Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:10:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages  (Read 2531 times)
It's not just that you are a crook senator
MelihV
Rookie
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.04

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 01:15:14 PM »

As a citizen of Turkey, I have only heard this news from international sources lol it is not even news in Turkey. I don't see any reason as to why there is a need to change the name of the country except for some empty ego-stroking.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2022, 01:21:10 PM »

One of the great unresolved challenges of human language will always be translating proper nouns. 

If the current fashion of preferring local spelling/pronunciation is taken to its logical conclusion, then there is no reason "Beijing" won't be printed as 北京 in the English-language newspapers of tomorrow.   
Actually, that's how you spell an old name for the former capital of Japan. Get it right, smh.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2022, 01:22:35 PM »

Good for him
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2022, 01:29:54 PM »

One of the great unresolved challenges of human language will always be translating proper nouns.  

If the current fashion of preferring local spelling/pronunciation is taken to its logical conclusion, then there is no reason "Beijing" won't be printed as 北京 in the English-language newspapers of tomorrow.  
No, that is what Pinyin is for.

But the Pinyin equivalent of this already happened, after all you call the city by its modern standard Mandarin 'Beijing' rather than the archaic 'Peking'.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2022, 02:05:30 PM »

Unless you're ordering duck.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2022, 02:23:01 PM »

Although Swaziland -> Eswatini has gained ground so much that Wikipedia now uses the latter as the primary name.

Why? You don't call Istanbul Constantinople anymore.

Those are both different words from the previous, not less-familiar and less-phonetically-intuitive versions of the same word. Heck, in Eswatini's case, it's arguably easier to read and pronounce than Swaziland. Your parallels make no sense.

You think so? I think “Swaziland” is remarkably intuitive to read and pronounce. But that’s probably because “land” is an English word to begin with.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2022, 02:27:19 PM »

To be fair I think the duck has more important things to worry about than what you call it.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2022, 02:40:40 PM »

English does not have the phoneme that corresponds with Turkish ü, and the vast majority of us are not going to go out of our way to type that umlaut. If Erdogan had half a brain he'd tell us to call it "Turkia". That's what "Türkiye" turns into with English phonology rules anyway.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2022, 02:53:38 PM »

Although Swaziland -> Eswatini has gained ground so much that Wikipedia now uses the latter as the primary name.

Why? You don't call Istanbul Constantinople anymore.

Those are both different words from the previous, not less-familiar and less-phonetically-intuitive versions of the same word. Heck, in Eswatini's case, it's arguably easier to read and pronounce than Swaziland. Your parallels make no sense.

You think so? I think “Swaziland” is remarkably intuitive to read and pronounce. But that’s probably because “land” is an English word to begin with.

The "land" part is fairly straightforward, sure, but "swazi" strikes me as a rather disharmonious combination of phonemes, and the two pieces don't mesh well together at all. "Eswatini" rolls off the tongue much more naturally to me. Maybe I'm thinking of it more from the perspective of a Romance language speaker than an English one though.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2022, 03:08:58 PM »

Like the king of Swaziland, this is a product of someone who is bored and has poor sense of the time management to think about this issue or something more pressing.

This may be a sign of what is to come, as the name change preceded great turbulence to the ruling regime.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2022, 03:28:58 PM »

No news yet on whether the Turks will reciprocate by calling Germany "Deutschland", Greece "Ελλάδα" or China "中国".
How about Georgia "საქართველო".
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2022, 03:31:00 PM »

Yeah, because Turkey has no other problems at the moment.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2022, 03:56:13 PM »

For what it's worth, it's also still pronounced ペキン ("Pekin") in Japanese.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2022, 06:17:29 PM »

Meanwhile in Byelorussia....
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2022, 08:45:14 AM »

Well Ivory Coast no longer exists and it's now Cote d'Ivoire. Ditto East Timor/Timor-Leste. It's hardly particular to Turks.

No one in Finland calls the country Cote d'Ivoire. It's still "Norsunluurannikko", which means "Ivory Coast".

Good for the Finns. But the country's name has become Cote d'Ivoire, even for English speakers.

Lol, no. Everyone still says Ivory Coast.

This is true, though on the other hand almost nobody says Upper Volta these days.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2022, 10:23:08 AM »

Well Ivory Coast no longer exists and it's now Cote d'Ivoire. Ditto East Timor/Timor-Leste. It's hardly particular to Turks.

No one in Finland calls the country Cote d'Ivoire. It's still "Norsunluurannikko", which means "Ivory Coast".

Good for the Finns. But the country's name has become Cote d'Ivoire, even for English speakers.

Lol, no. Everyone still says Ivory Coast.

You're confusing colloquialism for officialdom. Officially, Turkey can do whatever they want, part of being a sovereign state is you can choose your name. Swaziland, Czech Republic, Macedonia have all done this pretty recently. Supposedly before Nazerbayev left power he was going to change Kazakhstan's name to Kazak Yeli because "-stan" is associated with Afghanistan/Pakistan and other areas that have wars. Colloquially is another style that means casual. Colloquially, Latin Americans believe that Americans refers to anyone living in the Americas. So a Chilean is an americano because he resides in South America, the (proper) Spanish word for American is estadounidense, literally unitedstatesian. Colloquially around the world, "American" refers to people living in the United States of America. Myself I rarely use the term America to refer to my country, I typically use U.S. instead.

This is an issue I actually deal with frequently in my day job. We now are calling it Cabo Verde rather than Cape Verde, and Cote d'Ivoire rather than Ivory Coast on the demarche of those countries, which I think is kind of funny that these countries ask us to call them something in one colonial language as opposed to another, but who am I to yuck their yum. We do refuse to call Burma by the name the junta has demanded, though.

On the U.S. demonym issue, I had the opposite experience when I was living in Colombia and called the Embassy/myself "estadounidense." People gave me odd looks and said they think of the U.S. as "americano." So that took some re-adjusting.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2022, 10:47:25 AM »

No news yet on whether the Turks will reciprocate by calling Germany "Deutschland", Greece "Ελλάδα" or China "中国".
How about Georgia "საქართველო".

Though of course Georgia has actually been pushing countries to call them by their western exonym Georgia rather than their Russian exonym Gruziya. You'd think Sakartvelo would be even more attractive, given the whole U.S. state issue, but who am I to say?
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2022, 11:04:15 AM »

Ah yes. Your currency is collapsing, basically all of your neighbors hate you, you’re losing a war in northern Syria, your army is reduced to basically being Hessians for the Emir of Qatar, and this is what you decide to focus on?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2022, 12:33:09 PM »

I'm of the view that whether a name change will go through will depend on several factors

1: The importance of your country, ironic the less people give a f**k about you, the easier it is to get a name change through.
2: How easy is the new name to say.
3: How legitimate is your government, no one will care about the name change if they expect you to be gone in the new future.
4: Is it a return to an earlier name?
5: How big a a** is you about the name change?

As for the name change to Tyrkije (y can be used instead of ü and j can be used a consonant version of y). I doubt anyone will adopt the new name; at most it will be a name used in official papers, but I doubt even public owned medias will make use of it. The name change is seen as idiocy by increasing deranged and illegitimate Turkish leader.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2022, 01:27:24 PM »

Ah yes. Your currency is collapsing, basically all of your neighbors hate you, you’re losing a war in northern Syria, your army is reduced to basically being Hessians for the Emir of Qatar, and this is what you decide to focus on?

This secular blog put more efforts/focus on this issue than Turkey.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2022, 02:07:57 PM »

As for the name change to Tyrkije (y can be used instead of ü and j can be used a consonant version of y).

Not in Turkish! That would be read as [tjɾkiʒe] or something which isn't even a valid sequence of sounds in Turkish. Or in the vast majority of the word's languages, including English, though you could maybe anglicize it to [tjɚkiʒeɪ] "tjerk-eezhay" or something, which would be much further away from the Turkish pronunciation than an anglicized Türkiye or the original English Turkey.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2022, 02:13:28 PM »

Story Czechias out.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2022, 02:37:02 PM »

I'm of the view that whether a name change will go through will depend on several factors

1: The importance of your country, ironic the less people give a f**k about you, the easier it is to get a name change through.
2: How easy is the new name to say.
3: How legitimate is your government, no one will care about the name change if they expect you to be gone in the new future.
4: Is it a return to an earlier name?
5: How big a a** is you about the name change?

As for the name change to Tyrkije (y can be used instead of ü and j can be used a consonant version of y). I doubt anyone will adopt the new name; at most it will be a name used in official papers, but I doubt even public owned medias will make use of it. The name change is seen as idiocy by increasing deranged and illegitimate Turkish leader.

When Czechoslovakia was no more, I was sad. Such an awesome name.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2022, 04:50:51 PM »

Reported
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2022, 05:23:35 PM »

Alright fine we'll call Erdogan's country Türkiye if he says so.  But the bird is also being renamed Türkiye.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies