AK-AL Special election: Peltola wins!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 07:52:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AK-AL Special election: Peltola wins!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Author Topic: AK-AL Special election: Peltola wins!  (Read 21701 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: August 31, 2022, 08:42:38 PM »

I mean her first election on the national stage resulted in defeat so this was never an appropriate title.
JMT

« Reply #376 on: August 31, 2022, 08:43:12 PM »

One thing to consider. I think the Republicans who voted for Palin are the “true believers”. For people saying a lot of Palin voters might switch to Begich in November in the first round, who’s to say a lot of Begich voters won’t switch to Peltola? Especially since she is now the incumbent and she did get a good chunk of his voters’ second choices.

This is a good point, I didn’t think of it that way. This is certainly a possibility as well.

Either way, I think all 3 candidates stay in the race in November, I don’t think anyone will drop out. So it’ll certainly be interesting.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #377 on: August 31, 2022, 08:43:19 PM »

Do we think Murkowski was Begich>Peltola>Palin? That's my guess at least. Possible she rated Palin second out of partisan loyalty

Perhaps, but I think it’s more likely she voted Begich > Peltola > exhaust. Palin and Murkowski have never gotten along, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Murkowski didn’t rank Palin.

Palin literally primaried Murkowski's father because she didn't get her job.  
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #378 on: August 31, 2022, 08:47:01 PM »

One thing to consider. I think the Republicans who voted for Palin are the “true believers”. For people saying a lot of Palin voters might switch to Begich in November in the first round, who’s to say a lot of Begich voters won’t switch to Peltola? Especially since she is now the incumbent and she did get a good chunk of his voters’ second choices.

This is a good point, I didn’t think of it that way. This is certainly a possibility as well.

Either way, I think all 3 candidates stay in the race in November, I don’t think anyone will drop out. So it’ll certainly be interesting.

Palin and Begich have absolutely no reason to drop out. They can keep fighting it out, which helps Peltola. I can see a scenario in November where Peltola ends the first round with around 42-44% of the vote and Palin and Begich battle it out in the mid to high 20’s.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #379 on: August 31, 2022, 08:47:28 PM »

Do we think Murkowski was Begich>Peltola>Palin? That's my guess at least. Possible she rated Palin second out of partisan loyalty

Peltola literally helped run her 2010 write-in campaign, so read into that what may be read.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #380 on: August 31, 2022, 08:49:09 PM »

Wonderful, just wonderful. Also this is the first time in like 50 years a Democrat won AK-AL.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #381 on: August 31, 2022, 08:51:17 PM »

What is perhaps most significant here is that Peltola was massively outspent - almost 4 to 1 by Palin alone and 7 to 1 when including Begich - yet still managed to win. Obviously Palin/the improving environment did a lot of work for her, but important to remember that many Democrats running in far more Dem-favorable places will not be outspent by their opponents, and will in fact significantly outspend them (and many have similarly toxic opponents).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #382 on: August 31, 2022, 08:54:49 PM »

Democrats could keep the House in 2022. A month ago I’d have said it was like a 5% chance or so…now it’s quite possible IMO!
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #383 on: August 31, 2022, 09:03:34 PM »

What is perhaps most significant here is that Peltola was massively outspent - almost 4 to 1 by Palin alone and 7 to 1 when including Begich - yet still managed to win. Obviously Palin/the improving environment did a lot of work for her, but important to remember that many Democrats running in far more Dem-favorable places will not be outspent by their opponents, and will in fact significantly outspend them (and many have similarly toxic opponents).

All this is true, but the only thing that concerns me is AK has very…unique politics (just one example of this: Lisa Murkowski win a write-in campaign for senate, and even in the 2014 wave, Democrats nearly won AK-SEN), and its form of voting in this case (RCV and whatnot) was also unique. Both those factors helped Paltola here. Don’t get me wrong, this victory is still just great, for a multitude of reasons, but we need to be a tad careful about reading too much into this. The NY special was a more significant “bellwether” IMO.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #384 on: August 31, 2022, 09:07:08 PM »

Perhaps, but I think it’s more likely she voted Begich > Peltola > exhaust. Palin and Murkowski have never gotten along, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Murkowski didn’t rank Palin.

Palin literally primaried Murkowski's father because she didn't get her job.  

Btw if Frank Murkowski wasn’t primaried he’d be crushed in a general in 2006 given how massively unpopular he was . Heck he came 3rd in the Republican primary itself and got less than 20% of the vote so yah he was completely DOA.

I have zero idea why he decided to leave the senate and run for governor given he had a pretty influential role in the senate unless the only reason he ran for governor was to ensure Lisa becomes a senator 
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #385 on: August 31, 2022, 09:12:28 PM »

I can die now.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #386 on: August 31, 2022, 09:21:10 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2022, 09:27:26 PM by Interlocutor »

There is absolutely no reason folks should be diminishing this victory.

A year ago, you'd be crazy for suggesting that the Democrats could pick up the Alaska House seat for even three months.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #387 on: August 31, 2022, 09:27:23 PM »

The Democrats were able to win Alabama in the lead up to the 2018 blue wave midterm elections. Republicans can't even win in Alaska in what is supposedly a red wave year.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #388 on: August 31, 2022, 09:28:50 PM »

There is absolutely no reason folks should be diminishing this victory.

A year ago, you'd be crazy for suggesting that the Democrats could pick up the Alaska House seat for even three months.

I'm very happy about this, believe me. Great win - first time this seat has gone blue in 50 years, more than doubling the area represented by Democrats, defeating Sarah Palin again, et. al.

I only question how representative this will be of the midterms. As I've said - AK has very weird politics and voting systems. Very different circumstances. I think NY19 was a much more accurate and unbiased reflection of the way voters are leaning. Not that this isn't an encouraging sign or anything - Democrats' chances of holding the House are IMO much, much higher than at this point last month.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #389 on: August 31, 2022, 09:29:52 PM »

The Democrats were able to win Alabama in the lead up to the 2018 blue wave midterm elections. Republicans can't even win in Alaska in what is supposedly a red wave year.

Bad faith comparison...Moore was a uniquely terrible candidate, as you're well aware. If not for his pedophilia (being revealed), he'd have won by double digits.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #390 on: August 31, 2022, 09:31:34 PM »

It honestly would be smart for Murkowski to just put and endorse Peltola. Build some goodwill towards the Democratic voters to help her win
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #391 on: August 31, 2022, 09:44:05 PM »

Saying Palin was a terrible candidate misses the point. Even with better candidates, Democrats wouldn't be winning a race like this if the national environment was a Republican wave. These opportunities open up as the national environment improves.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #392 on: August 31, 2022, 09:47:01 PM »

Imagine walking into an Anchorage hospital 49 years ago and telling everyone that that recently born baby girl to a Yupik family was going to be the next person to represent Alaska in the US House.

And then also imagine telling them that the new Senator from Delaware just elected the previous year was going to be President when she took office.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #393 on: August 31, 2022, 09:47:36 PM »

Republicans literally took Alaska GOV in this same blue year. If this logic truly follows, we'd be talking about Governor Begich being challenged.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #394 on: August 31, 2022, 09:49:21 PM »

No more Palin she was the one that cause Trumpian in the first place she endorsed Trump over Cruz in the primary now all the Rs are scrubbing Trump off their websites, what happened to Pieman, Trump endorsement is needed for this candidate that was tiresome
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #395 on: August 31, 2022, 09:53:07 PM »

Saying Palin was a terrible candidate misses the point. Even with better candidates, Democrats wouldn't be winning a race like this if the national environment was a Republican wave. These opportunities open up as the national environment improves.

Keep in mind Begich almost won an FPTP race in Alaska in 2014. Granted he was the incumbent but other dem incumbents that year in red states got crushed
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #396 on: August 31, 2022, 10:03:54 PM »

Candidate quality doesn't always matter in wave environments. If this was a Republican wave Palin would have won this easily and the race would have been an afterthought.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #397 on: August 31, 2022, 10:04:42 PM »

The Red Rippple is fading even further. The GOP is actually in disarray.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #398 on: August 31, 2022, 10:38:31 PM »

I would be curious how Murkowski personally ranked her ballot. She at the end of the day is a conservative and she endorsed Sullivan in 2020 but she had a very good relationship from Peltola from what I udnerstand.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #399 on: August 31, 2022, 10:52:05 PM »

I would be curious how Murkowski personally ranked her ballot. She at the end of the day is a conservative and she endorsed Sullivan in 2020 but she had a very good relationship from Peltola from what I udnerstand.

I would bet anything she ranked 1. Begich, 2. Peltola, 3. Palin
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies