Impact of the 2020 primaries on the Democratic Party's image
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:26:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Impact of the 2020 primaries on the Democratic Party's image
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Positive or negative?
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Impact of the 2020 primaries on the Democratic Party's image  (Read 2044 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2022, 02:06:54 PM »

So many candidates, so many of them absolute garbage, the fiasco in Iowa, the Sanders-Warren spat, Bloomberg's campaign, so much money from donors big and small wasted on such a grotesque and debasing months-long (years-long, in fact) spectacle.

Abolish presidential primaries and caucuses imo. It's not like they've done anything good for the Republican Party's image either in recent times (2012, 2016). They've made a mockery of democratic participation and have had an incalculably toxic effect on our political culture.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 02:11:33 PM »

I think you hit the nail on the head.
WPADEM
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 10:01:54 AM »

Negative. 2018 and 2019 did a lot of damage.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 03:51:58 PM »

So many candidates, so many of them absolute garbage, the fiasco in Iowa, the Sanders-Warren spat, Bloomberg's campaign, so much money from donors big and small wasted on such a grotesque and debasing months-long (years-long, in fact) spectacle.

Abolish presidential primaries and caucuses imo. It's not like they've done anything good for the Republican Party's image either in recent times (2012, 2016). They've made a mockery of democratic participation and have had an incalculably toxic effect on our political culture.

We always have the option of returning to the proverbial 'smoke-filled backrooms', and make those national party conventions relevant again... 
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 07:33:48 PM »

Having primaries is better than the alternative. Literally every other option is a TON less democratic and worse than what we have now.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 07:26:53 PM »

The American election season goes on for an absurdly long time, basically the whole thing starts immediately after the midterms which means 50% of the time America is in election mode. Thats the first problem to fix right there, voters might even be more engaged if the elections actually came round every four years rather than two years off, two years on.

Primaries should take place over a few weeks in the summer and no debates over a year before the actual election.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 04:02:15 PM »

Having primaries is better than the alternative. Literally every other option is a TON less democratic and worse than what we have now.

Perhaps there should be a ton less democracy in candidate selection.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 12:04:18 PM »

I kinda think the primaries helped Biden. He ran towards the center and helped distance himself from more out there positions of the Democrats when he ran in the general.

But for the party as a whole? I honestly don't know.

I'm sure there were a few Biden-Republican voters who just wanted Trump out. But did they vote Republican down ballot because they are normally republican? Or did they want a check for Biden? A check on Biden or the Democrats as a whole? Impossible to say.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 09:12:22 PM »

Terrible for party as a whole. Basically..

Bernie- way too far left for mainstream
Warren- stereotype of a know it all Ivy professor who let’s face it, lied about her heritage
Harris/Booker- typical elite law background,Bay Area/NYC type completely unconcerned with economic issues.
Amy- no charisma
Pete- Absurd to go from mayor of a small city to WH

Dems would be wise to ditch everyone from 2020 and let some Govs duke it out next time. Whitmer, Polis, Beshear, or someone elected in 22. Enough with elite backgrounds and pronouns.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 04:48:37 PM »

In retrospect, it was the turning point where the woke image became impossible to shake. 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 04:29:56 PM »

For me it was my exit moment, and the field was generally pathetic.  Also, completely pointless as Barack Obama chose the nominee.  Could have saved everyone a lot of time.

Positive overall, because it's a good thing if more people turn on the Democrats.   Negative for their image, no doubt.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 05:49:15 PM »

Negative, but more democracy is better
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 11:15:54 PM »

For me it was my exit moment, and the field was generally pathetic.  Also, completely pointless as Barack Obama chose the nominee.  Could have saved everyone a lot of time.

Positive overall, because it's a good thing if more people turn on the Democrats.   Negative for their image, no doubt.
Agree on everything except for Obama picking the nominee

Biden was the only one who could consalate  the moderates. He was the only acceptable choice that could beat Biden. Obama calling the other moderates and reminding them this isn't picking the nominee.

I voted for Sanders. I don't think the 2016 primaries were fair. But in 2020, I acknowledged that more Democrats clearly wanted Biden over Sanders. Can't say the same for Bloomberg, Klobuchar, Pete, Beto, Harris etc.

Obama pointing the obvious isn't playing kingmaker.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 12:20:04 AM »

I don't think the 2016 primaries were fair.
Lol.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies