It seems to be "confirmed" that Russia will fully invade Ukraine next week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 11:42:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  It seems to be "confirmed" that Russia will fully invade Ukraine next week
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: It seems to be "confirmed" that Russia will fully invade Ukraine next week  (Read 4549 times)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2022, 09:36:43 AM »

I think it's a good thing that the Biden administration and NATO are getting out ahead of Putin's preferred narrative. It's preventing his chosen talking points from dominating the news and then trying to push back against it. I don't know how long it can keep working,
How do you know it's working? Per Ukraine it's working in that sense that it's hurting their economy.
but I don't know how long Putin can keep a large majority of his country's military on Ukraine's borders, either.
Majority? 15% is not majority.
I do think its better than the hesitant uncertainty of Obama, or the degenerate servility of Trump, regarding Putin's Russian government.
Name at least 1 (one) thing that Trump served to Putin. Mean tweets doesn't count  Afro

Example: NS2 is what Biden served to Putin, oh, sorry, my bad , I mean served to Germany.

Well there was that time where he sided with Putin over his own intelligence agencies.

When I said "thing", I, of course, meant thing of *value*. Mean tweets doesn't count was a hint. As I said earlier, Putin doesn't give a sh*t about words.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2022, 09:48:00 AM »

It has already started, my pro-Russian sources have told me worrying things. Stay tuned tonight.
Lol. Fake news.

Spreading rumors is part of the intelligence activity.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2022, 03:30:17 PM »

Looks like the invasion could start in the next 24 hours. Russian separatists have ordered an evacuation to Russia. Shelling has gotten more intense
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2022, 03:34:35 PM »

Looks like the invasion could start in the next 24 hours. Russian separatists have ordered an evacuation to Russia. Shelling has gotten more intense

Or Putin is bluffing and thinks he can make Biden look stupid if an invasion doesn't happen ("see, Biden and Americans are always lying about my motives").
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2022, 03:37:42 PM »

Or Putin is bluffing and thinks he can make Biden look stupid if an invasion doesn't happen ("see, Biden and Americans are always lying about my motives").

Which gains what for him?
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2022, 03:38:50 PM »

Russia isn't invading Ukraine they are putting pressure on NATO not to admit Ukraine and Ukraine should declare it's Neutrality, Nordstrom 2 won't be happening if Putin invades
Based Olawakandi???

>implying he wasn't already based to begin with
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2022, 03:44:46 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2022, 03:50:46 PM »

Biden keeps "predicting" this to bluff the Russians, Putin doesn't want to prove the US right. Stace it off long enough and Russia will have to go through the mud.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2022, 03:54:08 PM »

A propaganda victory and dividing Western allies up. An invasion would at least have to go beyond the two eastern territories which are already under Russian control.

I'm not saying the invasion will not happen, just that this could be a bluff. I'm not even sure Putin has finally decided what to do and still weighing his options.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2022, 05:04:24 PM »

Biden just said in his press conference that he believes Putin has made the decision to invade.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2022, 05:40:54 PM »

Biden just said in his press conference that he believes Putin has made the decision to invade.

I'm talking about Putin here: stupid is as stupid does.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2022, 06:11:29 PM »

He said, too, that Russia is going to take Kiev...

We have reason to believe Russian forces intend to attack Ukraine in the coming days. We believe they intend to attack Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2022, 06:15:27 PM »

He basically implies that Putin won't attack to own/troll Biden, which is ridiculous - Putin is not 3 years old. IDK if Putin invades or not, but his decision won't have anything to do with "make Biden look stupid" dough.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »

A propaganda victory and dividing Western allies up. An invasion would at least have to go beyond the two eastern territories which are already under Russian control.

I'm not saying the invasion will not happen, just that this could be a bluff. I'm not even sure Putin has finally decided what to do and still weighing his options.

I'm thinking whatever Putin's government's exact plans are, they're more complex than "just invade" or "bluff". (I really thought it was "just invade and get it done", but obviously I was wrong and that did not happen, yet.) The escalation we're seeing has been steady - demands, vehicle movements, supporting equipment moved into place, troops assembled and moved, cyberattacks, pro-intervention domestic propaganda the whole time, fake withdrawals, forces moved into ready positions, escalation of violence in the occupied portion of Ukraine and along the line of contact, more propaganda. I don't think this pattern will stop once tanks start moving and (more) weapons start firing. The eventual attack may very well not come all at once.

Push out Donetsk and Luhansk to their claimed borders (including Mariupol).
Blockade Ukrainian ports.
Sabotage, assassinations, fake uprisings, cyberattacks.
Air and missile strikes, maybe just a few, maybe in waves to hit key economic or air defense targets.
An amphibious assault, or the threat of one.
Advancing into eastern or northern Ukraine.
Attempting to seize Kharkiv, through fake insurrection or an outright attack.
Threatening Kyiv, with airstrikes or armies in the field. 

This could all be tried in one massive knock-out punch. (That's mostly how the US invaded Iraq, just with a wave of airstrikes first.) But if Putin's administration does it one escalation at a time, they'll have more chances to panic or bully Ukraine's people and government, more opportunities to drive wedges into NATO, more time for the world to get tired of "Russian forces escalated a little more in Ukraine today, maybe".
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #139 on: February 18, 2022, 07:52:44 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2022, 07:56:51 PM »

So if they invade, it’s gonna be an outright conquest.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2022, 08:23:35 PM »

Steele dossier energy here, same as with capture of Kiev. Biden would be imo better off, if they only pushed credible intel. Things like these make me seriously consider they do it in order to put pressure on Ukraine to make concessions. Otherwise, I don't understand why would they "leak" it  Huh
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2022, 02:10:08 AM »

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2022, 03:52:39 PM »

I'm willing to bet $50, on 2:1 odds (e.g. if you win I'll give you $100), that Russia will not invade Ukraine before the spring melt. Is anyone willing to take me on that bet?
Awful take. Did anybody take you up on that bet?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2022, 09:16:51 AM »

I'm willing to bet $50, on 2:1 odds (e.g. if you win I'll give you $100), that Russia will not invade Ukraine before the spring melt. Is anyone willing to take me on that bet?
Awful take. Did anybody take you up on that bet?

Nope, no takers. And yes, I was very wrong and have no issue admitting it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies