2024 Election Game (Sign Up/Discussion/Rules)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:52:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024 Election Game (Sign Up/Discussion/Rules)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: 2024 Election Game (Sign Up/Discussion/Rules)  (Read 8606 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 26, 2022, 02:06:11 AM »

I'm giving it 24 hours before Nevads starts.

…And as for the extension?

Requesting an extension. I can't get Cooper's campaigning details up today or anytime before tomorrow evening (after I get back home from school). A 24-hour extension would be appreciated and is necessary.

I was going to start covering it today. I have already extended it.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #276 on: August 27, 2022, 03:33:33 PM »

Stop Corruption Now Act

Ayes: 50 (49 Democrat, 1 Republican)

Nays: 50 (all Republican)

Commentary:

Lester Holt: It seems that the Vice President will be required to break the tie . . .

Brett Baier: Lisa Murkowski, the sole Republican to vote in favour . . .

Anderson Cooper: We are on the verge of the most far-reaching oversight bill in history . . .

I honestly think the SCNA bill shouldn't have had such a rigidly partisan final vote. Some of the Democrats who've participated in insider trading themselves - and yes, they do exist; IIRC one or both of the WA senators have participated in it - should've been nays, and as for the Republicans, Collins at least should've been a yea.

Also, thanks a lot for making this a tie to begin with...all it does is boost Harris in the primaries. And Cooper will now obviously need to commend/praise Harris on her vote.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #277 on: August 27, 2022, 03:37:23 PM »

Stop Corruption Now Act

Commentary:

Lester Holt: It seems that the Vice President will be required to break the tie . . .

Anderson Cooper: We are on the verge of the most far-reaching oversight bill in history . . .

I honestly think the SCNA bill shouldn't have had such a rigidly partisan final vote. Some of the Democrats who've participated in insider trading themselves - and yes, they do exist; IIRC one or both of the WA senators have participated in it - should've been nays, and as for the Republicans, Collins at least should've been a yea.

Also, thanks a lot for making this a tie to begin with...all it does is boost Harris in the primaries. And Cooper will now obviously need to commend/praise Harris on her vote.

I would have had McConnell refuse to bring it for a vote in the first place had I still been GM. It doesn't really seem in character for him to allow a vote on this.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #278 on: August 27, 2022, 03:42:48 PM »

Stop Corruption Now Act

Commentary:

I would have had McConnell refuse to bring it for a vote in the first place had I still been GM. It doesn't really seem in character for him to allow a vote on this.

He (McConnell) would honestly probably decide it'd be too bad a look for him to not even bring this to a vote. Not that this is much better, since every Democrat has supported what should've been a straightforward, common-sense and bipartisan bill, and just one of fifty-one Republicans supported it.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #279 on: August 27, 2022, 05:09:31 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2022, 05:14:11 PM by GoTfan »

Alright then. Find someone else to moderate it. 

I quit.
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2022, 05:10:12 PM »

oh my god.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2022, 05:14:14 PM »

I think you're overreacting.

I'll be willing to step back in for the interim (though election nights are definitelynot my forte), but I would ask that a full-time GM be found somewhat soon.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2022, 05:19:41 PM »

I'll be willing to step back in for the interim (though election nights are definitelynot my forte), but I would ask that a full-time GM be found somewhat soon.

I get accused of bias whenever I go out to umpire. I didn't volunteer to moderate this game to get accused of the same, or to be second-guessed by everyone. I do that to myself enough already.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #283 on: August 27, 2022, 05:21:11 PM »

Assuming GoTfan signs off, I will be taking over again as GM.

Once that happens, the turn will close and Nevada results will be posted.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #284 on: August 27, 2022, 05:31:40 PM »

This. GoTfan, you've been running the game quite fine, and we need you to continue moderating. This kind of rage-quitting isn't helpful.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2022, 05:32:34 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2022, 05:36:04 PM by CentristRepublican »

I get accused of bias whenever I go out to umpire. I didn't volunteer to moderate this game to get accused of the same, or to be second-guessed by everyone. I do that to myself enough already.

No one's second guessing you. You're running the game fine and you should continue running it, at least IMO, but if you want to quit, you do you I guess. As for "bias," I do have a few minor gripes, but that's to be expected and those will always be there. I don't think you're biased towards any particular candidate overall, and I don't think that anyone else does, either.

I get that I have criticized some of your choices, but those are honestly minor gripes... I'm really sorry if they sound like I'm second-guessing you and accusing you of bias; truly, it was just a little bit of commentary on my part. And as for NYE, I think he too just offers you alternative advice in good-faith (though NYE, I'd advise that if GoTfan continues moderating the game, you stop saying "I'd do this differently" or "I disagree with you on that," or at least reduce how often you say so, because it does sound a little bit like second-guessing and appears to be bothering GoTfan).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2022, 05:36:20 PM »

Okay. Here's the deal.

This turn will be closed as of tonight.

AshtonShabazz has agreed to post primary and caucus details going forward, as that is a weakness of mine, so look out for that.

A heads up, the next turn will include both the South Carolina Primary for Democrats, which I have already graded (sorry), and Super Tuesday, which will be following the schedule GoTfan set down.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2022, 05:39:01 PM »

No one's second guessing you. You're running the game fine and you should continue running it, at least IMO, but if you want to quit, you do you I guess. As for "bias," I do have a few minor gripes, but that's to be expected and those will always be there. I don't think you're biased towards any particular candidate overall, and I don't think that anyone else does, either.

I get that I have criticized some of your choices, but those are honestly minor gripes... I'm really sorry if they sound like I'm second-guessing you and accusing you of bias; truly, it was just a little bit of commentary on my part. And as for NYE, I think he too just offers you alternative advice in good-faith (though NYE, I'd advise that if GoTfan continues moderating the game, you stop saying "I'd do this differently" or "I disagree with you on that," or at least reduce how often you say so, because it does sound a little bit like second-guessing and appears to be bothering GoTfan).

Yeah, GoTfan did an excellent job. I just have a long history playing these, so armchair GM'ing is something I tend to do. When GoTfan puts as many years into these as I have, or when you do, you or he might find yourself doing it regularly too.

If I came off as abrasive in doing so, I apologize.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2022, 05:40:50 PM »

NYE, maybe we should wait a bit to see everyone cool down first and see if GoTfan would really like to step away as GM.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #289 on: August 27, 2022, 05:41:55 PM »

NYE, maybe we should wait a bit to see everyone cool down first and see if GoTfan would really like to step away as GM.

I got a PM from him saying as much, but if he wishes to stay on after all, it goes without saying that I'd prefer that. I did suck at the job.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #290 on: August 27, 2022, 05:44:32 PM »

I got a PM from him saying as much, but if he wishes to stay on after all, it goes without saying that I'd prefer that. I did suck at the job.

FWIW, assuming that you do become GM again, I think we should have someone who's not a current player helping with the primary writeups. This isn't meant as a slight towards Ashton but just an acknowledgement on unconscious biases and whatnot.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #291 on: August 27, 2022, 05:45:48 PM »

Yeah, GoTfan did an excellent job. I just have a long history playing these, so armchair GM'ing is something I tend to do. When GoTfan puts as many years into these as I have, or when you do, you or he might find yourself doing it regularly too.

I think that this is sufficient. I've apologised for my minor gripes/criticisms, as has NYE for his armchair GM'ing. Now, GoTfan, it's up to you. If you'd like to continue as GM, great. We all like what you've done with the game and you've been a good (if, understandably, imperfect) GM. But if you'd still rather quit, we can respect that. NYE or somebody else can run the game instead.

FWIW, assuming that you do become GM again, I think we should have someone who's not a current player helping with the primary writeups. This isn't meant as a slight towards Ashton but just an acknowledgement on unconscious biases and whatnot.

Ashton has been helping GoTfan with the primary write-ups? I missed that.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2022, 05:46:23 PM »

Given the deal is that I'm supposed to be PM'ing him everything at the end of a turn and then he writes it up based on that, I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm willing to ask Lumine instead, but he's already got a ton on his plate, and I don't want to add to it.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #293 on: August 27, 2022, 05:47:09 PM »

Anyway, one way or another, the show must go on. Whether GoTfan will continue as GM or whether NYE takes over, let's keep this thing moving.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #294 on: August 27, 2022, 05:47:18 PM »

I think that this is sufficient. I've apologised for my minor gripes/criticisms, as has NYE for his armchair GM'ing. Now, GoTfan, it's up to you. If you'd like to continue as GM, great. We all like what you've done with the game and you've been a good (if, understandably, imperfect) GM. But if you'd still rather quit, we can respect that. NYE or somebody else can run the game instead.

No, he'd be helping me with them. As far as I'm aware, GoTfan was doing them himself.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #295 on: August 27, 2022, 05:48:29 PM »

No, he'd be helping me with them. As far as I'm aware, GoTfan was doing them himself.

I see.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2022, 05:48:40 PM »

Given the deal is that I'm supposed to be PM'ing him everything at the end of a turn and then he writes it up based on that, I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm willing to ask Lumine instead, but he's already got a ton on his plate, and I don't want to add to it.

Ah, understood. I feel more comfortable with that setup, yeah. We shouldn't bug someone like Lumine as I know his current game is incredibly time-consuming as-is.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #297 on: August 27, 2022, 05:50:11 PM »

Ah, understood. I feel more comfortable with that setup, yeah. We shouldn't bug someone like Lumine as I know his current game is incredibly time-consuming as-is.

A current game which I'm playing in, but that's less time consuming than GM'ing it, I presume (but then again, I'm not Lumine).
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #298 on: August 27, 2022, 05:51:54 PM »

Anyway: I motion that we all patiently wait at least a day or two for GoTfan to collect his final thoughts on being GM.
Pink Panther

« Reply #299 on: August 27, 2022, 05:52:38 PM »

Alright then. Find someone else to moderate it. 

I quit.
Huh? I thought you did an extremely solid job managing the game so far. Please reconsider your decision.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies