2016:Obama vs Trump after 8 years of Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:56:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016:Obama vs Trump after 8 years of Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016:Obama vs Trump after 8 years of Hillary  (Read 591 times)
YTPoliticker
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2022, 05:50:35 PM »

How do you think it would have gone?
WPADEM
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 08:44:18 PM »

Obama wins in most cases. Though an interesting scenario is where Obama ends up like Hillary in real life. His 2008 base no longer exists and some controversy from his past are brought up, whether legitimate or not, combined with a poor campaign. Does Trump run as a Republican, if at all, if Hillary's President from 2009 to the present 2016?  They were close for sometime, Trump going as far to say Hillary would make, "a good president."
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 12:57:07 PM »

Does Trump run as a Republican, if at all, if Hillary's President from 2009 to the present 2016?  They were close for sometime, Trump going as far to say Hillary would make, "a good president."

Yeah, not sure Trump would have the same beef with a Clinton administration. Still, while it's a little closer because of "first POC president" hype, a slowed-down WWC bleed, and maybe one or two fewer scandals on Obama's part, Trump's populism wins out for many of the same reasons it did IOTL, namely inadequate resolutions to the War on Terror, the Great Recession, and culture wars:

Attorney General Barack Obama (D-IL) / Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA)
Businessman Donald Trump (R-NY) / Governor Mike Pence (R-IN) ✓
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 03:03:04 PM »

What did Obama do in meantime? I actually think he would have retired from the senate in 2010 and run for governor instead as never liked being a senator. Remember that Blago would have remained in office for the rest of his term. Although Illinois doesn't have term limits, I could easily imagine a scenario in which leaves it to Obama, perhaps seeking to switch jobs. Obama would certainly not have been vice president, if anything in Hillary's administration, it's Attorney General.

I absolutely a gifted campaigner like Obama would have defeated Trump. Kaine is still a likely running mate. Obama strongly considered him in 2008. Joe Biden would have been considered too old. I think he may have been Secretary of State after 2009.

✓ Governor Barack H. Obama (D-IL)/Senator Timothy M. Kaine (D-VA): 323 EV. (51.03%)
Mr. Donald J. Trump (R-NY)/Governor Michael R. Pence (R-IN): 215 EV. (45.83%)
WPADEM
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 05:00:00 PM »

What did Obama do in meantime? I actually think he would have retired from the senate in 2010 and run for governor instead as never liked being a senator. Remember that Blago would have remained in office for the rest of his term. Although Illinois doesn't have term limits, I could easily imagine a scenario in which leaves it to Obama, perhaps seeking to switch jobs. Obama would certainly not have been vice president, if anything in Hillary's administration, it's Attorney General.

I absolutely a gifted campaigner like Obama would have defeated Trump. Kaine is still a likely running mate. Obama strongly considered him in 2008. Joe Biden would have been considered too old. I think he may have been Secretary of State after 2009.

✓ Governor Barack H. Obama (D-IL)/Senator Timothy M. Kaine (D-VA): 323 EV. (51.03%)

This in most cases.  I don't think Obama runs for Governor in 2010 if he just ran for President in 2008 and lost the nomination. He's almost certainly not holding any position in Hillary's administration. Modern day teams of rivals and unity tickets just don't work. In real life, Hillary was not going to accept Secretary of State initially. Looking back, that was probably a mistake for her to accept the position.

Biden likely becomes Secretary of State in 2010/2011 after Richard Holbrooke dies, who probably would have been Hillary's Secretary of State in real life.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 04:36:19 AM »

This in most cases.  I don't think Obama runs for Governor in 2010 if he just ran for President in 2008 and lost the nomination. He's almost certainly not holding any position in Hillary's administration. Modern day teams of rivals and unity tickets just don't work. In real life, Hillary was not going to accept Secretary of State initially. Looking back, that was probably a mistake for her to accept the position.

Biden likely becomes Secretary of State in 2010/2011 after Richard Holbrooke dies, who probably would have been Hillary's Secretary of State in real life.

Why shouldn't Obama run for governor? It's well known he disliked the senate and being governor of a large state would have gotten him useful experience to prepapre for a 2016 presidential bid. His seat wouldn't have been up that year either unlike in the senate.

I actually believe Obama could have been a more skilfull president entering office in 2017 (or even 2021) after having served as governor or vice president. Actually, he and Biden were president in the wrong order. Biden should have been president from 2009 to 2017 and then succeeded by Obama, having served as his vice president. Both are superior to Hillary.
WPADEM
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 07:34:11 AM »

Why shouldn't Obama run for governor? It's well known he disliked the senate and being governor of a large state would have gotten him useful experience to prepapre for a 2016 presidential bid. His seat wouldn't have been up that year either unlike in the senate.

I actually believe Obama could have been a more skilfull president entering office in 2017 (or even 2021) after having served as governor or vice president. Actually, he and Biden were president in the wrong order. Biden should have been president from 2009 to 2017 and then succeeded by Obama, having served as his vice president. Both are superior to Hillary.

I absolutely agree. I have always thought that it should have been Hillary or Biden in 2008 and then Obama in 2016.  I just don't see how Obama can run for President in 2008, lose the nomination, then announce he's not running for reelection in the Senate, but instead is running for Governor in 2010.  I have heard that he did not enjoy the Senate and was looking to run for Governor in 2010, before he ran for President. I believe he loses the nomination in 2008, he remains in the Senate and bides his time for a better opportunity to run for President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies