Will Chesa Boudin be recalled?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:39:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Chesa Boudin be recalled?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will Chesa Boudin be recalled?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Will Chesa Boudin be recalled?  (Read 3613 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2022, 11:30:11 AM »

https://sfstandard.com/criminal-justice/da-chesa-boudin-fentanyl-court-data-drug-dealing-immigration/

Boudin is refusing to prosecute Fentanyl dealers because many of them are immigrants.

I mean I guess I barely support legal Fentanyl coz lolbert but this is hilarious.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2022, 01:13:14 PM »

https://sfstandard.com/criminal-justice/da-chesa-boudin-fentanyl-court-data-drug-dealing-immigration/

Boudin is refusing to prosecute Fentanyl dealers because many of them are immigrants.

I mean I guess I barely support legal Fentanyl coz lolbert but this is hilarious.

If they're out there directly and continuously causing overdoses of American civilians through their actions, I'd say a deportation has been well earned. I'm mostly libertarian on drugs too, but not to that extent.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2022, 08:56:57 AM »

Why do some Democrats go so much easier on immigrants than on born and bred citizens? Not Boudin in particular, he goes easy on everyone, but this happens a lot and it's a terrible look.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2022, 08:35:09 PM »

Boudin has gotten zero traction among progressive and leftwing dissident media. Everyone knows that he’s toast, but I’m getting a feeling a lot of people would prefer that and I have scant evidence to believe that among certain California progressives, they support his loss to show a gotcha against voting for democrats.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2022, 12:18:27 PM »

Doesn't really seem like anyone wants to attach themselves to this sinking ship.  Chesa Boudin is going down hard, probably by double digits, and progressives would rather just forget about him than have the stink of Chesa follow them around for the next cycle.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2022, 10:46:22 PM »

Doesn't really seem like anyone wants to attach themselves to this sinking ship.  Chesa Boudin is going down hard, probably by double digits, and progressives would rather just forget about him than have the stink of Chesa follow them around for the next cycle.
No matter what progressives do, most voters will forget about it next cycle as they do on everything else.

Also I still think while he’s losing by double digits, it will be by 10-15%, which isn’t that bad given he has no willing grassroots base and has so much money against him.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2022, 09:37:14 PM »

No way he doesn't go down by at least 20+ points (I think).
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2022, 10:51:09 PM »

Chesa Boudin loses
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2022, 11:54:54 PM »

Chesa Boudin loses

Being a crime lover has consequences
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2022, 12:03:07 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2022, 12:09:25 AM by YE »

I don’t think San Francisco is any better off without Boudin is the thing. The rise in crime to the extent it is occurring is a nationwide development likely related to the pandemic, and I don’t really think a return to tough on crime era politics is the answer here.
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2022, 12:13:12 AM »

I don’t think San Francisco is any better off without Boudin is the thing. The rise in crime to the extent it is occurring is a nationwide development likely related to the pandemic, and I don’t really think a return to tough on crime era politics is the answer here.

Yeah I’m skeptical that a more pro-enforcement DA like Nancy Tung would directly lead to lower property crime rates. And even if there is an effect it isn’t like crime is going to go down overnight. Hopefully the next DA keeps up Boudin’s language outreach!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2022, 12:16:58 AM »

Yeah I’m skeptical that a more pro-enforcement DA like Nancy Tung would directly lead to lower property crime rates. And even if there is an effect it isn’t like crime is going to go down overnight. Hopefully the next DA keeps up Boudin’s language outreach!
Please talk in more detail about Boudin and language outreach. I've never heard of this before.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2022, 12:21:22 AM »

And yet somehow you know that a lack of effectiveness on the part of "tough on crime" policies isn't going to discredit those policies the same way Boudin's policies seem to have discredited criminal justice reform. Curious indeed...
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2022, 12:34:35 AM »

And yet somehow you know that a lack of effectiveness on the part of "tough on crime" policies isn't going to discredit those policies the same way Boudin's policies seem to have discredited criminal justice reform. Curious indeed...

I’m not a Boudin fan lmao. But it’s easier to recall an incompetent DA than to tackle underlying problems with law enforcement, income inequality, houselessness, underfunded schools, lack of community support, structural racism against both ADOS and East/Southeast Asians, etc. that contribute to violent and property crime.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2022, 07:44:09 AM »

I am optimistic about the effects of the recall — this thread makes a persuasive argument that (while, yes, much of the increase in crime is attributable to the pandemic) a large part of the problem is the understudied effects of actually electing a "progressive prosecutor" and having them implement their policies. Turns out the social science that forms the basis for the "reform" does not scale.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2022, 11:37:39 AM »

The question isn't so much is Boudin solely or even primarily responsible for the crime increase but rather was he making things better or worse. I think the answer there is clear.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2022, 11:50:20 AM »

Imagine if Boudin runs in '23 & wins again, lol
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2022, 11:32:53 PM »

Good riddance.
kwabbit

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2022, 05:14:40 PM »

To those in San Francisco, how much of an issue were Boudin's parents in his initial election? It amazes me that the son of one one of the most famous left wing terrorist couples was elected as DA of a major city. Even if he wasn't the same as his parents, he was still born and raised within the Weather Underground and still promoted leftist policies. Did anyone expect him to be competent in preventing crime or delivering justice when so much of his background was criminal in the first place?
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2022, 07:40:04 PM »

https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-political-scene/why-san-francisco-fired-chesa-boudin#:~:text=Having%20taken%20office%20just%20before,pandemic%20as%20a%20public%2Dhealth

Most American cities are among the wealthiest places in the wealthiest country in the world, and yet there is too much garbage and not enough housing, public transit is a mess, stores and garages are being broken into, and public schools, during the pandemic, were often closed. The message from Democratic voters to the politicians who run these cities is pretty straightforward and a matter of policy: these places need fixing. Boudin began his tenure as the protagonist of a story about the criminal-justice system. He ended it as a character in a story about cities.

True enough.  Boudin wasn't the cause of the SF Crime Wave, but his policies kept it going, and they blocked the solutions.  And the solution, at a certain level, IS to arrest and incarcerate.  Incarceration DOES take a person out of society where they cannot harm society while incarcerated.  To those who think that $950 worth of stuff shouldn't cause someone to be prosecuted, consider that $950 might be all some people have. 

Chesa Boudin refused to do his job in certain circumstances.  That's called nonfeasance of office.  His job was to protect the rights of ordinary citizens to life, liberty, and property.  He refused to prosecute certain classes of people who violated that right against others in a manner that, collectively, adds up.  That's something that prosecutors SHOULD be fired for.  The world is not always a place of perfect justice, but the refusal to prosecute crimes that involve real victims and the refusal to act to protect victims when one has the opportunity and charge to do so is why Chesa Boudin should never have been DA in the first place.  If Chesa Boudin didn't like the laws he was called to enforcce, he ran for the wrong office.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2022, 11:28:04 AM »

Imagine if Boudin runs in '23 & wins again, lol

I mean, he's gonna loss by less than 10% when all is said and done. It's also an indictment of the press, who ran with the original 20% margin to create a bunch of narratives, when this thing could get down to 5% by the time it's all done counting. He'll still lose, but it won't be as much of a story as they made it out to be when it was 60/40
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies