campaigns there with Attorney General Tom Miller. The duo heads east to also campaign in Emmet County, then dips south into Palo Alto County. They round of the day when they head east to Kossuth County and campaign there together, too.

December 3 begins with both men leaving Bancroft in Kossuth County for Winnebago County. Their route is a line tracing parallel to the border with Minnesota as they cover the string of counties along Iowa's northern boundary. After Winnebago and then Worth, they're in Mitchell County (the whitest Obama 2012 county), then in Howard County (the only county nationally to support both Barack Obama in 2012 and Donald Trump in 2016 by over 20 points each).

On December 4, Cooper and Miller hold a large town hall in Decorah, in Winneshiek County. They round off the day in Allamakee and Clayton Counties.

December 5, the two arrive in Miller's hometown Dubuque. Here, Miller parts ways with Cooper, but not before a large town hall. One attendee asks why Miller endorsed Cooper. "Well, that's easy enough to answer," Miller begins. "I have a lot of interest in our justice system. I've seen what it can do to people. It can work effectively in punishing those who commit crimes and disincentivizing them from committing them again, but it often has an adverse effect. When you throw people in jail for having marijuana, when you punish rather than rehabilitate, you're not addressing the problem of addiction, you're not addressing the possibility that going into rehab, into a Narcotics Anonymous, is a better idea than going into a jail cell. You're also not accounting for the possibility that this is a first time offender, somebody who, for no serious crime, may be traumatised for life in jail, may then go ahead and become a repeat offender. Because when you throw people in jail, what you're doing is putting that scarlet letter on their records, permanently. Then they're unlikely to get gainful employment, and that one time of drug use may haunt them for the rest of their lives. With few good employment opportunities, they may resort to using more drugs, or committing other crimes like shoplifting. Thus, what I believe is that marijuana should be decriminalised. There should be rehabilitation, not punishment. First time users should be given another chance. Those who are well and truly addicted should be given the help they need, should be rehabilitated, not put into jail. And that's why I'm horrified by Kamala Harris' record, where she's gotten nearly two thousand marijuana convictions. And then contrast that with Roy Cooper, who has fought for reducing the punishment for marijuana use, who signed a law decriminalising the use of marijuana for certain medical cases. I appreciate him going in the right direction, taking a step, however small, in the direction of rehabilitation rather than punishment. Whereas Kamala Harris, in deep blue San Francisco, in deep blue California, rather than try to decriminalise or legalise marijuana, chose punishment, chose to punish people." Miller's response is also recorded and uploaded to the Cooper Campaign YouTube channel.

Cooper then boards a flight to Ames. He arrives in Ames on Dec. 6, campaigning with State Rep. and Chair of the Iowa Democratic Party Ross Willburn. Willburn discusses Cooper's strong record on civil rights, and he calls him an "effective and sensible fighter for police reform in North Carolina." Cooper also discusses his plans to make colleges more affordable for students. That evening, he heads out to Boone County, where he spends the balance of the day campaigning.

Early the next morning he arrives in Greene County, the only county he's not yet visited and thus the final of the 99 counties in Iowa he visits. He gives a speech at the Mahanay Memorial Bell Tower. He discusses his roots, upbringing and background in an emotional speech where he, for a change, refrains from tearing into Kamala Harris.

That afternoon he heads southeast, to campaign in Dallas County. He holds a rally in West Des Moines, followed by a fundraiser in the same municipality. His pitch today is criminal justice reform. "We need a president, quite simply, who fights from criminal justice reform. Because the system is broken. Disproportionately, it's African-Americans who get incarcerated by our justice system. They are disproportionately jailed for minor 'crimes' like drug use. They end up with long sentences that permanently stay on their record. African-Americans are also disproportionately the ones that end up on death row, even in states with very small black populations, such as Maine. This is a national problem and one that requires national solutions. It's an issue familiar to me from my years as Attorney General down in North Carolina. It's an issue that needs an advocate, a fighter, in the White House. I will say in Trump's credit that one of the few good things he did was sign the FIRST STEP ACT. It was indeed a first step in the right direction on this issue, but we need to go further. Kamala Harris is absolutely the wrong choice on that count. Rather than try to reform the system, she has been one who has happily advanced it. Her 'achievement' as DA was securing nearly two thousand marijuana convictions - that's more than even her predecessors did." At the fundraiser, he hits upon similar themes, though he also has an Economic Message.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2022, 07:47:30 PM »

An ad is aired in the Des Moines - Ames, IA, Sioux City, IA, and Boston-Manchester, MA/NH, bringing together Miller's comments on marijuana policy in Dubuque and Cooper's speech in West Des Moines. It concludes with the following words (in capital, white block letters on a black backdrop): "While Roy Cooper fought to decriminalize marijuana, Kamala Harris fought to put people in jail for marijuana possession." [pause; then the next words also fade into the screen.] "Both were successful in their efforts: while Cooper shepherded and signed a law that decriminalized the use of certain medical marijuana, Kamala Harris managed to secure nearly 2,000, marijuana convictions - more than even her predecessors did." [pause; then the next words also fade into the screen.] "Who do you want in the White House: the one who's fought for legal marijuana, or the one who's fought for more marijuana convictions?"
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2022, 11:03:11 AM »

Kamala Harris: For the People
Ad aired in large urban markets of Iowa, Nevada, South Carolina and Texas.

Narrator: It’s not easy to change Washington.

How it works

(Image of Kamala debating on the Senate floor from 2017-2021)

How it looks

(Images of previous Vice Presidents followed by a video of Vice President Kamala Harris’ swearing in)

And how it helps ordinary people like you.

(Images of Kamala Harris presiding over the Senate, images of some of the bills that she has voted to pass with the names highlighted and excerpts from articles about their positive effects.)

Kamala Harris: I’m Kamala Harris, I’m the daughter of an immigrant from India, I was part of the second class to integrate my public schools, and I’m the first black woman to be elected Vice President. I’m running to be a candidate that is truly of the people and for the people. I’ve made it to the mountain top, and I want to help others do it, too and that is why I approve this message, because throughout my career, I’ve only had one client, the people.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2022, 03:40:05 PM »

An ad is aired in the Des Moines - Ames, IA, Sioux City, IA, and Boston-Manchester, MA/NH, bringing together Miller's comments on marijuana policy in Dubuque and Cooper's speech in West Des Moines. It concludes with the following words (in capital, white block letters on a black backdrop): "While Roy Cooper fought to decriminalize marijuana, Kamala Harris fought to put people in jail for marijuana possession." [pause; then the next words also fade into the screen.] "Both were successful in their efforts: while Cooper shepherded and signed a law that decriminalized the use of certain medical marijuana, Kamala Harris managed to secure nearly 2,000, marijuana convictions - more than even her predecessors did." [pause; then the next words also fade into the screen.] "Who do you want in the White House: the one who's fought for legal marijuana, or the one who's fought for more marijuana convictions?"

Same ad is aired in the following media markets:
Denver, CO;
San Diego, CA;
Sacramento-Stockton, CA;
San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose, CA;
Los Angeles, CA;
Dallas - Fort Worth, TX;
Houston, TX;
San Antonio, TX;
El Paso - Las Cruces, TX/NM

However, in each of those aforementioned media markets, another ad is also aired, which introduces Gov. Cooper to audiences/viewers and features Cooper describing his life story.

"Hi, I'm Roy Cooper, and I'm running for the Democratic nomination for president. I grew up in rural North Carolina. My family wasn't rich, and I worked on my family's farm during summers. I saw first-hand how hard ordinary Americans worked each day to get dinner on the table for their families. And I decided I wanted to be their advocate, to be a relentless fighter for the people. I went to law school and then got elected to the North Carolina legislature, and I became the Majority Leader in the State Senate." [image of young Cooper debating in the NC legislature.] "Then, I ran for Attorney General, because I saw our justice system was broken and needed reform, saw that people, disproportionately African-Americans, were locked up in jail cells on marijuana charges." [very short video clip of Kamala Harris as DA/prosecutor seeking marijuana convictions.] "I investigated and freed innocent people who were serving jail time. [news articles/headlines describing Cooper's efforts to free Gregory Taylor and others flash across screen.] [dramatic music.] "And then, in 2016, the infamous bathroom ban bill became law. The Republicans in the state legislature passed, and Governor McCrory signed, a blatantly transphobic and bigoted law that targeted trans people and banned them from using the bathroom of their gender, forcing them to use the bathroom of the gender they were born as. It also curtailed the power of state and local governments to raise the minimum wage - this, from the party of 'small government.' I was outraged. Not only did this law hurt the trans and LGBT communities of our state, it led to businesses boycotting the Tar Heel State and events being cancelled." [during this section, the following images/clips appear: first, photo of McCrory signing HB2; then, image of HB2's texts; then, incriminating headlines about NC being boycotted and what HB2 did.] "So, I ran for Governor, on a message of unity and diversity, attacking the state Republicans for the division, the hate, the bigotry and the pain they had caused. The people of North Carolina chose unity, love and acceptance over hate, bigotry and discrimination, and elected me governor." [Very short video clip of Cooper being inaugurated as governor.] "As governor, I repealed the bathroom ban bill. Not only that, I fought for expanding Medicaid and expanding Obamacare in North Carolina, because healthcare should be a right, not a privilege. I signed a bill decriminalising medical marijuana, because I don't think having weed should mean jail time and a criminal record, especially not if it's for medical purposes. And I vetoed laws that would target women seeking abortions." [New headlines about each of these achievements flash by.] "I got reelected governor in 2020. Now, I'm running for president. I've noticed a lot of parallels between the bathroom ban in North Carolina and the anti-LGBT laws and the 'Don't say Gay' laws Ron DeSantis has signed into law in Florida. I have a bad feeling that he will continue this discrimination and bigotry if elected to the White House. I'm also running because I'm worried that if the GOP wins the White House, the top 1% get even more tax breaks, at the expense of poor children, handicapped adults, war veterans, the homeless. I'm running because of the repeal of Roe, and because we need more judges on the Supreme Court that will protect and respect a woman's right to an abortion." [images of pro-choice demonstrators protesting the Dobbs decision.] "I'm running because we need action on climate change." [images of disastrous effects of climate change.] "I'm running because we need to reform our criminal justice system." [images of Kamala Harris prosecuting an African-American on marijuana charges.] "We need a consistent, solid liberal in the White House to stop the Republican agenda and move forward, towards a better future for my children and yours. That's why I'm running for president, and that's why I approve this message."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2022, 05:00:08 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2022, 05:38:11 PM by CentristRepublican »

[This post runs for the balance of Cooper's time in IA before the primary - Dec. 8 to Dec. 23.]

On December 8, Cooper arrives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa's largest city after Des Moines and the county seat of Linn County. He gives a speech about veterans' affairs at the Veterans Memorial Building.

"You know, the Iraq War was a terrible war. It was an unjust war that should never have been waged. It led to the death of many innocent Iraqi and Afghan civilians, it led to the United States using torture and committing war crimes. But the Iraq War had other victims as well: American soldiers. It was easy for George W. Bush, a man who didn't fight in Vietnam or any war, to send these brave men and women to go fight in Iraq. But these soldiers are forgotten once they come back home all too often. We remember what happened in Walter Reed. Injured veterans were neglected and treated badly. The hospital was in a terrible condition. These veterans often end up with PTSD and other issues such as depression, sometimes not diagnosed, and they end up with no help at all from the government. They find themselves homeless, on the streets. Receiving no support from the country they bravely served. And for what? And for what? So that the 1% can get even more tax cuts and even more loopholes, so that they can lounge in their multimillion dollar mansions. Time for that to change. We don't need to fight any more wars abroad, we don't need to send our military for more nation building. We need to reduce spending on the DoD and on the military. We need to also end those tax cuts and those tax loopholes Bush and Trump gave the ultra-rich. We can then use that money, not only to give tax breaks to the middle class, but to help the homeless, to treat sick and depressed veterans suffering from PTSD, who have been ignored and received no help from their government. We can do that. That is how we can honour our veterans and honour our military. That is how we can do that. The solution isn't to send more American soldiers to go and fight more wars. It's to help veterans and soldiers and pull them out of the shadows and allow them to live the lives they deserve. More mental health funding, more treatment of depression and PTSD, will prove much better a long-term investment in America than more funding for bomber planes and nuclear weapons and defence contractors. Republicans don't want that. Last year, at the last minute, they cut out provisions that would provide healthcare and benefits to war veterans exposed to toxic substances. They did that, presumably so they could give their donors another tax break. Well let me tell you that will not fly under a Cooper Administration. We will give our veterans the aid they deserve, the healthcare deserve, and not abandon them in their hour of need when they bravely chose to put their lives on the line and help us in ours."

Loud cheers. The speech is also uploaded to YouTube. Cooper spends the rest of the day campaigning in Cedar Rapids with State Sen. Todd Taylor, who previously endorsed him.

The next day, Cooper's wife, Kristin, also flies in to the Hawkeye State to campaign with him. Husband and wife converge in Iowa City. Kristin gives a well-received emotional speech, then the couple meet with Iowans and attend a town hall. Over the next two days (that is, December 10 and December 11), the couple also visit Waterloo (Black Hawk County) and Dubuque (Dubuque County).

On December 12, Cooper campaigns alone in Scott County and Davenport.
December 13, Cooper campaigns in Iowa City with Mayor Bruce Teague and Senate Minority Leader Zach Wahls.
December 14 finds Cooper once again in Cedar Rapids, this time with Atty. Gen. Tom Miller.
The governor holds town halls and rallies with Atty. General in Dubuque on December 15.
Cooper campaigns on December 16 in Waterloo, with Atty. Gen. Miller.

Cooper spends December 17 heading west from Waterloo, heading across Grundy, Hardin and Hamilton Counties, with stops in Grundy Center, Iowa Falls and Webster City along the way. He talks about his economic plank but also discusses "sensible, common sense gun laws to protect our children and stop more massacres like those in Uvalde". He speaks of the subject at a brief Webster City town hall, when somebody asks: "I agree with the rest of your policies, but I'm worried about your gun control policies. Is it true that you and Democrats want to take away guns from law-abiding citizens? Am I in danger of getting my guns taken away from me if you or Eric Adams or Kamala Harris are elected? I don't want the government to take away my right to own a gun." Cooper replies:

"Nobody is talking about taking away guns from law-abiding citizens. Look, I grew up in rural North Carolina. My dad owned a gun. I know how to use a gun, how to use a hunting rifle. I, like so many of you, know the difference between the kinds of guns law-abiding citizens use to hunt, to keep themselves protected, and the powerful assault rifles, the guns that can fire off bullets so quickly and kill so many people in just moments. I'm not talking about taking away anybody's hunting rifles or anybody's pistols. I'm talking about taking away assault rifles and high-capacity magazines, the things mass shooters use to commit mass shootings. I'm talking about more common sense laws like the bipartisan red flag law. I'm talking about action, and not just empty words. I've seen a lot of Republicans, the same Republicans, incidentally, whose campaigns receive massive donations from the NRA, offer 'thoughts and prayers' but, when the time comes for action dn meaningful steps to prevent more tragedies, call it 'politicising a tragedy.' Learning from tragedies like Uvalde and taking the necessary steps to prevent those tragedies from occurring again is NOT politicising a tragedy. That is simply what the NRA calls it because they oppose ALL gun reform laws, including common sense laws like red flag laws to stop known domestic abusers, people with criminal histories, people on terrorist lists, from accessing dangerous weapons. Let me ask you: Do those people - those on terrorist lists, those known to be domestic abusers, those who have criminal records and histories of violent crime - sound like law-abiding citizens to you? Would you object to AK47s and assault rifles being taken away from them, to stop more mass shootings like in Buffalo and Uvalde? Would you call that taking away guns from law-abiding citizens? I respect our constitution, and I respect the Second Amendment. I support the right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms as much as any of you. But I just as strongly oppose dangerous criminals, depressed and suicidal people, people on terrorist watch lists, from getting their hands on firearms. That's why I support common sense gun laws."

Applause. Naturally, the encounter is recorded and uploaded to the YouTube channel for others to view.

On December 17, Cooper arrives in Ames to once more campaign with Ross Willburn. After a rally, Cooper holds a fundraiser in Ames. He then heads down to Polk County (home to Des Moines), where, after a town hall, he spends the evening in a hotel. On December 18, he goes down to Des Moines proper for a fundraiser with Mayor Frank Cownie, who has endorsed him. "Roy's a great guy and I know he's the best candidate running for president. We need more people like him - people who care about ordinary Americans - in public service." Cooper thanks Cownie for his kind words, and, after a brief speech discussing his vision for the country, begins meeting with individual donors from across central Iowa. After that, he has dinner with campaign volunteers and supporters at a Mexican restaurant, and then goes to sleep.

December 19 has Cooper crisscrossing Madison, Warren and Marion Counties - all south of Des Moines.

On December 20, with just 4 more days of campaigning in Iowa before the caucus, Cooper decides to campaign in a tier of counties in southern Iowa - Lucas County, Clarke County, Union County, Ringgold County, and Decatur County. He holds town halls in Union and Decatur Counties and gives speeches in Lucas, Clarke and Ringgold Counties. On December 21, he is in Wayne, Appanoose, Davis and Van Buren Counties (all on the border with Missouri). On December 22, he is all over southeastern Iowa - Jefferson, Lee, Des Moines and Henry Counties. With two days to go, Cooper rapidly traverses parts of Louisa and Muscatine Counties, boards an afternoon flight from Iowa City to Council Bluffs, and holds a massive rally in Council Bluffs with State Rep. Charlie McConkey. From there, Cooper goes south, through Mills and Fremont Counties on the Nebraska border and back again, then has a solo town hall in Carter Lake (in Pottawattamie County) to wrap up the day. His final day in Iowa before the caucus is spent in Harrison, Shelby, Crawford and Monona Counties, before he heads up to Sioux City, from where he boards a flight to North Carolina.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2022, 05:09:02 PM »

December 24 to January 3 sees Cooper in the Carolinas. He officiates a Christmas ceremony and spends time with family in Raleigh on December 24 and December 25, but then it's back to business: he hosts a political fundraiser for the campaign on December 26 in Raleigh, flies down to Charlotte to do the same on December 27, and then spends the three days thereafter in South Carolina. After town halls and speeches in York and Lancaster Counties where he discusses agricultural/rural issues, he goes down to Fairfield County to meet with County Councillors Rosebourough and Greene, both of whom have endorsed him, to discuss local and racial issues in the county. On December 29, he holds a rally + fundraiser in Columbia before heading towards Greenville County via Lexington, Newberry and Laurens Counties (with one stop in each of the three counties). On December 30, he has a rally and speech in Greenville after City Councillor Lillian Brock-Fleming, who has endorsed him, delivers a brief introductory speech to the audience (which is majority-African-American). On December 31, he flies back to Raleigh to spend time with family and have a New Year's Eve party at the State Capitol. He spends time tending to gubernatorial duties and spending time with family until the afternoon of the 3rd, when he departs for New Hampshire.
Pink Panther

« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2022, 05:40:32 PM »

*December 1st: Rally in Detroit, MI. Also challenge Roy Cooper to a Detroit style rap battle

*December 2nd: Rally in Ann Arbor, MI. Also cover the entirety of Michigan Stadium with advertisement of WWE PPV Day One

*December 3rd: Rally in Lansing, MI. Wear Michigan Wolverines gear during the rally.

*December 4th: Attend Fundraiser in Rochester Hills, MI

*December 5th: Do a 5-hour concert with Drake in Cleveland, OH. Will also kick him in the nuts and throw him off the stage onto a large pile of thumbtacks after the show.

*December 6th: Air ads nationwide proclaiming a missing persons alert for Ron DeSantis

*December 7th: Hold a fundraiser in Pensacola, FL.

*December 8th: Rally in Tallahassee, FL. Afterwards place missing person photos for Ron DeSantis everywhere on the city, including the Governor's mansion.

*December 9th: Rally in Miracle Village, FL

*December 10th: Rally in Jacksonville, FL. Challenge Tony Khan to a shoot fight with my stock in WWE and his AEW positions on the line.

*December 11th: Livestream my visit to the beach on YouTube in St. Augustine, FL

*December 12-15th: Rally in Orlando, FL at Disney world at it's all four parks. Promise to burn the theme park for it's Satanic ties

*December 16th: Rally Rally in Tampa, FL. Show off the women I payed hush money to and talk them up.

*December 17th: Rally in St. Pinellas, FL.

*December 18th: Rally in Palm Beach, FL. Afterwards I will go to Mar-A-Lago and throw toilet paper rolls all over the resort with my supporters. We will also throw a ton of fast food at the place as well.

*December 19th: Rally in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Issue another missing persons alert for Ron DeSantis.

*December 20th: Rally in Miami, FL. We will talk about how Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump are secret socialists who masquerade as Republicans to get elected.

*December 21st-26th: Rally in various townships in Miami-Dade County in Google Translate Spanish and air ads in Spanish about how Trump and DeSantis are secret socialists, as well as their obesity.

*December 27th-31st: Appear in YouTube videos with PewDiePie, Mr. Beast, Cocomelon, and Red Eagle Politics

*January 1st: Have a YouTube Livestream of me lighting off $5 million worth of fireworks in Dallas, TX.

*January 2nd: Storm the Joe Rogan Experience and talk trash about Rogan on his podcast for his comments previously on me.

*January 3rd: Rally in Dallas, TX. Afterwards, we will hijack a show in AT&T Stadium, continuesly promoting my campaign and play "Laffy Taffy" by D4L non-stop for a few hours.

*January 4th: Rally in Ft. Worth, TX. Then have a cowboy show

*January 5th: Travel to NH.

*January 6th: Wait outside a Roy Cooper rally in the state with a mustache handing out what is promoted as Raws, but is actually highlight packages of the Genetic Jackhammer.

*January 7th: Hold a fundraiser in Nashua, NH. Even talk with the Shaheens after the rally.

*January 8th: Hold a rally in Portsmouth, NH. Attack Trump for his weight, dementia, and how he's a servant of the Illuminati.

*January 9th-17th: Protest outside WWE headquarters in Stamford, CT for my old jobs back.

*January 18th: Box Jake Paul in Madison Square Garden in NYC.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2022, 05:50:51 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2022, 06:00:37 PM by CentristRepublican »

COOPER ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL
YouTube playlist of Cooper's short speeches

(Unless otherwise stated, all speeches are by Gov. Cooper.)

"My belief has always been that the American government should serve the people. It should serve the poor, the sick and the needy. It should serve as a beacon of freedom for people worldwide. All my life, I've wanted to help in pursuing those ideals. Right now, running for president, we have a lot of people who oppose those ideals. There is Donald Trump. He wants us to close ourself off from the rest of the world. He is a bigoted misogynist who has actively tried to assault our democracy as we know it. His presidency was an abject disaster. He stands counter to America's ideals of freedom and diversity and democracy. Ron DeSantis is also a bigoted homophobe and transphobe who as governor of Florida has done nothing to help Floridians, but has instead targeted trans people and gay people. We need to fight back hard against their bigoted, anti-democracy ideas, with our own ideals, our ideals of a government for the people, by the people, and of the people, a government that welcomes immigrants, a government that does not trample upon its own citizens. A government that only gives tax cuts to the rich, a government which targets its own citizens, a government which looks the other way to existential crises such as our gun violence epidemic and climate change - that is what we will get if we let the Republican Party win the White House. To quote Lyndon Johnson, "These are the stakes, to create a world in which all of God's children can live." You must understand - this is no ordinary election. In 2020, we came awfully close to letting Donald Trump remain in the White House. We are on the brink of letting him reenter at this time. We need a strong and liberal candidate to defeat him and fight for our values and our ideals and our principles. There is myself. But we also have candidates who've thrown people in jail for possession of marijuana, candidates who have supported deporting illegal immigrants, candidates who have accepted and bragged about NRA endorsements, candidates who haven't been on the campaign trail, and candidates who have looked the other way to the overprescription of opioids. Unlike Kamala Harris, I can win and don't have approvals in the tank, and I've never had a problem with adults recreationally using a little marijuana every know and then. Unlike Tammy Baldwin, I intend to seriously address the issue of the opioid crisis, and address problems such as overprescription. No more Marine Corps veterans will die because our government overprescribed them opioids and other drugs. Unlike Kathy Hochul, I will never cave to or cater to the NRA, and I will never, ever accept their endorsement, let alone tout it, as she did, nor try to deport illegal immigrants. Unlike Elizabeth Warren, I'll actually take our climate crisis seriously. Unlike all four of them, I will listen to all of you. Unlike all four of them, I care about people other than rich donors. The other four candidates haven't even bothered to give Butler County or any of rural Iowa much attention. They take your votes for granted. They figure, even if they lose your vote, it's all right, because they think they can win the caucuses by getting votes out of Des Moines and Cedar Rapids and Iowa City and they think they can just ignore the rest of the state. They do not value your concerns. They cannot be bothered to campaign out in rural Iowa - they'll send campaign surrogates, or they'll do a quick whistle-stop campaign to just get it done and over with in three or four days. Not me. America values each and every one of its citizens, and so do I. I will not forget any of the many people I've met on the campaign trail, the people I will meet on the campaign trail. I've listened to your concerns and when I'm in the White House, I promise to you I will not forget them. Your concerns matter to me infinitely more than whatever the donors might tell me. I won't pretend I don't care about what they say at all, but I care much more about the American people. Whether you'r rich or poor, gay or straight, male or female or nonbinary, black or white, urban or rural, and whether you vote for me or against me, I intend to serve you as president, and do the very best I can to build a better nation for you, and a better future for your children."

"The rich have taken Iowans out for a ride. Trump has, too. Behind their populist, low tax rhetoric, what is the Republican Party? It is the party of the Koch Brothers, the party of the defence contractors. It is not the party of farmers in Clay County. It is not the party of the middle class. It is not the party of people who work hard to get dinner on the table here in Iowa. Behind their divisive rhetoric and culture wars, all they're for, at the end of the day, is this. Lower taxes for the people making half a million dollars a year, making a million dollars a year. Trump's 2017 tax cuts, if you look closely, were handouts to the ultra-rich, to the top 1% of earners, the people who donate to GOP candidates, who fund the GOP, who rule the GOP. Same goes for, if you look further back, to Bush's 2001 tax cuts. Those were not tax cuts for you or I. Those were tax cuts for people making seven figures a year. You tell me if it sounds fair that the top 1% of earners, on average, earn more than twenty-five times as much as the bottom 99% - that's you and I and the vast, vast majority of Americans and Iowans. You tell me if it sounds fair that the top 1% of earners have more than 42% of the nation's wealth - leaving the bottom 99% with less than 58% of our national wealth. You tell me if it sounds fair that employers earn more while their employees' wages have lower and lower purchasing power. Now you tell me if you think the top 1% deserve even more tax cuts, to come out of Medicare, from Medicaid, from aid to poor kids and disabled adults and war veterans, from Social Security. You tell me if we ought to be giving them more tax cuts, or if we need to fundamentally rework our tax structure and replace it with a progressive tax structure that taxes that top 1% much more than it taxes the bottom 99%."

(The below speech is by Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller.)
"I have a lot of interest in our justice system. I've seen what it can do to people. It can work effectively in punishing those who commit crimes and disincentivizing them from committing them again, but it often has an adverse effect. When you throw people in jail for having marijuana, when you punish rather than rehabilitate, you're not addressing the problem of addiction, you're not addressing the possibility that going into rehab, into a Narcotics Anonymous, is a better idea than going into a jail cell. You're also not accounting for the possibility that this is a first time offender, somebody who, for no serious crime, may be traumatised for life in jail, may then go ahead and become a repeat offender. Because when you throw people in jail, what you're doing is putting that scarlet letter on their records, permanently. Then they're unlikely to get gainful employment, and that one time of drug use may haunt them for the rest of their lives. With few good employment opportunities, they may resort to using more drugs, or committing other crimes like shoplifting. Thus, what I believe is that marijuana should be decriminalised. There should be rehabilitation, not punishment. First time users should be given another chance. Those who are well and truly addicted should be given the help they need, should be rehabilitated, not put into jail. And that's why I'm horrified by Kamala Harris' record, where she's gotten nearly two thousand marijuana convictions. And then contrast that with Roy Cooper, who has fought for reducing the punishment for marijuana use, who signed a law decriminalising the use of marijuana for certain medical cases. I appreciate him going in the right direction, taking a step, however small, in the direction of rehabilitation rather than punishment. Whereas Kamala Harris, in deep blue San Francisco, in deep blue California, rather than try to decriminalise or legalise marijuana, chose punishment, chose to punish people."

"You know, the Iraq War was a terrible war. It was an unjust war that should never have been waged. It led to the death of many innocent Iraqi and Afghan civilians, it led to the United States using torture and committing war crimes. But the Iraq War had other victims as well: American soldiers. It was easy for George W. Bush, a man who didn't fight in Vietnam or any war, to send these brave men and women to go fight in Iraq. But these soldiers are forgotten once they come back home all too often. We remember what happened in Walter Reed. Injured veterans were neglected and treated badly. The hospital was in a terrible condition. These veterans often end up with PTSD and other issues such as depression, sometimes not diagnosed, and they end up with no help at all from the government. They find themselves homeless, on the streets. Receiving no support from the country they bravely served. And for what? And for what? So that the 1% can get even more tax cuts and even more loopholes, so that they can lounge in their multimillion dollar mansions. Time for that to change. We don't need to fight any more wars abroad, we don't need to send our military for more nation building. We need to reduce spending on the DoD and on the military. We need to also end those tax cuts and those tax loopholes Bush and Trump gave the ultra-rich. We can then use that money, not only to give tax breaks to the middle class, but to help the homeless, to treat sick and depressed veterans suffering from PTSD, who have been ignored and received no help from their government. We can do that. That is how we can honour our veterans and honour our military. That is how we can do that. The solution isn't to send more American soldiers to go and fight more wars. It's to help veterans and soldiers and pull them out of the shadows and allow them to live the lives they deserve. More mental health funding, more treatment of depression and PTSD, will prove much better a long-term investment in America than more funding for bomber planes and nuclear weapons and defence contractors. Republicans don't want that. Last year, at the last minute, they cut out provisions that would provide healthcare and benefits to war veterans exposed to toxic substances. They did that, presumably so they could give their donors another tax break. Well let me tell you that will not fly under a Cooper Administration. We will give our veterans the aid they deserve, the healthcare deserve, and not abandon them in their hour of need when they bravely chose to put their lives on the line and help us in ours."

"Nobody is talking about taking away guns from law-abiding citizens. Look, I grew up in rural North Carolina. My dad owned a gun. I know how to use a gun, how to use a hunting rifle. I, like so many of you, know the difference between the kinds of guns law-abiding citizens use to hunt, to keep themselves protected, and the powerful assault rifles, the guns that can fire off bullets so quickly and kill so many people in just moments. I'm not talking about taking away anybody's hunting rifles or anybody's pistols. I'm talking about taking away assault rifles and high-capacity magazines, the things mass shooters use to commit mass shootings. I'm talking about more common sense laws like the bipartisan red flag law. I'm talking about action, and not just empty words. I've seen a lot of Republicans, the same Republicans, incidentally, whose campaigns receive massive donations from the NRA, offer 'thoughts and prayers' but, when the time comes for action dn meaningful steps to prevent more tragedies, call it 'politicising a tragedy.' Learning from tragedies like Uvalde and taking the necessary steps to prevent those tragedies from occurring again is NOT politicising a tragedy. That is simply what the NRA calls it because they oppose ALL gun reform laws, including common sense laws like red flag laws to stop known domestic abusers, people with criminal histories, people on terrorist lists, from accessing dangerous weapons. Let me ask you: Do those people - those on terrorist lists, those known to be domestic abusers, those who have criminal records and histories of violent crime - sound like law-abiding citizens to you? Would you object to AK47s and assault rifles being taken away from them, to stop more mass shootings like in Buffalo and Uvalde? Would you call that taking away guns from law-abiding citizens? I respect our constitution, and I respect the Second Amendment. I support the right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms as much as any of you. But I just as strongly oppose dangerous criminals, depressed and suicidal people, people on terrorist watch lists, from getting their hands on firearms. That's why I support common sense gun laws."

Also, the two ads aired in media markets are also uploaded to YouTube so that anybody can view them if they want:

Same ad is aired in the following media markets:
Denver, CO;
San Diego, CA;
Sacramento-Stockton, CA;
San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose, CA;
Los Angeles, CA;
Dallas - Fort Worth, TX;
Houston, TX;
San Antonio, TX;
El Paso - Las Cruces, TX/NM

However, in each of those aforementioned media markets, another ad is also aired, which introduces Gov. Cooper to audiences/viewers and features Cooper describing his life story.

"Hi, I'm Roy Cooper, and I'm running for the Democratic nomination for president. I grew up in rural North Carolina. My family wasn't rich, and I worked on my family's farm during summers. I saw first-hand how hard ordinary Americans worked each day to get dinner on the table for their families. And I decided I wanted to be their advocate, to be a relentless fighter for the people. I went to law school and then got elected to the North Carolina legislature, and I became the Majority Leader in the State Senate." [image of young Cooper debating in the NC legislature.] "Then, I ran for Attorney General, because I saw our justice system was broken and needed reform, saw that people, disproportionately African-Americans, were locked up in jail cells on marijuana charges." [very short video clip of Kamala Harris as DA/prosecutor seeking marijuana convictions.] "I investigated and freed innocent people who were serving jail time. [news articles/headlines describing Cooper's efforts to free Gregory Taylor and others flash across screen.] [dramatic music.] "And then, in 2016, the infamous bathroom ban bill became law. The Republicans in the state legislature passed, and Governor McCrory signed, a blatantly transphobic and bigoted law that targeted trans people and banned them from using the bathroom of their gender, forcing them to use the bathroom of the gender they were born as. It also curtailed the power of state and local governments to raise the minimum wage - this, from the party of 'small government.' I was outraged. Not only did this law hurt the trans and LGBT communities of our state, it led to businesses boycotting the Tar Heel State and events being cancelled." [during this section, the following images/clips appear: first, photo of McCrory signing HB2; then, image of HB2's texts; then, incriminating headlines about NC being boycotted and what HB2 did.] "So, I ran for Governor, on a message of unity and diversity, attacking the state Republicans for the division, the hate, the bigotry and the pain they had caused. The people of North Carolina chose unity, love and acceptance over hate, bigotry and discrimination, and elected me governor." [Very short video clip of Cooper being inaugurated as governor.] "As governor, I repealed the bathroom ban bill. Not only that, I fought for expanding Medicaid and expanding Obamacare in North Carolina, because healthcare should be a right, not a privilege. I signed a bill decriminalising medical marijuana, because I don't think having weed should mean jail time and a criminal record, especially not if it's for medical purposes. And I vetoed laws that would target women seeking abortions." [New headlines about each of these achievements flash by.] "I got reelected governor in 2020. Now, I'm running for president. I've noticed a lot of parallels between the bathroom ban in North Carolina and the anti-LGBT laws and the 'Don't say Gay' laws Ron DeSantis has signed into law in Florida. I have a bad feeling that he will continue this discrimination and bigotry if elected to the White House. I'm also running because I'm worried that if the GOP wins the White House, the top 1% get even more tax breaks, at the expense of poor children, handicapped adults, war veterans, the homeless. I'm running because of the repeal of Roe, and because we need more judges on the Supreme Court that will protect and respect a woman's right to an abortion." [images of pro-choice demonstrators protesting the Dobbs decision.] "I'm running because we need action on climate change." [images of disastrous effects of climate change.] "I'm running because we need to reform our criminal justice system." [images of Kamala Harris prosecuting an African-American on marijuana charges.] "We need a consistent, solid liberal in the White House to stop the Republican agenda and move forward, towards a better future for my children and yours. That's why I'm running for president, and that's why I approve this message."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2022, 06:05:11 PM »

COOPER ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL
YouTube playlist of Cooper's short speeches

(CONTINUED)

ATTENDEE: "Governor Cooper, my son turned eighteen this year and was supposed to begin college a week back. He's gotten great grades and he's really excited to go to a good college. However, although we really want to help him go to the college of his dreams, we're very worried about the cost. Both my wife and I work multiple jobs, but we still can't scrape together enough money to send him to college. We're very wary of taking on student loans, and we really want to send our son to college, but we simply can't afford it. Do you have a plan regarding this issue?"

COOPER: "Well, sir, I'm glad you asked this question. First off, I truly sympathise with your predicament. Millions of American families have this dilemma, and are forced to choose between not sending their children to college, or having to take on tons of debt in student loans and working multiple jobs. Education should be a right, not a privilege. A Cooper Administration will enact a comprehensive agenda to tackle this issue, because this issue is of very high priority to me. Specifically, we would firstly take a leaf from President Biden's book and do what he did last year on a larger scale. He forgave a limited amount of student debts. Well, we'd go further. I pledge here and now that if elected, I will eliminate and forgive all currently standing student debt. We have seniors who, because of the way the loans work and the high interest, are still having to set aside money from their Social Security paycheque to pay towards their student loans. It's crazy, and it has got to stop. However, to ensure that this problem does not repeat itself, we would also establish thousands of free community colleges, nationwide. Your son would have the opportunity to attend one of these colleges - we'd have some in New Hampshire, perhaps one right here in Portsmouth. This would provide an alternative that does not involve choosing between no higher education and a truckload in student debt. It would also force colleges' hand and force them to lower their prices to remain competitive and not lose out on students. This way, your son would be guaranteed a path to some college, at either little or no cost to you, and without any need for student loans. Not only would your son benefit from this, but so would millions of college-age young people, and their parents, who face a similar struggle."

ATTENDEE: "I heard that in South Carolina, Eric Adams has accused you of flip-flopping on immigration and possibly supporting open borders. What exactly is your position on immigration and do you or do you not support open borders?"

COOPER: "Thank you for the question, ma'am. (Laughs) Well, I heard what Mayor Adams said too, and quite frankly I'm surprised. Either Mayor Adams is deliberately distorting the truth and misrepresenting what I said, or he doesn't understand what open borders means. My position has been consistent all along. I support a legal pathway to immigration for those illegal immigrations who've been living in the shadows out here for decades, who've led honest lives and not committed any crimes. I support their children, Dreamers, getting a fair shake. I think we should welcome immigrants and refugees and make the immigration process easier and more straightforward, so the incentive for illegal immigration is lower. I oppose a border wall. I oppose putting kids in cages and separating families at the southern border. I also oppose the other extreme, open borders, and very clearly said as much at the debate. Now in contrast, you've got Mayor Adams, who either doesn't understand how open borders work and what I've said on the subject, or who is deliberately lying about this. Mayor Adams: there is a difference between supporting amnesty for illegal immigrants who've lived here for decades in the shadows and who've not committed any crimes, and supporting open borders. I support the former, and just as strongly oppose the latter. And you've got Governor Kathy Hochul. Governor Hochul has previously supported deporting illegal immigrants, a move, which as I said, I strongly oppose, and which prompted Mayor Adams to accuse me of supporting open borders. Hochul also threatened to arrest and deport illegal immigrants who applied for drivers' licenses. Now, as she's realised it's politically expedient, she's had a 180 degree turn on immigration, had a complete about-face. She is the one who's flip-flopped on this issue, who's not been consistent, Mayor Adams - not me. This is quite evident, and why you'd try to turn the tables on me is something I'd be interested in knowing. My question is this: If she's in the White House, which Kathy Hochul will we have? The one who supports deporting illegal immigrants, or the one who supports proper immigration reform? We cannot trust Kathy Hochul on this issue, frankly. She has been as inconsistent on this subject as I've been consistent. I hope this answers your question fully, and once again: I am one hundred percent opposed to open borders, and I made this crystal clear at the most recent Democratic debate."  

"I was surprised to find Kathy Hochul drop out, and even more so that she endorsed Mayor Adams for president.  It'll be interesting, to say the least, to see how her departure shakes up the race. I advise Governor Hochul's supporters to think long and hard before deciding who to support, because there are now three options in this race. There's Kamala Harris, an alienating vice-president who will make winning the White House easier for the Republican candidate. Kamala Harris is somebody who has a record of prosecuting people, of throwing people in jail, for having marijuana. In contrast, if you look at my record in North Carolina, a state that Kamala Harris has trashed and insulted, I worked with a Republican-controlled legislature to move forward on marijuana. We legalised THC and marijuana for medicinal use. We legalised possession of a small amount of marijuana. Then you've got Mayor Eric Adams, a fellow New York Democrat who Kathy Hochul endorsed. I think it's important to remember here that Eric Adams has bragged about being endorsed by the most conservative Democrat in the House, somebody who, in this time where women's reproductive rights are on the forefront of our politics, has opposed the right of a woman to have an abortion. You know what else? He is somebody who continued to meet with Andrew Cuomo even after so many women alleged that Cuomo harassed or assaulted them. So, you know, as Representatives Lee and Titus - both of whom have endorsed me - said, this election will be pivotal for women's rights. So we need a Democratic candidate who supports women. Not somebody whose record on supporting women, on women's rights, is questionable, is sketchy, at best. And you know, Eric claims to be a liberal, but I recall not all that long ago he was a conservative Republican. He's been endorsed by that conservative, anti-abortion Democrat, Henry Cuellar. So the same way his record on women is questionable, his liberal credentials are just as spotty, are just as debatable. And then you've got me. I got elected in a campaign that fought against hate, against transphobia. And we were able to win, at the same time that Donald Trump won our state. We were able to, despite a Republican legislature, to do so much. We took some steps toward legalising marijuana in North Carolina, as I previously mentioned. We signed into law regulations to fight the opioid epidemic. We fought for expanded Medicare. And in 2020, as Trump won the state again, we won reelection. So my question to all of Kathy Hochul supporters, to really all undecided voters, is this. Are we going to choose somebody who is extremely unpopular, who has tried to lock up people for having marijuana, somebody whose liberal credentials, whose support for women, is at best questionable, or a liberal fighter who's won uphill fights, unlikely races, and who's never wavered from justice, and equality, and liberalism? That is the question that all of those who are undecided between the three candidates need to think long and hard about. Because, you know, who we choose to be our candidate out in Iowa and New Hampshire, right here in Nevada, who we vote for in the primaries all across the country, will have dramatic national implications. If we choose the wrong horse, if we choose somebody who's equivocated on marijuana and on women's rights, if we choose somebody who'll only go on to lose to Trump or DeSantis in November, let me say it now: the future will be bleak. Or, you know, or we can choose somebody who can win, and who has been consistent, and then when we win the White House, we will end the death penalty, we will legalise marijuana on a national level, we will end the filibuster, we will transition to renewable, and we will fight for abortion rights, we'll get more justices on the Supreme Court who support abortion rights. To put it another way, we either take our country in a positive direction, in the right direction, towards progress and equality and justice, or we head down the wrong path, in the wrong direction, towards hate and bigotry and division and inequality. I'm in this race because we have to, have to, have to win the White House if we want to go down the right path, and if we allow the Republicans to win it, we head down the wrong path, from where it'll be that much harder to take a 180 and turn towards the right direction. So please, think about all those things when you consider who to vote for in the primary. The stakes are far too high, for this country, for the planet, to make the wrong decision."

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2022, 09:21:42 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2022, 12:49:38 PM by CentristRepublican »

From December 4 to December 18, Cooper criss-crosses the Granite State, New Hampshire. He campaigns with all eleven New Hampshire politicians who have endorsed him: the 10 Democrats in the state senate, and Congressman Chris Pappas of NH01. Briefly:

December 4-6: 4 rallies (one with Congressman Pappas, one with State Sen. Lou D'Allesandro one with State Sen. Donna Soucy, and one with Kevin Cavanaugh) in Manchester, along with 2 town halls and 1 fundraiser (where all 4 aforementioned Manchester politicians are present)
December 7: Town hall and rally in Nashua (latter also featuring State Sen. Cindy Rosenwald)
December 8: In Cheshire County. Rally in Keene with State Sen. Jay Kahn, along with town halls in Swanzey, Rindge, and Jaffrey - thus, Cooper visits the 4 largest communities in the county
December 9: In Sullivan County. Rallies in Claremont and Newport, the county's two largest communities, and town halls in Grantham, Charlestown and Cornish.
December 10: Campaigning all over Grafton County. Rally (with State Sen. Suzanne Prentiss) and town hall in Lebanon, the county's largest community, and town halls in Hanover, Plymouth and Littleton, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th largest communities in the county.
December 11-12: From Plymouth, Cooper heads down to Merrimack County. Here, he has rallies in Pembroke, Franklin, Contoocook (with native State Sen. Becky Whitley), and town halls in Allenstown and Pittsfield. He also has a rally and fundraiser in the state capitol of Concord.
December 13: Rallies in Derry and Salem and fundraiser in Londonderry. This is followed by town halls in Exeter and Hampton.
December 14: Rally in Rye with State Sen. Tom Sherman; rally in Portsmouth with State Sen. Rebecca Kwoka. Fundraiser in Portsmouth.
December 15: Campaigning in Strafford County. Rally and fundraiser in Dover with State Sen. David Watters, followed by town hall in Durham.
December 16: Rallies in Laconia and Wolfeboro; town halls in Wakefield and Moultonborough.
December 17: Rally in Conway; town hall in Ossipee. Town halls in Gorham and Berlin.
December 18: Fly in private helicopter from Berlin to Des Moines.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2022, 12:41:38 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2022, 12:44:58 PM by CentristRepublican »

COOPER AT RALLY IN NEW HAMPSHIRE UPON RECEIVING NOTE SAYING THAT ERIC ADAMS HAS JUST DROPPED OUT AND ENDORSED HIM:

"This just in, folks: Mayor Adams just dropped out and endorsed my presidential campaign. Well, first of all, I'd like to thank Mayor Adams for endorsing me. This means a great deal to me. And I think it means a great deal for the Democratic voters who will be casting their ballots in the upcoming primaries. Because though Eric and I had some differences, he had the right platform. He cared about, he listened to, the people. He was knowledgable about the issues, he was compassionate and caring, and he has important experience: he's served in the police, where he tackled police brutality and worked towards police reform, where he addressed racial profiling. And I think he realised which of the two remaining candidates - VP Harris and myself - shared those ideals, those goals, that vision. The candidate who's fought to fix the broken criminal justice system, or the one who's been a part of it, an enabler of it? Well, he made that choice, and now, so must each of his supporters. Mayor Adams ran a campaign centric on racial equality, police reform, criminal justice reform. So, will you support the candidate who worked to decriminalise marijuana, or the one who landed people in jail for using some? The one who investigated the cases of innocent people in jail, or the one who helped put innocent people in jail?? The choice is yours to make. Regarding Mayor Adams, however, I will be honoured to have him serve as an advisor to my campaign, and I'd love to hear his advice. We will work together, as a team, to win the White House and move this country in the right direction!"

Loud cheers erupt.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2022, 12:46:51 PM »

COOPER AT RALLY IN NEW HAMPSHIRE UPON RECEIVING NOTE SAYING THAT ERIC ADAMS HAS JUST DROPPED OUT AND ENDORSED HIM:

"This just in, folks: Mayor Adams just dropped out and endorsed my presidential campaign. Well, first of all, I'd like to thank Mayor Adams for endorsing me. This means a great deal to me. And I think it means a great deal for the Democratic voters who will be casting their ballots in the upcoming primaries. Because though Eric and I had some differences, he had the right platform. He cared about, he listened to, the people. He was knowledgable about the issues, he was compassionate and caring, and he has important experience: he's served in the police, where he tackled police brutality and worked towards police reform, where he addressed racial profiling. And I think he realised which of the two remaining candidates - VP Harris and myself - shared those ideals, those goals, that vision. The candidate who's fought to fix the broken criminal justice system, or the one who's been a part of it, an enabler of it? Well, he made that choice, and now, so must each of his supporters. Mayor Adams ran a campaign centric on racial equality, police reform, criminal justice reform. So, will you support the candidate who worked to decriminalise marijuana, or the one who landed people in jail for using some? The one who investigated the cases of innocent people in jail, or the one who helped put innocent people in jail?? The choice is yours to make. Regarding Mayor Adams, however, I will be honoured to have him serve as an advisor to my campaign, and I'd love to hear his advice. We will work together, as a team, to win the White House and move this country in the right direction!"

Loud cheers erupt.

The Cooper Campaign makes Eric Adams a Senior Advisor to the campaign & Director of Criminal Justice Reform Policy. He also serves as Co-Chair of the campaign's Urban Department.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2022, 07:38:56 AM »

January 19-26

DeSantis, Adams Withdraw Ahead of Iowa; John Kerry 2024?

The race for President has received one final shakeup before the Iowa caucuses on the 22nd. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has withdrawn in order to focus on his duties as Governor, while New York City Mayor Eric Adams has withdrawn for similar reasons. While Adams has endorsed Roy Cooper, DeSantis has not endorsed either Trump or McMahon, but has simply made a plea for his supporters to 'vote their conscience' in the cming contests.

Another notable occurence recently has been information coming from another potential contender. Climate Envoy John Kerry, reportedly unhappy with the current field of candidates, is reportedly mulling a second attempt at the Oval Office. They have been tempered however, by the fact Kerry will be 80 by the time of any inauguration. Some have suggested that Kerry may in fact be simply running as an issues candidate with a focus on foreign policy and environmental issues as a result.

Elsewhere, Harris and Cooper have kept up the back and forth between themselves. The two candidates have sparred regularly over marijuana laws, commitment to liberal values, and electability. It remains to be seen if these arguments will sway the electorate as a whole, though Iowa is expected to be closer than previosuly predicted for the Democrats

Stop Corruption Now Act proposed 

Former Presidential candidate Tammy Baldwin has formally proposed the Stop Corruption Now Act to the Senate. The bill, which would create a Federal Integrity Commission and ban federal officials from becoming lobbyists for eight years after leaving office and from holding stock portfolios during their time in office, has received support from progressive warriors like Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, while some Republicans have criticised it as an attempt at political persecution.

Bernie Sanders: I Will Not Run Again

Senator Bernie Sanders announced on MSNBC on the 18th that he will not be seeking a third term in the US Senate, citing his advanced age and desire to retire from politics. Sanders notably said that he considers his goal to realign the Democratic Party to progressive goals largely achieved. Tributes to Sanders have been flowing in from politicians of all stripes.

Congresswoman Becca Balint is considered the likely frontrunner for the seat.

Notes:

-This turn, owing to the beginning of primary season, will last only a week. Because of that, I'm cutting the response time to 96 hurs, or four days. I can extend for up to 48 hours if required.

-The Iowa caucuses occur on the 22nd, and as such, coverage will begin in 36 hours. Adjust your schedules accordingly.

-As the primaries wear on, further more powerful endorsers will become available. Senators, Governors, and prominent Representatives will be more willing to throw their support behind you, but the most powerful ones, such as Senate and House leadership, will be waiting a little longer.

-In terms of what's happening now, the New Hampshire primary occurs on the 30th of January, and then the Nevada primary on the 6th of February. After that will be the first state of the race post. Again, make sure to pay attention to these.

-As with last turn, polls are coming in a separate post.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2022, 08:15:16 AM »

Polls

Democrats

Vice President Harris: 44.2%

Governor Cooper: 39.6%

Undecided: 16.2%

Iowa (final poll):

Vice President Harris: 42.6%

Governor Cooper: 39.8%

Undecided: 17.6%

New Hamsphire:

Vice President Harris: 40.6%

Governor Cooper: 38.5%

Undecided: 20.9%

Nevada

Vice President Harris: 44.5%

Governor Cooper: 35.7%

Undecided: 19.8%

South Carolina

Governor Cooper: 43.6%

Vice President Harris: 42.5%

Undecided: 13.9%

Republicans

Former President Trump: 57.2%%

Mr McMahon: 15.6%

Undecided: 27.8%%

Iowa:

Former President Trump: 54.3%

Mr McMahon: 17.8%

Undecided: 27.9%

New Hampshire:

Former President Trump: 59.6%

Mr McMahon: 13.7%

Undecided: 26.7%

Nevada

Former President Trump: 64.8%

Mr. McMahon: 9.4%

Undecided: 25.8%

South Carolina:

Former President Trump: 56.1%

Mr McMahon: 17.3%

Undecided: 26.6%

Upcoming Primaries:

Iowa Caucus, January 22 (this turn)

New Hampshire Primary, January 30 (next turn)

Nevada Primary, February 6

South Carolina Republican Primary, February 24

South Carolina Democratic Primary, March 2
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2022, 01:25:55 PM »

On December 18, Cooper arrives in Des Moines, Iowa. He attends a mega rally featuring State Atty. Gen. Tom Miller, local Mayor Frank Cownie, and NYC Mayor and former presidential contender Eric Adams. All three men give speeches in support of Cooper before Cooper himself takes the stage.

MILLER: "Iowa, this is a campaign about justice for all, and about a voice for all. While Kamala Harris has been visiting ultra-rich donors and attending $500 a plate fundraisers, where has Roy Cooper been? He's been right here, on the ground, in Iowa. He's attended town halls in counties from Woodbury to Worth, from Hamilton to Henry. He's personally visited all 99 counties, and unlike with Kamala Harris, it's taken him more than 3 days to do so. Because he cares about what you think. He's listened to young adults concerned about college, seniors concerned about the future of Medicare, and middle-aged people concerned about their jobs, about taxes, about the economy, about their futures. Kamala Harris thinks she can win the Iowa caucuses by pouring money into the state while sitting around in private jets going from one exclusive fundraiser to the next. Roy Cooper has what's apparently now an unorthodox strategy: he wants to meet with ordinary, working-class Iowans, to discuss their views, and their concerns. Now, Iowa must choose. Will it take a candidate who's been to busy at fundraisers to campaign personally in Iowa, to visit every corner of the state and not just the big cities - or will it take the candidate who, more than campaign resources, has invested thousands of hours into visiting each and every part of this great state? Will you choose the candidate who has forged a great bond with the people of Iowa, and who will not forget their concerns - or the candidate who has forged a great bond with multimillionaire donors and who will not forget their concerns? We've been taken for a ride by Trump and the Republicans, who preach populist rhetoric, but who are really all about tax cuts for the rich. We've been left behind by them, forgotten, ignored once they've won our votes. Let's not make that mistake with Kamala Harris. I cannot iterate it clearly enough: Roy Cooper is the candidate for Iowa, and Kamala Harris is the candidate for her donors! Iowa's concerns ARE Roy Cooper's concerns, and they WILL be Roy Cooper's concerns even in the White House. Iowa's concerns don't mean much to Kamala Harris beyond how they'll help her win the caucus. Once she's in the White House, she'll listen to coastal donors, and maybe she'll remember urban Iowa. But rural counties - counties like Howard and Worth and Monona and Mahaska and Lucas - will be left out, once again. We have a chance to break that cycle with Roy Cooper. To make HIM our nominee. And that is why I urge you all, implore you all, to vote for Roy Cooper in the caucuses in three days."

ADAMS: "...Roy Cooper and I traded some barbs during the campaign, I'll admit that. But I trust Roy. I know his intentions are genuine, are earnest: he genuinely cares about Iowa, about working-class people of all races and all backgrounds. He wants to serve them in the White House. Kamala Harris was quick to do whatever proved politically expedient - complimenting me one turn, lambasting me the next, going as low as to attack Roy Cooper's home state. She is, I've found, just another career politician, an establishmentarian who will do as much for Iowa as Trump has done: nothing. She has no deep-seated convictions or values, and I was and remain horrified by her record of locking up people - disproportionately African-Americans - on marijuana charges. She pretends to want to fix the broken criminal justice system, but really, she's been a part of it, she has been one its foot soldiers as DA. Roy Cooper, though he's also not perfect, is much more consistent, and I have faith in his core principles. I believe that as president, he will address police brutality and police reform. I'm not so sure Kamala Harris, who declined as AG in California to investigate the police shooting two black men, will do the same if she doesn't think it's politically convenient. And that's why I endorsed Roy Cooper, and urge you all to do the same. I know he is genuine about addressing police reform and police brutality, about addressing the concerns of Iowa as president, and is not just doing it to win your vote."

COOPER: "I'll give you an example of Kamala Harris flip-flopping, of lacking core principles. As DA, she declined to use the death penalty against a man who killed a member of the San Francisco PD. Senator Dianne Feinstein criticized Harris for this decision. And you know what? If Kamala Harris was morally, principally opposed to the death penalty, I would respect that. But as California's AG, Harris decided to oppose two ballot initiatives to abolish the death penalty, deciding it was no longer politically expedient for her. You want another example? Kamala Harris said at a town hall while running for president she'd support abolishing private healthcare, but then denied she ever said that, when she realised it wasn't as popular a position as she thought it was. Kamala Harris threw people in jail on marijuana charges. She is a part of, an enabler of, the broken criminal justice system. She won't fight the system that helped build her political career. She might say that right now, but when she's president, nothing will happen to address police brutality or criminal justice reform. Because right now, it's politically expedient for her to spend a little time in Iowa, dump some cash into the state, win the caucus. It's political expedient for her to masquerade as a progressive, antiestablishment warrior, despite the fact that she's part of broken, establishment Washington culture. But in the White House, she'll have different interests and won't care about what Iowa thinks or what Iowans told her. Kamala Harris is a chameleon and selecting her as our nominee would be a terrible, terrible mistake. I truly hope that Eric Adams' supporters will see through her empty words and take a good look at her record. If they do, they'll know better than to support her. Eric has from the beginning tried to fix the broken criminal justice system and has fought to address police brutality. Kamala Harris has been a part of that same broken criminal justice system from the very beginning. And I truly hope that Iowa Democrats will reject her and her false promises, in favour of the mantle of police and criminal justice reform, in favour of having a truly ally and advocate in the White House."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2022, 01:36:42 PM »

Continuing on that theme, Cooper goes on to a town hall to answer questions about criminal justice reform. He attacks Harris' record and points to his own.

"Kamala Harris refused to investigate the police shooting of two black men. She's locked up thousands of people on marijuana convictions. Meanwhile, back in North Carolina, I fought to decriminalise medical marijuana. And when I was AG, I looked to the example of Tom Miller and did what was right. We had a man named Gregory Taylor. He spent 17 years in jail for a crime he did not commit. I investigated, I got the bottom of the prosecutorial misconduct, of the suppression of evidence. And we freed that innocent man, and we looked at the cases of hundreds of other people who had been sentenced to jail because of suppression of evidence. Tragically, three of those people had already been executed. They may well have been innocent. That incident reinforced my deeply-held conviction that the death penalty is immoral and is too dangerous to be used, because too often, it takes the lives of the innocent. Kamala Harris also claims to oppose the death penalty, and when a man killed a police officer in San Francisco, she refused to sentence him to to the death penalty, to the chagrin of Senator Dianne Feinstein. Don't get me wrong: if she morally, principally oppose the death penalty the way I do, I would applaud that choice. But then, when she was AG in California, she decided it wasn't politically convenient to oppose the death penalty, and opposed two propositions to abolish it. So you tell me. When we're talking about criminal justice reform, are we looking for the candidate who's locked up people for marijuana convictions, who has flip-flopped on the death penalty and who as AG declined to investigate police shootings - or are we looking for the candidate who decriminalised medical marijuana in his state, who has consistently been against the death penalty, and who as AG launched an investigation into evidence suppression and prosecutorial misconduct? Are we looking for a prosector who's locked up innocent people, or someone who's investigated prosecutors who locked up innocent people? Kamala Harris has gotten away with lying about her political positions for far, far too long. It's time we called her out on it and exposed her for what she truly is: a flip-flopper without any deep-seated convictions."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2022, 01:38:15 PM »

Ads air taking in excerpts of Cooper's and Adams' comments on criminal justice reform, and these are aired across the state.

An aid is also aired taking in excerpts of Tom Miller's comments.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2022, 01:51:29 PM »

December 19: Cooper heads over to Columbia, South Carolina. "Eric Adams endorsed me for a reason. He knows I've been a consistent fighter for police reform and criminal justice reform. And he knows that Kamala Harris has been anything but consistent on it." He brings up the same points as in Des Moines: Harris' flip-flopping on the death penalty, the marijuana convictions, the refusal to investigate the shootings of two black men; and Cooper's massive, large-scale investigation into evidence suppression and his campaign as AG to free innocent people sent to jail as a result of prosecutorial misconduct. "Criminal justice reform, police reform, matter a great deal. We cannot afford to compromise or equivocate on this issue the way Kamala Harris has all her career. That's why Eric Adams endorsed me, and I ask all of you to vote for me in the March 2nd primaries."

An ad is also made compiling the essence of Cooper's contrast between himself and Harris, and his line about compromise/equivocation, and it is aired in New Hampshire, South Carolina, Nevada and Iowa.

Cooper then flies to Manchester, where he arrives on the early morning of December 20. At a rally, he hits, once again, on those same themes. He spends the rest of the day at town halls and rallies in Hillsborough County, before boarding a night flight back to Iowa.

On December 21, he arrives in Davenport. After zooming to all of eastern Iowa's big cities (Dubuque, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo), he comes back to Davenport. He gives a moving address about his own career where, for a change, he refrains from slamming Harris, and concludes with the words: "Well, this is it, Iowa. It is incumbent upon all of you to make the right choice for this party, for this nation. We need to choose between reform and change versus more of the same, between principles and values versus more equivocation and flip-flopping. We need to choose between genuine promises meant to change this nation versus empty words meant to win votes."

On December 22, Cooper is in Iowa City with his wife, Kristin, as the couple wait for the caucus results to trickle in. They have both a concession and a victory speech, and they already have chairs and a podium set up in a gym for a post-caucus speech where Cooper will address his supporters. There is electricity in the air.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2022, 07:41:36 AM »

2024 Iowa caucuses

Maddow: Good evening and welcome to MSNBC's liver coverage of the 2024 Iowa caucuses. We have two open races for the nominations this year, and the crusade for the White House well and truly begins tonight. Joining me tonight is Joy Reid, Chris Hayes, and Nicole Wallace with Steve Kornacki, as usual, on the board for us. Steve, we'll go to you first. The Democratic ontest could be unusually tight tonight.

Kornacki: That's absolutely right Rachel. A week ago, it looked like Kamala Harris had this in the bag for the Democrats, but with recent developments on the Democratic side, she is facing a strong challenge from North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, recently endorsed by Eric Adams. Cooper has been running an energetic campaign, and recent polls are indicating a very close night, but as we remember from 2020, the polls could have this wrong, particularly with that large, seemingly untapped progressive crowd.

Hayes: Am I right in saying that we culd be expecting a bit of a blowout in the Republican caucuses, Steve?

Kornacki: More or less. Governor DeSantis was the only real challenger to Donald Trump, and with his withdrawal, there's little doubt that Trump's in the box seat. Vince McMahon has been running an energetic campaign but unlike Cooper on the Democratic ide, he has been unable to gain mcuh traction.

Wallace: Something even more bizarre I've found is that a lot of establishment figures are viewing Trump quite favourably this time around. That could be because they have McMahon in comparison, but I'm not so sure.

Reid: What we should understand is that McMahon is running this campaign like a WrestleMania promo. He's treating it as publicity, to the extent where Donald Trump can freely describe him as a total disgrace.

Hayes: I think the other story is that we expected Kamala Harris to walk away with the nomination in hand. She's the sitting Vice President after all, but I think that brief time where everyone was unsure if she was still running has really harmed her campaign, and some Democrats are reportedly saying that they fear she may not be able to defeat Donald Trump in a general election.

Maddow: All to play for here tonight then. 40 delegates up for grabs for the Democrats; 38 for the Republicans. Remember, the magic number needed to clinch the nomination for the Democrats is 2,266, the magic number for the Republicans is 1,217. With that in mind, we'll take a look at some early results

Democratic Iowa caucuses (40 delegates) - <1% reporting

VP Harris: 53.1%

Gov. Cooper: 46.9%

Republican Iowa cacuses (38 delegates) - <1% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 65.3%

Mr McMahon: 35.7%

Maddow: Steve, what can these early results tell us?

Kornacki: I'll be honest Rachel, not a heck of a lot. Trump is obviously pulling in very strong early returns and we expect them to either get stronger or stay about the same. These early returns are also suggesting a tight contest on the Democratic side, but again, how those Sanders and Warren supporters from 2020 break could decide who wins tonight. Early days yet though, and this is all subject to change.

Maddow: Thank you Steve. We'll be right back after this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2022, 09:54:59 AM »

2024 Iowa caucuses

Maddow: The night goes on and the Iowa caucuses are well underway. Currently Kamala Harris and Roy Cooper are locked in a close fight on the Democratic wide, while Donald Trump is reportedly close to victory for the Republicans. Joy, you interviewed Governor Cooper not that long ago, are you surprised that he's doing this well?

Reid: No, actually. Governor Cooper has hedged his entire campaign on appeals to the progressive wing of the party, particularly on climate change and marijuana, but what remains to be seen is that if he's successfully cut through to them.

Hayes: As I said earlier, the impression was that Harris was going to walk away with this without much trouble, but given that we still haven't called Iowa, I think it's safe to say that she's going to be in for a long fight with Cooper.

Wallace: This might be the chickens coming home to roost. We're all aware that Harris has had significant issues with her staff at One Observatory Circle, including some significant resignations. I think Governor Cooper has a real chance to secure this thing.

Maddow: Hold that thought Nicole, I think Steve has a call to make.

Kornacki: Indeed I do Rachel. Donald Trump will win the Republican Iowa caucuses. Not much of a surprise there; what remains to be seen is how big his victory is going to be.

Democratic Iowa caucuses (40 delegates) - 25% reporting

VP Harris: 52.8%

Gov. Cooper: 47.2%

Republican Iowa cacuses (38 delegates) - 25% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 66.9%

Mr McMahon: 33.1%

Maddow: Well you heard it hear first. MSNBC is projecting that Donald Trump will win the Republican Iowa caucuses, easily dispatching Vince McMahon. Steve, any insights on the Democraitc caucuses?

Kornacki: Well Harris is still in the lead, but that hasn't grown by any real amount. We've been talking about the downsides for Harris with it being this close; the good signs for her is that from these numbers, progressives were seemingly scared off Cooper after the Adams endorsement. As we know, Eric Adams has not gotten along well with progressives, particularly criminal justice reform and black lives matter types, and on these numbers, it seems that progressive to an extent were scared away from Cooper.

Hayes: That's one thing I'm noticing as well; Coper has made a lot of overtures to the progressive wing lately, but a lot of them were and indeed are looking at the Adams endorsement and maybe looking reluctantly to Harris. I would qualify that though by saying that progressive support is malleable at this point.

Wallace: I'm inclined to agree. As far as the Republicans go, think we need to accept that Donald Trump will be their nominee again. He's not facing a credible challenger and as you said Joy, is treating this as seemingly publicity for his wrestling business.

Joy: Well it's not hs business anymore, but yes, he is treating it like some sort of promo for it. Sure, it might play well with people who want to be riled up, but the problem is that he's up against a powerful candidate in Donald Trump, who also excels at riling people up. This Republican primary might not be as close as it is for the Democrats, but it's probably going to get far dirtier.

Maddow: We'll be back after this.
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2022, 10:16:59 AM »

UPDATE FROM HARRIS HQ

The doors have just recently opened for supporters at Harris HQ in Des Moines and many are just beginning to trickle in, tonight speeches will be heard from the Second Gentleman and the Vice President only due to the severe closeness of the race in Iowa.

Vice President Harris will be in a hotel about 10 minute away from her HQ with family and staff analyzing the results, due to a pre-planned agreement made between the Cooper and Harris campaign any concession call on the race will be made 15 minutes after the networks call it.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2022, 11:08:21 AM »

2024 Iowa caucuses

Maddow: The votes are continuing to come in as the night goes on. Donald Trump has won a resounding victory in the Republican caucuses, but Kamala Harris and Roy Cooper are locked in a close fight on the Democratic side. Chris, even if he loses tonight, Roy Cooper will be in a good position regardless, right?

Hayes: Well, when you're running as a sitting VP, you expect to have a bit of an easier ride through the primaries. We might be seeing a reply of the 1988 Republican primary where Bob Dole gave George Bush an almighty scare, but at the same time, I think Cooper is a stronger candidate now than Bob Dole in 1988. To be honest, even if Cooper loses, if he can keep that margin under ten points or even five, then that's very good news for him.

Wallace: I agree. Especially since we're in Iowa; Cooper's path to the nominatin, most wuld think, lies through winning in the south. If he's running this well in a midwestern state, then it is possible that he could even beat Harris. Somehow I think this going to last beyond Super Tuesday.

Maddow: Steve, you would agree with that?

Kornacki: Well again, these are early days. Iowa's just one part of the whole equation, and there's a possibility that Harris will be able to pull it back when the primary moves to more favourable ground for her out west. In the end though, I agree with Nicole. Given the results we're seeing so far, there is no way this Democratic nomination is getting sorted out on Super Tuesday.

Maddow: And we still can't make a call for the Democrats?

Kornacki: At this stage, there's a narrative emerging that Harris is maintaining a slender lead, but I'm still not confident enough to call it. For now, the numbers are staying relatively static though

Democratic Iowa caucuses (40 delegates) - 50% reporting

VP Harris: 52.9%

Gov. Cooper: 47.1%

Republican Iowa cacuses (38 delegates) - 50% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 66.7%

Mr McMahon: 33.3%

Reid: I think on those numbers, Harris pulls out Iowa, but considering she's the sitting VP, it's not a good sign. Chris said it; she should've been able to win this easily and beat back Roy Cooper without much difficulty. It's bringing back some memories of 2016 for me if I'm being honest.

Maddow: Well, the night goes on. We'll take a break for now though, but we'll be back with more analysis after this.

(note: it's 1:30 AM and I need to sleep. Will finish coverage in the morning. Feel free to make statements or speeches till you're happy)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2022, 02:17:44 PM »

COOPER IN IOWA CITY: "Well, folks, the results are indicating a tight, tight race right here. Really looks like we could win this thing, but we'll have to see. If I win, though, it will not just be a win for me. It will also be a win for my hardworking, diligent and dedicated campaign workers and volunteers, my devoted and enthusiastic supporters. Above all else, it will be a win for the progressives of Iowa and of this nation. We will have rejected more of the same, more equivocation and flip-flopping, in favour of real progress, real change. Kamala Harris has experience, sure - but she has experience in flip-flopping, in locking up people for having marijuana. She has experience in the broken criminal justice system. She has experience in Washington, where things are still at a standstill. She has experience in alienating the voters and having twenty-something approval ratings. I may not have as much overall experience as VP Harris, but what experience do I have? I have experience uniting people and winning tough races. I have experience in fighting for reform of our criminal justice system, so it works the way it's supposed to. I have experience in fighting for justice for innocent people in jail. I have experience championing the legalisation of marijuana. Tonight, Democrats all across Iowa are deciding which experience counts, which experience matters more to them, which experience we want for ourselves in the White House. It's looking like a tight race, and Kamala Harris may very well pull this off, but we're not done here. Our movement has only just begun, whether we win or we lose tonight. Campaigns for justice, for fairness, for equality, for reform, are never easy, nor are campaigns against broken institutions and the establishment. But we've worked together, and we will work together, to make this campaign win!"

Loud cheers erupt from campaign staff, and for those not present in Iowa City, the speech is being live-streamed on YouTube - so Cooper's supporters "from Sioux City to South Carolina" can hear what he has to say.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2022, 06:24:14 PM »

2024 Iowa caucuses

Maddow: Well it's getting close to midnight in the east and we are still unable to project the winner of the Democratic Iowa caucuses. Vice president Harris is looking increasingly likely to eke out a narrow victory over Roy Cooper. For more, we got to Steve Kornacki. Steve?

Kornacki: Thanks Rachel. At this stage, it is fair to say that Roy Cooper's path to victory is narrowing, but not gone entirely just yet. The problem is that even though he's running well almost everywhere, he's not running well enough to overtake Harris. That lead of Harris's has remained fairly static throughout most of the night, and though it has taken a slight dent, it's getting increasingly likely that she wins tonight. Not ready to call it just yet, but I am getting increasingly confident that we can make a projection soon.

Democratic Iowa caucuses (40 delegates) - 75% reporting

VP Harris: 52.7%

Gov. Cooper: 47.3%

Republican Iowa cacuses (38 delegates) - 75% reporting

Fmr Pres. Trump: 67.1%

Mr McMahon: 32.9%

Maddow: Thanks Steve. I'll go to our panel for some thoughts.

Reid: I know we're talking about the Democratic contest a lot tonight, but the Repblican one has been interesting for me. McMahon managed to outperform the polls by a significant margin. I mean, he had no chance of winning, but the fact he amanged to win over 30% of the vote is . . . just astounding to me. Not enough to make problems for Donald Trump in the future, but still, astounding.

Hayes: I'm inclined to agree, especially since he doesn't seem to be taking the whole thing seriously. Switching back to the Democrats, I think that even if Harris pulls this off, she's damaged as a candidate. She's gonna have to fight hard to win this thing, and we might be seeing a replay of 2016, as Joy said.

Maddow: I don't think it's controverisal to say that Cooper's been running aggressive campaign lately either. Harris has engaged in the back and forth but not really launched these major attacks we've been seeing from the Cooper camp. Cooper may end up pulling off an upset in the end, but will the cost be too high?

Wallace: I'm not even sure Roy Cooper himself has an answer for that.

Maddow: We'll be back right after this.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies