Fading Frontier
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:03:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Fading Frontier
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fading Frontier  (Read 799 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2022, 03:41:07 PM »

"There is no such thing as American history, only a frontier" - Don Draper

As I am an American, most of my reflections both immediately preceding and after Russia's invasion of Ukraine have been provincial in character. I have been fixated on the response of the American response to the invasion, the response of the American people, how this invasion could reshape how we perceive our country and its place in the world. Here, I will argue that, in the minds of Americans, this invasion could represent a culmination of decades of humiliation, both abroad and at home.

Young Americans no longer believe in American exceptionalism, that foundational myth that sustained imperial adventure abroad, nor do they speak the language of the American civic religion with its reverent references of heroes of old. Americans have felt ashamed, disgusted, and, at times, have even hated their country over the past few years. This follows decades of pessimism, a sense that the future will only bring a decline in living standards and opportunities. Stated different, Americans no longer believe in "the frontier" and the myths sustaining that frontier.

What do I mean by this? I am referring to the classic "frontier thesis" of American history, which has about as much merit as the Unabomber's manifesto in terms of its analysis of history, but that is critical in understanding how Americans have perceived themselves and their past. According to this thesis, America's exceptional qualities stemmed from its frontier expansion - pioneers settled in hostile nature, establishing communities in a raw environment. This made them more egalitarian, forced democratic experiment. Frederick Jackson Turner also argued that this resulted in a more violent society, one that was less cultured, but this is not of primary interest to this essay. The point here is to say that, in many ways, American esteem and sense of self has been structured around a view of America as a country searching for a frontier, whether that be in new lands to settle, new technological innovations or ways of life or new projects. On the other hand, American esteem has never been grounded in respect for traditions, history or cherished cultural traditions. Insofar as Americans have cared about these things, it has usually been as a totem of the frontier.

Americans no longer believe in the frontier. They no longer believe in progress or a better future for their families, though they may, at times, believe in their own personal prospects, they lack this vision for their country. Insofar as Americans see the frontier, they see it in the acts of charismatic individuals or particular industries but this seems to be totally decoupled from national identity. As an example, when someone defends "crypto" or "Tesla" or states their preference for Apple products, this is rarely taken to relate to the United States, there is no sense of "buy American" or American identity. The frontier is dead and, with it, our esteem and sense of purpose is dead.

Clearly, in a time of war, a time of global crisis, a time when the American government is about as distrusted as it ever has been, this poses dangers, not only to the US but, perhaps, to the world. If Americans have lost their sense of self, their frontier, they might seek to compensate for this in disastrous national experiments (see: the election of Donald Trump in 2016) or, even worse, in a kind of "post-imperial" daze, may lash out at rivals. For better or for worse, there is little that I recognize in the America I live in with the words spoken by my elders when I was a child - the confidence and sense of national purpose that animated them is largely dead.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 05:19:27 PM »

There's always some crisis or another. People are tearing their hair out over a place that, only a generation ago, we naturally accepted would forever be a part of a Communist dictatorship, as we did everything east of a line "from Stettin in the Baltic, to Trieste in the Adriatic." What we are seeing is not some fearsome aggressor (provided no nuclear escalation), but a former superpower-turned wounded, cornered animal in a desperate existential struggle to stave off a future where NATO missiles are 5 minutes from their capital city.

As far as Tesla, Apple, and crypto, there may or may not be a sense of "American identity" around them, but the fact remains that they are American companies. America continues to push the frontier regardless of whether people identify with it in some sort of mythical sense or not. Capitalism continues to push on, and today the American economy has greater capabilities than ever. The reason that people may not identify with this progress is because increasingly they themselves are not benefiting from it. The average American family is not necessarily going to see better times if Apple's profits increase.

The root of the problem you refer to, IMO, is due to the emergence more than ever of "Two Americas." There's the America of the Acela corridor, the tech companies, the upper middle class and their newly minted million dollar homes and fat stock portfolios, and those who never had those things and see a middle class lifestyle further away than ever. On one hand, there are those who participate in the benefits of the empire, and on the other there are those who merely live in it.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 01:16:07 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2022, 12:40:07 PM by PSOL »

The “American frontier” is filled with suburban carpetbaggers inducing urban sprawl while most of the original white settlers are second-rate and edging very close to the bottom with the reservation and barrios dwellers. It’s a depressing suburban-horror picture with not an ounce of class consciousness or real hope of thriving happiness in the mundane.

The only real places gleaming with hope is in urban cores where some misfits congregate and tell stories about how their ancestors were like them as their parents disown them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies