Weatherboy vs The South
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:18:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Weatherboy vs The South
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Weatherboy vs The South  (Read 1821 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2022, 03:38:58 AM »

I sincerely apologize for my tardiness here. For my day job I run a plant nursery, and as you can probably imagine, early spring is an extremely busy period for flower sales. I just worked for 16 consecutive days, with most of those days requiring 10+ hours of my time (which includes a great deal of heavy lifting and other manual labor). Basically, my entire life has been nothing but work-sleep-eat-repeat, with no time to participate in the oral arguments here (or do literally anything else, for that matter). Thankfully however I've finally been able to carved out a few days of personal time followed by several <8 hour shifts, to give myself some sorely needed "me" time. For our purposes here, that means I can now give this case the attention it deserves. Thank you all for your understanding

I only have a single line of questioning to ask, which will follow in a dedicated post that can be expected later this morning (after I've had a few more hours' sleep). Also I'll be diligent with my responses and follow-up questions so I don't drag the case out any longer than necessary!

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »

To the esteemed Southern Attorney General:

Unlike three of my fellow Justices, I did not participate in the 2015/2016 constitutional convention, and as a result I have no real familiarity with its internal procedures. I therefore have several questions about this "Wiping All Current Laws" thread/vote you have referenced, how you've interpreted its significance, and the broader implications of this interpretation. You extrapolate an extensive argument here and I feel it necessary to take a closer look.

For reference, note that I'm not directly questioning your conclusion as it pertains to the present trial, but rather the broader consequences of the argument presented.

1. What indicates to you that this vote itself was -- and still is -- binding? Did the thread itself indicate the vote outcome would be final and absolute? Could the thread instead be treated as an informal poll among the convention delegates? I wonder if they could have been merely establishing their consensus on the issue, to guide them when crafting the Constitution itself -- hypothetically, akin to a poll asking something like "should we have a Presidential or Parliamentary system?" or maybe, "legislature: unicameral or bicameral?". Questions that would not be binding in themselves, but instead just informally determined what the drafters would establish as binding in the Constitution itself.

2. Is the decision reached by the "Wiping All Current Laws" thread at all present in the convention's finished product? Does the Constitution itself establish the 2016 US legal code as Atlasian law, whether explicitly or implicitly? If so, where? If not, can you provide any examples (in the US, Atlasia, or elsewhere) of a written constitution whose drafters decided on something, declined to enshrine that decision into their constitution, but later judicial opinions determined thee decision was part of the constitutional framework despite its absence from the constitution itself?

3. Regardless of the above, is it reasonable for this court to determine that real world laws exist as a definite component of Atlasian law even when the relevant Atlasian legislature (at regional or federal level) has declined to enact something akin to a reception statute enshrining irl laws into their own legal code?

4. If your argument is correct, that 2016 US laws (at both state and federal level) all exist within Atlasian law unless they've been repealed, how do you account for the fact that there's not exactly a one-to-one correlation between the Atlasian and American constitutional framework? For example, you reference irl state laws that have not been overturned in Atlasia, but how do you account for the fact that Atlasian states are nothing more than geographical subdivisions of the Regions? How could it ever be possible for an Atlasian state government to overturn any law that's been grandfathered in? How do you account for the fact that regional governments don't exist according to all the US laws you argue still apply for us? How do you account for the fact that many US laws refer to various executive agencies and cabinet departments that do not exist in Atlasia? If you posit all these laws still apply for us, how should they be adapted to apply to the context of our simulation? Are Atlasian citizens forced to follow an entire system of "shadow laws" enacted by legislatures that don't exist, and enforced by agencies that according to Atlasian law do not exist?

5. If the court accepts your premise that many real world laws still exist as Atlasian laws, how should this court apply the very many laws that are nonsensical if directly applied to Atlasia? Do any bright line rules and general principles exist this court can consistently apply to "adapt" US laws to our system? If not, must this court be perpetually condemned to determine entirely on a case by case basis how precisely these laws apply to our simulation?

6. Is there not a simpler way this court might determine that the phrase "In God We Trust" has historically been commonplace in the context of our post-reset Atlasian world, without opening such an insurmountable can of worms?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2022, 08:36:41 AM »

also, as a post-script:

I know tone is difficult to convey through text, so I really hope my previous post doesn't come across as hostile or unfairly critical!

I ask so many questions not because I hate the argument or something, but because I'm so fascinated and intrigued by it. It's a surprising and unorthodox perspective, I'm just trying to wrap my head around it here, doing my due diligence to test how it holds up under scrutiny. In particular I'm very hesitant to embrace a very broad ruling that might have lots of unintended consequences
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2022, 06:06:29 PM »

I am also curious about the consequences of the reset for the cultural history of Atlasia. Is it the Southern Attorney General's opinion that the culture of Atlasia was reset at the same time as the laws were reset? Does this mean, for example, that the name of our nation's capitol is Washington, not Nyman?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2022, 06:07:24 PM »

also, as a post-script:

I know tone is difficult to convey through text, so I really hope my previous post doesn't come across as hostile or unfairly critical!

I'm so fascinated and intrigued by [this discussion].

I would like to echo my colleague's remarks. Imagine me nodding sagely along to Bacon King's comments while they were being made.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2022, 06:36:02 PM »

I do not interpret any hostility in yalls questions. It is interesting. I am working on a response to address the various parts of the questions and should have a good analysis posted in the next couple of days (I have 9 cases in real life court tomorrow that I need to prioritize tonight.)

Just as a quick preliminary, not yet complete survey, on my lunch break I counted 122 post-reset Atlasian federal laws on the not up-to-date Wiki that directly reference or claim to amend pre-reset U.S. laws as well as 15 Southern Laws that directly reference or claim to amend identified pre-reset State laws. I've barely gotten into Fremont and have found 1 so far. Im going to look at Fremont, Lincoln, EOs, and GM canon too.

Ill attach the final survey of everything as an Exhibit to my response. Just wanted to confirm I saw this.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2022, 08:08:35 PM »

I am working on a response to address the various parts of the questions and should have a good analysis posted in the next couple of days (I have 9 cases in real life court tomorrow that I need to prioritize tonight.)

understood, take as much time as you need here, real-world obligations always come first

Just as a quick preliminary, not yet complete survey, on my lunch break I counted 122 post-reset Atlasian federal laws on the not up-to-date Wiki that directly reference or claim to amend pre-reset U.S. laws as well as 15 Southern Laws that directly reference or claim to amend identified pre-reset State laws. I've barely gotten into Fremont and have found 1 so far. Im going to look at Fremont, Lincoln, EOs, and GM canon too.

Ill attach the final survey of everything as an Exhibit to my response.

This is fascinating, not at all what I would have expected (admittedly though I haven't been an Atlasian legislator in like eight years, so I have no idea how the sausages are made these days). Very excited for the full survey!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2022, 03:56:44 PM »

Sorry for the delay.

So there were a few questions, I will try to answer them all in this response.

If we are dividing what pre-reset stuff this Court is inquiring into, we have the following categories:

1. Pre-Reset events
2. Pre-Reset Federal Statutes
3. Pre-Reset Federal Regulations
4. Pre-Reset Executive Orders
5. Pre-Reset State laws

On the question of Pre-Reset events, the Constitution does not expressly make the call, it does however delegate powers to the GM and to Congress.

All powers which the Senate shall deem necessary and proper for simulating either the impact of actions by the Republic of Atlasia, the several Regions, or the citizens thereof; or the actions of non-playable entities, shall be vested in a Game Engine.

The Senate shall have the power to establish the structure and powers of the Game Engine by appropriate legislation.
- Art. VI, Sec. 1 - 2

Additionally, according to federal statute:

Game Moderator Reform Act

(5.) All events that occurred before July 1, 2016, shall be considered valid and real. Any events that happen in real life will be considered valid unless otherwise specified by the Game Moderator. Events related to real life laws that are passed are not considered valid.

So on the question of Pre-Reset events, all events in the real world prior to July 1, 2016 happened in-game.

On the question of federal laws, we have clear intent from the majority of the framers of the Constitution that ALL pre-reset laws be retained. While this may have not been expressly included, it can not be said to be unknown to The People when they ratified the 4th Constitution and reset the game.

Practice over the past 6 years certainly reflect this reality to the point that the game would probably break if determined otherwise. I found 129 federal statutes adopted since the reset up to about a year ago that directly reference, incorporate, amend, or repeal federal United States statutes and regulations lawfully in place prior to the reset as though such laws and regulations were in force in Atlasia. The 2nd statute ever passed in 2016 amended the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for example. The Senate has not passed 200+ years worth of laws and regulations, meaning if those United States Laws were not retained everything from copyright law, bankruptcy law, court law, key environmental laws, social security, and thousands of other topics would cease to exist despite being assumed legal for 6 years. The federal statutes I found referencing pre-reset United States statutes and regulations are:

5.1, 6, 12
6.1, 5, 9, 12
8.5, 10,13, 16
10.1, 2
11.3, 10
12.2, 3, 6 - 9, 11, 14 - 16, 18, 19
13.2, 3, 7 - 11, 13 - 20, 22, 25, 26, 30 - 33, 35, 36, 38 - 40, 42 - 50
14.2, 4 - 7, 9, 10
15.1, 4
16.1, 2, 4, 5 - 7
18.1 - 3, 5, 9
19.3, 8, 9, 13 - 15, 18, 21, 23, 25, 28 - 32
20.2, 4 - 6
21.1, 4, 7, 9, 13, 17, 18, 20
22.2, 4, 8, 11, 12, 14
23.2, 3, 5, 8
24.1, 3, 5
26.1, 4, 10
28.1, 2, 7, 8

All of these statutes treat pre-reset United States federal law as valid and of force.

Additionally I found 13 Southern statutes and 7 Fremont statutes that directly reference pre-reset United States Federal law as though it is valid and of force. I can post the list if you ask, but Im trying to cut down on the length of this reply.

There are also 5 Executive Orders referencing pre-reset federal Executive Orders as if those EOs are still in force:

42-8
44-12
47-7
44-13
44-15

Finally, while GM actions are not conveniently compiled, there are nonetheless examples of the GM referencing pre-reset United States federal law as though it were valid and of force. For example:

CHARLESTON, SC. 'Twas the season of giving, as Blue Cross South, the largest insurer in the Southern region, worked with local hospitals to organize region-wide blood drives the week before Christmas. As an incentive for current customers, the insurer offered a $150 premium reduction for any customers donating blood at one of their sponsored events. In the spirit of the season, local churches and LGBT groups worked together to organize participation and offered transportation to and from the events.

Jenny Holland, the head nurse on staff at an event in Charleston, South Carolina took the time while she donated to speak about the turnout she's seeing this year compared to the previous years she's worked in Blue Cross South Blood Drives:

"It's really amazing to see how enthusiastic this year's crowd is! With the loosening regulations on who can donate and offering premium reductions in the Having More Donors is Good Act, we are seeing almost double the amount of people we normally see come out. We are so thankful that people have taken time out of their holiday shopping to provide something that will save a life to those in need!"

First time donor, Austin Carter was more than happy to talk about his experience while giving blood at an event in Nashville, Tennessee:

"For a long time, giving blood was something that I have always wanted to do since it saved my little sister's life when we were kids. But because of my sexual orientation, I had never been allowed to do this before. It wasn't until my local LGBT chapter that organized the Christmas Pride Ball handed out flyers about this event that I learned that I was finally able to do so. I'm so thankful for the common sense lawmakers in Nyman for changing the rules and allowing people like me to help save lives."

Therefore, I think it is exhaustively clear that all pre-reset United States laws, regulations, and EOs are valid and of force in Atlasia absent an in-game change by the Senate or President respectively. This is demonstrated by the overwhelming and clearly expressed understanding of the Constitutional Committee, the knowledge of this by The People who ratified the Constitution, the clear and dependent references of the federal Senate, the President, and the Regions, and statements by the GM. Were this Court to determine otherwise more than one hundred laws passed during the game Post-reset would be at risk of invalidation as would canon storylines by the GM and entire bodies of federal law would be absent ruining the game.

Now, onto pre-reset State laws. Firstly comity would dictate that if federal laws are retained so are State laws. This is apparent as no Region has directly criminalized murder, under the assumption that State murder laws remained in force after the reset.

I identified 10 Southern Statutes that directly and expressly reference, incorporate, amend, or repeal pre-reset State laws as though they were valid and in force in Atlasia. And I do mean directly.

The removal of barriers to electric car purchases Act reads:

1.) All restrictions on the direct sale of automotive vehicles from a manufacturer to a consumer, in the States of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Missouri, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia, are hereby repealed.

The FAST Act reads:

6.) The Virginia ban on possessing or operating radar detector technology in private cars is hereby repealed.

The Free Speech Protection Act reads:

10.) The ban on wearing masks in public in Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington D.C., and West Virginia, are hereby repealed. Nothing in this sub-section shall prevent any Regional, State, or local government employee from lawfully requiring a person wearing a mask to temporarily remove the mask so as to ascertain identity.

The End of Session Omnibus criminal law reform act reads:

18.) The current ban on flamethrowers in Maryland is hereby repealed.

19.) The current ban on "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines" in Maryland and the District of Columbia is hereby repealed.

The Attorney Licensing Reform Act reads:

2.) The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners rule requiring a dress code during bar examinations is hereby repealed.

The More Obsolete Crimes Deletion Act reads:

4.) The West Virginia tax on soft drinks and soft drink syrup is hereby repealed.

The Tax-Exempt HSAs Act reads:

1. Alabama’s treatment of HSAs as income for taxation and benefit eligibility is hereby repealed immediately.

The Vexillology On My Mind Resolution reads:

BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE CHAMBER OF DELEGATES:

1) Praises the current state flag of Georgia for its striking colors and historic character.

And the No Company Towns Act reads:

2. Florida's Reedy Creek Improvement Act is hereby repealed.

While not a law in a Southern State, the Southern Chamber also passed the Suck It San Francisco Act which directly references a pre-reset local ordinance in San Francisco as though it is valid and of force in Atlasia.

The South also has at least 10 laws that indirectly reference pre-reset State laws, in that they reference an exercise of power by the States nor expressly given to them by Regional statute. These are on topics such as license plates, DMVs, taxes, gun permits, law enforcement, speed limits, and a rage of other subject matters.

Fremont has 7 post-reset statutes that directly or indirectly reference, incorporate, amend, or repeal pre-reset State laws as though they were valid and of force in Atlasia. The most directly on point is the Free California Act which reads:

AN ACT To repeal silly and unnecessary California laws

Section 1: Title[edit]

This legislation may be cited as the Free California Act.

Section 2: San Francisco[edit]

1. In San Francisco, CA, it shall no longer be prohibited for elephants to walk down Market Street unless they’re on a leash.

Section 3: Walnut[edit]

1. In the city of Walnut, CA, it shall be legal to fly a kite higher than 10 feet off the ground.

2. In the city of Walnut, CA, children may wear a Halloween mask without having to acquire a permit from the sheriff. Men may also be permitted to dress as women without a permit from the sheriff.

Section 4: Belvedere City[edit]

1. In Belvedere City, CA, a Council order that specifically reads: “No dog shall be in a public place without its master on a leash" is hereby nullified.

Section 5: Eureka[edit]

1. In Eureka, CA, the prohibition on people sleeping in the road is hereby nullified and people shall be permitted across the Commonwealth of Fremont to sleep on a road provided that they are sleeping in a car that is parked in a safe area.

Section 6: Los Angeles[edit]

1. In Los Angeles, CA, it shall be legal for a witness or a defendant to cry on a court witness stand.

Section 7: Indian Wells[edit]

1. In Indian Wells, CA, it shall be legal to foretell the future for monetary or gift donations.

2. In Indian Wells, CA, it shall henceforth be legal for a trumpet player to play his instrument with the intention of luring someone to a store.

Section 8: Portola[edit]

1. In Portola, CA, it shall henceforth be legal to carry a fish into a bar.

Section 9: Chico[edit]

1. In Chico, CA, it shall no longer be against the law to go bowling on the sidewalk.

2. In Chico, CA, it shall not be against the law to drive a herd of cattle down the street.

Section 10: Repeal of SB-826[edit]

SB-826 is hereby repealed.

Also of importance is the fact that various GMs have referenced pre-reset State laws as though the are valid and of force in Atlasia. For example:

Glue Huffing Granny faces jail time in Indiana

The Police report indicates that despite sitting by herself, Mrs. Clemente was spotted laughing multiple times prior to the arrival of police, and one witness indicated to police that he was asked by Mrs. Clemente if he had seen a coconut fly by, followed by laughter. In parts of Lincoln, glue huffing is no laughing matter. Indiana Code 35-46-6 makes it a crime to “inhale the fumes of model glue … with the intent to cause intoxication, euphoria, excitement, exhilaration, stupefaction, or dulled senses.” Violations can be punished by up to 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Therefore, as with federal laws, I think it is exhaustively clear that all pre-reset State laws and regulations are valid and of force in Atlasia absent an in-game change by the respective Regional legislators. This is demonstrated by the overwhelming and clearly expressed understanding of the Constitutional Committee, the knowledge of this by The People who ratified the Constitution, the clear and dependent references of the Regional legislatures, and statements by the GM. Were this Court to determine otherwise dozens of laws passed during the game Post-reset would be at risk of invalidation as would canon storylines by the GM, entire bodies of State law would be absent, and murderers would be set free ruining the game.

On the question of if there is a canon of construction to assist in interpreting pre-reset laws that deviate a bit from gameplay, I would recommend the principle of mutatis mutandis which holds you interpret as similar as is possible and make minor corrections when necessary, such as references to non-existent departments or bad citations. This principle is widely used in real life. I did a lexisnexis search and found like 20 United States Supreme Court common law cases utilizing mutatis mutandis. The most recent was           from 2000 where the Court had to swap out a bad code citation. Basically a law referenced standards at Code Section X and it was later renumbered as Code Section Y, so the Court just swapped Y for X using mutatis mutandis. My City's ordinance on some traffic stuff directly reference Virginia law and incorporate it mutatis mutandis l. So like Virginia becomes the locality name, state highway becomes road or street, state police becomes local police, etc.

Such minor changes can not be said to defeat the purpose of the laws in question.

Specifically as to the example of Nyman, D.C. The constitution only refers to it as District of Columbia. While there was not an express federal statute officially renaming the City inside the District, there are federal statutes and EOs, Southern statutes, and GM communications all exclusively referring to the City as Nyman and not Washington. I think it is safe to impute that in the case of Nyman, it has been officially renamed in-game notwithstanding the name of the City technically defaulting to Washington pre-reset. Again, we recommend mutatis mutandis swapping Nyman for Washington in any carried over pre-reset laws that refer to it as Washington.

So in conclusion, I think it is very clear from all of the above that all pre-reset federal and State laws, regulations, and Executive Orders as well as all pre-reset real world events are in fact, valid and of force in Atlasia, mutatis mutandis, unless subsequently changed.

Accordingly, all of the uses listed above at length of "In God We Trust" and "One Nation Under God" pre-reset, were carried over post-reset and thus have continued to be a ubiquitous civic expression that United States Supreme Court common law has always protected.

Does that answer yalls questions?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2022, 02:34:33 PM »

Honorable Justices,

It appears this case fell out of interest, understandably so due to last month's events, but I still would like to know the court's decision and opinion.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2022, 03:29:03 PM »

Honorable Justices,

It appears this case fell out of interest, understandably so due to last month's events, but I still would like to know the court's decision and opinion.

You just want me to stop sending you pics on discord every couple of days everytime I see "In God We Trust" in a public setting. Wink
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2022, 03:50:30 PM »

Honorable Justices,

You just want me to stop sending you pics on discord every couple of days everytime I see "In God We Trust" in a public setting. Wink
I suspect you’ll do that even after the case is over. Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2022, 04:01:05 PM »

Still ongoing
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2022, 07:15:52 PM »

Supreme Court of Atlasia
Nyman, DC
Weatherboy v. the South

Opinion of the Court

Before us, the Court has what, on the surface, seems to be a simple question: can the Southern Region require its schools to post the phrases "One Region Under God" and "In God We Trust" on its school buses? Yet the questions involved are nothing but simple. We are forced to grapple with questions of culture, politics, and history, and to ponder deeply the meaning of an ambiguous vote taken nearly seven years ago. We profess ourselves humbled by these monumental questions. We attempt to chart a path forward, but the constitutional questions involved are complex, and we do not wish to lapse into gratis dictum. We must confine ourselves to the facts at hand. It is only through further litigation that a binding doctrine may emerge.

I

We begin with a brief discussion of the Establishment Clause. Article I, Section 3 of the Atlasian Constitution states: "The Senate shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, nor obstructing the freedom of worship." This is lightly adapted from the text of the United States constitution, which states: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

As the Court has repeatedly and consistently affirmed, we are not bound by the United States constitution as precedent. We are our own democracy, with our own codes, norms, and rites (as shall soon be dwelled upon). However, we may call upon the decisions of the United States constitution to inform our interpretation of the relevant Atlasian statute. United States constitutional practice along these lines is rapidly evolving, with the tension between "establishment of religion" and "free exercise" being fought in new ways. Regardless of the dividing line between them, however, cases such as Elk Grove Unified School District v. Newdow indicate that certain types of religious references may be permissible in government contexts under the establishment clause so long as those religious references have substantive historical value.

II

These principles also appear relevant to the Atlasian context, where our Constitution also indicates a careful balancing act may be necessary between the "establishment of religion" and "freedom of worship". Does the Atlasia Constitution also have a place for religious references with historical value? It seems likely that we do, given common law principles. There is also documented evidence of, for example, the phrase "In Dave We Trust" being used in Atlasian elections and Atlasian political rhetoric reaching back to 2004. Certainly political rhetoric may not be appropriate for other democracies, but such speeches and public comments are the framework around which our democracy hangs. It is what we have to judge what "Atlasian culture" is.

Is it the case, however, that the specific phrases "In God We Trust" or "One Region Under God" (or "One Nation Under God") are a part of Atlasian cultural or historical context? "In Dave We Trust" is certainly a well-established cultural tradition, but the evidence here for "In God We Trust" is less common. However, it shows up even in early cultural findings. The official motto of Atlasia was changed to "Ad astra per aspera" in December 2005, and it appears that it was commonly accepted that "In God We Trust" was the motto before then (see, e.g., the Needless Celebrations Removal Bill of 2006). There were debates in the Senate in August 2005 about whether the words "under God" should be eliminated from the Pledge of Allegiance. The bill was ultimately unsuccessful, but note from the discussion that the debate was not about whether the words were there in the first place. Early president PBrunsel campaigned for Senate in 2004 to defend those words in the Pledge.

We are therefore satisfied that these slogans or mottos have long served as an important touchstone in specifically Atlasian political culture and history, not just American political culture.

III

All these strolls down memory lane may be all for naught, however, depending on the reading of a vote taken at the most recent Constitutional Convention, establishing the Constitution under which the Court presently operates. With a total of three votes, the ConCon voted to wipe all existing laws in Atlasia at the time and replace them with the US statute up to that point. Curiously, though the initial votes were taken and all of Atlasia has proceeded accordingly since that point, the reset was not actually enshrined into the current Constitution. What does that mean for the present legislation?

Thankfully, the current case does not require us to delve too deeply into this constitutionally perplexing and fascinating project. Whatever the case was for the laws of Atlasia, much of the culture of Atlasia has clearly been retained. Many of the political parties had continuity pre- and post-Convention. Inside jokes remained. Histories are still told. The capital city of this nation is still Nyman. It is therefore still permissible to look to Atlasia's history from before this Constitution for insight to the cultural context of Atlasia, and that previous history says that these phrases are a part of Atlasian life.

IV

The only remaining question, then, is whether this message is one that conflicts with any students' abilities to worship freely, a fact that, logically, can includes students' ability to not worship freely. It may be somewhat uncomfortable for some students to see the word "God" stamped on their school buses, to be sure. However, these phrases clearly form a part of Atlasian culture that has existed since the beginning of this nation in 2004. Critically, they do not endorse any specific religious commitment. If school buses were required to be stamped with "The Flying Spaghetti Monster is my Lord and Savior", this would be clearly off-limits. Other religious monuments or ideas might be subject to greater scrutiny (and, it is important to note: this scrutiny must be applied in line with Atlasian history), but the Southern region has developed a sincerely impressive list of ways in which localities and regions have made reference to these concepts repeatedly in recent legislation. The preponderance of evidence suggests these messages do not form an endorsement of a specific faith or creed but instead are informed by Atlasia's cultural history.

As such, we hereby dismiss the petition to strike down Title VI, Section 4 of the No C.R.A.P. In Schools Act.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2022, 07:38:03 PM »

On behalf of the South, Id like to thank the justices for their time and my friend on the other side for a spirited and well argued case.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2022, 08:04:59 PM »

I thank the justices for their time, even if I may disagree with the decision.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2022, 08:30:08 PM »

Although, er, intervening events captured our attention for a time, we appreciated the discussion very much from both sides!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies