Democrats Have Edge in State Legislative Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:23:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats Have Edge in State Legislative Races
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Democrats Have Edge in State Legislative Races  (Read 4627 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 03:02:19 PM »

To either Alcon, Jesus, bejkuy, CultureKing, Bob/Rob, Reagan Raider, and/or Bill Richardson (formerly Mark Warner), and anyone else with knowledge on this topic:

What's the latest on the state legislative races, particularly those in Oregon and Washington state?  Does it look, at this point, that Democrats will gain control of both houses of the Oregon legislature, as well as further cement their majorities in Washington state? 

The Democrats should be cementing their majorities in Washington.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 11:35:37 PM »

Thank you Jesus.

To either Alcon, Jesus, bejkuy, CultureKing, Bob/Rob, Reagan Raider, and/or Bill Richardson (formerly Mark Warner), and anyone else with knowledge on this topic:

What's the latest on the state legislative races, particularly those in Oregon and Washington state?  Does it look, at this point, that Democrats will gain control of both houses of the Oregon legislature, as well as further cement their majorities in Washington state? 

Anyone else want to have a crack at this? 
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 12:17:47 AM »

I can take a crack at New York.

Democrats net gain +2 in the Senate (Republican majority still)

Democrats net gain +5 in the Assembly (continued Democratic dominance)

I don't see the Senate switching hands this year, it is too gerrymandered.  I even think the Republicans will pick back up the 49th district which is eastern Syracuse, eastern Syracuse suburbs, and some random rural towns. 

Our leg races will be very interesting this year because if the Republicans lose the Senate after 40 years in power the NYGOP might as well kiss themselves goodbye.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 12:33:55 AM »

Democrats net gain +2 in the Senate (Republican majority still)
Democrats net gain +5 in the Assembly (continued Democratic dominance)

If you're right, the State Senate would be 33-29 Republican, while the state Assembly would be 110-40 Democrat. That would be nuts, having 73% of one chamber and only 47% of the other.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 01:52:16 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2006, 01:54:03 PM by Populist Conservative »

Oregon is in many ways bucking the trend set by the national scene.  We've got a slightly closing race against a Democratic incumbent in Oregon's 5th Congressional District (though I expect the incumbent to win), we have possibly two or three State Senate gains, but we could lose a couple (maybe three) seats in the State House of Representatives.  Combine the gains in the State Senate with a potential Republican Gubernatorial win and that is a good year for Republicans in Oregon (especially if they only lose one or two House seats).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 03:50:19 PM »

Oregon is in many ways bucking the trend set by the national scene.  We've got a slightly closing race against a Democratic incumbent in Oregon's 5th Congressional District (though I expect the incumbent to win), we have possibly two or three State Senate gains, but we could lose a couple (maybe three) seats in the State House of Representatives.  Combine the gains in the State Senate with a potential Republican Gubernatorial win and that is a good year for Republicans in Oregon (especially if they only lose one or two House seats).

I guess some of that could be bouncing back.  2004 was a pretty bad election night for the Oregon GOP.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2006, 12:02:52 AM »

Nothing's much changed in Texas.  When your Senate seats are bigger than Congressional seats, change happens slowly.  The Republicans pick up Armbrister's (D) seat in the Victoria area, as there is no Democratic challenger.  Frank Madla's old seat is the only other potentially interesting race, but Uresti probably wins it with 55%-60% of the vote.  Rest of the seats are ultra-safe, so the majority becomes 20-11 R.

The House races are more complex, and I haven't been following them closely, but there are probably about 10-15, 20 max seats that could be halfway interesting (out of 150).  The Democrats may gain a couple or lose a couple, whichever.  It won't change things at all.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 05:58:39 PM »

Sadly, I ran out of time to do a massive study of my local legislative races. Sad But, countering the national trend in 2006 like NM did in 2002, the Reps are poised to pick up one seat in the SE, Eddy County-based District 54 (open: retiring Dixiecrat). There are definitely other competitive seats on both sides (although not many - the gerrymander is at work) so...I'll have to see. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies