Would you convert to Islam for a million dollars? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:28:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Would you convert to Islam for a million dollars? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes
No
Already a Muslim
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Would you convert to Islam for a million dollars?  (Read 2469 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: February 04, 2022, 04:49:06 AM »

I'm inclined to say no. Islam seems to require a certain sacrifice of the flesh for some reason. I'd have a higher and better opinion if it wasn't for that.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 06:01:57 AM »

It's my understanding that Islam requires a certain operation that most males would find objectionable. I wouldn't cut off an earlobe for $30, let alone certain other things. I've always found the practice to be quite strange for Muslims on account of the Quran's words when it comes to respect and preservation of the body as created.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 07:48:47 AM »

It's my understanding that Islam requires a certain operation that most males would find objectionable. I wouldn't cut off an earlobe for $30, let alone certain other things. I've always found the practice to be quite strange for Muslims on account of the Quran's words when it comes to respect and preservation of the body as created.
What kind of operation are you talking about?

I'm not sure what my libertarian friend above is thinking, but I don't find the prospect of adult circumcision to be particularly appealing. It is my understanding that current Islamic teachings requires such, despite not being found in the Quran.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 01:51:06 PM »

I was born into a Muslim family and must have been circumsized when I was mere days old, so I guess it's no surprise I was puzzled at your question.
If Quora answers (I had to look this topic up) are anything to go by, it's not required though. Again, though, not a fiqh scholar. It seems though that opinions vary on how important circumcision is and when it needs to happen or is required, and people can get very opinionated on this topic.

I wasn't talking about quora.com. I was talking about the Quran itself. The Quran is silent on circumcision. There are teachings and beliefs outside the Quran that are recommended or require such a practice. As I said, it does puzzle me because the Quran is rather explicit about bodily integrity. I understand why it is pushed and required in Judaism (although that practice isn't exactly the same as it was 2000 years ago - they only used to cut off the very tip so that one would almost certainly look uncircumcised these days).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies