Flip the 19th (interest/sign-up thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Flip the 19th (interest/sign-up thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Flip the 19th (interest/sign-up thread)  (Read 349 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2022, 06:15:37 PM »
« edited: February 07, 2022, 05:58:34 PM by Violence and Rioting are not Legitimate! »

Flip the 19th
(a ripoff of East of the Merrimack, Flip the 6th and Flip the 8th, by KaiserDave, OBD and CentristRepublican respectively)

This game is about a congressional race in Upstate New York, more specifically the new 19th congressional district, which contains all of Delaware, Greene, and Columbia counties, as well as parts of Oneida, Madison, Chenango, Broome, Otsego, Albany, Rensselaer, Ulster, and Dutchess counties. The district's most populous city is Utica. It is 79% White, 7% Hispanic, 7% Black, 5% Asian, 2% Native American, 0.1% Pacific Islander. It has the following voting history:

2016/2020 PVI: D + 1.6
Senator 2016: Schumer + 29.5
President 2016: Clinton + 2.3
Attorney General 2018: James + 9.3
Governor 2018: Molinaro + 3.1
Senator 2018: Gillibrand + 19.8
2012/2016 PVI: D + 2.1
President 2020: Biden + 10.0

Here are the rules:

1. No Violating the Rules of this Blog

2. No Powergaming, Metagaming, etc.

3. Be polite please, rudeness ain't needed. Be considerate and kind towards your fellow players and blog posters.

4. Be reasonable and stick to realism.

5. If you commit to playing a big role, please stay active. And lengthy and complete inactivity without any message or reasoning will result in removal.

6. No cheating, I don't know how you would but don't do it

7. Characters, and this is very important, must be well rounded and sensible. I will not accept God-like characters. Within those constraints, get creative!

7. Have fun!

8. If you have any suggestions, please provide!

And here is the info:

1. The game will commence on February1, one day before the 2021 gubernatorial elections, right before the map passed. The primary elements will be schedules, speeches, debates, interviews, endorsements, and the like. Events earlier than February 2022 are not required, but can still help one's standing.

2. I will incorporate news. Assume that any events that happen OTL happen in this TL. Additionally, assume that all OTL politicians exist, except for those that conflict with player characters (e.g. if the player represents a CO House seat, the current representative from that seat does not exist for this game's purposes).

3. Detail is good. Go into depth about the locations you visit, and try to tailor your campaigns to them. Results are calculated on the county level so this can and will affect your numbers!

And lastly, the character app. Once again borrowing from Kaiser/OBD/CentristRepublican.

Character App
Name:
Hometown:
Current Residence:
Political Party:
Background:
Political Record*:
Visual Description**:
Additional Information:

*Tell us more about your character's time in politics, if they're a local lawmaker what have they prioritized, what are some important votes they've taken on controversial issues. If they're a private sector outsider who have they fundraised for or publicly supported, what are some issues where they've been vocal?

**Image not required

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 06:29:08 PM »

All of these games are Cheap Chinese knockoffs of my game, except for OBD, who gave credit
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 07:05:54 PM »

KaiserDave is correct; none of these games would’ve happened without the success of East of the Merrimack, and they are all technically ripoffs of that game.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 09:42:03 PM »

All of these games are Cheap Chinese knockoffs of my game, except for OBD, who gave credit

Well, by extension, yeah, though I'd point out that Flip the 6th, Flip the 8th, and Flip the 19th have significant similarities that East of the Merrimack does not - for one thing, they are based in the present moment / near future while I believe East of the Merrimack is more historical. Anyway, here's basically what's happened with these games:

1. You came up with East of the Merrimack.
2. Crediting you, OBD came up with Flip the 6th, which was kind of similar but had enough differences.
3. Crediting OBD, I came up with Flip the 8th, which was Flip the 6th but in the actual CO-08 except of the fictional OR-06 and which was slightly different as far as gameplay is concerned (in Flip the 6th, points are used and you spend 4 points a round; in my game, you get a certain amount of cash and you spend/earn more as needed)
4. Crediting OBD and I, Greg came up with Fip the 19th (not quite the same ring to it but I like it).

What I will give you is that it's funny that all 3 of us have basically just copy pasted the rules of your game onto our templates.

But you shouldn't really be that upset. It's a testament to the success of the legacy of your game that 3 games were created that were directly or indirectly inspired by it.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 09:43:09 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2022, 09:48:53 PM by Senator CentristRepublican »

Anyway...I might consider joining this game, but for now, I'll hold off. Wait to see if any further interest materializes and how many / who join the game.

EDIT: I might also not play because I'm curating Flip the 8th - no activity there currently but there may be some soon now that I put out another reminder - and am playing in Flip the 6th - which just restarted after a break yesterday/today.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 02:42:55 PM »

Look now
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 03:10:45 PM »

Look now

I'm glad that "KaizerDave" got credit.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 05:58:44 PM »

Look now

I'm glad that "KaizerDave" got credit.
Fixed
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 05:50:45 PM »

It's looking like this game will not happen at the moment