Should the United States Attorney General be an Elected Official?

<< < (5/6) > >>

OSR stands with Israel:
Quote from: President Johnson on August 01, 2022, 03:20:05 PM

Absolutely not. There are already too many campaigns.

I even don't think state attorney generals should be elected.

A better idea may be to let the Senate Judiciary Chair appoint the attorney general and then of course the full senate would have to approve the appointment . So in this case Chuck Grassley would have decided who the attorney general was from 17-21 and you can make it that the attorney general cannot be fired without impeachment as well .

President Johnson:
Quote from: Old School Republican on August 01, 2022, 03:43:59 PM

A better idea may be to let the Senate Judiciary Chair appoint the attorney general and then of course the full senate would have to approve the appointment . So in this case Chuck Grassley would have decided who the attorney general was from 17-21 and you can make it that the attorney general cannot be fired without impeachment as well .

That would be very questionable since its an executive position being appointed by a legislator. The constitution clearly says the president is the head of the executive branch.

Also this does not shield the office from partisan influence.

OSR stands with Israel:
Quote from: President Johnson on August 01, 2022, 03:49:44 PM

Quote from: Old School Republican on August 01, 2022, 03:43:59 PM

That would be very questionable since its an executive position being appointed by a legislator. The constitution clearly says the president is the head of the executive branch.

Also this does not shield the office from partisan influence.

Well you would have to amend the constitution to make any changes to the current system anyway

Secretary of State Liberal Hack:
I think a general issue with the AG being a political actor is that they essentially have an unchecked authority to veto any law they dislike by simply declining to enforce it. That's an incredible concentration of power in the hands of 1 person.

TDAS04:
No. I don’t see an upside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page