Which of these Empires do you have a higher opinion of: British, or Roman?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:28:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these Empires do you have a higher opinion of: British, or Roman?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
British Empire

Roman Empire

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Which of these Empires do you have a higher opinion of: British, or Roman?  (Read 1761 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2024, 05:34:06 AM »

The Roman Republic was an Empire. It was a political unit governing varying groups of people governed by a central authority. It was governed by a select group of privileged citizens as opposed to a single ruler, which changed with the ascension of Augustus Caesar. In terms of the question you pose, the distinction between the day before Augustus became "Emperor" and the day after is rather unimportant. The differences between the Republic and Empire, but only as it relates to the internal political affairs of the contiguous Roman political unit that lasted for 2,000 years. Not in a comparative question to other empires.

Essentially, the Roman Republic was an Empire and should be included in any comparison.

Even if you didn't include the Roman Republic, the answer is still obviously the Roman Empire. All modern conceptions of "empire" come from Rome.

This is such a hysterically stupid argument that I’m not surprised you made it.

By this logic, since the Russian Federation has multiple different groups in it, historical discussions about the  “Russian Empire” as it is used ought to include modern day Russia.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2024, 09:28:24 AM »

Plenty of real historians describe the Roman Republic as an empire. That's not a radical statement at all.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2024, 12:31:46 PM »

This is such a hysterically stupid argument that I’m not surprised you made it.

Sigged!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2024, 12:34:02 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2024, 12:50:50 PM by KaiserDave »

The Roman Republic was an Empire. It was a political unit governing varying groups of people governed by a central authority. It was governed by a select group of privileged citizens as opposed to a single ruler, which changed with the ascension of Augustus Caesar. In terms of the question you pose, the distinction between the day before Augustus became "Emperor" and the day after is rather unimportant. The differences between the Republic and Empire, but only as it relates to the internal political affairs of the contiguous Roman political unit that lasted for 2,000 years. Not in a comparative question to other empires.

Essentially, the Roman Republic was an Empire and should be included in any comparison.

Even if you didn't include the Roman Republic, the answer is still obviously the Roman Empire. All modern conceptions of "empire" come from Rome.
By this logic, since the Russian Federation has multiple different groups in it, historical discussions about the  “Russian Empire” as it is used ought to include modern day Russia.

The only mistake is that I should have said empire instead of Empire. One can talk about the Putinist Russian empire that exists today without referring to the Tsarist Russian Empire. The Roman Republic was not an Empire, but it was an empire. The distinction should be obvious.

My earlier point stands, and it was substantiated by bloggers such as Conservatopia, Parochial Boy, and Al, who are considerably wiser than you. None of them have made such tremendous contributions to my signature though. Nor do any of them stalk my old posts to resurrect two year old arguments that I won.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2024, 01:45:02 PM »

This man has done more to divide Atlas blog than anyone else. He’s bumped 2 year old arguments that he lost. I still refer to him as The Retardening, do what you like!
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2024, 02:26:01 PM »

By this logic, since the Russian Federation has multiple different groups in it, historical discussions about the  “Russian Empire” as it is used ought to include modern day Russia.

The only mistake is that I should have said empire instead of Empire. One can talk about the Putinist Russian empire that exists today without referring to the Tsarist Russian Empire. The Roman Republic was not an Empire, but it was an empire. The distinction should be obvious.

The title uses the capital “Empire”. It should have been obvious.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2024, 04:17:12 PM »

As was explained two years ago, the distinction between the Republic and the Empire is more nuanced and complicated than the distinction between the present-day Russian Federation and the Petrine Russian Empire. Frankly it's very arguable that a clear-cut singular change from Republic to Empire never occurred. I am aware you struggle with this.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2024, 04:30:01 PM »

As was explained two years ago, the distinction between the Republic and the Empire is more nuanced and complicated than the distinction between the present-day Russian Federation and the Petrine Russian Empire. Frankly it's very arguable that a clear-cut singular change from Republic to Empire never occurred. I am aware you struggle with this.

Please refer me to an academic single source that refers to Julius Caesar, or any of his predecessors, as ruler of the “Roman Empire.” You won’t, because the Roman Empire did not exist then.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2024, 04:57:40 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2024, 05:00:59 PM by KaiserDave »

Please refer me to an academic single source that refers to Julius Caesar, or any of his predecessors, as ruler of the “Roman Empire.” You won’t, because the Roman Empire did not exist then.
You have to make it harder than this.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2024, 10:41:53 AM »

thereckoning has once again proven himself incapable of being right about anything.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2024, 10:53:27 AM »

ayy lmao
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2024, 03:07:02 PM »

Even if we accept the pedantry of "republic vs empire" I'm not sure why how you can accept that the roman empire did nothing relevant but coast on what was done by the Republic. Here are some pretty important things that you can decidedly link to the Empire:

- pax romania. The long period of stability transitioned the old Republic (which was a more "imperial" state with an italian Metropole governing colonies) into a pan-european entity of common laws. If the civil wars at the end of the republic had led to its dissolution, would an expansionist oligarchy that briefly held sway over the Mediterranean be seen as foundational for so many states? (This is the most important concept, as without this, all the other influences of the Republic would have been about as ephemeral as greek influence over Afghanistan).

- the position of "emperor" a mantle which was deliberately taken by many future European leaders. Napoleon, Peter the Great and the HRE weren't aping Pompey, they wanted to be Augustus!

- rather a grim example, but the forcible expulsion of jews under hadrian created the Jewish diaspora and creates a legacy that obviously continues to this day.

- the reforms of Diocletian in many ways created a constitutional framework that outlasted Rome itself.

- the foundation of Constantinople (it existed as a small city before, but you know what I mean) created one of the most important cities in world history, with an imperial role that outlasted Roman state)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies