Quebec 2022 Election

<< < (63/63)

Poirot:
Quote from: Hatman 🍁 on September 20, 2023, 09:06:42 AM

The Quebec tradition of naming ridings after people continues...

They wanted to add a woman's name. Marie-Lacoste-Gérin-Lajoie is a long name and they say she has no specific link to the riding, just Quebec as a whole. I don't know if they could find a historic woman from the area (with a shorter name).

The commission has regrouped Estrie and Centre-du-Québec and treat it as one region. I would like to see the number of voters in Estrie to see if it's possible to add the riding in Estrie exclusively and respect the administrative region as much as possible.
I have already seen reaction of towns moved. Val-des-Sources (new name of Asbestos) doesn't want to be taken out of its Estrie region and be put in a Centre-du-Québec mainly riding.
Saint-Rosaire doesn't want to leave Arthabaska and be put in Nicolet-Bécancour.

MaxQue:
Quote from: Poirot on September 21, 2023, 10:08:42 PM

Quote from: Hatman 🍁 on September 20, 2023, 09:06:42 AM

The Quebec tradition of naming ridings after people continues...

They wanted to add a woman's name. Marie-Lacoste-Gérin-Lajoie is a long name and they say she has no specific link to the riding, just Quebec as a whole. I don't know if they could find a historic woman from the area (with a shorter name).

The commission has regrouped Estrie and Centre-du-Québec and treat it as one region. I would like to see the number of voters in Estrie to see if it's possible to add the riding in Estrie exclusively and respect the administrative region as much as possible.
I have already seen reaction of towns moved. Val-des-Sources (new name of Asbestos) doesn't want to be taken out of its Estrie region and be put in a Centre-du-Québec mainly riding.
Saint-Rosaire doesn't want to leave Arthabaska and be put in Nicolet-Bécancour.

Johnson is already a riding in three regions (Estrie/Centre-du-Québec/Montérégie), since 2021 (when the Haute-Yamaska (Granby) MRC was moved from Montérégie to Estrie.

Estrie electors (by adding each MRC): 392333 (7.74 ridings)
Centre-du-Québec: 198731 (3.92 ridings)

Poirot:
Quote from: MaxQue on September 19, 2023, 06:16:00 PM

https://www.electionsquebec.qc.ca/en/electoral-maps/review-of-quebecs-electoral-map/

New electoral map proposal for Quebec.
Only 50 of the 125 seats are changed, two abolished ridings and two new ones.

I'm posting here since it's where there was talk of the new electoral map proposal for 2026.

The political parties all agree to stop the work for a new electoral map. For 2026 it's the status quo. Ridings stay the same. Good for places that could have lost a riding but bad for already too big ridings (Brome Mississquoi is already 33% above average).

Parties will discuss criteria that should be used to draw ridings. Probably a distance criteria to protect some regions and their political weight. Montreal members want total population to be a factor and not electors because they receive a lot of demands from non voting individuals at their offices. There are also some who want more ridings since the population has grown over the years. A map should be in place for 2030 with the set of criteria.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-electoral-map-review-bill-suspension-1.7158497

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page