2024 Election Game (Sign Up/Discussion/Rules) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:56:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024 Election Game (Sign Up/Discussion/Rules) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: 2024 Election Game (Sign Up/Discussion/Rules)  (Read 9077 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2022, 04:00:07 PM »

Trump Campaign Schedule

December 1-January 4: Appear once in every county in Iowa, with 3 appearances a day, and taking the day off for Christmas
January 5-January 25: Appear in each New Hampshire County twice
January 26: Take a day off
January 27: Hold a rally in Henderson, NV
January 28: Hold a rally in Summerlin, NV
January 29: Hold a rally in Las Vegas, NV and announce that his primary residence is now in the state of Nevada
January 30: Hold a rally in North Las Vegas, NV
January 31: Hold a rally in Reno, NV

LOL. Do you / does Trump think that just because FL swung rightward in 2020, wherever Trump moves, it'll help him politically there? Because if this happened IRL, it'd honestly be pathetic even by Trump's standards.

I dunno, that sounds exactly like the sort of correlation-causation things that Trump would get into his head and believe no matter what evidence there was to the contrary.

Maybe, but still. And any NV voter or any voter who decides to base their vote on where Trump changed his legal residence to is honestly a total idiot.
I’m not doing this over a primary given my lead in the polls

Okay but then why make Trump randomly move to NV?...Is it to help win NV in the GE?

Sounds to me like we're looking at a Trump/DeSantis ticket.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2022, 09:01:21 PM »

Have already started work on a post with the details of Cooper's campaigning in NH (IA and NC/SC are posted). Should be up in the next hour and a half (need to go now but when I'm back I'll wrap it up).

If I see one more attack from you, I'm putting you in jail for marijuana related charges.

Now I'm depressed that I stepped down as GM (then again, if I were GM still, we'd have just passed election day 2023 right now.) I would have had fun scoring the Harris/Cooper fighting.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2022, 11:22:42 PM »

Have already started work on a post with the details of Cooper's campaigning in NH (IA and NC/SC are posted). Should be up in the next hour and a half (need to go now but when I'm back I'll wrap it up).

If I see one more attack from you, I'm putting you in jail for marijuana related charges.

Now I'm depressed that I stepped down as GM (then again, if I were GM still, we'd have just passed election day 2023 right now.) I would have had fun scoring the Harris/Cooper fighting.

I made a calculated decision to accelrate the turns. A big problem games have is petering out before they reach the primaries, and I wanted to avoid that.

When IA's results come in, will you just give the final results statewide, or also give a county map and/or results by congressional districts?

I'd actually like to know too (so I can learn some formatting tricks if I want to attempt to do this again in the future. It's unlikely, as I prefer playing these games to hosting them, but every bit of knowledge helps me out).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2022, 10:42:31 PM »

I have to admit, I'm really enjoying dragging Harris through the mud at every turn!

You can kiss EPA Administrator goodbye.

Just me, speaking as a veteran player and former GM, but a Harris/Cooper ticket would be very effective in November...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2022, 03:39:21 AM »

Vice President Harris could be heard reacting to the recent Kerry campaign by using many foul language aimed at the former Secretary of State that would put Amy Klobuchar and Selina Meyer to shame.

You sure you aren't channeling Amy Klobuchar there?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2022, 11:40:21 PM »

Side note, that was my first time writing up coverage in one of these games. Feedback is more than welcome.

Nicely done.

I probably would have asked a veteran GM to write up the coverage for me anyways if I were still GM'ing this anyways (or just not done realtime coverage and done results only).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2022, 05:58:56 PM »

All feedback has been taken into account, rest assured.

I will say this, the back and forth between Harris and Cooper is going to get very interesting with Kerry now in the race. Especially since Kerry can leverage some of the advantages Baldwin would've had in the race.

I am looking at intensifying the debate schedule as well.

If you need someone to host a debate or two, I'm available.
All feedback has been taken into account, rest assured.

I will say this, the back and forth between Harris and Cooper is going to get very interesting with Kerry now in the race. Especially since Kerry can leverage some of the advantages Baldwin would've had in the race.

I am looking at intensifying the debate schedule as well.

I was hoping it'd help Cooper by drawing establishmentarian votes from Harris into Kerry's column, but Kerry/Spiral isn't helping by attacking Cooper so much and laying off Harris.

I admit if I were still GM, I would probably have vetoed a Kerry candidacy, but I'm enjoying what Spiral is doing with him so far.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2022, 12:18:14 AM »

Also, I feel that we should have more time for our turns since primary season requires greater detail in our posts. In particular, 36 hours until NH coverage starts is way too short given that we have to cram in a debate too.

Which is why I likely won't be reentering the game as a player (I was asked to reenter as a running mate for one candidate. Not naming names at this point).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2022, 09:08:27 PM »

Still following and enjoying this game (even if the GOP Primary has gotten a little bit boring without DeSantis).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2022, 11:40:14 PM »

Still following and enjoying this game  (even if the GOP Primary has gotten a little bit boring without DeSantis).

I’d say the fireworks on the Democratic side more than compensate for the lack of excitement on the GOP side.   Wink

If I had the spare time and interest in returning to the game, I'd probably mount a late Mike Pence entry, honestly.

The Primary deserves some entertainment, and Pence has an axe to grind...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2022, 03:37:23 PM »

Stop Corruption Now Act

Ayes: 50 (49 Democrat, 1 Republican)

Nays: 50 (all Republican)

Commentary:

Lester Holt: It seems that the Vice President will be required to break the tie . . .

Brett Baier: Lisa Murkowski, the sole Republican to vote in favour . . .

Anderson Cooper: We are on the verge of the most far-reaching oversight bill in history . . .

I honestly think the SCNA bill shouldn't have had such a rigidly partisan final vote. Some of the Democrats who've participated in insider trading themselves - and yes, they do exist; IIRC one or both of the WA senators have participated in it - should've been nays, and as for the Republicans, Collins at least should've been a yea.

Also, thanks a lot for making this a tie to begin with...all it does is boost Harris in the primaries. And Cooper will now obviously need to commend/praise Harris on her vote.

I would have had McConnell refuse to bring it for a vote in the first place had I still been GM. It doesn't really seem in character for him to allow a vote on this.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2022, 05:14:14 PM »

I think you're overreacting.

I'll be willing to step back in for the interim (though election nights are definitelynot my forte), but I would ask that a full-time GM be found somewhat soon.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2022, 05:21:11 PM »

Assuming GoTfan signs off, I will be taking over again as GM.

Once that happens, the turn will close and Nevada results will be posted.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2022, 05:36:20 PM »

Okay. Here's the deal.

This turn will be closed as of tonight.

AshtonShabazz has agreed to post primary and caucus details going forward, as that is a weakness of mine, so look out for that.

A heads up, the next turn will include both the South Carolina Primary for Democrats, which I have already graded (sorry), and Super Tuesday, which will be following the schedule GoTfan set down.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2022, 05:39:01 PM »

I'll be willing to step back in for the interim (though election nights are definitelynot my forte), but I would ask that a full-time GM be found somewhat soon.

I get accused of bias whenever I go out to umpire. I didn't volunteer to moderate this game to get accused of the same, or to be second-guessed by everyone. I do that to myself enough already.

No one's second guessing you. You're running the game fine and you should continue running it, at least IMO, but if you want to quit, you do you I guess. As for "bias," I do have a few minor gripes, but that's to be expected and those will always be there. I don't think you're biased towards any particular candidate overall, and I don't think that anyone else does, either.

I get that I have criticized some of your choices, but those are honestly minor gripes... I'm really sorry if they sound like I'm second-guessing you and accusing you of bias; truly, it was just a little bit of commentary on my part. And as for NYE, I think he too just offers you alternative advice in good-faith (though NYE, I'd advise that if GoTfan continues moderating the game, you stop saying "I'd do this differently" or "I disagree with you on that," or at least reduce how often you say so, because it does sound a little bit like second-guessing and appears to be bothering GoTfan).

Yeah, GoTfan did an excellent job. I just have a long history playing these, so armchair GM'ing is something I tend to do. When GoTfan puts as many years into these as I have, or when you do, you or he might find yourself doing it regularly too.

If I came off as abrasive in doing so, I apologize.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2022, 05:41:55 PM »

NYE, maybe we should wait a bit to see everyone cool down first and see if GoTfan would really like to step away as GM.

I got a PM from him saying as much, but if he wishes to stay on after all, it goes without saying that I'd prefer that. I did suck at the job.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2022, 05:46:23 PM »

NYE, maybe we should wait a bit to see everyone cool down first and see if GoTfan would really like to step away as GM.

I got a PM from him saying as much, but if he wishes to stay on after all, it goes without saying that I'd prefer that. I did suck at the job.

FWIW, assuming that you do become GM again, I think we should have someone who's not a current player helping with the primary writeups. This isn't meant as a slight towards Ashton but just an acknowledgement on unconscious biases and whatnot.

Given the deal is that I'm supposed to be PM'ing him everything at the end of a turn and then he writes it up based on that, I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm willing to ask Lumine instead, but he's already got a ton on his plate, and I don't want to add to it.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2022, 05:47:18 PM »

I get accused of bias whenever I go out to umpire. I didn't volunteer to moderate this game to get accused of the same, or to be second-guessed by everyone. I do that to myself enough already.

No one's second guessing you. You're running the game fine and you should continue running it, at least IMO, but if you want to quit, you do you I guess. As for "bias," I do have a few minor gripes, but that's to be expected and those will always be there. I don't think you're biased towards any particular candidate overall, and I don't think that anyone else does, either.

I get that I have criticized some of your choices, but those are honestly minor gripes... I'm really sorry if they sound like I'm second-guessing you and accusing you of bias; truly, it was just a little bit of commentary on my part. And as for NYE, I think he too just offers you alternative advice in good-faith (though NYE, I'd advise that if GoTfan continues moderating the game, you stop saying "I'd do this differently" or "I disagree with you on that," or at least reduce how often you say so, because it does sound a little bit like second-guessing and appears to be bothering GoTfan).

Yeah, GoTfan did an excellent job. I just have a long history playing these, so armchair GM'ing is something I tend to do. When GoTfan puts as many years into these as I have, or when you do, you or he might find yourself doing it regularly too.

If I came off as abrasive in doing so, I apologize.

I think that this is sufficient. I've apologised for my minor gripes/criticisms, as has NYE for his armchair GM'ing. Now, GoTfan, it's up to you. If you'd like to continue as GM, great. We all like what you've done with the game and you've been a good (if, understandably, imperfect) GM. But if you'd still rather quit, we can respect that. NYE or somebody else can run the game instead.

FWIW, assuming that you do become GM again, I think we should have someone who's not a current player helping with the primary writeups. This isn't meant as a slight towards Ashton but just an acknowledgement on unconscious biases and whatnot.

Ashton has been helping GoTfan with the primary write-ups? I missed that.

No, he'd be helping me with them. As far as I'm aware, GoTfan was doing them himself.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2022, 05:50:11 PM »

Given the deal is that I'm supposed to be PM'ing him everything at the end of a turn and then he writes it up based on that, I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm willing to ask Lumine instead, but he's already got a ton on his plate, and I don't want to add to it.

Ah, understood. I feel more comfortable with that setup, yeah. We shouldn't bug someone like Lumine as I know his current game is incredibly time-consuming as-is.

A current game which I'm playing in, but that's less time consuming than GM'ing it, I presume (but then again, I'm not Lumine).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2022, 05:53:33 PM »

Anyway: I motion that we all patiently wait at least a day or two for GoTfan to collect his final thoughts on being GM.

Honestly, I agree, largely, because while I'm willing to take over again, I really don't want the job.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2022, 05:45:34 PM »

It's been 24 hours now and GoTfan's not gotten back to us; I think he's made up his mind and doesn't intend to serve as GM any longer.

...So if NYE wants to reclaim the reins of GM and, for one thing, start coverage of the NV caucuses and set up the next round, that would be good.

I hindsight, I think I'm going to act out of guilt here, and say that as pennance for driving GoTFan away, the right move from where I'm sitting might just be to let the game die.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2022, 05:52:24 PM »

Okay, yeah, the game can't die! We have a VERY competitive and interesting Democratic Primary, and to just abandon it at this stage would be a very bad thing. I've dedicated several hours of my time over the past few months playing as Cooper, and so have (albeit to a lesser extent) Spiral and Ashton. This show must go on!

But, if you insist on not GM'ing, what logically follows is we must find a new GM. I would suggest myself for the role, but the obvious problem is I can't both be GM and play as Cooper (otherwise I'd certainly have fun running this game). A possibility is that, if (and only if) Spiral is up to it, he drops out and serves as GM instead? IDK and if Spiral would prefer to just play, that's obviously very understandable, but if he's up to it, that could be an option (ofc then the Democratic Primary would be a little less interesting and it'd just be Harris vs Cooper). If not Spiral, we'll need to find somebody else who's been following the game and who understands it, to run the game.

I'm sorry. But I don't feel comfortable returning the role (or indeed continuing to follow the game at all), having helped drive a GM away.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2022, 08:02:52 PM »

If there is ne thing I can't stand, it's being armchair generalled. I get enough of that from my parents and when I go to umpire on the weekend. And honestly, after a weekend of being cursed at, threatened and spat on by angry fans, I've had enough of people running things from the backseat. I did not volunteer to run this because I wanted to be armchair generalled.

So, I take it you're agreeing with me, that allowing the game to die is the correct move?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2022, 01:22:03 PM »

I personally believe Trump should be declared withdrawn due to inactivity.

If it weren't for me being part of the Atlasian GM team, I'd offer to take over as Trump.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2022, 07:49:53 PM »

Just a *suggestion* (which should not be by any means misconstrued to be armchair-generalling or anything): Post Super Tuesday, you should make the states' delegates winner-take-all, or do something like, some proportion of the delegates are automatically given to the winner, while the rest are distributed proportional to the results (for instance, say 50% of the delegates automatically go to the winner of the primary, and the other 50% are distributed proportionally - then, say, if Cooper wins 60% in a state with 30 delegates, he'd first off immediately receive 50% of the 30 delegates - so 15 delegates - and then 60% of the remaining 50% of delegates - so another 9 delegates - to give him 24 delegates and give Harris/Kerry a total of 6). Because the way all the states are totally proportional, it's not having very much of an impact when Cooper loses three primaries in a row, since he's still all right in terms of delegate count, and when it is in fact proportional, there's not nearly as much of an impetus to win a state's primary when you realise that, really, it's a question of only a few delegates and not a lot of them. My advice personally would be to let Super Tuesday be mostly winner-take-all since that's the way it's been till now - with maybe a few a mixture of winner-take-all and proportional, as described above - but thereafter, start having the states be mostly a hybrid of winner-take-all and proportional, with a few of the most competitive states being complete winner-take-all (so there's a lot of pressure on Cooper/Harris/Kerry to extensively campaign, and to win in, those specific states - since there wouldn't be just a few delegates at stake, but all the state's thirty or forty or fifty or more delegates).

I think we've established that GoTfan does not want suggestions?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies