2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:01:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: 2024 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 9907 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2022, 02:07:13 AM »
« edited: May 26, 2022, 01:16:08 AM by CentristRepublican »

COOPER'S CAMPAIGN SCHEDULE
(JULY 5 - JULY 31)

Gov. Cooper starts off in the Carolinas, swings down to Southeast Florida for a climate meeting, heads west into Louisiana, and finally heads north along the Mississippi River up to Iowa.

JULY 5-7 - Tending to governor's duties and spending time with family in North Carolina's executive mansion.
JULY 8 - Campaigning in Columbia, South Carolina, with State Senator and Chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party Dick Harpootlian, after Harpootlian unveils his endorsement.
JULY 9 - Campaigning in Charleston, South Carolina, with Mayor John Tecklenburg, after Tecklenburg unveils his endorsement.
JULY 10 - Climate meeting with Senator Baldwin, Governors Hochul and Scott, and Vice-President Harris.
JULY 11 - Campaigning in Baton Rouge, Louisiana with Mitch Landrieu.
JULY 12 - Campaigning in Tensas, Madison and East Carroll Parishes, Louisiana.
JULY 13 - Rally + fundraiser in Shreveport, Louisiana.
JULY 14 - Campaigning in Council Bluffs, Pottowatamie County, Iowa, with State Representative Charlie McConkey, who announces his endorsement.
JULY 15 - Town halls in Harrison and Monona Counties, Iowa.
JULY 16-17 - Rallies and town halls in Sioux City, Woodbury County, Iowa, with State Senator Jackie Smith and State Representatives Chris Hall and Steve Hansen. All three have given their endorsements.
JULY 18 - Town halls and other campaigning: heading north through Plymouth, Sioux, Lyon Counties, Iowa, then campaigning east, in Osceola County, Iowa.
JULY 19 - Town halls and other campaigningas the campaign traverseses south through O'Brien and Cherokee Counties, Iowa, then east, into Buena Vista County, Iowa, for a rally. Campaigning with Atty. General Tom Miller at stop in Buena Vista County.
JULY 20 - Town hall and mini-rally whilst traversing east through Pocahontas, Humboldt and Wright Counties, Iowa.
JULY 21 - Campaigning across Franklin County, Iowa, with State Sen. Amanda Ragan of the 27th district.
JULY 22 - In Cerro Gordo County, Iowa. He campaigns in Grant, Lincoln, Lake, Clear Lake, Union, Mount Vernon, Pleasant Valley and Grimes Townships with State Sen. Amanda Ragan of the 27th district, Lime Creek, Bath and Geneso Townships with State Rep. Sharon Sue Steckman of the 53rd district, and in Mason City proper with both Ragan and Steckman.
JULY 23 - In eastern Cerro Gordo County (Dougherty, Owen, Portland and Falls Townships, in that order) with State Rep. (and former House Minority Leader) Todd Prichard of the 52nd district, then campaigning east, through Floyd and Chickasaw Counties, with Prichard.
JULY 24 - In Fayette and Bremer Counties with Atty. General Tom Miller.
JULY 25 - In Butler, Fremont, Dayton, Jackson, West Point, Coldwater, Bennezette, Pittsford, Madison and Washington Townships in Butler County (in exactly that order) with State Sen. Ragan, as well as the southernmost tier of townships in Franklin County from east to west (namely, Osceola, Grant, Lee and Oakland Townships, in that order).
JULY 26 - Campaigning alone in northern Hardin County, then in Grundy County, then in southern Hardin County.
JULY 27 - Campaigning in Ames, Story County, Iowa (especially HD46) with State Rep. and Chair of the Iowa Democratic Party Ross Willburn.
JULY 28 - Heading west to spend the day campaigning in Boone County before returning to Ames to catch a flight to New Hampshire
JULY 29 - Debate in Goffstown, NH
JULY 30 - Heads south via the Everett Turnpike to Nashua, to campaign with State Sen. Cindy Rosenwald (of the 13th district), who has given her endorsement.
JULY 31 - Heads home from Nashua to North Carolina.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2022, 01:17:48 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2022, 01:54:01 PM by CentristRepublican »

JULY 8 - Campaigning in Columbia, South Carolina, with State Senator and Chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party Dick Harpootlian, after Harpootlian unveils his endorsement.
JULY 9 - Campaigning in Charleston, South Carolina, with Mayor John Tecklenburg, after Tecklenburg unveils his endorsement.
JULY 10 - Climate meeting with Senator Baldwin, Governors Hochul and Scott, and Vice-President Harris.
JULY 11 - Campaigning in Baton Rouge, Louisiana with Mitch Landrieu.
JULY 12 - Campaigning in Tensas, Madison and East Carroll Parishes, Louisiana.

On July 8, Cooper resumes campaigning. He returns to Columbia, South Carolina's glorious capital, to campaign with State Senator and Chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party Dick Harpootlian. "Dick's always been a man of the people and for the people. He's championed the working class in his decades of public service. That you would support me in this fight means a great deal to me, Dick, and I promise you I won't disappoint you!" He then emphasizes his support for unions and a higher minimum wage. "I know Tammy Baldwin promises a $15 minimum wage, but that will not happen. I'm not going to make promises to you I can never realistically keep, just to win your vote. I'll tell you the truth, and here's that. I will fight my hardest for the working class when I'm president every day. And I will increase the minimum wage as high as I can. If I can get it to $15 an hour, which is unfortunately very unlikely to occur, I'll do it. If not, I'll take what I can get, be it $12 an hour or $10 an hour. Progress is progress. I'm not going to lie through my teeth and guarantee you or promise you a $15 an hour wage like Tammy Baldwin has done. I respect you enough that I will tell you the truth and hope you'll vote for me regardless. I am the true candidate for a higher minimum wage. Do not listen to a word of what Tammy Baldwin tells you, because there is no way to guarantee a $15 wage like she has done unless she has magic powers the rest of us don't. I'll fight for you all and get you as much as I can. Unfortunately, $15 is unlikely, but I'll get it as high as I can. And I'll look at other ways at helping the people who work long hours for little pay, too. I will fight right-to-work laws tooth and nail. My Department of Labor and my Department of Justice will look at this matter and we'll get those laws overturned. South Carolina is currently a right-to-work state. I will do my best to change that, too, as president."

The following day, he campaigns in Charleston with Mayor John Tecklenburg. He emphasizes climate change. "Charleston will be underwater unless we act now. This is not an overstatement. Four other candidates and myself will be meeting tomorrow in Miami to reveal some solutions we all collaborated on. This is a team effort and an international effort. We need to save our planet. The East and West coasts and the Gulf coast will all go underwater because of rising sea levels caused by the melting of ice caps and glaciers from global warming. We will fight global warming and it will be one of my biggest priorities as president."

[THE DETAILS FOR THE MIAMI CLIMATE REVEAL WILL BE DISCLOSED AT A LATER DATE.]

On July 11, Cooper flies into Baton Rouge to campaign with Mitch Landrieu. He discusses decriminalizing marijuana. “The House has already passed bills legalizing and decriminalizing marijuana. I promise you that during my presidency, pot will be decriminalized on a national basis. No more African-Americans, no more minorities at all, no more people period, will be thrown into jail for long periods of time for possessing a small amount of marijuana. People like Kamala Harris have made their careers by imprisoning these people for marijuana possession. Kamala Harris won't tell you, and she'll say she's all for decriminalization, but as DA in San Francisco, she was responsible for a lot of marijuana convictions. She was. Now look, I have no problem with prosecutors per se. I do have a problem with prosecutors who imprison people for marijuana possession and then say they're for marijuana. Kamala Harris is the candidate who has supported marijuana criminalization all along. If you think marijuana should be legal, do not support her! She is a flip-flopper on this issue, but at the end of the day, the fact of matter is she was originally for marijuana convictions. Go and ask the people who spent time in jail for possessing a little weed, who were prosecuted by Harris, if they think she’s for marijuana. I've been staunchly against it all along, since I don't think it's worthy of imprisonment at all. It is a personal choice and no one should be arrested for possession of a small amount of marijuana!”

RELATED TO COOPER’S REMARKS ON CANNABIS, HE AIRS ADS IN THE MEDIA MARKETS OF BOSTON, NEW ORLEANS, OMAHA, AND CEDAR RAPIDS - WATERLOO - IOWA CITY - DUBUQUE, IN WHICH PEOPLE CONVICTED ON CHARGES OF MARIJUANA POSSESSION BY KAMALA HARRIS EXPLAIN THEIR EXPERIENCES AND WHETHER THEY THINK HARRIS IS FOR MARIJUANA OR AGAINST IT.

On July 12, Cooper campaigns in Tensas Parish, Louisana, just west of the Mississippi. "This county is one of the most improverished in the country. I will not forget the people of Tensas Parish. I will get government aid. We need Medicare for this reason. We need healthcare, and we need better public schools and public works. I will fight for all those things, and I will fight for the people of Tensas Parish. I will not forget you." He makes similar remarks while travelling north, through the parishes of Madison and East Carroll.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2022, 02:50:23 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2022, 02:57:28 PM by CentristRepublican »

JULY 13 - Rally + fundraiser in Shreveport, Louisiana.
JULY 14 - Campaigning in Council Bluffs, Pottowatamie County, Iowa, with State Representative Charlie McConkey, who announces his endorsement.
JULY 15 - Town halls in Harrison and Monona Counties, Iowa.
JULY 16-17 - Rallies and town halls in Sioux City, Woodbury County, Iowa, with State Senator Jackie Smith and State Representatives Chris Hall and Steve Hansen. All three have given their endorsements.

Cooper heads across northern Louisiana on the evening of July 12 and early hours of July 13, arriving in the city of Shreveport, Louisiana's 3rd largest city. He holds a large rally near the Caddo Parish Courthouse in Shreveport. Today, his emphasis is on gun control. He discusses championing gun control in the wake of the Uvalde school shooting in 2022, as well as opposing the NRA. "The NRA and the Republican Party have obstructed gun control. I will champion gun control so that we have no more school shootings! We need strict universal background checks, red flag laws, and an increase in the age required to own guns. We need to ban AR15s and other lethal firearms. As president, I will have each of these reforms in a separate bill and we'll see what we can't get passed." He trains his fire on Kathy Hochul. "You know, as a member of Congress, Kathy Hochul was for the NRA and the NRA was for Kathy Hochul. The NRA - the same organization that practically bribes members of Congress and refuses to address school shootings, the organization with the blood of massacred schoolchilden on its hand, supported Kathy Hochul. Kathy Hochul in 2012 was one of just seventeen Democrats to support an NRA-backed measure. In return for her voting the way the NRA wanted to, she got its endorsement, which she then touted and trumpeted. So when Kathy Hochul tells you she's anti-NRA or for gun control, don't believe a word of what she says. Kathy Hochul is the NRA-endorsed candidate who touts the NRA's endorsement. And now she wants to take the Democrats of this country for a ride, by telling us she's against the NRA and in favour of gun control. It's outrageous!"

After some applause and after answering some questions, Cooper heads for a fundraiser. He rips into all the other candidates (Hochul: picking Benjamin as Lt. Gov and touting an endorsement from the NRA, as well as pposing drivers' licenses for undocumented immigrants; Harris: getting people convicted on marijuana charges, having low approvals, and telling illegal immigrants to "go back where they came from;" Warren: for being a lackluster candidate missing from the campaign trail; Baldwin: for telling tall tales and making promises she cannot keep).

After the fundraiser, Cooper boards a flight for Council Bluffs in Iowa. He meets with State Representative Charlie McConkey, who gives his endorsement. Cooper mainly emphasizes his liberal agenda and for now, avoids attacking the other candidates, focusing mainly on slamming Republicans, particularly Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump. He discusses appointing pro-choice judges who will defend Roe vs Wade and Obergefell vs Hayes. He discusses his and the other candidates' environmental plan. He attacks Ron DeSantis as "an opportunistic bigot who has caused death in his state, who has had a bigoted and virulently anti-LGBT agenda, who forced one of the worst gerrymanders in the country onto Florida." He calls Trump a "crazy wannabe dictator who should retire to Mar-a-Lago instead of continuing to advance a xenophobic, divise, racist, sexist agenda that divides Americans rather than unite them." He says, "These are the two men we need to stand against. Above all else, we need to make sure neither of them enter the White House. That's one of the top reasons I'm running - I want to help build a better nation for my children and grandchildren, and for that, we need to make sure that these two people never win the presidency."

On July 15, Cooper heads north, still in western Iowa. During lunch, he hosts a town hall in little Missouri Valley, Harrison County. In Onawa, Monona County, Iowa, later that same day, he  discusses Kathy Hochul's flip-flopping on guns and illegal immigration. "The same Kathy Hochul who touted being endorsed by the NRA but now claims she's for gun control is the same Kathy Hochul who advocated deporting illegal immigrants before claiming she was for amnesty. Kathy Hochul is a liar and flip-flopper. The truth is, I don't know what she'll do if she's elected. What if she has another change of heart and decides she wants to deport illegal immigration, or decides she'll oppose gun control? Kathy Hochul has no compassion and she has no principles. She will change her political views depending on which way the wind blows, depending on what seems most politically convenient that day."

Flyers and emails are also sent out to voters revealing Kathy Hochul's flip flopping and hypocrisy on these issues. They include information on her about-face and flip-flopping on guns (the NRA endorsement and Hochul touting it) and immigration. They also include the full text of Cooper's speeches on immigration (see below) and Hochul's flip flopping (see above).

On July 16, he travels further north, to suburban Woodbury County. He discusses immigration.

"Donald J. Trump is a nativist and xenophobe who supported the policy of kids in cages, who has supported building a wall on our southern border. He supports deportation (and so does Ron DeSantis). He has made a number of racist and xenophobic remarks about Hispanic Americans. He is also an Islamaphobe who in 2017 made an executive order banning travel to the US from seven nations, all of them Muslim-majority. I will never forget what Khizr and Ghazalia Khan did. Their son Humuyan fought in the ill-fated Iraq War and died while fighting in 2004. They stood up to Donald Trump's Islamaphobia and they called him out. They discussed their son's heroic action and they discussed Donald Trump's Islamaophobia. Khizr Khan even pulled out a copy of the Constitution and offered it to Donald Trump. We are a nation of immigrats and immigrants, all immigrants, Hispanic or not, Muslim or not, make this country better, make this country what it is. The Statue of Liberty has engraved on it a message of hope, telling all immigrants that this country is for the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to breath free. To achieve the American Dream and fulfill the promise the Statue of Liberty offers, we need to do a lot of things; we need to implement many changes and reforms. We need to be not building a wall seperating us from Mexico. We should be welcoming immigrants and refugees, refugees from places like Ukraine and Afghanistan. We should not be deporting longtime illegal immigrants who have not committed any crimes. We need to be granting them amnesty and a path to citizenship. We need to be making the immigration process easier. We need to reform this process. We need to pull illegal immigrants and their children out of the shadows. We need to end the policy of kids being seperated from their parents at the border and put in cages. We need to be compassionate. We need to fight xenophobia and nativism in all its forms.
As I already said, Donald Trump is a nativist, anti-immigrant, anti-refugee xenophobe. He supports kids in cages and he supports a wall on our southern border. Ron DeSantis is not much better. But for anybody who thinks all the Democrats running for president right now are all pro-immigrant and pro-reform, I have news for you. Kamala Harris and Kathy Hochul are NOT pro-immigrant. They lack compassion and they oppose reform. Kamala Harris told people in Central and South America in dire situations, 'Do not come.' Of course they shouldn't come illegally. But we should make the immigration process easier and we should allow in more refugees. We should treat these people facing poverty and proseuction with compassion. 'Do not come' is a comment that reflects well on Kamala Harris' empathy and how much she cares about these people. As for Kathy Hochul, she is not pro-immigrant like she says she is. Just like she's flip-flopped and done an about face on guns, she has flip-flopped and lied about her stance on illegal immigrants. She was not always for illegal immigrants. She fought against a law proposed by the Governor of New York that would give undocumented immigrants drivers' licenses. Don't get me wrong - the proposal had its flaws. But Hochul wanted to threaten illegal immigrants with arrest and deportation!"

Cooper will remain in Woodbury County for the evening. Tomorrow, he will meet with three state legislators from Sioux City who have endorsed them at multiple more rallies and town halls.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2022, 01:21:08 PM »

JULY 18 - Town halls and other campaigning: heading north through Plymouth, Sioux, Lyon Counties, Iowa, then campaigning east, in Osceola County, Iowa.

July 17 marks Cooper's second day in Sioux City. Today, he will hold three events in the city - the first with State Rep. Chris Hall, the second with State Sen. Jackie Smith, and the last with State Rep. Steve Hansen. After that and dinner in Sioux City, he will head north, to Plymouth County, where he will spend the night.

At his events, Cooper thanks the others for their endorsements and categorically slams the other candidates. Once again, he attacks Kathy Hochul for "taking a 180 degree turn" on guns and on immigration, calling her an "insincere, unprincipled career politician who will completely change her political views if she and her political handlers consider it politically expedient." He says: "The same anti-NRA Kathy Hochul we see now is that same Kathy Hochul we saw in 2012 touting an endorsement from the NRA. The same Kathy Hochul we see now advocating immigration reform wanted to deport illegal immigrants not too long ago." On Kamala Harris, he attacks her career as a prosecutor. "She prosecuted people and gave them long periods of time in jail for possessing a small amount of marijuana. She got them on marijuana convictions. Kamala Harris doesn't want marijuana decriminalized. She's thrown people in jail for using it!" On Liz Warren: "She's been off the campaign trail, and say what you will about Kathy Hochul and Kamala Harris, they agreed to put everything aside for a bit so we could meet together and collaboratively discuss climate change. They may be flip-floppers, but I will say that on the environment, I have full faith in both candidates, as well I should. I sincerely hope whether it's a Cooper presidency or a Harris presidency or a Hochul presidency or a Baldwin presidency, we'll see meaningful action taken to address climate change. And Harris and Hochul and Baldwin and seem to hope and want that, too. However, Elizabeth Warren didn't come. Fact is, she's been off the campaign trail. She has not connected with voters at all! Where's Warren? Nobody knows. Where's Warren?" "Nobody knows," the crowd shouts back. Several times, Cooper asks, "Where's Warren?", and each time, the crowd shouts back, "Nobody knows."

After that, Cooper departs to embark on the next leg of his journey through Iowa - he will now finally campaign across much of the state's northeastern quadrant. He begins this by heading into rural Plymouth County, where he spends the evening. Early on the morning of July 8, Cooper personally knocks on the doors of Plymouth County voters and asks them to vote for him, as well as making a little speech near the County Courthouse in Le Mars. He continues heading northward after that, to Sioux County. In Sioux Center, Cooper discusses policies that would help farmers. However, he departs for Iowa's northeasternmost county, Lyon, having lunch and waving at Sioux County voters while he heads north. Cooper arives in Lyon County in the afternoon. In the evening, he arrives in Osceola County, his final stop for the day. Here, he gives an impassioned speech about connecting with voters in rural Iowa and rural America. "I'm on a mission to meet with voters properly in each of Iowa's 99 counties. To visit rural Iowa. To be out there on the ground, personally meeting with rural Iowans and discussing their concerns. The fact is, no other candidate, Republican or Democrat, has done this. They'll go to all the big cities like Des Moines and Cedar Rapids and Dubuque and Iowa City and Davenport and Sioux City. Sure, they'll give rural Iowa a cursory visit. They'll send their surrogates down and within a few days, they'll be able to say they've visited each of Iowa's 99 counties. That rankles me. They have enough time to spend in urban and suburban areas, and with their donors, but they don't really want to visit rural Iowa. They view each day spent in counties like Kossuth and Crawford and Lucas and Butler and Howard and Fremont and Mahaka and Washington, as just a day wasted, a day not spent meeting with urban voters or meeting with donors for fundraisers. They can't be bothered to listen to the concerns of the small business owner in Harrison County, or the concerns of the farmer in Union County or Franklin County. How can we expect them to care for rural voters, to enact policies that will beneift them, if they won't even bother meeting them, asking them personally for their votes, asking them about their concerns and their families and their jobs. A few of my campaign advisors have told me I shouldn't bother spending so much time campaigning in little square-shaped Iowa counties that don't have very many people. And I told them, no. I told them, I want to meet with those voters properly. I want to spend a good amount of time talking to them personally. Because you all are the people that have been taken for a ride by career politicians. They take you for granted. They don't ever meet with you or address your concerns - or hell, even bother to ask about them - but they do want your vote. Aside from your vote, they don't care about you. I will not forget, I will never forget, my journey meeting rural Iowans. Whether I win or lose. I've met voters from different parts of the state. I still have a very long way to go, and believe me, I intend to meet voters and familiarized myself and get to know people properly in each of Iowa's 99 counties. I won't send surrogates so we can visit all 99 Iowa's counties in two or three days just so we can brag that we did, and then forget all about counties like Emmet and Clay and Lee and Ringgold and Taylor. I will let my campaign schedule do the talking. I've had the time of my life communicating with rural Iowans, and it's been a pleasure to meet you all. I promise you this: if I win the presidency, and even if I don't, I won't forget you or leave you behind. If I'm president, I will keep your concerns and your interests at high priority. I will enact policies to help all of you. I will not be another career politician who leaves you behind. I love you, Osceola County, and God Bless America!" He s given a standing ovation.  
Cooper spends the evening in Osceola County, and after breakfasting there, he leaves for O'Brien County, Osceola's southern neighbour.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2022, 09:06:48 PM »

JULY 19 - Town halls and other campaigning as the campaign traverses south through O'Brien and Cherokee Counties, Iowa, then east, into Buena Vista County, Iowa, for a rally. Campaigning with Atty. General Tom Miller at stop in Buena Vista County.
JULY 20 - Town hall and mini-rally whilst traversing east through Pocahontas, Humboldt and Wright Counties, Iowa.
JULY 21 - Campaigning across Franklin County, Iowa, with State Sen. Amanda Ragan of the 27th district.

On July 19, Cooper starts off in O'Brien County and then heads south, in Cherokee County. He hosts a town hall in Cherokee, Cherokee County. He answers questions where he reiterates his "unequivocal opposition to the death penalty, in all cases", among other things. By afternoon, he heads east for his final stop of the day, Buena Vista County. He meets with Attorney General Tom Miller and the the two hold a rally in Storm Lake. Miller explains why he's for Cooper and Cooper outlines some of the key points in his agenda - "comprehensive and thorough action to combat climate, including but not limited to the 17 points we shared in Miami," "reforming the immigration process so that it's a little less difficult to pursue the American dream", "making the rich pay their fair share by repealing the Trump tax cuts",  "tackling gun control and learning from our past mistakes to ensure massacres like Parkland and Uvalde never again occur in our nation's great schools", forgiving student debt, "adding on to Obamacare and providing coverage to more people", "raising the minimum wage and passing a national law against right to work laws", and more. "I hope you'll support me in my fight for all those things! Together, we can fight for all Americans."

The next day, Cooper continues his journey east. First stop is in Pocahontas County, then Humboldt County, and finally, the county of Wright. He focuses on electability today, stating in Eagle Grove, his final stop of the day, that he is more electable than "a VP with consistently underwater approvals" (Harris) and "somebody off the campaign trail who's more or less refused to meet with voters or campaign at all and has remained hidden from the public" (Warren). "Other than those two and me, we've got flip-flopping Kathy Hochul, who can't decide her own views on issues like the NRA and immigration, who's views change depending on the day of the week, and we've got Tammy Baldwin, who has based her entire career on lies and false promises."

On July 21, Cooper arrives in the county of Franklin. He dedicates the day to visiting all corners of the county, starting in the southwesternmost township, Oakland. He is with State Senator Amanda Ragan, of Senate District 27. "Amanda, thank you for your endorsement! Together, we'll champion healthcare, diversity, immigration reform, the climate, and gun control. We can do it. I have full faith in America. I will invest in America. I hope like Senator Ragan, you will all join me in my mission to fight for all Americans from all corners of the country. Because we can achieve the American Dream for all Americans. No more leaving behind anybody. We'll get the minimum wage increased, we'll fight right to work laws, and we'll get more people insured - we will expand Medicare and Medicaid and we will continue where Obamacare left off. I won't lie to you and promise you what won't happen, because I respect all of you, but our potential is great and we can, and we will, take far strides for this great nation - with not a single Iowan, not a single American, left behind! I will serve all Americans, from those in Maine to those in Hwaii; all Iowans, from those in Fayette County to those in Fremont County, from those in Lyon County to those in Lee County." He keeps a positive tone as he goes through the entire county meeting voters and giving speeches.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2022, 01:55:33 AM »

To Cooper: Would you support revisiting the Iran Nuclear Deal which former President Trump withdrew from in 2017?

Cooper: "Well, Megyn, to be perfect honest I'd consult military and foreign policy advisors and ask them if they still consider it prudent. But yes, I'd most likely give it another look. We do need better relations with Iran, I know that much. I would perhaps rework certain aspects depending on what advisors suggest, but I would definitely have an open mind on this. A nuclear deal is a good thing in theory. The key is ensuring Iran will keep its end of the bargaining. The way Trump just walked out on it represents much of his presidency - brash, unpredictable, volatile, reactionary. I would give it another look, like I said, but not making any promises at the moment."

To All: Would you consider mandated affirmative action in federal employment?

Cooper: "Honestly, no. I understand there are wrongs of the past we need to correct - systematic racism, sexism, discrimination, you get the picture. And I do support diversity. But I do also support merit and in general, I'd prefer looking more at merit only and less at applicant's race, or gender. That has no bearing on how they'd to their job. I will not mandate affirmative action, no. I think what you'd find in a merit-based system is that since men and women are equally capable, white people and nonwhite people are equally capable, we'd get a diverse group of people employed by the government, that represent this great nation, and who are well-qualified. Our government is best served with well-qualified people chosen on merit. These people will represent this great nation, I promise you that. And, moreover and more importantly, they'd be the best people for the job, the most qualified and most deserving. There is no need for affirmative action to favour one gender over another or one race over another. 'Mandated affirmative action' makes me think of quotas. Quotas discouraged selections based on merit and forced the parties selecting applicants to have to consider race and appoint a certain number. I don't think that's necessary. Hard work and merit should be what gets you a government job, not your race or gender. My office would review applications without any affirmative action or any bias or any racism - we would look only at merit, and at the applicant's experience and qualifications. Their race or gender would be of no relevance."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2022, 08:33:37 PM »

GOVERNORS COOPER, SCOTT AND HOCHUL, SENATOR BALDWIN AND VP HARRIS REVEAL 17 CLIMATE CHANGE SOLUTIONS ALL FIVE HAVE AGREED TO ENACT IF ELECTED

1. Subsidization of Solar Panels/Energy (tax breaks for homeowners who switch to Solar); more Government Investment in Solar Energy
2. Manufacturers who make mainly environmentally-efficient vehicles can receive tax incentives; manufacturers who make gas-guzzlers will be fined. People will also be given small tax breaks for buying certain cars that run on renewable energy.
3. Big businesses/factories will be held accountable for the smog they emit and carbon receipts issued. Companies that prove they are carbon-neutral get tax breaks; companies that still remain carbon-negative will at some point be fined and saddled with extra taxes.
4. Businesses cutting trees will be required to grow an amount equal or greater - those who are noncompliant will face large fines.
5. Government hires young unemployed people to clear up plastic and remove plastic from beaches and small water bodies.
6. Government investment in hydrogen for manufacturing in order to create green steel
7. A generous transition impact fund set aside to help former coal miners
8. Establishment of Energy Innovation Center
9. Heavy investment into rail networks - to help make roads less crowded and to decrease reliance on less environmentally friendly modes of transportation.
10. Department of Education works to having a mandatory climate change course taught in public schools nationally in middle or high school, so that there is raised awareness and knowledge of climate change in the next generation.
11. Getting a deal with China and/or India, the world's two most populous nations, to have them also work towards reducing greenhouse gas emmissions and slowly transition to renewable.
12. Widening or expanding lanes for walking or biking to encourage and allow more eco-friendly methods of commute.
13. Regulations on Bitcoin mining and NFTs.
14. $1 trillion in green infrastructure investment, modernizing the power grid and roads
15. A guarantee that all buses and public-owned buildings are carbon neutral by the year 2035
16. A pledge to have national carbon neutrality by 2050
17. Greater disaster relief funding and extreme weather insurance
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2022, 09:40:39 PM »

@RoyCooperNC on Twitter: "Donald Trump says Democrats want to steal your jobs and your money. We aren't stealing jobs, we're creating jobs, and unless you happen to belong to the top 1% of earners in this country, no, we don't want to raise taxes on you or 'steal your money,' as Trump puts it. WE are the party that will create jobs and will tax the rich their fair share, not tax the working-class and give tax breaks to just the top 1%, like Trump did in his 2017 tax cuts."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2022, 12:50:23 PM »

JULY 22 - In Cerro Gordo County, Iowa. He campaigns in Grant, Lincoln, Lake, Clear Lake, Union, Mount Vernon, Pleasant Valley and Grimes Townships with State Sen. Amanda Ragan of the 27th district, Lime Creek, Bath and Geneso Townships with State Rep. Sharon Sue Steckman of the 53rd district, and in Mason City proper with both Ragan and Steckman.
JULY 23 - In eastern Cerro Gordo County (Dougherty, Owen, Portland and Falls Townships, in that order) with State Rep. (and former House Minority Leader) Todd Prichard of the 52nd district, then campaigning east, through Floyd and Chickasaw Counties, with Prichard.

On July 22, Cooper campaigns across Cerro Gordo County, home to Mason City. He campaigns with State Sen. Ragan, as well as State Representative Sharon S. Steckman (D-HD53). He begins in Geneso Township (on the county's southern border, neighbouring Franklin County) with Rep. Steckman. He then enters Swaledell, Pleasant Valley Township, to campaign with Ragan, and the same in Burchinal, Mount Vernon Township. He temporarily takes leave of Ragan to campaign with Sue Steckman when he swings east to Bath Township. He continues campaigning with Steckman in southern Mason Township, but then enters Mason City limits, where he holds a rally with BOTH Ragan and Steckman. He gives a rousing speech about uniting the country and fighting for all Americans. He then heads west to Lake Township with Ragan, and then does the same up in Lincoln Township. He ends the day campaigning with Steckman in Lime Creek Township.

On July 23, Cooper campaigns with Rep. (and fmr. Min. Ldr.) Todd Prichard, starting off in Falls Township (Cerro Gordo County's northeasternmost township), progressing south through Portland, Owen and Dougherty Townships along Cerro Gordo County's eastern border, and then in Floyd and Chickasaw Counties. Prichard gives glowing praise to Cooper - "a committed fighter who has been the only candidate to show interest in listening to everyday Iowans, to speaking with them and campaigning with them in every corner of the state day in and day out, listening to their concerns and their opinions and putting them above donors" - as the day progresses, and Cooper thanks Prichard and praises him in turn. "Well," Cooper smirks when Prichard praises him at a rally in Charles City, "Being the best candidate in the race, Representative Prichard, isn't too tough, not when your opponents in the primary are candidates who get support from the NRA and want to deport illegal immigrants before claiming they support gun control and immigration reform; who prosecute people and land them in jail on marijuana convictions, but then say they're for marijuana; and who don't bother to campaign with anybody at all. There's simply not much competition!" The audience laughs.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2022, 03:20:11 PM »

[PLEASE NOTE: Cooper's response to the opioid crisis is assumed to have been made BEFORE Tammy Baldwin dropped out of the race. An exact date for Baldwin announcing she wasn't dropping out was unspecified, whereas the debate is known to have occurred July 29, 2023. Thus, the assumption is Baldwin exited the race after that date. Cooper's response to the question should be regarded as such, and as an attack at a rival, not an ex-rival.]

To All: Would you support reforming the Presidential Primary calendar to require the first states in the primary process to be more reflective of the party?

Cooper: "I have an open mind on this, frankly. Obviously Iowa's and New Hampshire's Democrats are not very representative of the national party, being less diverse, and more progressive. So I have an open mind on this matter and it would depend on the specific details of the proposal. But even if we were to do something, there would be a lot of limitations. New Hampshire, for instance, has a law whereby it must be the first state to host a presidential primary. I don't think we're getting around that; New Hampshire must be the first state to hold a primary."

To All: Do you support an open borders policy for immigration?

Cooper: "Very honestly, I don't think so. I'm all for immigration reform and making it easier for people to move here to pursue the American dream. Getting a Green Card, the whole immigration and citizenship process, should be revisited and it should be a little less difficult. Unlike Governor Hochul, I don't want to deport our illegal immigrants - I think amnesty for the children of illegal immigrants is certainly a better idea. And I one hundred percent oppose a border wall. But I don't think we should be going to the other extreme on this, very honestly. Open borders would be going a little too far for me personally."

To All: How will you address the ongoing opioid crisis?

Cooper: "This is a serious crisis. A report estimated that about one hundred and thirty people a day die from opioid-related drug overdoses. In the past two decades, 850,000 people have died from drug overdoses. In Tomah, Wisconsin, in 2014, Jason Simcakoski , a 35-year-old Marine Corps, died from opiate overdose. It was because of over-prescription. Senator Tammy Baldwin did nothing about this, even after that. There was an investigation into the Tomah VA by the Department of Veterans Affairs. But Senator Baldwin did nothing, throwing others under the bus and hiring fixer-lawyers as the situation grew ever worse. Jason Simcakoski's widow herself lay the blame with Baldwin for refusing to address this crisis. We need a leader in the White House who will take accountability for this crisis, take this issue seriously. I will be that leader. There will be investigations and inspections and better accountability and accounting regarding prescriptions. No more will people like Jason Simcakoski and their families suffer because of government oversight, government carelessness, and government incompetence. Our elected officials absolutely need to do something about this crisis, and unlike Senator Baldwin, I promise I won't pass the buck."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2022, 03:36:31 PM »

JULY 24 - In Fayette and Bremer Counties with Atty. General Tom Miller.

July 24. Cooper spends the morning with Attorney General Tom Miller in Fayette County County, before swinging west to Bremer County. Attorney General Miller hails Cooper "as the most honourable, the most liberal, the most electable, and the absolute best candidate for president" at a rally in Waverly, Bremer County. Cooper thanks Miller and discusses his liberal economic agenda: "When I'm president, we'll enact a progressive tax structure - not only will Trump's 2017 tax cuts for the rich be reversed, we'll further tax the top 1%. We will tax the 1% their fair share, once and for all. The middle-class needs to catch a break and the GOP doesn't want them to - they only want to enact self-serving tax cuts for the 1% who fund their campaigns. It's time for that to change! And Attorney General Tom Miller agrees with me. He's served Iowans for decades, and he wants the middle-class in places like Waverly to get their fair shake. We're going to rise taxes on the top 1% and we'll use that money so that we can help fix our public schools and expand upon Obamacare and Medicaid. It can be done. Don't listen to the GOP. They'll fight us tooth and nail, their billionaire donors will fight us tooth and nail, but as president, I will never waver in my fight for the middle-class!! Attorney General Miller knows this. Attorney General Miller agrees with me that it's well past time we truly fought for the middle class and stopped licking the boots of the top 1%. He wants this party to nominate somebody who can both win the presidency, and then fight for the middle class. And that's why he endorsed me. I will not disappoint him, nor the middle-class, nor the people of Iowa who trust me to fight for them and their interests and their children and grandchildren!"
Cooper had touched upon similar themes with Miller at his two short stops in next-door Fayette County: Oelwein (Fayette's largest city) and West Union (Fayette's county seat).

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2022, 04:52:22 PM »

JULY 25 - In Butler, Fremont, Dayton, Jackson, West Point, Coldwater, Bennezette, Pittsford, Madison and Washington Townships in Butler County (in exactly that order) with State Sen. Ragan, as well as the southernmost tier of townships in Franklin County from east to west (namely, Osceola, Grant, Lee and Oakland Townships, in that order).

Cooper begins July 25 in Butler County, the home county of longtime Republican Senator Charles Grassley. He is with Sen. Amanda Ragan. He begins his journey in Butler Township, then goes through Fremont, Dayton, Jackson, West Point, Coldwater, Benezette, Pittsford and Washington Townships. "My belief has always been that the American government should serve the people. It should serve the poor, the sick and the needy. It should serve as a beacon of freedom for people worldwide. All my life, I've wanted to help in pursuing those ideals. Right now, running for president, we have a lot of people who oppose those ideals. There is Donald Trump. He wants us to close ourself off from the rest of the world. He is a bigoted misogynist who has actively tried to assault our democracy as we know it. His presidency was an abject disaster. He stands counter to America's ideals of freedom and diversity and democracy. Ron DeSantis is also a bigoted homophobe and transphobe who as governor of Florida has done nothing to help Floridians, but has instead targeted trans people and gay people. We need to fight back hard against their bigoted, anti-democracy ideas, with our own ideals, our ideals of a government for the people, by the people, and of the people, a government that welcomes immigrants, a government that does not trample upon its own citizens. A government that only gives tax cuts to the rich, a government which targets its own citizens, a government which looks the other way to existential crises such as our gun violence epidemic and climate change - that is what we will get if we let the Republican Party win the White House. To quote Lyndon Johnson, "These are the stakes, to create a world in which all of God's children can live." You must understand - this is no ordinary election. In 2020, we came awfully close to letting Donald Trump remain in the White House. We are on the brink of letting him reenter at this time. We need a strong and liberal candidate to defeat him and fight for our values and our ideals and our principles. There is myself. But we also have candidates who've thrown people in jail for possession of marijuana, candidates who have supported deporting illegal immigrants, candidates who have accepted and bragged about NRA endorsements, candidates who haven't been on the campaign trail, and candidates who have looked the other way to the overprescription of opioids. Unlike Kamala Harris, I can win and don't have approvals in the tank, and I've never had a problem with adults recreationally using a little marijuana every know and then. Unlike Tammy Baldwin, I intend to seriously address the issue of the opioid crisis, and address problems such as overprescription. No more Marine Corps veterans will die because our government overprescribed them opioids and other drugs. Unlike Kathy Hochul, I will never cave to or cater to the NRA, and I will never, ever accept their endorsement, let alone tout it, as she did, nor try to deport illegal immigrants. Unlike Elizabeth Warren, I'll actually take our climate crisis seriously. Unlike all four of them, I will listen to all of you. Unlike all four of them, I care about people other than rich donors. The other four candidates haven't even bothered to give Butler County or any of rural Iowa much attention. They take your votes for granted. They figure, even if they lose your vote, it's all right, because they think they can win the caucuses by getting votes out of Des Moines and Cedar Rapids and Iowa City and they think they can just ignore the rest of the state. They do not value your concerns. They cannot be bothered to campaign out in rural Iowa - they'll send campaign surrogates, or they'll do a quick whistle-stop campaign to just get it done and over with in three or four days. Not me. America values each and every one of its citizens, and so do I. I will not forget any of the many people I've met on the campaign trail, the people I will meet on the campaign trail. I've listened to your concerns and when I'm in the White House, I promise to you I will not forget them. Your concerns matter to me infinitely more than whatever the donors might tell me. I won't pretend I don't care about what they say at all, but I care much more about the American people. Whether you'r rich or poor, gay or straight, male or female or nonbinary, black or white, urban or rural, and whether you vote for me or against me, I intend to serve you as president, and do the very best I can to build a better nation for you, and a better future for your children." The speech is recorded and is emailed to Cooper's supporters, and uploaded to his campaign's YouTube channel, where it quickly goes viral and racks up tens of thousands of likes and views. The Butler County Speech, as it is called, is the highlight of the day, but Cooper also does other campaigning. After departing from Butler County at around 4:50 PM CT, Cooper swings through southern Franklin County, from Osceola to Oakland Townships and everything in between. He spends the evening in little Oakland Township, Franklin County, Iowa.

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2022, 07:34:05 PM »

JULY 26 - Campaigning alone in northern Hardin County, then in Grundy County, then in southern Hardin County.
JULY 27 - Campaigning in Ames, Story County, Iowa (especially HD46) with State Rep. and Chair of the Iowa Democratic Party Ross Willburn.

July 26 is reasonably low-key, with Cooper hitting all the general campaign messages as he barnstormers solo through Hardin and Grundy Counties. While in Grundy County, Cooper does, however, make a bold promise: “The death penalty can be summed up in three words: ineffective, inhuman and irreversible. Thus, if I am elected president, I pledge here and now to ABOLISH THE DEATH PENALTY!!” This statement is included on campaign mailers.

July 27, in HD 27 in Ames, Story County, with State  Rep. and former chair of the Iowa Democrats, Ross Willburn. “I have full faith in Governor Cooper!” says Willburn. Cooper emphasises his plans to tackle student loans/debts and to enact student loan forgiveness.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2022, 01:01:02 AM »

JULY 28 - Heading west to spend the day campaigning in Boone County before returning to Ames to catch a flight to New Hampshire

Cooper campaigns in Boone County, Iowa. He discusses, once again, his plan to raise taxes on the top 1%. Cooper pledges: "When I'm president, we're going to finally make the 1% pay up!" He says in Boone (the county seat and largest city), "If you want a seat at the table, a voice in Washington and in the White House, there's one option. The Republicans, Trump and DeSantis, do not care about serving everyday Iowans. Their concerns lie with the 1% that fund their campaigns. And Harris and Hochul and Baldwin - they have not campaigned for your votes or met with any of you, either. They have 'campaigned' in Iowa's 99 counties within 3 days, apparently. They have considered themselves above meeting with Iowans who will be voting in next year's caucuses. They will meet only with people in big cities, and donors. They will not meet with hardworking, middle class Iowans in places like Boone. They don't want to. They will take your vote for granted, but they have not and never will be interested in your concerns! They want your vote, but they refuse to campaign for it or meet with Iowa, in person, themselves. For me, I don't consider it above me to go out into Iowa and meet in person with voters from all corners of the state. I consider it a privilege. I consider it a great privilege to meet with Iowans and ask their concerns. Their concerns will be my top priority in the White House. So my question for you is this, simply this: Do you want to vote for somebody who is not interested in meeting with you or hearing your concerns, somebody who'll forget you once they win the White House with your vote? Or somebody who has spent weeks and weeks personally meeting with voters, with people like you, hearing your concerns, someone who will places you and your concerns at very high value if they get elected president? Whether or not you vote for me, whether I win or lose, the concerns and the stories I've heard from rural Iowa will forever resonate with me. It saddens me that none of the other candidates took the time to personally meet with voters like I have, to give each of Iowa's 99 counties a proper visit, rather than a cursory one.  Because even if I lose this campaign, I will at least have the satisfaction of knowing that my campaign was for the people, of the people and by the people - of Iowa, and of America. Today, what I want to say is this: It has been a great pleasure to visit Boone and Boone County, to meet its hospitable people. Thank you, Boone!" Loud cheers. Cooper subsequently returns to Ames, from where he flies out to New Hampshire.

JULY 30 - Heads south via the Everett Turnpike to Nashua, to campaign with State Sen. Cindy Rosenwald (of the 13th district), who has given her endorsement.

After the debate in Goffstown in July 29, Cooper heads south via the Everett Turnpike. Arriving in Nashua, he spends the evening in a comfortable hotel, and the following day, he meets with State Senator Cindy Rosenwald (D-SD13). "It's good to be in New Hampshire!" Cooper says. He brings out the old line - "The weather may be cold, but my reception by Nashua has been warm!" He discusses his campaign agenda with the usual themes, and touts Rosenwald's endorsement: "Cindy Rosenwald has been a great representative for Nashua in the state legislature. I am honoured to have her endorsement in this race."

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2022, 05:59:33 PM »

ROY COOPER CAMPAIGN SCHEDULE, AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER 2023

NC (August 1-6)
August 1-6: In North Carolina

August 7: Flies from Raleigh to Las Vegas

NV (August 8-18)
August 8: Campaigning in Las Vegas alone
August 9: Campaigning in Las Vegas, with Rep. Dina Titus, who unveils her endorsement
August 10: Campaigning in Las Vegas, with Rep. Susie Lee, who unveils her endorsement
August 11: Fundraiser in Las Vegas with Lee and Titus
August 12: Campaigning & hosting town halls in Nye, Lincoln, Esmerelda, and Mineral Counties (one town hall and/or rally in Nye, Lincoln and Mineral, each, and driving through Esmerelda with one brief stop)
August 13: Campaigning in Lyon County
August 14: Campaigning in Douglas County
August 15: Campaigning in Carson City
August 16-17: Campaigning in Washoe County
August 18: Fundraiser in Reno

August 19: Flies from Reno to Council Bluffs

IA (August 20 - September 17)
August 20: In Pottawattamie County
August 21: Fundraiser in Council Bluffs
August 22: In Mills and Fremont Counties
August 23: In Page and Montgomery Counties
August 24: In Cass and Adair Counties
August 25: In Guthrie and Dallas Counties
August 26: Fundraiser in West Des Moines
August 27: In Boone and Hamilton Counties
August 28: In Webster and Calhoun Counties
August 29: In Sac and Ida Counties
August 30: In Crawford and Carroll Counties
August 31: In Audubon and Shelby Counties
September 1: In Cass and Adams Counties
September 2: In Taylor and Ringgold Counties
September 3: In Union and Clarke Counties
September 4: In Madison County
September 5: In Warren County
September 6: In Marion and Mahaska Counties
September 7: In Monroe and Lucas Counties
September 8: In Wayne and Decauter Counties
September 9: In Wayne and Appanoose Counties
September 10: In Davis and Wapello Counties
September 11: Takes the day off from campaigning
September 12: In Jefferson and Van Buren Counties
September 13: In Lee County
September 14: In Des Moines and Henry Counties
September 15: In Washington and Johnson Counties
September 16: Rally in Iowa City
September 17: Fundraiser in Iowa City

September 18: Flies from Iowa City to Portsmouth

NH (September 19-30)
September 19: Town hall in Portsmouth
September 20: Campaigning in Portsmouth with State Sen. Rebecca Kwoka, who reveals her endorsement
September 21: Fundraiser in Portsmouth
September 22: Campaigning in the rest of Rockingham County
September 23: Rally in Manchester
September 24: Fundraiser in Manchester
September 25: Rally in Nashua
September 26: Fundraiser in Nashua
September 27: Minirally in Keene with State Sen. Jay Kahne, who reveals his endorsement
September 28: Minirally in Lebanon with State Sen. Suzanne Prentiss, who reveals her endorsement
September 29: Town halls in Enfield, Canaan and Dorchester
September 30: Town halls in Lyme and Orford
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2022, 07:11:08 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2022, 01:33:39 AM by CentristRepublican »

August 12: Appear on Tucker Carlson and challenge Trump or Roy Cooper to a match at SummerSlam.
August 20: Storm Roy Cooper's rally in Pottawatomie County, IA with my supporters. We will advertise SummerSlam and my campaign. We will also throw Cooper off the stage because I'm Vincent Kennedy McMahon!!!

COOPER VS. McMAHON
Roy Cooper's visit to Council Bluffs was marred by right-wing political violence after Republican presidential aspirant Vince McMahon interrupted his rally and tried to take it down. However, Governor Cooper was undeterred by McMahon and his supporters: "I will not back down, Mr McMahon. If you think you can silence me and prevent me from meeting Iowans by raiding my rallies like this, you're wrong." Cheers erupted from Cooper's few supporters.

Two day after, he campaigned for votes in Mills and Fremont Counties: "Vince McMahon can't hurt me. He can't stop me. Nobody can stop me or this mission, because this is a crusade to let the people of Iowa have their voices heard, to give them the representation and the support they deserve but don't get. Vince McMahon is a coward who is unwilling to meet me on a debate stage or argue against my policy proposals. He knows they're right! He can't think of better alternatives - because the GOP's plan, which is to slash Social Security and Medicare to the bone, and give tax breaks to the 1%, isn't a plan that works for Iowa, or for America. That's why he'll storm my rallies and challenge me to SuperSlams. But I'm willing to challenge Mr McMahon to something that requires much more than just brawn: I'm challenging him to a face-to-face, one-on-one, mano-a-mano debate where we can see who has the better ideas and platform to help Iowa! And if he doesn't accept, then it just goes to show there's a coward behind all those muscles and that body." Cooper also added - "We need someone with more than just a body in shape - we need somebody with a  brain behind that brawn, somebody with constructive ideas to help Americans."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2022, 07:36:16 PM »

TOWN HALL IN PORTSMOUTH
Highlights

ATTENDEE: "Governor Cooper, my son turned eighteen this year and was supposed to begin college a week back. He's gotten great grades and he's really excited to go to a good college. However, although we really want to help him go to the college of his dreams, we're very worried about the cost. Both my wife and I work multiple jobs, but we still can't scrape together enough money to send him to college. We're very wary of taking on student loans, and we really want to send our son to college, but we simply can't afford it. Do you have a plan regarding this issue?"

COOPER: "Well, sir, I'm glad you asked this question. First off, I truly sympathise with your predicament. Millions of American families have this dilemma, and are forced to choose between not sending their children to college, or having to take on tons of debt in student loans and working multiple jobs. Education should be a right, not a privilege. A Cooper Administration will enact a comprehensive agenda to tackle this issue, because this issue is of very high priority to me. Specifically, we would firstly take a leaf from President Biden's book and do what he did last year on a larger scale. He forgave a limited amount of student debts. Well, we'd go further. I pledge here and now that if elected, I will eliminate and forgive all currently standing student debt. We have seniors who, because of the way the loans work and the high interest, are still having to set aside money from their Social Security paycheque to pay towards their student loans. It's crazy, and it has got to stop. However, to ensure that this problem does not repeat itself, we would also establish thousands of free community colleges, nationwide. Your son would have the opportunity to attend one of these colleges - we'd have some in New Hampshire, perhaps one right here in Portsmouth. This would provide an alternative that does not involve choosing between no higher education and a truckload in student debt. It would also force colleges' hand and force them to lower their prices to remain competitive and not lose out on students. This way, your son would be guaranteed a path to some college, at either little or no cost to you, and without any need for student loans. Not only would your son benefit from this, but so would millions of college-age young people, and their parents, who face a similar struggle."

ATTENDEE: "I heard that in South Carolina, Eric Adams has accused you of flip-flopping on immigration and possibly supporting open borders. What exactly is your position on immigration and do you or do you not support open borders?"

COOPER: "Thank you for the question, ma'am. (Laughs) Well, I heard what Mayor Adams said too, and quite frankly I'm surprised. Either Mayor Adams is deliberately distorting the truth and misrepresenting what I said, or he doesn't understand what open borders means. My position has been consistent all along. I support a legal pathway to immigration for those illegal immigrations who've been living in the shadows out here for decades, who've led honest lives and not committed any crimes. I support their children, Dreamers, getting a fair shake. I think we should welcome immigrants and refugees and make the immigration process easier and more straightforward, so the incentive for illegal immigration is lower. I oppose a border wall. I oppose putting kids in cages and separating families at the southern border. I also oppose the other extreme, open borders, and very clearly said as much at the debate. Now in contrast, you've got Mayor Adams, who either doesn't understand how open borders work and what I've said on the subject, or who is deliberately lying about this. Mayor Adams: there is a difference between supporting amnesty for illegal immigrants who've lived here for decades in the shadows and who've not committed any crimes, and supporting open borders. I support the former, and just as strongly oppose the latter. And you've got Governor Kathy Hochul. Governor Hochul has previously supported deporting illegal immigrants, a move, which as I said, I strongly oppose, and which prompted Mayor Adams to accuse me of supporting open borders. Hochul also threatened to arrest and deport illegal immigrants who applied for drivers' licenses. Now, as she's realised it's politically expedient, she's had a 180 degree turn on immigration, had a complete about-face. She is the one who's flip-flopped on this issue, who's not been consistent, Mayor Adams - not me. This is quite evident, and why you'd try to turn the tables on me is something I'd be interested in knowing. My question is this: If she's in the White House, which Kathy Hochul will we have? The one who supports deporting illegal immigrants, or the one who supports proper immigration reform? We cannot trust Kathy Hochul on this issue, frankly. She has been as inconsistent on this subject as I've been consistent. I hope this answers your question fully, and once again: I am one hundred percent opposed to open borders, and I made this crystal clear at the most recent Democratic debate."  
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2022, 07:37:18 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2022, 07:43:24 PM by CentristRepublican »

Gov. Roy Cooper's Campaign Schedule
OCTOBER 1, 2023 - NOVEMBER 14, 2023

NEW HAMPSHIRE (October 1 to October 17)

Roy Cooper concluded September hosting town halls in Grafton County. As September draws to a close and October dawns, Cooper picks up exactly where he left off - literally - bobbing up and down western New Hampshire and hosting dozens of town halls, in towns from Haverhill, Croydon, and Langdon to Roxbury, Westmoreland, Dummer and Stratford. He also picks up endorsements from New Hampshire local politicians: after completing his town hall tour of western New Hampshire (which involved town halls in 25 towns in Coos, Grafton, Cheshire and Sullivan Counties), Cooper heads out east. First, he is in Merrimack County, home to the state capitol of Concord. In Concord, he hosts a large rally with State Senator Becky Whitley, who represents the Concord-centric 15th Senate district in the State Senate. He then heads down south to the most urban and populous county in the state, Hillsborough. He spends multiple days in the largest city in the state - Manchester. He holds multiple rallies where he accepts the endorsements of two more State Senators, Donna Soucy (18th district) and Lou D'Allesandro. He remains in Manchester for a small fundraiser that evening (which both Soucy and D'Allesandro attend), before heading out for his final stop - Dover, in eastern Strafford County, where he accepts the endorsement of State Senator David Watters. Incredibly, as Cooper notes, this means that ALL Democratic State Senators from New Hampshire have now endorsed Cooper's campaign and have campaigned with him. Cooper quips, "Though having the support of so many of New Hampshire's grassroots liberal fighters certainly feels good, I think winning the primary out here will feel even better!" The next day, Cooper heads south, taking a flight from Portsmouth to Washington, thus concluding his time (for now) in the Granite State.

Excerpt from speech at rally in Dover

You know, it's remarkable, that every single Democrat in the State Senate here in New Hampshire, has given me their endorsement...Though having the support of so many of New Hampshire's grassroots liberal fighters certainly feels good, I think winning the primary out here will feel even better!...New Hampshire's Democratic politicians want somebody in the White House who will fight for a woman's choice, who will transition to Green Energy, who'll give tax breaks to the middle-class instead of the top 1%, who will make college an affordable, realistic reality, rather an an inaccessible and unrealistic, out-of-reach dream for so many, who will stand up for workers, who will champion gun control rather than brag about an NRA endorsement, who will fight for legalising weed at a federal level so New Hampshirites can use it recreationally, rather than lock 'em up for doing so. Let me tell you, we are at a crossroads. Roe was overturned and since then, we've seen half the states pass laws banning the practice. It's crazy. This is not a race we can afford to lose, to give to the Republicans. Simply too much is at stake to nominate a Vice-President with a 28% approval. Simply too much is at stake to take the risk and nominate somebody with a dubious record on guns and immigration. Simply too much is at stake, with Roe no longer in force, to nominate a candidate who's been endorsed by the only anti-choice Democrat in the House of Representatives. We need a committed liberal fighter who can win this thing, and then serve all New Hampshirites, fight for all 'em and give 'em all a fair shake. We CAN and we WILL legalise weed! We CAN and we WILL end the death penalty! We CAN and we WILL fight for healthcare for all! To do all those things, we need somebody who can and win, who can fight for those things, who can defeat the Republicans.

WASHINGTON DC (October 18)

Interview with Joy Reid on ReidOut.

NORTH CAROLINA (October 19 to October 26)

After a long time away from home, Cooper returns to Raleigh to tend to gubernatorial duties and spend time with family. After 6 days in Raleigh, Cooper swings south to a fundraiser in Charlotte.

Excerpts from comments in Charlotte

You all know me. You all live right here in North Carolina. Before your very eyes, you can see all of what I've done. I have been the single thing stopping Republicans from letting COVID19 spread to uncontrollable levels, in their banning abortion in North Carolina, in their attempts to suppress voting rights, in all of it. If I can win in a state that consistently votes more than 5 points more Republican than the country, I can win nationally, too. It's certainly better than nominating an unpopular VP with an approval rating less than 30%, isn't it? The stakes of the race are sky-high. Republicans win the White House, they can pass national legislation on abortion. They can appoint even more right-wingers the court. That's obviously not what we want, but it's what we get if we nominate somebody like Harris, somebody like Hochul. Hochul couldn't even choose a non-corrupt lieutenant governor in one try - who's to say she doesn't make a similar mistake in picking a running mate? Eric Adams is an attractive candidate when first observed, but frankly, he's covered in controversies and gaffes. He has a failed record. He's increased police presence - so, rightly so, BLM activists are more than a little weary of him - and nonetheless NYC has sky-high crime rates. My point is this: either we move this country towards sanity, or we allow the GOP to win the White House, and enact even more of their destructive agenda. I stepped into this race partly because Roe got overturned. The GOP is clearly accomplishing their dystopian agenda. We need to stop 'em from getting any further. We do! And that's why, we need an electable but liberal fighter. You all know me, you know my track record. Have some faith in me. I'll win the primary here in the Tar Heel State, no doubt about that. But just one state down, down in South Carolina, you have Eric Adams gaining on me. Frankly, he wins in South Carolina, I don't see a realistic path to winning the primary. I'd say the Palmetto State is as much of a must-win for me as it was for Joe Biden. Every little dollar helps if we're going to prove to South Carolina Democrats that I'm the right choice, my friends. Give as much money as you think fit. Any amount is appreciated and will go a long way in spreading the message and getting me more support.

SOUTH CAROLINA (October 27 to November 14)

[OOC Note: All of the endorsees of Cooper this round are African-Americans.]

Cooper leaves Charlotte and heads directly south, into Lancaster County, South Carolina. He holds a small rally in Lancaster, nearly the Lancaster County Original Courthouse. Cooper heads east thereafter, to Chesterfield County. In Chesterfield, the county seat, he meets with Chesterfield County native State Senator Gerald Malloy. Malloy gives his endorsement.He and Malloy parade across Malloy's State Senate District (the 29th district), heading through Chesterfield, Marlboro, Darlington and Lee Counties. In Lee County, Cooper also accepts the endorsement of Ennis Bryant, Sr, the mayor of the county's largest city, Bishopville. Cooper returns to Darlington County to campaign with another Democratic State Senator - Kent Williams of neighbouring District 30. With Williams, he traverses Florence, Dillon, Marion and Horry Counties, too. Cooper departs from District 30 alone and heads down the South Carolina coast, into Georgetown County. He heads across the county and into Charleston County, home to South Carolina's largest city - Charleston. Cooper has already accepted the endorsement of Mayor John Tecklenburg, and campaigns with him, but he also accepts the endorsement of four other Charleston County Democrats - County Councillors Teddy Pryor, Henry Darby, Kylon J. Middleton, and Anne Johnson. He discusses how climate change will stike the South Carolina coast and "utterly ravage Charleston if left unaddressed." He discusses the bipartisan climate change meetings (also subtly mentioning that he had taken the initiative to propose it) and their outcome, and promises that, "despite what the court's ruled, the EPA will continue to fight pollutants and polluters who think they can get away with filling the air in our cities with smoke." He hosts a small fundraiser as well. He then travels across Colleton County, before appearing in Bamberg County, home to Nikki Haley's hometown of Bamberg. He is here endorsed by five local politicians: Bamberg's mayor, Nancy Foster, and three Bamberg County Councillors (Sharon Hammond, Larry Haynes, Jonathan Goodman and Spencer Donaldson). He swings to neighbouring Allendale County, the blackest and most liberal county in the state, where he accepts the endorsement of County Councillors Theresa Taylor and William Robinson, and holds a mini-rally and town hall. From there, he visits Columbia, the state capitol, with a large rally. He also then attends a fundraiser with many working- and middle-class attendees. "Look, I get it," he says. "Two of the candidates in the primary are African-American. I understand that some African-American Democrats in South Carolina are quite tempted to support Harris or Adams. But consider this: both of them are urban Democrats, one from New York City, the other from the west coast, from San Francisco. I, on the other hand, am the Carolinian candidate, the rural candidate, the candidate who's pulled out all the stops here in South Carolina and gotten endorsements from local and state politicians. I am the candidate who will fight for South Carolina and its people. I won't forget you. I won't entice you with big promises I won't keep, because I share your struggle, and will, if elected, lead the fight for the working class and the poor, and that includes millions of people in South Carolina, who have been left out in the past and will continue to be left out in a Harris or an Adams presidency. That's precisely why so many local Democrats from South Carolina have given me their endorsement. Notice that the same can't be said of Harris or Adams. So look, though I understand the temptation to support Kamala Harris or support Eric Adams - I am in fact the candidate for the Carolinas, and the candidate who will fight for Carolinians." He leaves Columbia after that, for nearby Fairfield County. Here, two county councillors, Shirley Greene and Timothy Roseborough, endorse him at two mini-rallies. His last stop in the state is in Greenville - where, at a large rally where Cooper discusses his anti-poverty programs and promises to a.) raise taxes vastly on the rich, b.) reduce taxes on the poor, c.) expand on government programs to help the poor and d.) increase funding for Medicaid ("Just like I fought for Medicaid up in North Carolina"), he also accepts his final endorsement for now - that of Mayor Lillian Brock-Fleming.

State Senator Kent Williams' Endorsement Announcement (Cooper also airs an ad in the Columbia area which shows a list and images of every South Carolina Democrat who's endorsed Cooper, with Williams' endorsement announcement a loud voiceover in the background)

I'm endorsing Governor Cooper because, unlike Hochul and Adams, he's not a New York Democrat. He's a fellow Carolinian, he's one of us, and he'll fight for South Carolinians and North Carolinians when he's in the White House. I have a great deal of faith in Governor Cooper. The people of Senate District 30 have been very kind to me in reelecting me over the years. They appreciate somebody who fights for them and not just the donor class. They support government that'll stand for them and fight for them and land them a hand too. That's precisely the government Governor Cooper supports, and has fought for over the years. The other candidates, you know, New York Democrats, San Francisco Democrats, they talk smooth, they talk big fish, they promise big things, make promises they'll never keep. Governor Cooper is different. He's a fellow Carolinian, he's one of us, and I have complete trust in him to stand up and fight for the working class. Anybody who supports me should support Governor Cooper, too, because he and I stand for the same things.

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2022, 10:10:23 PM »

Cooper's Schedule, November 15-30

Cooper arrives in Las Vegas on November 15 and campaigns in the area on the 15th and 16th, touting the endorsements of and campaigning with Congresswomen Susie Lee and Dina Titus. At a rally with Titus, Titus praises him, saying: "Roy Cooper is genuine, capable, electable, and consistent. He has my full endorsement for the presidency, and I have perfect faith that he'll do what's right for Las Vegas and for America. We cannot make the mistake of choosing the wrong nominee, and that's why we have to choose Roy Cooper for the Democratic Party presidential nomination." Lee gives a full-throated endorsement, too: "I endorsed Roy Cooper because Cooper's the best pick. He can win, and he's a genuine progressive with the right ideas. He will fight to implement those ideas in the White House." On the night of the 16th, he flies to the Democratic debate in Arizona. He returns to Las Vegas on the 18th. Here, he campaigns further with Lee and Titus, but the endorsement of North Las Vegas State Assemblywoman Daniele Monroe-Moreno is also revealed: "I endorse Governor Cooper because if he's elected, he will do much in the way of helping the working class of North Las Vegas. We need allies in our fight for justice, and having one in the White House would be nice. Roy Cooper is just the man to be that ally in the White House, and we'd be missing out on a great opportunity by not choosing him." Cooper spends the next several days campaigning in Clark County - town halls, rallies and fundraisers. On the 25th, Cooper flies up to Reno to accept the endorsement of and campaign with State Assemblywoman Sarah Peters (who represents downtown Reno). Peters says: "Cooper's a solid and consistent liberal. I'm proud to endorse him for president." All women stress that Cooper is a consistent liberal on abortion. Lee remarks, "We need more liberal justices on the Supreme Court to get Roe back. We cannot compromise Roe." Peters says, "The issue of abortion is one of the big reasons I'm endorsing Roy Cooper. He will choose solid pro-choice judges for the Supreme Court, who will support a woman's right to choose." Titus says, "We cannot compromise this race. Cooper can win - a vice president with abysmal approvals, frankly, cannot. If the GOP reclaims the White House, we get an even more conservative court, and who knows what other disastrous rulings we might then get on abortion and other issues?!" Monroe-Moreno also says, "The importance of a less conservative court cannot be over-emphasised. We need a Democrat to win the White House this November, so electability is important." Cooper spends a few days in Reno, then flies out to Raleigh on the 28th and spends the remainder of the month their, tending to gubernatorial duties and spending time with family.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2022, 11:19:44 PM »

"THis campaign has been noted for being an aggressive one between the candidate, nt unlike the last three contested Democratic primaries. Will you, regardless of who it is, support the eventual nominee?"

COOPER: "Oh, absolutely, Lester. Our commonalities far outnumber and outweigh our differences, and the number one priority right now has got to be to stop the Republicans and their destructive agenda. If I don't win the nomination, regardless of which of the candidates win it, I pledge here and now that I will one hundred percent get behind them and support them. In fact, I'll actively campaign for them in North Carolina."

"The Senate filibuster remains intact and is seen as one of the major reason why President Biden has been unable to pass the legislation he campaigned on in 2020. Would you as President advocate for Senate Democrats to remove the filibuster?"

COOPER: "Of course. The filibuster was never made to function like this. The filibuster as it's being used - or rather, abused - today is absolutely not how it should be in a democracy. The minority in the Senate should not be able to obstruct the majority in this way. Now I acknowledge when in the minority, we Democrats have also sometimes engaged in this, but the point remains that the majority in the Senate should be allowed to get votes on legislation. Filibustering means we end up with a do-nothing Senate where any meaningful legislation never gets a final vote. That's absolutely not how it should be in a democracy. We need a Senate that acts in a way that benefits the American people, not a Senate that never gets around to doing anything productive because Mitch McConnell doesn't want it to. Let me tell you, without the filibuster Biden and the Senate would've gotten even more stuff done for the American people. I would absolutely support this and I really hope we are able to get the votes in the Senate to abolish the filibuster, once and for all, because it's both undemocratic and unproductive."

"Governor Cooper, you've run an very aggressive campaign for the nomination, and previous Democratic primiaries run in this fashion tend to generate feelings of animosity within the party. Are you at all afraid of causing the 2016 primary to re-manifest?"

COOPER: "In 2016, Democratic infighting played a major role in electing Trump president. This year, if it happens, we either get Trump or DeSantis, both of whom are absolutely terrible. So I certainly hope all my supporters will, and urge them to, vote for the eventual Democratic nominee, whomever that may be. As I said, the top priority is stopping the Republicans. All of us candidates are in agreement on most issues, and all of us will do much more good for the American people than Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump. We cannot afford to get a Republican in the White House. I obviously hope I win the primary and I've been attacking the others because they're not as consistent or as likely to win as I am, but should I lose, I, as I said, will give a full-throated endorsement of and campaign for the winner of the primary, and I'd also urge all my supporters to then move past the primary and focus on the general, and focus on keeping the White House. We need liberal judges who'll support a woman's right to choose. We need legislation and White House action to support climate change - the many ideas we came up with when we came together, for instance. We need to tax the rich their fair share. We need to do all these things, and much more, and all of my supporters should ultimately prioritise that and those values. Those come first."

(ANSWERS FOR OTHER DEBATE QUESTIONS TO COME LATER)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2022, 06:10:58 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2022, 06:15:25 PM by CentristRepublican »

"Governor Cooper, you've run an very aggressive campaign for the nomination, and previous Democratic primiaries run in this fashion tend to generate feelings of animosity within the party. Are you at all afraid of causing the 2016 primary to re-manifest?"

COOPER: "In 2016, Democratic infighting played a major role in electing Trump president. This year, if it happens, we either get Trump or DeSantis, both of whom are absolutely terrible. So I certainly hope all my supporters will, and urge them to, vote for the eventual Democratic nominee, whomever that may be. As I said, the top priority is stopping the Republicans. All of us candidates are in agreement on most issues, and all of us will do much more good for the American people than Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump. We cannot afford to get a Republican in the White House. I obviously hope I win the primary and I've been attacking the others because they're not as consistent or as likely to win as I am, but should I lose, I, as I said, will give a full-throated endorsement of and campaign for the winner of the primary, and I'd also urge all my supporters to then move past the primary and focus on the general, and focus on keeping the White House. We need liberal judges who'll support a woman's right to choose. We need legislation and White House action to support climate change - the many ideas we came up with when we came together, for instance. We need to tax the rich their fair share. We need to do all these things, and much more, and all of my supporters should ultimately prioritise that and those values. Those come first."

I'm sorry, I have to jump in here. Governor Cooper, there's a big difference between critiquing the candidates for their policies and what you've been doing. You just put out an ad in South Carolina saying that "New York Democrats" like Governor Hochul and I and "San Francisco Democrats" like Vice President Harris can't be trusted just because we're from a different region. This stinks of Ted Cruz and his "New York values" line from 2016 that Trump, to his credit on this one thing, pushed back on. Are you going to apologize to us tonight on this divisive rhetoric and pull down that ad?

As far as claiming to be consistent? C'mon, man. You claimed in a recent rally that you'll legalize marijuana, but you told the press you were against legalization in 2019. Did you have another change of heart or are you just trying to buy some more voters again?

COOPER: "You got me there, Eric. But you have to see the rest of the picture, too. In 2020 - long before I even made the decision to run for president, I signed into law a bill legalising prescription drugs containing both marijuana and THC should they be approved by the FDA. I have supported measures decriminalising or legalising certain drugs. Yes, I did at one point make a comment against marijuana legalisation. But you'll see that since then, not just my words but action have shown that I've moved to the left on this issue. That law is one example, and so is another law, decriminalising the possession of half an ounce of marijuana or less. And if that seems puny to you, just remember North Carolina and its legislators are much more conservative than those in New York. I believe in progress, and whatever reform I got, I took. I signed into law the legislation on this issue that came to my desk. Do I wish I could've done even more on this issue? Yes, absolutely, but you gotta work with what you have, and small steps are what I was able to achieve given that North Carolina's legislature is run by Republicans. Now, speaking of New York and San Francisco, no, I will not apologise for my remarks. I will instead seek to clarify them for you. As a fellow Carolinian, I relate to South Carolinians in a way that New Yorkers and Californians could not possibly. They have a special place in my heart, because I am one of them. I have little doubt that you would if elected support policies that'd help Carolinians along with all other Americans, but for me, I would definitely care about them in a special way and have their priorities as my priorities. Not to say I'd only focus on Carolinians, but to say that they would absolutely never be forgotten by me...how could they be, when I, my wife, my children, my colleagues in Raleigh, are all Carolinians? They would absolutely be supported and represented and remembered better in a Roy Cooper presidency than in a Harris or a Hochul or an Adams presidency. The reason South Carolina was given special attention four years back was because it was a key primary battleground for Joe Biden. He had to make promises to win Clyburn's endorsement and the primary, and to his credit, he kept 'em. South Carolina is highly important to me too, but not because I want to win it or for political purposes it all, but because I consider it a second home and its people to be fellow Carolinians. It's the same as saying that Harris is a better candidate for California as a Californian, or that you and Kathy Hochul are better candidates for New York as fellow New Yorkers. I do genuinely believe that I have a special relationship and a special bond with South as well as North Carolina, that you and Hochul as New Yorkers and and Kamala Harris as somebody from across the country simply do not. I will make it a top priority to deliver to Carolinians, make sure they aren't forgotten or left behind for any reason whatsoever. You or Hochul or Harris may say that too, but that's to win votes, and when I say it, I say it in a very genuine way - not because I want to win their votes, but because I want them to remember I'm one of them and they do and always will be special to me and at the top of my mind, both now and if I'm elected to the White House."

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2022, 06:30:26 PM »

Before we move onto questions, I will ask each candidate to make an opening statement."[/i]

COOPER: "Thank you, Lester, and thank you to Arizona State University for hosting this debate. I'm excited to discuss and debate with the other candidates tonight on policy, this campaign, and what we'll enact if elected. Look, I started this campaign because I knew this presidential race will be pivotal for Americans. For women who are having their reproductive rights oppressed and denied, and who need presidents who will appoint judges that support a woman's right to choose. For the LGBTQ+ of this nation who've been targeted by Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis and who need an ally in the White House, not an enemy. For the working class of this country who want to be paid more than nine bucks an hour while their employers are paid hundreds as much. For the elderly in this country, who have serious health concerns and who need to see Medicare and Social Security expanded and intact, not repealed or reduced. For our youth, who need good healthcare, good education, and good nutrition, who need to be taught to love, not to hate. I entered this race for all those Americans. I was first elected to the North Carolina legislature, where I served for fourteen years; then, as Attorney General for another sixteen. North Carolinians came to recognise me as a straight talker, as somebody who'd fight for them, somebody who'd not forgotten his roots. And in 2016, I abandoned my safe position as AG to challenge a governor that had signed into a law the blatantly transphobic bathroom bill. I did that because I was taught as a kid that bigotry and discrimination was not okay, was never okay. And I was appalled that our governor was doing this. What would the kids in our state think? That it was okay to discriminate and to hate LGBT kids? I stepped into the race to say no, bigotry and discrimination and hate and transphobia is not what North Carolina stands for. And I was elected. Now, that same question needs to be asked about America. Because Ron DeSantis has supported legislation similar to our state's former bathroom ban - which, by the way, I've repealed - that alienates and targets the LGBT population in his state. He is somebody who, if elected, will try and separate Americans and divide Americans, just like he did back in Florida. He is somebody who will try and fill Americans' hearts with hate. Same goes for Donald Trump, who Lindsey Graham, now a staunch supporter, described best when he called him a "race-baiting xenophobe." Donald Trump is a racist, sexist, bigoted Islamaphobe, and we as a country need to stand up to him and defeat him and his ideology of hate. That's why I am now running for president. To win the nomination, to defeat Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis and their entire party and show them that Americans will not stand for hate and division, and to in the White House take our country in a direction such that all Americans get what they deserve."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2022, 06:37:14 PM »

"In recent years, the Biden administration has continued the national pivot towards China, but recent actions by Russia, including the invasion of Ukraine in 2022, have left many questioning the wisdom of such actions. Would you continue the with strategic pivot to China, or refocus on Europe?"

COOPER: "Honestly, Lester, Mayor Adams is absolutely right in saying we need to keep our eye on the ball and focus on both Europe and China at the same time. We cannot cave into either China and its human rights abuses, or to the similarly abusive Russia as it tries to invade Ukraine unheeded. As far as Russia-Ukraine is concerned, the key is to hold the course. We absolutely do not need to send in American troops, but that doesn't mean we should cave into Russia like Trump would want us to. We need to keep up the sanctions and the embargoes and alienate Russia, and continue sending supplies to Ukraine. As far as China is concerned, as Teddy Roosevelt said: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick.' China knows we're not messing around and have the power to act. We need to be firmer with China, while ensuring we never act hostile. We need to make China lay off Taiwan and start scaling back its human rights abuses. I'm under no illusions that we can transform China into a complete democracy, but I do think if we're a little more frank and a little more insistent with China, we can achieve some progress there. Again, as Eric said, our focus needs to be trained on both those places. We're not going to abandon Ukraine or Taiwan, and we aren't caving into China or Russia, let me tell you that."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2022, 07:44:26 PM »

CONCLUDING REMARKS -

"Well, it's been a pleasure to be here tonight and engage with the other candidates. Once again, thank you to Lester Holt and Arizona State University. I'd also like to thank all those in the audience and who tuned in to the debate elsewhere for watching, as well as all candidates who joined the debate. We have much to do for the good of this nation, and we need to have the right ideas for that. It's always good to take our case to the American people and clarify our positions and what we stand for. That is what we did tonight, and hopefully we'll have more opportunities to do this in the future. So thank you to Lester Holt, Arizona and Arizona State University and the Commission on Presidential Debates! Thank you, good night and god bless America!"

“I will absolutely support the Democratic Nominee whoever they may be and I can’t wait to campaign for Kamala Harris in 2024 but-” (laughs) But I don’t want to point fingers or say names but there is a candidate on this stage that has done more dividing than uniting, now-” (pauses as audience “ooos”)

“I want to talk about the issues that matter to average Americans, like the high crime rates in states like North Carolina, or the failing education system in (pretends to check notes) (laughs) also North Carolina” (Turns towards Cooper) “Now, Governor Cooper, you not only name dropped me but you also name dropped Mayor Adams in a way that is not only disrespectful to our campaigns but to our supporters who you will need if you want to be our next President, we need a nominee that cares about winning right just as much as they care about winning big. As for the issue of popularity, Democratic voters don’t care what the media’s latest snapshot in time says, or how big your victory was in 2020, we get it, you got 51% and it was very impressive (sarcastically laughs), they want to know that their next President is going to do everything possible to put food on their table, and money in their pockets. Joe Biden and I took office during a hard time for America, Covid-19, high inflation, high gas prices, but we persevered every day to make sure that we could leave America better off than how we found it, we won that battle. And I think that the people watching this debate know who’s spewing talking points, and who is doing the second hardest job in the world, which yes, sometimes can affect poll numbers negatively. And for what it’s worth, I think you’re swell, Mayor Adams! I look forward to working with you if you’re our nominee! (Laughs)”

COOPER: "Well I think that's not right, Vice-President Harris, and you should know better. First of all, yes, there's much to do in North Carolina. But we've made a lot of progress in our great state. We have a long way to go, but it's crazy to discard or ignore the great progress we've made. Of course it was difficult. We had to undo the damage that Governor McCrory and the Republicans caused in our state, and we had to work with - or rather, around - that same Republican legislature to do so. And even with those great barriers and obstacles, there's a whole lot that we together were able to achieve. We repealed the transphobic bathroom law. We legalised marijuana and THC in medicinal use. We expanded healthcare. In short, we've done a great deal, with a limited amount of power in a state with a GOP legislature. Take shots at me as much as you like. Mayor Adams has done that - he's attacked my positions on issues where my position has changed. That's very fair. However, attacking my state, attacking North Carolina, is very low and simply unacceptable. If you ask me, it should be off limits to attack another candidate's state or city this brazenly. But if you want to go there, if you want to go into crime rates, okay. I could say a lot about California or San Francisco, too. In fact, California has a higher violent crime rate than North Carolina. San Francisco's crime rates are higher across the board than North Carolina, than Raleigh, than Charlotte. Both Raleigh and Charlotte are judged to be significantly safer than San Francisco, which is less safe than 96% - yes, you heard that right, 96% - of cities in America. In fact, San Francisco's property crime rate is over double Raleigh's, and 33% higher than Charlotte's. Speaking about our public records, which I think is more relevant than our respective state's or cities statistics. While you threw people in jail for marijuana possession, I in North Carolina - a much redder state - signed into law a bill legalising marijuana and THC for medicinal use, and we decriminalised the possession of half an ounce of marijuana or less. No, we didn't win big because North Carolina is a Trump state, but we won right. We've got the right goals and the right ideas and the right legislation - here's a hint, it's to legalise marijuana rather than throw people in jail for having a little bit of it. Electability matters, VP Harris, and you having low approvals is not a new story. You've had underwater approvals that have trailed Joe Biden's literally all along. Democrats need to choose a nominee who can win, not one who talks big but then falls flat. They want consistency and progress. If I can do that in North Carolina - consistently a state that votes more Republican than the rest of the country - I can do that in the other 49 states, too. And speaking of my 51%, I don't think it's impressive, but I do think it is meaningful in a pink-purple state that's not nearly as liberal as San Francisco or New York or California. I acknowledge the Biden Administration has done a lot of work for this country, and you were a force in some of that. However, that does not make insulting North Carolina okay, and nor does it change the fact that you have abysmal approvals that will no doubt help the Republicans this November. Nor does it change the fact that you've prosecuted people for marijuana possession while I've signed laws decriminalising the possession of a small amount of marijuana. And that's with you being in ultra-blue San Francisco and me being in pink North Carolina. My point is this: All I've done is state the important facts - I've discussed your record as a prosecutor, I've discussed your approval ratings. I have not said anything about San Francisco or California. You're free to attack me or my record, as Mayor Adams sometimes has. But when you take the attack onto my state, onto North Carolina's 10 million residents, that's when I feel obliged to speak up. I hope all the people watching, North Carolinian or no, realise that attacking my state like this is extremely low and the sort of political behaviour that shouldn't be acceptable. Focus on the candidates, not their home states. This is not a campaign about North Carolina vs California or Raleigh vs San Francisco. It's Harris vs Cooper, it's prosecution on marijuana versus legalising marijuana, it's no electability versus electability in a Trump state. I hope the voters in the primary base their votes on that, not on North Carolina or California."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2022, 07:02:38 PM »

COOPER ON HOCHUL'S DEPARTURE AND ENDORSEMENT AT RALLY IN LAS VEGAS:

"I was surprised to find Kathy Hochul drop out, and even more so that she endorsed Mayor Adams for president.  It'll be interesting, to say the least, to see how her departure shakes up the race. I advise Governor Hochul's supporters to think long and hard before deciding who to support, because there are now three options in this race. There's Kamala Harris, an alienating vice-president who will make winning the White House easier for the Republican candidate. Kamala Harris is somebody who has a record of prosecuting people, of throwing people in jail, for having marijuana. In contrast, if you look at my record in North Carolina, a state that Kamala Harris has trashed and insulted, I worked with a Republican-controlled legislature to move forward on marijuana. We legalised THC and marijuana for medicinal use. We legalised possession of a small amount of marijuana. Then you've got Mayor Eric Adams, a fellow New York Democrat who Kathy Hochul endorsed. I think it's important to remember here that Eric Adams has bragged about being endorsed by the most conservative Democrat in the House, somebody who, in this time where women's reproductive rights are on the forefront of our politics, has opposed the right of a woman to have an abortion. You know what else? He is somebody who continued to meet with Andrew Cuomo even after so many women alleged that Cuomo harassed or assaulted them. So, you know, as Representatives Lee and Titus - both of whom have endorsed me - said, this election will be pivotal for women's rights. So we need a Democratic candidate who supports women. Not somebody whose record on supporting women, on women's rights, is questionable, is sketchy, at best. And you know, Eric claims to be a liberal, but I recall not all that long ago he was a conservative Republican. He's been endorsed by that conservative, anti-abortion Democrat, Henry Cuellar. So the same way his record on women is questionable, his liberal credentials are just as spotty, are just as debatable. And then you've got me. I got elected in a campaign that fought against hate, against transphobia. And we were able to win, at the same time that Donald Trump won our state. We were able to, despite a Republican legislature, to do so much. We took some steps toward legalising marijuana in North Carolina, as I previously mentioned. We signed into law regulations to fight the opioid epidemic. We fought for expanded Medicare. And in 2020, as Trump won the state again, we won reelection. So my question to all of Kathy Hochul supporters, to really all undecided voters, is this. Are we going to choose somebody who is extremely unpopular, who has tried to lock up people for having marijuana, somebody whose liberal credentials, whose support for women, is at best questionable, or a liberal fighter who's won uphill fights, unlikely races, and who's never wavered from justice, and equality, and liberalism? That is the question that all of those who are undecided between the three candidates need to think long and hard about. Because, you know, who we choose to be our candidate out in Iowa and New Hampshire, right here in Nevada, who we vote for in the primaries all across the country, will have dramatic national implications. If we choose the wrong horse, if we choose somebody who's equivocated on marijuana and on women's rights, if we choose somebody who'll only go on to lose to Trump or DeSantis in November, let me say it now: the future will be bleak. Or, you know, or we can choose somebody who can win, and who has been consistent, and then when we win the White House, we will end the death penalty, we will legalise marijuana on a national level, we will end the filibuster, we will transition to renewable, and we will fight for abortion rights, we'll get more justices on the Supreme Court who support abortion rights. To put it another way, we either take our country in a positive direction, in the right direction, towards progress and equality and justice, or we head down the wrong path, in the wrong direction, towards hate and bigotry and division and inequality. I'm in this race because we have to, have to, have to win the White House if we want to go down the right path, and if we allow the Republicans to win it, we head down the wrong path, from where it'll be that much harder to take a 180 and turn towards the right direction. So please, think about all those things when you consider who to vote for in the primary. The stakes are far too high, for this country, for the planet, to make the wrong decision."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies