Is there any conceivable scenario in which JFK loses reelection in 1964?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:08:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Is there any conceivable scenario in which JFK loses reelection in 1964?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there any conceivable scenario in which JFK loses reelection in 1964?  (Read 384 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2022, 02:11:22 PM »

Assuming John Kennedy is not assassinated on November 22, 1963 and his term prior to that goes exactly as it did. Is there any conceivable scenario here in which he loses reelection? The general consensus is that he would have won reelection quite handily, especially against Goldwater, although not exactly by as much as LBJ won the 1964 election.

I think neither Goldwater nor Nixon a rematch could have done it. However, if the Bobby Baker scandal moves on, Kennedy appearing indecisive on Vietnam and Nelson Rockefeller doesn't divorce from his first wife, I could see Rocky actually pulling it off.

Thoughts?
Make America Grumpy Again
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 02:21:50 PM »

I doubt it but I assume if Vietnam ends up the way it was IOTL or if Cuba is somehow worse than I anticipate he'd lose popularity in his 2nd term. Either that or Civil Rights would become that much more inflammatory as most moderate Southerners who overlook it when LBJ did it would not take too kindly to it. Assuming the riots that proceeded it are that much worse, we could see Governor Wallace successfully deadlock the E.C. which at the day would likely lead to a Nixon Presidency but a very contested outcome that at worst could lead to a second Civil War.
ListMan38
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 03:34:43 PM »

Vietnam quickly goes south and Repubs nominate GeoRo or Rocky
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 02:36:50 AM »

It would have to be a perfect storm. Health problems, affair scandals, a failed legislative push for civil rights causing a George Wallace primary challenge and/or a Ross Barnett third-party run, a Republican candidate capable of winning over some of the New Deal Coalition, maybe Operation Northwoods being approved and then getting leaked during an unending guerrilla war in Cuba if you want to get wild.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies