Quebec 2022 Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:07:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec 2022 Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quebec 2022 Election  (Read 18148 times)
toaster
Canada

« on: September 01, 2022, 09:48:52 PM »

Pontiac is only Anglophone seat the PCQ has an outside chance of winning, but even that a long shot.  It is predominately Anglophone so no way goes PLQ.  But it did Conservative ten years ago under Lawrence Cannon federally and even in most recent federal election, Conservatives won several predominately Anglophone communities in Pontiac region like Shawville.  Only lost riding badly as includes large section in Gatineau area where they got slaughtered.  So because its Anglophone, rural and somewhat more conservative than the more Anglophone areas in Montreal, possible albeit unlikely.  PCQ won't win in Montreal.  Parties on right generally don't win ridings in large urban centres anymore.  Vancouver-False Creek probably last example of this and even it has now flipped to NDP provincially.  In UK you have some like Cities of London & Westminster but good chance it flips next election too.
Huh?  Anglophones in Quebec overwhelming vote Liberal.  Just like Francophones in Ontario vote Liberal.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 10:14:58 AM »

I understand that this may be a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but how "conservative" is the CAQ? For comparison, let's just take the Conservative Party of Canada, or maybe the UK Conservatives.

Its a good question, one could argue that the supposedly more centre-left Quebec Liberals were much more rightwing when they were last in power than the CAQ has been.
I find it interseting anytime anyone refers to Quebec politic parties as "much more rightwing" or "far right" or "how conservative" the party is.  This is a province where University tuition is about 3k per year, daycare is $10 per day, they have a universal pharmacare program, some of the highest redistribution of wealth in the world (highest taxes), government paid gender reassignment, forever lasting rent control attached to the unit,.. all things the Liberals and CAQ support btw..  Your idea of conservatism does not fit in Quebec.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 07:15:56 PM »

Was looking at a map of predictions.  Can someone tell me how it is legal in Canada for a riding to not be fully connected in Quebec (see Vaudreuil) when the separating part is not water?

toaster
Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 08:26:30 AM »

I watched the debate.  A lot of compliments for Ontario in the debate, that was a surprise. Duhaime has a way of making his ideas seems less extreme when he speaks, I don't think the opposition did a good job at pointing just how extreme his private healthcare idea is. I do think Legault did what he needed to do to stay in power, relatively inoffensive showing.  Anglade and St-Pierre Plamondon I think needed to do much better to get any kind of traction, and weren't able to.

My interpretation of how well each leader did from best to worst:
Duhaime
Legault
Nadeau-Dubois
Anglade
St-Pierre Plamondon
toaster
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 04:17:25 PM »

while QS is too far left/too post-PQ for anyone other than millennial cosmopolitan hipsters. 

The people of Rouyn-Noranda - Témiscamingue are millennial cosmopolitan hipsters?
toaster
Canada

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 07:08:48 PM »

Sounds to me like neither of you have ever been to Rouyn Noranda.  The QS support in this region comes from labour left, not millennial cosmopolitan hipster. UQAT in Rouyn has a few thousand students, this is not a University town like Sherbrooke. That's like saying the NDP support on the other side of the border in Timmins or Hearst is millennial cosmopolitan hipster because there happens to be a University within the borders of the ridings. I understand that the QS support here doesn't support your definition of who you think the QS voter is - that's why I'm bringing it up.  It may be the outlier or exception, but it shows that electorates outside of that cosmo hipster have given the QS a chance.  Although it's looking like Émilise will lose this time around.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 07:26:10 AM »

There are ways of course to get cell sample at the riding level. It's a bit trickier for urban ridings, but we have our ways Wink

I'm curious about this.  How would that work? Most people get their phones at malls and shopping centres that aren't (necessarily) in the riding where they live. Is it based on where the phone is most used?  Wouldn't that be where the person works as opposed to where they live? 
toaster
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 07:18:22 PM »

One thing I don't fully understand about the immigration debate in Quebec is that there is no shortage of French speakers around the world who I'm sure would like to come to Quebec and I'm sure would be good additions to Quebec.

I'm thinking in present of French speakers in Burkina Faso and Haiti.

A few things, French in Quebec and French in Haiti or Burkina Faso are so different they could be different languages.  There is a fear among Quebecers (a legitimate one) that their vernacular will be lost.  It's not so much about the colour of the person speaking the language, but more about the way it's being spoken. And it's not about accent, it's about words that are used, pronunciation, there is a Canadian/Quebec standard of French that is ignored or seen as "less than".

We've seen this in Ontario, virtually nobody on our own media (TFO, ICI) uses the Ontario French vernacular or lexicon. To no fault of their own (they are bringing their own identities), they pronounce the "t" in "aout" when giving the news, they say "cent" (with the T) when taking about pennies and money, they talk about going for dejeuner as though it means going for lunch. This is not the Canadian standard, and in Ontario, these are the only voices being heard in the media (and I would add, most higher level public institutions). People misrepresent this anger with racism, but it's more akin to Indigenous communities losing their languages or vernaculars than it is to angry Americans being upset that non-English speaking people are joining their country - which is the way the issue is being incorrectly characterized as.

These Franco spaces, especially in Ontario and other areas outside of Quebec, were created and made to protect the (shrinking) Franco population, and many feel like this safe space has been lost. Franco-Ontariens using the historical Canadian French standard are now being looked at as speaking incorrectly in their own province. And so we revert to using English because Francos from other parts of the world have other ways of saying thing. This is what Quebec wants to avoid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies