Should Ukraine join NATO?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:28:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Ukraine join NATO?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should Ukraine join NATO?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Should Ukraine join NATO?  (Read 1752 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2022, 01:32:24 PM »

Absolutely not, Russia is a nuclear power and they have a sphere of influence, Russia would not accept this deal nor should they.

The cool and leftist thing to do is support nuclear powers having spheres of influence.

That's the world we live in. I'm not a liberal internationalist, I'm a realist. The fact of the matter is that nuclear powers do have spheres of influence (the USA's apparently extends to the whole world) and they would not tolerate such a threat to their national security and a NATO-aligned Ukraine leaves Russia with no buffer zone in Eastern Europe.

If you were actually a realist, you wouldn’t oppose NATO.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2022, 01:47:57 PM »

Absolutely not, Russia is a nuclear power and they have a sphere of influence, Russia would not accept this deal nor should they.

The cool and leftist thing to do is support nuclear powers having spheres of influence.

That's the world we live in. I'm not a liberal internationalist, I'm a realist. The fact of the matter is that nuclear powers do have spheres of influence (the USA's apparently extends to the whole world) and they would not tolerate such a threat to their national security and a NATO-aligned Ukraine leaves Russia with no buffer zone in Eastern Europe.

I oppose NATO expansion on realist grounds. I am in principle opposed to all military alliances, but NATO is protected under international law and isn't going anywhere. Therefore my efforts are on containing NATO to its present sphere, and Russia their sphere, in order to preserve the balance of power.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2022, 03:30:05 PM »

At this point Russia has reached the point of no return with Ukraine and them joining NATO would just bring everyone else into the war and turn it into WWIII. The idea of big alliances like NATO is that you join before something like this happens, not after.

As another poster said making Ukraine officially neutral like Switzerland would be a compromise to get out of this but Ukraine needs to somehow turn it into a military stalemate to draw Russia to the negotiating table and I don't see that happening without some degree of US military support, at the very least air support to neutralize Russia's advantage there and turn it into a defense ground war.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2022, 03:33:00 PM »

I oppose NATO expansion on realist grounds. I am in principle opposed to all military alliances, but NATO is protected under international law and isn't going anywhere. Therefore my efforts are on containing NATO to its present sphere, and Russia their sphere, in order to preserve the balance of power.

Ukraine currently has a mostly pro western government despite not being a NATO member and Russia is trying to expand their sphere by invading them and putting in a pro Kremlin government. Russia is the one disrupting the current balance of power, not Ukraine by defending themselves. 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2022, 08:25:05 PM »

There is no opposition to NATO expansion that operates under a realist philosophy, unless your allegiance is to Russia.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2022, 08:27:34 PM »

There is no opposition to NATO expansion that operates under a realist philosophy, unless your allegiance is to Russia.
NATO expansion is not an open-and-shut case. Reasoned realist arguments can be made for and against it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2022, 08:34:28 PM »

NATO expansion is not an open-and-shut case. Reasoned realist arguments can be made for and against it.

Not really. The basic idea of realism is that nations will act in their self-interest above all else.

It is in the self-interest of most nations to join NATO, since its existence serves as a deterrent against non-members attacking member states.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2022, 09:41:39 PM »

Not really. The basic idea of realism is that nations will act in their self-interest above all else.

It is in the self-interest of most nations to join NATO, since its existence serves as a deterrent against non-members attacking member states.

That is unless you don't want to get pulled into a war similar to how WW1 started.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2022, 07:32:06 PM »

That is unless you don't want to get pulled into a war similar to how WW1 started.

The larger NATO becomes, the less likely a World War is.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2022, 06:24:35 PM »

The larger NATO becomes, the less likely a World War is.

The less likely a war will occur but it is more likely any such war will be a world war.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies