Which of the following do you think is the best explanation for this election result?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:16:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which of the following do you think is the best explanation for this election result?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following statements do you think best explains the 2022 results?
The Biden coalition is still strong

The GOP went too extreme on abortion

Donald Trump dragged down the GOP ticket nationally

Biden is more popular than polling suggests

Races were more localized and divorced from national environment

Demographic changes with young people are hurting GOP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Which of the following do you think is the best explanation for this election result?  (Read 251 times)
EJ24
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2022, 12:23:14 PM »

?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 12:27:01 PM »

You should redo this as a multi-option poll, because multiple of those factors were in play.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 12:31:41 PM »

I think Swing voters perceived GOP as extreme. Abortion is a factor but not main reason — it is a sub-point for the overall extreme message.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 12:51:09 PM »

All of the above.

I will say, there's something remarkable about the Biden coalition. It looks and feels incredibly fragile, yet so far it has held everywhere except VA-GOV 2021.

Which is in stark contrast to the Obama coalition, which felt very strong and permanent, but totally collapsed the moment he was gone.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 12:52:35 PM »

Americans love crime, inflation, and litter boxes in classrooms don't we folks?
forsythvoter

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 02:33:51 PM »

I intentionally tried not to pay too much attention to election results this year since I wasn't thrilled with most of the candidates, but I really think the Rs "lost" this midterm opportunity more than Democrats won. It looks like R and D turnout were both high, but Rs failed to break the balance by decisively winning the independent vote (it looks like Ds narrowly won the Indy vote based on the exits) like the out-party usually does in midterm years.

I feel like I speak for a lot of voters in the middle when I say I don't like what Biden and the Ds have done policy wise or how they've managed inflation, but I'm also not on board with 1) overturning abortion rights, 2) 2 years of non-consequential investigations, and 3) Biden's impeachment as the headline news every day. Yet, if you asked me to name 3 things I think the Rs would do if they took control of Congress, those were the first things that immediately came to mind.

In the case of GA, add candidate quality issues, and that's how you lose a very winnable swing vote for US Senate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies