2024 Election Game (Sign Up/Discussion/Rules)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:42:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024 Election Game (Sign Up/Discussion/Rules)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
Author Topic: 2024 Election Game (Sign Up/Discussion/Rules)  (Read 8654 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 20, 2022, 08:09:01 PM »

Just a *suggestion* (which should not be by any means misconstrued to be armchair-generalling or anything): Post Super Tuesday, you should make the states' delegates winner-take-all, or do something like, some proportion of the delegates are automatically given to the winner, while the rest are distributed proportional to the results (for instance, say 50% of the delegates automatically go to the winner of the primary, and the other 50% are distributed proportionally - then, say, if Cooper wins 60% in a state with 30 delegates, he'd first off immediately receive 50% of the 30 delegates - so 15 delegates - and then 60% of the remaining 50% of delegates - so another 9 delegates - to give him 24 delegates and give Harris/Kerry a total of 6). Because the way all the states are totally proportional, it's not having very much of an impact when Cooper loses three primaries in a row, since he's still all right in terms of delegate count, and when it is in fact proportional, there's not nearly as much of an impetus to win a state's primary when you realise that, really, it's a question of only a few delegates and not a lot of them. My advice personally would be to let Super Tuesday be mostly winner-take-all since that's the way it's been till now - with maybe a few a mixture of winner-take-all and proportional, as described above - but thereafter, start having the states be mostly a hybrid of winner-take-all and proportional, with a few of the most competitive states being complete winner-take-all (so there's a lot of pressure on Cooper/Harris/Kerry to extensively campaign, and to win in, those specific states - since there wouldn't be just a few delegates at stake, but all the state's thirty or forty or fifty or more delegates).

I think we've established that GoTfan does not want suggestions?

I think he's fine with them, as long as it's evident they're not too nagging or frequent, and provided it's mostly constructive criticism. If he has a problem with them, that's different,t but otherwise, I think it'd be a great idea for him to incorporate a hybrid system of winner-take-all and proportional in the primaries. If he doesn't want to do that - that's fine. But I think it's best if he considers this proposal, at least.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #351 on: September 20, 2022, 08:10:12 PM »

Just a *suggestion* (which should not be by any means misconstrued to be armchair-generalling or anything): Post Super Tuesday, you should make the states' delegates winner-take-all, or do something like, some proportion of the delegates are automatically given to the winner, while the rest are distributed proportional to the results (for instance, say 50% of the delegates automatically go to the winner of the primary, and the other 50% are distributed proportionally - then, say, if Cooper wins 60% in a state with 30 delegates, he'd first off immediately receive 50% of the 30 delegates - so 15 delegates - and then 60% of the remaining 50% of delegates - so another 9 delegates - to give him 24 delegates and give Harris/Kerry a total of 6). Because the way all the states are totally proportional, it's not having very much of an impact when Cooper loses three primaries in a row, since he's still all right in terms of delegate count, and when it is in fact proportional, there's not nearly as much of an impetus to win a state's primary when you realise that, really, it's a question of only a few delegates and not a lot of them. My advice personally would be to let Super Tuesday be mostly winner-take-all since that's the way it's been till now - with maybe a few a mixture of winner-take-all and proportional, as described above - but thereafter, start having the states be mostly a hybrid of winner-take-all and proportional, with a few of the most competitive states being complete winner-take-all (so there's a lot of pressure on Cooper/Harris/Kerry to extensively campaign, and to win in, those specific states - since there wouldn't be just a few delegates at stake, but all the state's thirty or forty or fifty or more delegates).

I think he's fine with them, as long as it's evident they're not too nagging or frequent, and provided it's mostly constructive criticism. If he has a problem with them, that's different,t but otherwise, I think it'd be a great idea for him to incorporate a hybrid system of winner-take-all and proportional in the primaries. If he doesn't want to do that - that's fine. But I think it's best if he considers this proposal, at least.

That's not the impression I was getting.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #352 on: September 20, 2022, 08:10:54 PM »

From me (as in, I sounded bossy and negative and should reword my post), or from him (as in, he doesn't want any suggestions at all, period)? Or both?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #353 on: September 20, 2022, 08:17:51 PM »

From me (as in, I sounded bossy and negative and should reword my post), or from him (as in, he doesn't want any suggestions at all, period)? Or both?

From him. He has his own style and he'd prefer not to have to deal with our suggestions, especially since he's played several games before and generally has a good idea of what to do.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #354 on: September 20, 2022, 08:20:23 PM »

From him. He has his own style and he'd prefer not to have to deal with our suggestions, especially since he's played several games before and generally has a good idea of what to do.

All right, well then, whenever GoTfan sees these posts, and he clarifies whether or not he's open to suggestions, we'll see. I would hope he's not putting a stop to all suggestions, and that he'll give my proposition serious consideration (although if he doesn't - you won't hear me complain: although I feel the game would be a bit more realistic/more interesting if GoTfan incorporated my idea, if he doesn't, I get the feeling that strategically, the beneficiaries may well be Cooper and Kerry, and the loser Harris; at least, that's exactly how it's played out thus far).
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #355 on: September 21, 2022, 03:10:48 AM »

Personally, I like maintaining the proportional system. While it admittedly benefits a candidate like mine, it's also what Democrats use in reality and it would entice competition for longer. Not going to cry if it switches to winner-take-all, though.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #356 on: September 21, 2022, 03:42:31 AM »

I'll put it to a vote.

Honestly, the convention jockeying that could result might make things more interesting.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #357 on: September 22, 2022, 12:48:26 PM »

Personally, I like maintaining the proportional system. While it admittedly benefits a candidate like mine, it's also what Democrats use in reality and it would entice competition for longer. Not going to cry if it switches to winner-take-all, though.

To be sure, I’m not in support of or advocating a winner-take-all system myself. It would be very detrimental to the Cooper campaign had it been implemented earlier, and if it applied on Super Tuesday, given that all of CA’s many delegates would go to Harris, it would basically be throwing both of us under the bus. It’s pretty unfair and makes it very tough to beat Harris. However, what I am proposing is a hybrid of winner-take-all and proportional, which I think is both fairest (since it makes actually winning each primary important, but doesn’t make it totally all-or-nothing) and most realistic (since IIRC in 2020, a lot of states allocated some delegates to the primary winner, and then distributed the rest of the delegates roughly proportionally, or at least something along those lines that would be much more difficult to recreate in this game). If/when this is put up for a vote, my advice is that you vote for it.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #358 on: September 22, 2022, 12:56:07 PM »

I must say, this Vince McMahon candidate is a despicable scumbag…which, I’m guessing, is precisely what Pink Panther wants him to be  Tongue
Pink Panther

« Reply #359 on: September 22, 2022, 01:29:06 PM »

I must say, this Vince McMahon candidate is a despicable scumbag…which, I’m guessing, is precisely what Pink Panther wants him to be  Tongue
Tbf, Vince is a despicable scumbag irl.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2022, 01:50:22 PM »

Tbf, Vince is a despicable scumbag irl.

I literally did not know who Vince McMahon even was - like I didn’t know he was a WWE wrestler; pretty sure I hadn’t even heard his game - until you had him enter this game. If the real Vince McMahon is anything like his in-game persona that you’ve created (which, for all I know, he is - and I’ll take you at your word that he is), then yeah, I’m not exactly left with a positive impression of this man.

I kind of hope it’s you and me in the GE, though, since Cooper (and for that matter, Harris, or Kerry) would just steamroll McMahon (though GoTfan might adjust that to keep the GE somewhat competitive).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2022, 08:14:29 PM »

Well, you won't hear me complain about Kamala Harris wasting valuable time "resting"...  Wink
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2022, 10:10:48 PM »

Well, you won't hear me complain about Kamala Harris wasting valuable time "resting"...  Wink

I doubt any candidate would be able to work on their official duties AND campaign for 2 months straight.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #363 on: September 23, 2022, 12:16:56 AM »

I doubt any candidate would be able to work on their official duties AND campaign for 2 months straight.

True, but this is a game - realistically, yeah, you need a break every once in a while (IRL, if Cooper was running for president, he would almost certainly have to return to NC much more frequently than I have him do so in the game), but in this game, you don’t need to bother: you can campaign every single day. Why bother wasting a day when you don’t have to and it can be much better utilized campaigning? Frankly, I feel like you’re resting on your laurels a bit if you think that Harris can afford to spend one day off the campaign trail that all the other candidates are busy campaigning of (obviously it’s not the end of the Harris Campaign by any means, but it’s not like you’re so ahead that you can afford extravagencies like this).
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #364 on: September 23, 2022, 06:42:14 AM »

Hell, I'll vote for CR's proposal after all. Why not lol.

I should be able to knock out my posts for this turn tonight.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #365 on: September 23, 2022, 08:44:16 PM »

Alright, I'll be closing the turn shortly. i've been taking a different schedule at work, so trying to fit in with that.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #366 on: September 24, 2022, 02:45:18 PM »

You snooze, you loose, it seems...I didn't send GoTfan any endorsement requests in a while, while Spiral was busy at work, and now he's nabbed the two biggest endorsements in AL. Still, I've rectified the mistake now.
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #367 on: September 24, 2022, 04:24:12 PM »

I honestly do not know how endorsement request even work in this game, I've def requested a couple but....that's as far as it got.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #368 on: September 24, 2022, 04:43:29 PM »

I honestly do not know how endorsement request even work in this game, I've def requested a couple but....that's as far as it got.

We should probably ask Spiral how he got his. Can you just claim whatever endorsements you want without checking with GoTfan first? Because if so, there’s a torrent of endorsements I’ll have Cooper receive in the next round.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #369 on: September 24, 2022, 06:23:01 PM »

Er, no. You just send a list of endorsements you're requesting and GoTfan reviews them for which ones he'll grant that turn.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #370 on: September 24, 2022, 06:35:07 PM »

Er, no. You just send a list of endorsements you're requesting and GoTfan reviews them for which ones he'll grant that turn.

That’s what I suspected, and that’s the process I’ve followed so far. I was only wondering because Ashton said he’s asked for endorsements but never received an answer (of course, maybe it’s just that GoTfan hasn’t seen/replied to it yet and will do so soon).

Doesn’t matter then. I just hope my endorsements are accepted (some pretty solid ones in there imo).
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #371 on: September 25, 2022, 03:09:02 AM »

I'm assessing everything now. I've been on the go pretty much the entire week, so trying to get some rest.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #372 on: September 25, 2022, 07:12:26 AM »

Okay, I want to clear a few things up.

Send me your endorsements lists. Some will be approved, some not. I try to maintain a bit of realism in that certain people are going to hold their endorsements back until after certain events. Example: requesting an endorsement from someone like Bernie Sanders or AOC is going to be denied mostly straight off the bat because they want to see how you perform on primary days.

Suggestions and constructive comments are always welcome. This is the first time I've managed a game that's gotten to the primary phase, so I'm working things out still.

I admittedly have let things slide recently, and I feel that I owe an explanation:

1) August last year was a terrible time for me and resulted in a pretty traumatic breakup that still affects me a lot, and my intensified work schedule isn't helping much. I haven't had more than four hours' sleep a night since then, and have only just restarted visits to a psychologist to try and deal with these f(inks)ing demons in my head.

2) I've had general feelings that my life has just hit a brick wall lately, and that's obviously affecting me as well. Like, a quarter-life crisis or something like that, I dunno. It's hard to explain over a computer.

3) Some of the stuff I've had to deal with at the Red Cross lately has been kinda confronting. I'm not allowed to say anything for legal reasons, but suffice to say, it's caused a friend of mine quite a few sleepless nights lately as well and I take it upon myself to stay talking with them so they don't have a panic attack.

I'll try and keep up with everything moving forward.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #373 on: September 27, 2022, 08:26:24 PM »

Headlines are up. React to them if you like. I'll be publishing the polling soon.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #374 on: September 28, 2022, 09:38:14 AM »

Okay, polls are finally up.

An explanation as to why I'm doing statuses for Super Tuesday as opposed to polling: I have a lot going on right now. My writing, work, and everything else, for example. Doing fully detailed polling would be very time consuming and honestly, would probably just stress me out even more.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies