2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:58:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: 2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 10541 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2022, 02:26:56 PM »

On the 24th, Cooper first hosts a town hall in Salem, then continues heading eastward, through Atkinson and Plaistow, before turning northeast and going through Kingston and Brentwood. The next town hall is held in Exeter. He spends the evening at a guesthouse in Exeter.

Come the 25th, Cooper rises early to head through Stratham (where he holds a brief rally) and Greenland, before arriving in Portsmouth. In Portsmouth, he holds a town hall. The big highlight is when he defends his record on climate change. A voter says: "Governor Cooper, I live right here on the coast, and if global warming gets severe and the ice caps melt, the entire coast of New Hampshire will go underwater. So climate change is my number one priority. I supported you because I thought you were a leader in combatting climate change, but Secretary Kerry's attacks are making me wonder if I should support him instead, and if he has a better record on climate change. Could you tell me why your record on climate change is stronger than Secretary Kerry's?"

Cooper's reply (which is also uploaded to his YouTube channel, and excerpts of which are aired in the Boston media market as an ad to refute Kerry's attacks that Cooper is weak on climate change):

"What you really need to look at is my record on oil and gas, which is very clear. Yes, I accepted oil and gas money and hired an oil and gas lobbyist to oversee my legislative agenda. However, I did not for one minute waver from my environmentalist convictions. You don't need to take my word for it - just take a look at my record.

Back in 2017, I vocally opposed President Trump in his efforts to bring offshore drilling to North Carolina's coast: "It's clear that opening North Carolina's coast to oil and gas exploration and drilling would bring unacceptable risks to our economy, our environment, and our coastal communities--and for little potential gain. As Governor, I'm here to speak out and take action against it. I can sum it up in four words: not off our coast." Does that sound like a pro-oil or pro-fossil fuel stance?

This is what I said in 2020: "It's good the President finally appears to have listened to the bipartisan voices of North Carolinians who for years have been fighting this administration to stop oil drilling off our coast." I also said this: "North Carolina has been clear, we do not want...the damage from offshore drilling that could follow. The studies of our waters show little prospect for drilling, and the environmental damage to our coast could be irreparable if seismic testing goes forward."

It's not just words, either - my administration has taken action. I signed a 2017 bill, HB 589, which took a strong stand in favour of solar energy. In 2018, I issued Executive Order 80, whose aim was to lessen the impact of natural disasters like Hurricane Florence. It pledged to reduce greenhouse emissions by 40% from their 2005 levels, by 2025. It also laid out a plan to put 80,000 electric-powered vehicles on North Carolina's roads by 2025.

In 2022, I issued Executive Order 246, which took steps for North Carolina to meet its net-zero greenhouse gas emissions plan, to also achieve our goal to have greenhouse gas emissions reduced by 50% from 2005 to 2030. I've testified before Congress on the disastrous effects of climate change. The state's Department of Transportation, during my administration, has proposed large tax credits for electric vehicles, and made plans to build electric vehicle charging stations across the state.

Those are only a few examples. If John Kerry or Democratic voters want more instances of my unequivocal support of the environment, and opposition to offshore drilling and fossil fuels, I'll gladly provide them. Because Kerry is absolutely correct: we cannot afford any equivocation or mixed signals on this monumental issue."

From Portsmouth, Cooper quickly departs west, heading towards Manchester. Here, he holds a fundraiser with Chris Pappas, who discusses, among other things, electability and the importance of defeating Republicans. He also has a solo town hall in Manchester, and a rally with State Sens. Donna Soucy and Lou D'Allesandro, both Manchesterites.

On the 26th, Cooper holds quick town halls in Hooksett and Bow before arriving in the State Capitol of New Hampshire. Here, he holds a Grand Finale - all 11 endorsees of Cooper in New Hampshire (the 10 Democrats in the State Senate, as well as U.S. Rep. Pappas) give speeches (the state senators' speeches are roughly 5 minutes apiece, while Pappas is allocated 10 minutes) give rousing speeches in support of the candidate, followed by a brief address by Cooper himself. Cooper heads out to Hopkinton for a town ahll, before heading through Warner and Sutton on his way to another town hall in New London. From New London, it's Springfield, Grantham and Plainfield. From Plainfield, Cooper heads up north, along the Vermont border - with three town halls: in Lebanon, Hanover and Lyme. He spends the evening in a campaign bus in Lyme.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2022, 08:09:13 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2022, 11:51:00 AM by CentristRepublican »

COOPER ON THE DEATH OF JIMMY CARTER:

"I was greatly saddened when I learned of Jimmy Carter's death today. President Carter served as a beacon of good, of humanity, and of selflessness, during his life - both in his political career, where, among other things, he was a champion for civil rights as Governor of Georgia, and the humanitarianism that followed. He was a tireless fighter who dedicated his long retirement not to himself or his family - but to the people of this world, helping to feed those who were hungry, helping to unify those who were divided. Today, upon his death, the United States, and in fact, the entire world, lost a great man and a great leader. There are many things to learn from Jimmy Carter and much to be inspired by. President Carter has inspired, and now his memory shall inspire, others to follow his example and strive towards goodness and helping other people. My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time."

(Cooper also confirms that he will be attending President Carter's funeral on February 1.)

STATEMENT FROM COOPER ON VIOLENCE AT AOC RALLY:

"I was horrified when I heard about the recent assassination attempt at a rally for Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Unfortunately, I was not quite as shocked as I should have been. We have seen many instances of the far-right resorting to violence against their political enemies, often with fatal results. I think of Charlottesville, where white supremacists and neo-Nazis rioted and killed a counter protestor - where our president at the time said there were very fine people on both sides. I think of January 6, where a far-right mob, fed utter lies and conspiracy theories, stormed the Capitol - a first of its kind since the War of 1812 - breached the Capitol, endangered lawmakers. An act of violence instigated and propagated by Donald Trump and his ilk of far-right Republican lawmakers such as Josh Hawley and Mo Brooks. I thank God that in this case, the would-be assailant was stopped in his tracks by law enforcement and that Representative Ocasio-Cortez and the attendees of the rally were all unharmed. We must stand firm and hold our ground in the face of far-right resistance. They might try to be violent, but we will defeat them at the ballot box and we will not ever back down from our convictions and our - American - values."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2022, 11:45:19 AM »

John Kerry Statements on Recent Events

On Jimmy Carter: I am incredibly saddened to learn of the passing of President James Earl Carter. This was a man who exemplified the universal human principles of love and kindness, plain and simple. Jimmy Carter was also a president far ahead of his time. He was prescient in warning Americans about the pending energy crisis and our need for unity within our communities. I can say I have had the great fortune of knowing President Carter and collaborating with him across the world, whether it is Israel-Palestine, Sudan, or North Korea. President Carter was not only a strong man of faith--he inspired faith in millions worldwide that there can be peace in our times. My full condolences go to the Carter family, and may God bless him for all he has done on this earth.

On Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: This attempt on Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez's life is not just revolting. This is sadly a reflection of the incendiary rhetoric that leaders like Donald Trump have fostered on the right time and time again. The would-be assassin is a self-described Christian nationalist, and I fear we are seeing unprecedented coordination by these folks and other far-right militias. They know the weaknesses of many states' gun laws and will exploit them. They know they have willing allies in many Republican officials who will turn the other way or even shield them legally. How can we stand here today and think that this will be the only attempt this election, or that the next attempt won't be successful?

As President, I will not tolerate this. America must confront its demons and stamp out extremists who only know violence as an answer. The marvelous work of the January 6th Commission must be built upon to hold all those who divide and maim our national fabric accountable. I am very relieved that the Congresswoman is okay, and she will share her side of the story when the time is right for her. For now, we must let law enforcement get to the bottom of this and we must put Washington's feet to the fire this November.

Secretary Kerry shall attend the funeral of President Jimmy Carter on February 1st. This will be Secretary Kerry's only public event for the day as he will abstain from campaigning out of respect. The campaign requests that all other candidates follow suit in this decision.

The Cooper Campaign also will not be doing any campaigning on February 1, and the only event attended by Roy Cooper will be the funeral of President Carter.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2022, 11:48:06 AM »

LIST OF ENDORSEMENTS FOR ROY COOPER

Louisiana
Former New Orleans Mayor & gubernatorial candidate MITCH LANDRIEU
State Senator CLEO FIELDS
State Senator JOSEPH BOUIE, JR
State Senator JOSEPH LUNEAU
State Senator GARY L. SMITH
State Senator GERALD BOUDREAUX
Former State Senator & Former Chair of the Louisiana Democratic Party KAREN CARTER PETERSON
New Orleans Mayor LaTOYA CANTRELL

South Carolina
State Senate Minority Leader BRAD HUTTO
State Senator KARL B. ALLEN
State Senator & Chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party DICK HARPOOTLIAN
Charleston Mayor JOHN TECKLENBURG
State Senator GERALD MALLOY
State Senator KENT WILLIAMS
Allendale County Councillor WILLIAM ROBINSON
Allendale County Councillor THERESA TAYLOR
Charleston County Councillor HENRY DARBY
Charleston County Councillor TEDDY PRYOR
Charleston County Councillor KYLON J. MIDDLETON
Charleston County Councillor ANNE JOHNSON
Greenville City Councillor LILLIAN BROCK-FLEMING
Bamberg Mayor NANCY FOSTER
Bamberg County Councillor SHARON HAMMOND
Bamberg County Councillor LARRY HAYNES
Bamberg County Councillor JONATHAN GOODMAN
Bamberg County Councillor SPENCER DONALDSON
Bishopville City Councillor ENNIS BRYANT, SR.
Fairfield County Councillor SHIRLEY GREENE
Fairfield County Councillor TIMOTHY ROSEBOROUGH

New Hampshire
US Representative CHRIS PAPPAS
All 10 Democratic state senators (Tom Sherman, Cindy Rosenwald, Jay Kahn, Suzanne Prentiss, Rebecca Kwoka, Kevin Cavanaugh, Lou D'Allesandro, Becky Whitley, Donna Soucy, David Watters)

Iowa
State Attorney General TOM MILLER
Des Moines Mayor FRANK COWNIE
Iowa City Mayor BRUCE TEAGUE
Dubuque Mayor BRAD M. CAVANAGH
State Senate Minority Leader ZACH WAHLS
State Senator TODD TAYLOR
State Senator JACKIE SMITH
State Senator AMANDA RAGAN
State Representative & former Minority Leader TODD PRICHARD
State Representative CHRIS HALL
State Representative STEVE HANSEN
State Representative CHARLIE McCONKEY
State Representative SHARON SUE STECKMAN
State Representative & Chair of the Iowa Democratic Party ROSS WILLBURN
State House Minority Leader JENNIFER KONFRST

Nevada
US Representative SUSIE LEE
US Representative DINA TITUS
State Assemblywoman DANIELE MONROE-MORENO
State Assemblywoman SARAH PETERS

Other States (CO, CA, TX)
Congressman Collin Allred (D-Dallas)
Congresswoman Lizzie P. Fletcher (D-Houston)
Congressman Lloyd Doggett (D-Austin)
Austin Mayor Steve Adler (D-Austin)
Former HUD Secretary and San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro (D-San Antonio)
Congresswoman Diana DeGette (D-Denver)
Congressman Eric Swalwell (D-Dublin, CA)
Congressman Mark DeSaulnier (D-Concord, CA)

UPDATE: New endorsements for Cooper -

Congresswoman Veronica Escobar of Texas' 16th district (El Paso)
Congressman Joaquin Castro of Texas' 20th district (San Antonio)
Governor Jared Polis of Colorado
Senator Michael Bennet of Colorado
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2022, 03:21:23 PM »

Cooper: Hello and welcome everyone to tonight's Democratic debate, coming live from Paris Las Vegas in Nevada. I'm your moderator Anderson Cooper. Tonight's debate will be feature question around a variety of policy areas such as the economy, foreign policy, and healthcare. Now, let's welcome our candidates. Governor Roy Cooper, Vice President Kamala Harris, and former Secretary of State John Kerry.  Of course, tonight's debate is being held in the shadows of the retirement of Senator Sanders and of course, the passing of President Jimmy Carter. Before we get into questioning, I invite each of you to say a few words about these two men.

COOPER: "First of all, Anderson, I'd like to thank you for moderating this debate, as well as the Paris Las Vegas and the city of Las Vegas, and most importantly, those who are taking the time to watch this debate, whether at home or right here. Now, as to Jimmy Carter and Bernie Sanders.

Jimmy Carter was a great human being. From his early days growing up in the Deep South in the 1920s and 1930s, he saw the evil of segregation and wanted to fight for justice and equality. During World War II, he served his country's navy. As governor of Georgia, he challenged the ideas of a segregationist governor, Lester Maddox. When he succeeded Maddox as governor, he fought for the end of segregation, and was a staunch backer of civil rights for African-Americans. He was a humble man, a peanut farmer whose ideas regarding justice and equality had led him to public service. He saw the wrong of segregation and wanted to make it right. He saw wrong, and fought to make it right. That aptly sums up his life, not just in politics, where he negotiated the Camp David Accords as president and fought for racial equality as governor, but after politics, too. While most politicians, and most people, savour their retirement for themselves and their families, President Carter selflessly dedicated his retirement towards helping humanity. Whether it was through international diplomacy and negotiation, through his role in rebuilding homes after Hurricane Sandy and helping the victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, or through his great work with the Carter Center to fight for justice and human rights and against suffering. Among other things, the Carter Center practically eradicated Guinea Worm Disease, working with the WHO to reduce cases from 3.5 million in the mid-1980s to 25 in 2016. Richard Nixon, wrong as he was on so many other things, was right when he said: "The greatest honor history can bestow is that of peacemaker." Such an honour is more than appropriate for Jimmy Carter. He was an inspiration for all, and someone whose wisdom, guidance and leadership will be much missed.

As for Bernie Sanders, Bernie has a great vision for what America can become if the bottom 99% can unite and fight for their fair share. He's always been the underdog, whether in his campaign for Mayor of Burlington, or when he ran for Congress in 1990. Before winning the mayorship of Burlington in a squeaker, he waged several unsuccessful campaigns for Senate and Governor. He never gave up. He ran issue-oriented campaigns and created coalitions that united the people of Vermont. As Mayor of Burlington, he fought for reform and change, opposed by both Republicans and moderate Democrats. He won his seat to the House in 1990 and his seat in the Senate in 2006. He has, altogether, spent 34 years in Congress. In all those 34 years, he has always stood by his principles, which sometimes made a lonely club. He has opposed the Iraq War strongly, has fought for a higher minimum wage and protection of American workers. He has fought for less tax breaks for the ultra-rich, and less government funding for the military-industrial complex, and more money to help ordinary, middle- and lower-class Americans and their children. He has faced strong opposition in his advocacy for universal healthcare, paid leave, a higher and more humane minimum wage, school lunch programs, campaign finance reform, criminal justice reform, and the Green New Deal. He has not been afraid to call out self-serving politicians for their hypocrisy and their abandonment of the ordinary, working man, in favour of their donors. Now, with his retirement, a valuable, an essential, advocate for all those values will be lost from Congress. Bernie's struggle is far from over. It is a struggle of generations, a struggle to change a nation. Just the same way his struggle to change Burlington and then Vermont was by no means easy, the fight to change a nation, for the betterment of future generations, will be no easy fight. But, and I'm certain Bernie agrees with this sentiment, if we come together, it is a fight we can definitely win."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2022, 03:14:17 PM »

In recent times, the Democratic Party has begun concerted efforts to push towards universal healthcare, primarily based on the single-payer model. Would you advocate for and sign a bill creating a single-payer system in the United States?

COOPER: "Of course I would, Anderson. Here's the only thing. Cooper-to-Cooper, I'm not sure we'll realistically have the votes to get a single-payer system. I would obviously advocate strongly for single-payer, and if such a bill comes to my desk, it would be my honour to sign it into law, but speaking realistically, I'm not sure it's feasible. In the sense that I fear some Democrats may think this goes too far. I obviously disagree with those Democrats and think that we need to go this far, and we need to ensure healthcare for everybody, but unless we can get solid majorities in both Houses, my fear is we may not have the necessary votes, in the House and Senate. We also need to be wary of Republicans in the Senate filibustering this bill. They've done it many times before, as we all are well aware. They are obstructionists who are bent on impeding necessary progress in order to please their mega rich donors. So, if we are able to get the solid majorities in Congress and we are able to get this bill through Congress, I would 100% sign it into law. But, frankly, my fear is that it might not happen. If it does not, I'm willing to take a smaller step forward, too. If, say, a less powerful and impactful bill makes its way to my desk, I'll happily sign that, too. Ideally, we should shoot for single-payer healthcare, but I recognise the very real limits of what might be achieved. If we can get big majorities in Congress, that'll be great and we may actually be able to get single-payer healthcare, but if we don't, don't think that's all-or-nothing or that there won't be any progress at all. If we can't get single-payer healthcare, we can compromise and go as far as we can with the votes that we have. That said, I'm going to enter the White House with the mindset of passing single-payer healthcare, and I promise you and those listening that I will fight my hardest for single-payer healthcare. Any less impactful or far-reaching bill will be a last resort, if and only if we do not have the votes for single-payer healthcare. But yes, this White House will vigorously support single-payer and should a bill implementing single-payer healthcare reach my desk, I would most certainly sign it."

Recently, the Sevastopol Treaty, which allowed Ukraine to join NATO in exchange for surrendering the Donbass region, was signed. Normally, the process of accession to NATO would take some time, but President Zelensky has asked for Ukraine's candidacy to be accelerated. Would you support an accelerated timetable for Ukrainian accession to NATO at the risk of agitating Russia?

COOPER: "Oh, absolutely. America will 100% support an accelerated path to have Ukraine join NATO. We need not fear Russia. We're not going to forever walk around them or cater to their every demand. Maybe that's how Trump and his Russophile Republicans would do it, but it's not how a Cooper White House will handle it. Just as VP Harris and Envoy Kerry also said, America must give unequivocal support to Ukraine in this effort. We aren't going to leave our ally behind to appease Russia. In fact, this is non-negotiable."

Under President Biden, the economy has suffered notable fluctuations, most visibly felt by people through gas prices. How would you as President, manage our energy transition away from fossil fuels to renewable energy, while also lowering gas prices and keeping our energy grid running at full capacity?

COOPER: "This crisis has well demonstrated the fallibility of our present energy policy. Now let me elaborate on that. We are getting our energy, dirty, fossil fuel energy, from other countries. We still buy a lot of oil from up in Canada, which believe it or not is the country exporting the most energy to the US.  And we were getting it from Russia. Then Russia invaded Ukraine, as we all are well aware, and President Biden rightfully imposed sanctions and embargoes on Russia along with many other countries. This included an embargo on Russian oil. However, we still needed to get oil from somewhere. The result was humiliating. President Biden had to go to Saudi Arabia and ask the brutal House of Saud to give us oil. This was a brutal monarchy we had decided not to take oil from until it improved its record on human rights and women's rights. We had to back away from that promise so that we could get oil, because oil is the form of energy we as a country are heavily dependent upon.

We need to get energy independence, so that we aren't relying on nations such as Russia and Iran and Saudi Arabia for our energy needs. And no, contrary to what the GOP says, the solution is not to drill on American land. The solution is not to build pipelines that run through and ruin Native American reservations and the local wildlife. The solution is for us, as a country, to begin transitioning to renewable ASAP. Even if we had started the transition just before Russia took over Ukraine, we would still have had to go to Saudi Arabia for oil. However, if we can start transitioning to renewable today itself, then tomorrow, we will no longer need to worry about appeasing brutal dictators or monarchs in order to get fossil fuels from them.

Joe Biden has taken strides forward in terms of that transition, but it's not enough. We need, as Secretary Kerry said, a Green New Deal. We need the ideas VP Harris, Senator Baldwin, Governor Hochul and myself worked on implemented. We need to make this our number one national priority. For that, we need somebody in the White House who can get it done. No more bold but empty promises - we don't have the time for that, our planet doesn't have the time for that. I take the issue of climate change very, very seriously. And you need only look at my record as Governor in North Carolina - I've gotten a lot of stuff done in a state with a Republican legislature, in a state with limited veto power. Secretary Kerry attacked me earlier as somebody who doesn't have enough experience on environmental issues. Well, he's wrong. As Governor of North Carolina, I vigorously and staunchly opposed offshore drilling on the coast of my state. I explained then my position in four words, and I'll say it again now - "Not off our coast." President Trump was eager to drill off North Carolina's coast, but I strongly opposed it because it would hurt the environment and our state's wonderful coastal communities. I was not interested in letting the fossil fuel lobby make a profit at the expense of the people and wildlife of the North Carolina coast. Trump backed down after a long time, and there was no offshore drilling in North Carolina. In 2017, I signed HB589, which was a major boost for solar energy in our state. When the Republicans in the legislature who get massive donations - basically bribes - from coal and oil barons and lobbyists, refused to play ball, I wielded executive orders. Executive Order 80, issued in 2018, laid out a plan to place 80,000 electric-powered vehicles on the roads of our state by 2025, and we're well on course right now to achieve that. The order also promised that our emissions in 2025 would be three-fifths of what they were in 2005. We're well on course to meet that goal, too. Executive Order 246, from back in 2022, took decisive steps for North Carolina to meet its net-zero emissions goal, and to cut emissions in half from their 2005 levels by 2030. The department of transportation in North Carolina, during my governorship,  produced extensive plans to build stations to charge electric vehicles in every part of the state, and worked towards generous tax credits for electric vehicles. And I've testified in Congress over the terrible effects of climate change our state has experienced firsthand.

My point is this - I have been a strong environmentalist and fighter for green energy. My record is crystal-clear. I've taken North Carolina much forward in its transition to renewable. And when I'm president, we will do even more across all 50 states, so that we are no longer harming our planet or relying on foreign oil."

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2022, 03:37:54 PM »

Governor Cooper, there is a growing perception that you are overly focused on the marijuana issue, and some are beginning to see you as a single-issue candidate. Why have you been pressing so hard on this issue, considering the Democratic Party is solidly behind legalisation?

COOPER: "That's fair, Anderson. But the question isn't even quite about marijuana as it is about a broader point, the larger picture, and more abstract concepts. It's not even so much about marijuana as what our respective records represent. They represent Kamala Harris' lack of action, her equivocation, her flip-flopping, and her inability to bring about progress and change. We've been over this. She makes bold promises and uses powerful rhetoric when it comes to police reform and criminal justice reform, but there is simply no action on her part! She refused to use the death penalty on a dangerous murderer and criminal in San Francisco as its DA, but then as AG, she refused to support multiple amendments to end the inhuman practice. Also as AG, she refused to investigate the police killings of multiple African-American men. She literally climbed up the political ladder by, as DA, securing thousands of marijuana convictions. Then, you've got the option of consistency, and progress. That is represented by my record, where as AG of North Carolina, I investigated forensic misconduct and freed innocent people from jail, where as Governor I legalised medical marijuana in the state. It's not just about criminal justice reform. It's about the idea that Kamala Harris is insincere and incompetent, whereas I have been an unequivocal progressive who has gotten stuff done. Look at the environment as another example. She did not, when you asked her on the subject, name a single concrete achievement by her - not by Joe Biden, but by her - on the environment. She used dramatic rhetoric about fighting white men to get it passed, but honestly, where's the beef, Kamala? [laughs] Over your long career, is there a single action you - not the Biden administration, but you yourself - have been able to achieve on climate change? I just outlined my extensive record, in a state with a GOP-controlled legislature, fighting for climate change. There are a lot of examples of statements, and, moreover, of actual action, that I provided, and I'll happily provide more. Whereas, with Kamala, it's always either excuses, or rhetoric about what she will do rather than anything she's been able to do in the past, or trying to paint the achievements of the entire Biden administration as her own. THAT is the point I'm making. We don't need more empty promises and rhetoric and no action. We don't need any more equivocation. We don't need Kamala Harris. What we need is somebody who has a consistent and powerful record they can point to, somebody who can both say what they've done AND what they will do, not just the latter. That candidate is me, whether on marijuana and criminal justice reform, or on the environment, or just about any other issue. I have a strong record, of achievement, of promises fulfilled. Kamala Harris has a record of broken promises, equivocation, confusion, empty rhetoric. My words are backed with action. Kamala's are not. And our contrasting records on the marijuana issue are just a microcosm of that phenomenon."

Governor, there are also concerns that your campaign is too aggressive and too attacking towards other candidates and runs the risk of damaging the party heading forward. Do yu have anything to say to these concerns?

COOPER: "Those are indeed very valid concerns and it is vital I address them. So I will, here and now. Whoever the Democratic candidate is - myself, VP Harris, Envoy Kerry, somebody else - I will give them my unequivocal endorsement, and support from the bottom of my heart. I will campaign for and with them in North Carolina and elsewhere. I will sincerely urge each and every one of my supporters to turn out to back them. Why? Not because I'm for politics as usual, not because I'm gunning for a position in their administration or seeking the advancement of my own political career. I would do it for this very simple reason. I truly believe that I am the best candidate - the most effective, the most reliable, the most electable, the most efficient - in this race. I think I should be our party's nominee because I can win, and as president I can achieve progress. And I don't honestly think that Kamala Harris or John Kerry would as electable and as effective as I would be. However, we must give them our full backing nonetheless. Yes, I have disagreements with both of them, particularly VP Harris, and I do think I'd be a better candidate than either of them. But we need to consider the alternative. It is Donald Trump. Sure, there are parts of Kamala Harris' record I certainly find questionable. But she is still a million times better than Donald Trump. And we cannot run the risk of giving the White House to the GOP, particularly to a Trump. Maybe Kamala Harris, in the White House, won't be as effective as I've been. However, she will have a strong agenda, and I do think that she would be successful in implementing at least some of it. Donald Trump, in contrast, has a very dangerous agenda. He has disgraced the office of the presidency and cannot come near the White House again. If the Republicans win the White House, we get more anti-Roe SCOTUS justices, of that Mitch McConnell will doubtless make certain. They will give yet more tax breaks to the rich. They will pass more xenophobic, more sexist, more racist, and more anti-LGBT bills. They will forestall any of the action on climate change or gun control that is ABSOLUTELY necessary. We cannot, and we will not, allow them to win the White House. Whoever the Democratic nominee is, they must have my supporters' complete and total support. None of my supporters, no true Democrat, can afford to stay home, or worse yet, vote Republican. Not when the stakes are so high. I will spar with Kamala Harris and John Kerry because I truly believe that we'd be making the wrong choice in selecting either of them as our nominee, and that I am a better choice. I'm not going to mince words or avoid the necessary criticism they need to hear. I think I should win, and I think I really can win. But should either of them, or should somebody else entirely, win our party's nomination, I won't be a sore loser. I will see the broader picture, and I will make sure all of my supporters see it too. I will fight my hardest to make sure a liberal Democrat wins the White House, and that Donald Trump and the Republicans lose again. My priorities are crystal clear to me, and, I believe, to my supporters. Cooper is a better pick than Harris or Kerry, yes, and I've stressed that fact so far, but we can't forge the  rest of it - that both Harris and Kerry are infinitely better picks than Donald Trump and Republicans that seek to bring our country backwards rather than forwards."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2022, 03:43:49 PM »

CLOSE OF DEBATE: "I'd like to thank Kamala Harris and John Kerry for attending this debate tonight. I'd also like to thank Anderson Cooper, the Paris Las Vegas, and the city of Las Vegas for organising and hosting this debate. Most of all, I'd like to thank our audience for being attentive and taking a listen to what all 3 of us had to say tonight. Hopefully, based on this exchange and everything else we've said and done, each and every one of you will draw the right conclusion on who to support. If we can do that, and if we nominate the right candidate, we can achieve more progress on the issues of the day - abortion, LGBT rights, taxes, energy and oil, and gun control, among so many others - than ever before. We all know how high the stakes of this race are, and how disastrous it would be for the Republicans to win. In that spirit, I hope this party nominates the right candidate for president, and I hope, most of all, that whoever our nominee is, we win the White House and bring about crucial change."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2022, 03:59:51 PM »

After the debate, Cooper flies to Manchester. He arrives there on the early morning of Jan. 27. After knocking on doors and personally introducing himself to voters all across the city (along with handing out an informational leaflet profiling Cooper), Cooper dips south. He holds town halls in both Bedford and Merrimack (two GOP-leaning towns near the Massachusetts border), before arriving for a rally with Cindy Rosenwald in Nashua. The rally is hasty, and after a solo town hall, he heads west parallel to the nearby MA-NH border, with town halls in both Hollis and Rindge. From Rindge, he heads due northeast to Peterborough, where a town hall and lunch with local townspeople is followed by his heading through Dublin and Marlborough, with town halls in both municipalities. From there, a town hall in Keene, cohosted by State Sen. Jay Kahn, who answers questions regarding why he endorsed Roy Cooper (below). From there, Cooper heads south along the Vermont border, with town halls in each of Westmoreland, Chesterfield and Hinsdale. After reaching Hinsdale, he deliberately reverses course and heads back through Westmoreland and Chesterfield (this time, no town halls). He then has 'speed town halls' (15 minutes apiece - 14 or 15 people ask questions and Cooper gives a response in under sixty seconds) in Walpole, Alstead, Acworth, Charlestown and Claremont. After a rally in Newport, he heads through Sunapee, and then has 'speed town halls' in each of New London, Wilmot, Andover and Hill. He spends the evening in Hill.

JAY KAHN ON ROY COOPER IN KEENE TOWN HALL:

"Roy's got a strong record and a very real and sincere passion for the people. I think he can clobber Trump in the general election, and I think in the White House, he will work hard to bring real results and historic change for not just New Hampshire, but this entire nation. His record in North Carolina - winning elections and then advancing a bold and visionary agenda - is worthy of admiration and itself, to say nothing of long service as North Carolina's AG, makes a strong case to select him as our party's standard-bearer."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2022, 04:36:45 PM »

Governor Cooper, now is not the time to hide away from your full record. Let it be known to voters: You hired an oil and gas lobbyist to be your legislative director in North Carolina after you approved a pipeline that the same lobbyist pushed. Not only that, but you got a $58 million blank check from that lobbying firm. This to me is a massive conflict of interest at a minimum. What does it say about your judgment when you willingly went along with that? I mean, you weren't sleeping at the wheel here, Roy. There's a saying that policy is personnel, and we cannot have lobbyists like that influence the agenda we promise. How can we know that you won't make these hiring decisions again?

Leaders in Washington and in our states have to be open with Americans. You have not been transparent with voters. For the sake of transparency, are you willing to commit here tonight that you will fully disclose where the money in that slush fund went to through an independent report?

You also made my ears perk up when you referenced Senator Baldwin. Back in July of last year on the campaign trail, you referred to Senator Baldwin as, I quote, "an extremist radical progressive who will never be able to actually implement her agenda." I know for a fact that Senator Baldwin is one of the most effective, bipartisan members of Congress. Her work on the Stop Corruption Now Act is critical to bringing Washington back to order. She's also been a pioneer on many of the issues we're discussing tonight.

You've gone around talking like a progressive these last few months, yet you attack one of our party's leading progressives like this. She was one of our frontrunners last year, and this type of rhetoric alienates millions of our voters.

We cannot afford another typical politician as our next President.

"John, any suggestion that there was a conflict of interest or the idea that the lobbyists influenced my environmental agenda is ludicrous and can be disproven by my gubernatorial record. Unlike with so many Republicans, my selection of an oil-and-gas lobbyist for legislative director neither changed nor influenced my views one bit. Yes, perhaps he wasn't the right choice, but he did not change my agenda on the environment one bit. My administration was crystal-clear for green energy. Our department of transportation took major steps towards promoting electric vehicles, as I described. I vocally opposed offshore drilling on North Carolina's cost, and thanks in part to my staunch opposition, it didn't ultimately happen. I signed laws and executive orders fighting the fossil fuel lobby and fossil fuels, and promoting renewable energy. Does that sound like a conflict of interest to you? Does that sound like I was pro-oil, or that the appointment changed my views or my agenda on the environment one bit? That choice for my legislative director did not change my views, or the actions I took, on climate change one bit. I did in fact support one pipeline, the Atlantic Coast Pipeline, because I believed it was a good choice for North Carolina. And the lobbyist was from that group. I won't deny either fact. But I've since then had a 100% pro-renewable record - which I can go into more detail on, if that's what you want. And as for the $58 million, the 'investigation' that drew that conclusion was a partisan hoax and witch-hunt. It was run by Republicans seeking to discredit me. It was deflection from a GOP-controlled General Assembly, as so many Democrats and myself pointed out. After all, it was those Republicans who spent that $58 million in public schools in 8 counties along the state's coast. There may have been a misuse of funds - but its sole culprit was GOP legislators. To repeat tired and false Republican claims you know very well are false is a low blow, John, and frankly I was hoping you would do better than this.

But yes, John, I should have earlier on explained this situation. My goal has been utmost transparency with the voters, because I have nothing to hide and think all politicians should be answerable to their constituents, to the people who elect them rather than the people who fund them. And because I have nothing to hide and support politicians being transparent with voters, I will commit to an independent report explaining where that $58 million went. I'll tell you now: Republicans in the General Assembly spent it - call it misuse, call it whatever you want - on schools on 8 coastal counties in the state the pipeline would've run through. If you don't believe me, and won't take my word for it, which is fair, then I'll give you an independent report that will confirm the very same.

As for Tammy Baldwin, yes, those remarks were tongue-in-cheek. Tammy is no "extremist radical." She is a progressive who wants what is best for our country, and I see eye to eye with her on many things. So that remark, was in a word, a mistake. I do not, however, apologise for having said she would be unable to fulfil many of the points in her agenda. Why? Well, you and Kamala Harris and Senator Baldwin all talked about universal healthcare. Which I support as well. The difference between us is that you three promised to bring it about, and, speaking of government transparency, did not mention the fact that it would be difficult to get it passed. I support universal healthcare, but unlike you and Kamala Harris, I've also always supported talking straight to the voters, giving them the full facts, not insulting their intelligence with false promises. I have promised universal healthcare if it has the votes. I'll do my best, I promise that. I'll fight hard for it, I promise that. If it reaches my desk, it will be my very great honour to sign it, I promise that. But I can't guarantee that that happens. It depends on the size of our majority in Congress and if we have the votes to stop likely GOP obstructionism. It certainly won't be easy, and it may well prove impossible, depending on our numbers in Congress. I promise that on my end, you will have a strong, strong supporter for universal healthcare, someone who does everything necessary to get it passed. I just do know, though, that presidential support alone isn't enough, and that a lot is needed from Congress, too. So when you have such a bold agenda, such a progressive and far-flung vision you promise to enact, I think that's misleading, because more often than not, it doesn't all end up happening. Sure, you try your best, maybe, but it still fails. So when you're promising in advance to the voters that this WILL definitely happen if you're elected, and then it doesn't, I don't think that's fair to the people who supported you, to break your promises in that way, to stretch the truth or exaggerate how much you can possibly do to win votes. If I lose, that's fine. I'll have talked straight to to the voters that I'll do my best, but that the simple political reality is, it may well fail, and it is by no means guaranteed, and that it depends on the partisan composition of Congress.

And if we're talking about transparency and consistency, John, there's a hell of a lot you've flip-flopped on, a lot on which you've not cared to clarify to the voters. Are you running as the John who vocally supports affirmative action, or the John who opposes it, who calls it "inherently limited and divisive" and a failure to African-Americans? Are you the John who opposed nuclear energy so strongly that you killed a bill to fund it, or the John you, in fact, does support nuclear energy, saying there's "no other alternative"? Are you still the John Kerry who supports tapping into our Strategic Petroleum Reserves, just as President Biden did a few years back, or have you gone back to the original John, who thought it was a bad and "not relevant" idea? Are you the John who supports NAFTA, or the one who thinks it hurts American workers and leads to a race-to-the-bottom?

Do you care to enlighten us or clarify your position on any of these subjects? I mean, there are more issues you've flip-flopped on than issues where you've maintained a consistent position, John! It's confusing to me and doubtless confusing to the many voters who base their vote on candidate positions, too!

Because I agree with you, John. We cannot afford any more typical career politicians who say one thing and then flip-flop and say the opposite. That's just the type of candidate you are, and I think the voters will reject inconsistency and equivocation for consistent principles."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2022, 04:46:48 PM »

JAN 28: Town halls / rallies / other campaigning in Bristol, Bridgewater, Plymouth, Lincoln, Franconia, Bethlehem and Carroll.

JAN. 29: Heads through very low-population or even uninhabited ares of eastern NH before campaigning (i.e. mostly town halls) in Conway, Eaton, Freedom, Ossipee, and Wakefield.

JAN. 30: Big rallies in Rochester, Dover (with David Watters) and Portsmouth (with Rebecca Kwoka).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2022, 05:01:53 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2022, 05:06:11 PM by CentristRepublican »

At his rallies, Cooper utterly rips into Kamala Harris for a crime lab scandal.

He discusses his own extensive efforts as North Carolina's AG in fighting for fixing forensic misconduct and suppression of evidence, and his effort to look into past cases to release innocent people. "I found forensic misconduct and tainting of evidence, and I launched a massive investigation which looked at hundreds of cases of people in jail, an investigation which freed innocent people in jail for crimes they did not commit. I've always fought for justice, and will never tolerate innocent people serving jail time." He goes into depth regarding the incident.

This is sharply contrasted with Kamala Harris' ineffectiveness and scandals as DA in San Francisco. "Kamala Harris, on the other hand, she stood idly by, as crime lab technicians in San Francisco tampered with evidence and took home cocaine, as they tainted hundreds of crime cases. She did not inform defense attorneys of the misconduct and tampering despite rules requiring such. She tried to blame judges for bias in their rulings, insisted it wasn't a major issue, and then reversed course and reversed one thousand drug cases, including many cases where people had already been convicted and were already in jail - meaning that Kamala Harris had prosecuted and jailed many people who were innocent and who had been framed."

This information is all shared on campaign literature distributed in Texas, California, Colorado, New Hampshire and South Carolina. It is summed up with the words - "Kamala Harris puts innocent people in jail. Roy Cooper fights relentlessly to release them."

The Cooper campaign, realising that there may be wavering Harris supporters who don't like Cooper but may support Kerry, decides to also discreetly spread pro-Kerry literature attacking Kamala Harris and praising John Kerry (though the messages do not claim to be the work of the Kerry campaign) among Harris supporters in the Granite State. This undercuts Harris' overall support by swaying some of her supporters into the Kerry camp, but whether it will be enough to tip New Hampshire Cooper's way remains to be seen.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2022, 12:24:05 PM »

ROY COOPER CONCESSION SPEECH:

"Well, everyone, the results are in, and we lost the primary tonight. I'd like to first take a moment to congratulate VP Harris and her supporters for this win. But I'd also like to address my own supporters, those who are disheartened by the results. I won't lie: I'm disheartened and disappointed too, by this loss. But this is far from over. We will win South Carolina and we will score major wins on Super Tuesday - mark my words! We will show the Harris - and Kerry - campaigns our mettle! We'll show them what we're made of and that we're determined to win! So from here, we're going off to South Carolina and Texas and Colorado and even Kamala Harris' own California. And we will WIN. We will win this crusade for justice and for change."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2022, 12:36:34 PM »

The Cooper Campaign conducts an autopsy after the New Hampshire results and determines the obvious - that Kamala Harris' debate response is what made all the difference. They decide they will have to go with new lines of attack against Harris (the Oppo Research Department conducts extensive opposition research against Kamala Harris, for now, given that he will not appear on the ballot till Super Tuesday, disregarding John Kerry) and altogether avoid mentioning the issue of marijuana over the coming weeks, to avoid furthering the appearance that it is a one-issue campaign. They also consciously make the decision to avoid campaigning in Nevada, where polls have consistently shown they are at a massive deficit with Kamala Harris. They will instead double-down on South Carolina, the one state where they have a polling advantage, if one that is narrow. This decision is made public so Cooper supporters are braced in advance not to expect a good result on Nevada. Cooper makes clear that, like Joe Biden four years earlier, he is banking everything on winning South Carolina (and hopefully comfortably).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2022, 07:49:33 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2022, 06:07:01 PM by CentristRepublican »

ROY COOPER ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL, JAN 31 TO FEB 2, 2024

JAN. 31

Cooper departs from Portsmouth for Charleston, South Carolina. He has consciously decided not to campaign in Nevada, focusing his attention solely on the Palmetto State for now. In Charleston, he addresses a crowd with the city's mayor, John Tecklenburg, about the "dangers of climate change." He outlines his bold plan to "save our nation's, to save this world's, coasts from the inevitable destruction and damage that will ravage it if we do not stop climate change." He once again brings up those 17 points he, Harris, Baldwin, Hochul and Scott worked together to produce. After the rally, he heads over to neighbouring Georgetown County, to be precise, to its eponymous county seat, where he joins his supporters in "cleaning up the Georgetown coast" by picking up trash along the shoreline and disposing it in trash cans. It is a long and gruelling day, but by the end of the day, they have collected much of the trash along the Georgetown coast. "We, right here, today, have accomplished a great thing. We came together, and we cleaned up the coast. And that to me symbolises something greater - if we can come together, we can save our environment. It doesn't matter that the coal lobby, that the oil lobby, will fight back. It doesn't matter that we'll be up against billions in bribes in the disguise of political donations. None of that matters. If us, ordinary people, are willing to fight for our planet, to fight against climate change, then we will win this fight. Just like we won the fight to clean up Georgetown's coast today."

FEB. 1

Funeral of Jimmy Carter in Georgia.

FEB 2.

On February 2, Cooper finishes heading up the South Carolina coast with a rally in Myrtle Beach where he discusses abortion. "For close to fifty years, a woman's right to make choices about her own body was protected, was guaranteed, by the Supreme Court in the form of Roe v Wade. What happened? Mitch McConnell schemed. First, with several months to go till election day 2016, he refused to let the Senate even consider Barack Obama's nominee to the Supreme Court, Merrick Garland. His given reason was that it was too close to election day and that the voters should make the choice. After that, he jammed through Trump's pick for the seat, Neil Gorsuch, as well as Brett Kavanaugh, somebody with serious accusations of sexual assault levelled against him. And then, with very little time to go till election day 2020, great liberal fighter Ruth Bader Ginsburg died. All claims of letting the voters choose forgotten, Mitch McConnell forced through the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett in record time. What did these three justices do? Well, when questioned about Roe, all had acknowledged its longstanding and historic precedent, and Gorsuch in particular promised to respect that. But two years ago, all three of them voted to overturn Roe v Wade. Since then, half the states in this country, South Carolina included, have banned abortions - with no exceptions for rape, or incest, or if the mother's life is in danger. We've seen teenage girls, we've seen pre-teen girls, pregnant as the result of rape, unable to legally have abortions in their states. They've been forced to travel to other states, if they can afford it, and if they can't, to either attempt self-harm or give birth against their will. It is a gruesome and sickening thing, and I won't stand for it. Republicans, and Trump's SCOTUS nominees, have taken us half a century backwards on this issue. We must show them that we respect the right to an abortion. When I'm in the White House, I will select only those committed to a woman's right to choose, so that the Supreme Court can re-affirm a woman's right to an abortion. And to ensure that Mitch McConnell's dirty tricks are of no use, I would also support a constitutional amendment codifying Roe v Wade as federal law."

After that, Cooper heads off towards Marion County.
In Marion, home of State Senator Kent Williams, who has endorsed him, Williams and Cooper discuss at a town hall the problem of poverty and wealth disparity in America. "We have people, in the Appalachian Mountains, along the Mississippi River, on reservations in the Dakotas, in the deserts of New Mexico, living in abject poverty, struggling to feed themselves and their families, struggling to pay the rent or to avoid living on the streets. At the same time, we have multibillionaires like Peter Theil who avoid paying their fair share in taxes. They donate - and basically bribe - Republican politicians, and those politicians give them tax break upon tax break, tax loophole upon tax loophole. The defense contractors and the defense lobbyists also spend money bribing Republicans. The result is that these apparently budget-conscious Republicans support massive giveaways to the rich - tax cuts and loopholes for the 1% - and they support wasting government money on one-sided defense contracts to build unnecessary weapons. So when are these Republicans budget-conscious? They are budget conscious when it comes to fighting the homelessness and giving the homeless shelters, they are budget conscious when it comes to helping children in poverty, they are budget conscious when it comes to providing health insurance to sick people who are too poor to afford it themselves. This is not how government is supposed to work. With Republicans, we get a government that functions only for the 1%, that only caters to and serves their needs, that exploits the bottom 99%, the working people, that leaves them out in the cold. AND I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT! FOR TOO LONG, THE WORKING CLASS HAS BEEN SHORTCHANGED! And it's time for that to end. That is one of the biggest reasons I'm running for president - because it's time we do something for more than just the donor class, it's time we help the bottom 99% and have the top 1% pay their fair share."
Cooper campaigns across other parts of Marion County, as well as across neighbouring Dillon County, with Sen. Williams over the course of the day.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2022, 12:18:04 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2022, 06:08:07 PM by CentristRepublican »

On February 3, Cooper heads towards the Columbia area, campaigning all the way, and upon reaching there, he holds a large rally where he discusses LGBT rights, healthcare, and gun violence (no mention of criminal justice reform or marijuana for now).

Then he heads over to Spartanburg, where, after a long break where he refrained from doing so, he rips into Kamala Harris. Not over marijuana convictions or the criminal justice system, but over her flip-flopping on…immigration: “Kamala Harris said, and I quote, ‘ICE has a role, ICE should exist. This is, to be clear, the agency that separates kids from their parents at the border, that rips apart families and puts young children in cages. Anyway, she said that in March, 2018. But then she launched her presidential campaign and realized her pro-ICE position wasn’t popular, wasn’t convenient. So then in July 2018, just two months later, she took a 180 and said it needed, quote, “a complete overhaul of the agency, mission, culture, operations.” I’m still not sure what her actual position on ICE is, and I don’t think many voters are, either, so it’d help if Kamala could explain what her position actually is. You can’t have it both ways, VP Harris, and we can’t have more equivocation on this issue that is so crucial, that is almost an issue of life and death to thousands of people south of the border.” He also discusses his own liberal, and consistent, views on immigration, which include steadfast opposition to both The Wall and the kids-in-cages policy (he calls the latter “a national disgrace, a major problem that needs correction ASAP”).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2022, 12:42:33 PM »

Cooper reaffirms ‘complete, unequivocal and total support’ for the Stop Corruption Now Act at event in SC: “I absolutely and fully support Senator Baldwin’s terrific piece of legislation, the Stop Corruption Now Act. Corruption - including insider trading, which this law would make impossible - is a major problem and something that was and remains an integral part of Washington politics. We can change that by making this bill law. We can increase government accountability and integrity. It is a major step forward in tackling corruption, and I expect only politicians engaging in or condoning of corruption, to oppose it.”
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2022, 01:00:16 AM »

COOPER IN SOUTH CAROLINA, FEB. 4 TO FEB. 7, INCLUSIVE.

On February 4, Cooper can be found all over Greenville and Greenville County. City councilwoman Lilian Brock-Fleming vouches for Cooper, but Cooper speaks about his own antipoverty programs. "We need to lift every child in America out of poverty. Every child in America deserves a good education, deserves a roof over its head. It's vicious, but this system creates a cycle of poverty that repeats itself, a cycle very difficult for poor kids, particularly minorities, to escape from. And I think we as a nation are not only abandoning these kids, but in them, abandoning them a lot of potential for this country. We need less funding for bad defense contracts and for the DoD, less funding for invasions of the Middle East and for bomber planes, less tax cuts for billionaires. We need more funding for public schools, we need to increase child support, we need to increase funding for HUD. We need to look at the roots of poverty and tackle them from there." He meets with impoverished and working class families and Greenville, talking to single moms working multiple jobs to support their families. Cooper has a town hall in the evening where he discusses his plans to combat poverty.

On February 5, Cooper returns to Spartanburg. He reiterates why he must win South Carolina: "We've suffered narrow but disappointing losses in both Iowa and New Hampshire. We've given up on Nevada. All of those states have fallen to Kamala Harris. But I still hold faith in South Carolina. South Carolina, Democrats from all across the state - from the Lowcountry to the Charleston coast, from Abbeville County to Cherokee County, will be deciding who they want as the Democratic nominee for president. Do you want a fellow Carolinian, somebody with experience at winning tough races, at transforming their state? Or another career politician who wins easy races and gets nothing done, who gets along and goes along, who does not deliver to the people? Do we want to run the risk of delivering the White House to the GOP, by giving them a Democratic candidate with twenty something approvals - or do we want to choose a governor from a swing state, who can help win that swing state, who can hold the White House and advance liberal ideals? Ultimately, this is a question of liberal vision. Have we given up on the vision of a government that serves all its citizens, a government that fights poverty, a government that fights inequality and injustice, a government for the people, of the people and by the people? Or is that a vision we are still actively fighting for? And you know what? I think South Carolinians still have that vision. A vision where their children have a better future than they had - where they don't need to worry about putting food on the table, worry about economic stability? Where they don't need to work multiple jobs to support their families? Where they do not need to worry about being treated differently because of their race, or their sexual orientation? Where they do not need to worry about falling sick because they don't have health insurance? Republicans want you to think these are problems our government can't, or shouldn't, solve. They think the government should step back, should allow the rich to get richer and the middle class to fade away. They support privatising Medicare, they support repealing Obamacare, and they oppose the concept of unionisation. Well, I beg to differ. I think we need a government that fights for all of its people - not just the 1%, but the other 99%, whether they're straight or gay, male or female, black or white, old or young, liberal or conservative. We as a country need to decide whether we want a government that unites us, or a government that divides us; a government that fights for the working and middle classes, or one which leaves them to the mercy of multibillionaires. And this is something I'm confident South Carolina will, that America will, make the right decision on. It's why I began this campaign. Because, just the way I've served every North Carolinian, advocated for every North Carolinian's rights, from day one - I think we need a leader who does just that for every single American. So that nobody is left behind, and so that we truly finally have a government for the people - for all the people, not just the rich." After this rambling speech, which is met with warm applause, Cooper campaigns in other parts of Spartanburg, before leaving for Columbia.

Columbia, February 6. Cooper discusses Kamala Harris' flip flopping and equivocation on various issues. "Kamala Harris, March 2018: "ICE has a role, ICE should exist.” Kamala Harris, July 2018, said that ICE needs "a complete overhaul of the agency, mission, culture, operations.” ICE is the organisation that, down at the border, separates families. I oppose many of their practices and have consistently believed that ICE should be significantly reformed, if not abolished. Kamal Harris, on the other hand? Her opinion on ICE is whatever's politically convenient. If you tell her abolishing ICE is favoured by a majority of Democrats, she'll say she supports overhauling it. If you tell her that idea's not favoured by a majority of Democrats, she'll say she's pro-ICE and doesn't oppose overhauling it. Kamala Harris has said she's in favour of sanctuary cities. Well, Kamala, your record tells a very different story. To quote CNN: “As district attorney of San Francisco, Kamala Harris supported a city policy that required law enforcement to turn over undocumented juvenile immigrants to federal immigration authorities if they were arrested and suspected of committing a felony, regardless of whether they were actually convicted of a crime.” To quote your city's Chronicle: "District Attorney Kamala Harris does not emerge unscathed. Her prosecutors should have known that convicted drug dealers were being allowed to bypass deportation. If they did raise objections, they were ineffective. If they did not, then they were either unclear on the law or not looking out for the best interest of the city.” In 2008, Kamla Harris called decriminalising prostitution, "completely ridiculous", and she said that “it would put a welcome mat out for pimps and prostitutes to come on into San Francisco.” Well, I don't really disagree with 2008 Kamala. But 2019 Kamala appears to have a very different view on that same subject! She now says prostitution, and sexual work, should be decriminalised. In 2016, Kamala supported sending troops to Iraq, Libya, and Syria. In 2019, though, she'd taken yet another 180. Consistency, principles, and values, are key qualities of any would-be president, and when you've got somebody who's only consistent viewpoint is whatever's politically expedient - there's something very wrong with that. Kamala Harris says I flip-flop, but the truth is, her own entire political platform is a collection of flip-flops and equivocations."

Cooper also says in Charleston at a rally with the mayor on the 7th: "Kamala Harris is insincere and will say whatever, adopt whatever political position, she needs to get elected. In office, she'll stand idly by. There have been scandals and gross mismanagement under her watch. As far as progressive action goes? It's always the same: nothing happens. Kamala does nothing. She'll win an office, and then disappoint everybody that voted for her. She claims she's for change, but in her entire career, the only thing I've seen change is her position on the issues. I promise change, and I deliver change too. Not on my political views, but to our system. I've promised criminal justice reform, and marijuana reform. I've delivered on both counts. I've promised bold steps forward to tackle climate change. I've delivered - under my administration, North Carolina's vocally opposed offshore drilling, and has taken various measures to go green and renewable. So the question is: Which change do you want?"
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2022, 04:51:44 PM »

Vice President Harris breaks tie on SCNA

"Alright *chuckle* on this vote the Yea's are 50, the Nay's are 50, the Senate being equally divided the Vice President votes in the affirmative and the bill as amended is passed" *slams gavel*

After breaking the tie the Vice President would chat with a few Senators before quickly leaving the Capitol to depart for Nevada.

COOPER DISCUSSES THE PASSAGE OF THE STOP CORRUPTION NOW ACT IN MYRTLE BEACH, SOUTH CAROLINA ON THE 8TH: "I commend Kamala Harris on her decision here. I would have done the same thing were I in her shoes, and voted to make this revolutionary bill law. For this bill takes historic steps away from government corruption and toward government integrity. However, it is both disappointing and revealing that less than 2% of Republican senators supported this bill, while all 49 Democrats supported it. This is a common sense bill which should have seen broad bipartisan support - however, 50 out of 51 Republican senators were too cowardly and spineless to support this bill. Yes, just one Republican out of 51 supported this bill. Don't you listen when Republicans like Donald Trump or Josh Hawley tell you they're against the swamp, against the establishment, against corruption. Because when it came up for a vote - when the chips were down and government integrity was up for a vote - Josh Hawley and 49 of the other 50 Republicans voted against this bill. They voted against fighting corruption, they voted against government integrity. Don't you listen when any of the 50 Republican senators who rejected government integrity tell you they're against corruption, when they tell you that they're for reform. They are lying to you. They are a disgrace to their constituents and the people that voted for them, and they should be ashamed of themselves. All 50 of them. We as a nation should be proud that we passed this great bill and have taken a major step forward in fighting corruption, while at the same time ashamed that one of the two major parties, the party that controls Congress, nearly unanimously voted against government integrity, nearly unanimously voted against this common-sense piece of reform. Remember this when you go to the polls this November: one party voted for government integrity; the other party voted against it."

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2022, 05:14:52 PM »

On February 9, Cooper heads out to Florence, where he attacks GOP policies generally.
"You know, one of the original Republicans who supposedly championed a smaller government, who championed less spending, who claimed to be a deficit hawk, was Ronald Reagan. Many people associate Reagan with careful, conservative spending, and we associate him with reducing our deficit. But the truth is this: Ronald Reagan, for all of his 'deficit hawk' lies, tripled our national debt during his eight years in office. And on what? Not to serve the American people. Not to feed the hungry, to house the homeless, to increase government insurance. But rather, to pass tax cuts for the richest Americans - which increased the wealth gap - and to support wasteful government spending, a bloated military. He created the military industrial complex, let me just tell you that. And this very same thing has happened with each Republican president since. They all claim to be deficit hawks, for a smaller government, but then they all go ahead and increase our national debt, increase the deficit. George W. Bush spent billions in taxpayer dollars to fund the bloated military, on bad defense contracts, to invade Iraq, to send American troops to go and die in the Middle East in the pursuit of weapons of mass destruction that weren't there. That money could have been spent to reduce the debt. That money could have been spent on healthcare for more Americans. But it was spent on funding the military industrial-complex, on needless wars. The Office of Government Accountability offered grave criticisms and analyses of all the taxpayer money the Bush Administration was squandering, but they promptly ignored and silenced by the 'small government' 'deficit hawk' Republicans in Congress. And we have Donald Trump, who increased the national debt by nearly $8,000,000,000,000 in just four years in office. He, again, spent it on tax giveaways to the billionaires of the donor-class, those who donate to GOP politicians in exchange for tax breaks and tax loopholes.

A bigger national debt, a bigger national deficit. A bloated military-industrial complex with so much waste of taxpayer dollars. That's the 'economic conservatism' of the Republicans.

And I'm sick and tired of their charade, of their lies, of their double-standards. Joe Biden spent trillions, but not on tax cuts. He spent it to help hundreds of millions of Americans who were hurting, to increase the number of vaccines and testing sites because Donald Trump couldn't be bothered to do so. He took the courageous decision to pull the troops out of Afghanistan, that George W. Bush placed there 20 years earlier and that Republicans had fought tooth and nail to keep there since then. I intend to follow President Biden's model when I'm in office. To spend money, but only money to help the American people. Money to feed the hungry and help the homeless, not on the military-industrial complex or on unnecessary wars abroad. And we can still reduce the deficit, believe it or not. We can do so by finally, finally, finally taxing the rich their fair share, and by cutting government waste on bad military contracts and needless weapons of warfare. I don't think it's right that the top 10% own as much as the bottom 90%, or that the top 1% owns over a third of the nation's wealth. But we can change that, together. We can change that by closing the many tax loopholes Republicans have put on the books, and by reversing the 2001 and 2017 tax breaks for the ultra-rich, once and for all."

The speech is uploaded to the YouTube channel, and select quotes of it are aired in media markets in TX, CA, CO, TN and MA.

Also, Cooper's earlier speech attacking Kamala Harris for her flip-flopping is also converted into an attack ad to be aired in TX, CA, CO, UT, and MN.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2022, 05:15:18 PM »

On February 10, Cooper holds a rally and fundraiser in Charlotte, before heading up to Raleigh.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2022, 06:32:02 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2022, 12:13:44 PM by CentristRepublican »

COOPER ON NEVADA CAUCUSES:

"We lost Nevada, of course. This time, I can't say I'm too disappointed - in fact, I'm glad that 42.7% of Nevada Democrats understood our struggle, understood our decision, understood that in the long-run, in-state campaigning aside, the candidate for Nevada was Roy Cooper. 42.7% of Nevada Democrats weren't swayed by Kamala Harris, but rather by the endorsement of Congresswomen Susie Lee and Dina Titus, by our campaign message, by my consistent and liberal record. Of course, we consciously chose to not contest Nevada, because we have bigger fish to fry. We consciously decided to focus on South Carolina. And we'll be vindicated in this decision when we crush Kamala Harris right here in South Carolina - I promise you that! Kamala, I'm telling you here and now, and your supporters too - don't get your hopes on South Carolina too high, because you'll only be disappointed.

And to South Carolina: I have faith in you. I trust you to the make the right decision on primary day. To say I'm counting on you is a massive understatement. To quote Lyndon Johnson, "The stakes are too high for you to stay home." All South Carolina Democrats interested in moving this country forward - towards expanded Medicare and healthcare for all, towards an end to the death penalty, towards criminal justice reform, towards bold action on climate change, towards better schools and better gun control laws - must vote on primary day. And vote for Roy Cooper. Because together, we can change this country. The Republicans, and for that matter Kamala Harris, have a lot on their side. Establishmentarian support. Big, multimillionaire donors. Large campaign staffs. But we, together, can defeat them by wielding the strongest weapon in our democracy: our ballots. With that weapon - and not with the warheads and nuclear weapons that war-loving Republicans are so eager to have manufactured - we can truly, finally, achieve real, meaningful change that will last for generations, and we can finally implement the numerous revolutionary reforms our country so desperately needs. All we need to do is vote, yes, vote, and that's what I'm counting on South Carolina for this 24th. We can show everybody - we can show Kamala Harris and all the anti-democracy Republicans out there: that we are standing strong and we will not back down until we have won this fight."

This thunderous speech is followed by widespread applause in his audience, and a cameraman recording the speech quickly uploads it to YouTube for people to see nationwide.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2022, 12:16:03 PM »

DELEGATE COUNT

Harris: 54 (21 from IA, 13 from NH, 20 from NV)
Cooper: 44 (19 from IA, 10 from NH, 15 from NV)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2022, 07:17:04 PM »

Kerry Releasing Comprehensive Medical Records

February 11 - Today, the Kerry campaign announced that they have released detailed medical records for Secretary John Kerry over the past 20 years. This represents a direct continuation from when then-Senator Kerry released decades worth of medical history during the 2004 campaign.

An examination of Mr. Kerry's recent health over the years show "very excellent numbers in both physical and mental acuity" and "a highly active lifestyle that counteracts [Kerry's] age, as well as risk factors which go along with age." The most serious health scare for the candidate during his time in public service occurred with a prostate cancer diagnosis in 2002, which he would be cured from by 2004. Latest records from Kerry come after this period and show no new conditions having transpired since then. The most significant health metric currently monitored for Secretary Kerry's long-term health is cholesterol, which has been slightly elevated in previous years but are more within guidelines in the past several years through proactive measures.

"I am proud to continue my longstanding record of honesty and transparency with the American people by publishing my full medical records," Secretary Kerry said in a statement for this release. "With this act, I implore my fellow candidates on both sides to immediately join me in doing the same. Voters deserve to know that their next President would be ready to serve at the top of their health." Kerry will be making an appearance on Good Morning America on the following day, February 12th, to discuss these records and their findings with a national audience.

Cooper follows Kerry in choosing to release his medical records: "I'm in perfectly good health and I'm truly not sure why anybody would think otherwise, but I'm quite happy to acquiesce Senator Kerry's request, to follow Senator Kerry's lead, and publicly release all my medical records, because I have nothing to hide and, as Senator Kerry said, all voters should have confidence that whoever they elect as their president will be ready and able to lead starting day one." Indeed, the health reports released are perfectly normal and indicate Cooper to be reasonably healthy.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2022, 07:29:32 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2022, 07:35:11 PM by CentristRepublican »

This week (February 11 to 17, 2024), Cooper intends to work towards locking down the must-win Palmetto State - while also focusing on laying the groundwork in a handful of Super Tuesday states. Firstly, which Super Tuesday states will Cooper particularly focus on? Of course, the bulk of his attention will go to Texas, the Lone Star State, a massive state with many, many delegates up for grabs, and a state apparently deemed a tossup between him and Harris. A victory here would be a big boom for the campaign. But Cooper also intends to rack up wins in some smaller states, particularly those in the South, where he has a fighting chance if not a narrow advantage - he will fight hard in Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Virginia, as well as in Colorado, Oklahoma, and Minnesota. This week, after departing from South Carolina, Cooper will immediately head over down south to Tennessee, Alabama and Arkansas, to introduce himself to voters as well. In the upcoming weeks, he will do the rounds in the other named states as well, intending to fight for every last vote and every last delegate. Later on, if time allows and he feels he has already campaigned enough and met with enough voters in the named states, Cooper is considering possibly contesting Harris' native California, a delegate-rich liberal bastion. Of course, the state will doubtless break for its native daughter in the end, but if Cooper can keep the margin respectably low, it will not only be a victory in winning a large number of delegates, but also a moral victory, if it can be framed as such. Similarly, Cooper is tempted - if time allows - to launch a sneak attack on Envoy Kerry up in the Bay State, where a Kerry victory would be crushing for the fledgling campaign by the 2004 presidential nominee.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies