Planning a Trip to DC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:04:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Planning a Trip to DC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Planning a Trip to DC  (Read 690 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2022, 10:34:34 PM »

Washington, DC, as an actual city is nothing too great or worth a vist, I'm sure

Says the person who's never been here before Huh

What the heck is it about this country that people hate the capital city? In what other country is that the case?
Tbf most other countries. It’s a typical political thing. I’m pretty sure people dislike Ottawa in Canada, people in France def hate Paris if they aren’t from there, etc.
Honestly maybe it’s not a bad thing, do you really want hordes of tourists blocking the sidewalks and making lines even longer? At least that stuff keeps things somewhat confined to the area around the mall.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2022, 01:18:47 AM »

Appreciate the advice from everybody (special thanks to Forumlurker, but also Greg, Flyingmongoose, Alben, politicallefty, Jimmie, PQG and everyone else who gave feedback). I will keep all this information in mind, and whenever it's confirmed that there is a plan to go to DC, I'll absolutely use this information / return to this thread. Thank you all!
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2022, 01:21:41 AM »

Washington, DC, as an actual city is nothing too great or worth a vist, I'm sure

What the heck is it about this country that people hate the capital city? In what other country is that the case?

To be fair I'd say that about many other cities. I mean if you remove all the perks that come with being the national capital - the museums, government buildings, memorials, artifacts, and everything - what's left? It honestly feels like Washington would be like Baltimore or St Louis if it wasn't the national capital, and if you discount anything that can be attributed to DC's being the capital, I think you'd see that while DC is not a bad city, it is also probably not remarkable. Of course, since it is the national capital, it's obviously worth visiting (especially for those who are interested in government/politics). But if you stripped away all of that stuff, then I don't see how you could realistically argue DC is an exceptional city that is particularly noteworthy, honestly.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2022, 11:50:51 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2022, 12:29:44 PM by Nutmeg »

To be fair I'd say that about many other cities. I mean if you remove all the perks that come with being the national capital - the museums, government buildings, memorials, artifacts, and everything - what's left? It honestly feels like Washington would be like Baltimore or St Louis if it wasn't the national capital, and if you discount anything that can be attributed to DC's being the capital, I think you'd see that while DC is not a bad city, it is also probably not remarkable. Of course, since it is the national capital, it's obviously worth visiting (especially for those who are interested in government/politics). But if you stripped away all of that stuff, then I don't see how you could realistically argue DC is an exceptional city that is particularly noteworthy, honestly.

D.C. has quite a vibrant urban fabric developed over the last 225+ years, with many historic neighborhoods full of tremendous architecture, walkable streetscapes, and vibrant restaurants and entertainment venues. Aside from working in a government office building, I pretty much never interact with the infrastructure of the federal government, to include museums and monuments, and yet I still love living in D.C. Yesterday afternoon, for example, I got coffee and just strolled around the Logan Circle neighborhood looking at architecture and spring blossoms.

D.C. is far more interesting and just pleasant to exist in as a human being than is the vast majority of America. I say this as someone who has visited 49 states and nearly every large U.S. city. D.C. to me is a series of small towns--neighborhoods each with their own distinct character. The reasons to go somewhere on vacation are not necessarily the same reasons you'd choose to live somewhere, but the vitriol people have for the city itself is so odd. For the actions of Congress, sure.

And Baltimore is a great city to visit despite its problems and problem areas. I visit about once a month and always have a great time.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2022, 12:08:38 PM »

An underrated museum: the National Postal Museum.

The Air and Space museum is pretty cool but it is always overrun by swarms of children and their parents.  I'm not saying not to go there, but you shouldn't expect peace and quiet.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies