Would you convert to Islam for a million dollars? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:11:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Would you convert to Islam for a million dollars? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes
No
Already a Muslim
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Would you convert to Islam for a million dollars?  (Read 2462 times)
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« on: February 05, 2022, 08:19:33 PM »
« edited: February 05, 2022, 08:23:15 PM by Sun Belt Booster »

Ignoring the whole million dollar "reward" in OP's question, I'm curious as to why you guys would?

Why would we not?

To me at least, it was kinda strange seeing the relative openness to converting to Islam.

... if, of course, the price is right.

Fair enough, it's not like there haven't been any financial incentives involved for people to convert to Islam before.

If you want to call "keeping your head on your shoulders" a "financial incentive," sure.

Generally speaking, Islam didn't spread because people were afraid of having their heads cut off. In fact, it took centuries for majorities of the population to accept Islam in Egypt, Iran, and the Indus Region. This isn't even to mention how Islamization happened in Southeast Asia, parts of Sub-Saharan Africa, and Central Asia. Forced conversion was the exception, not the norm, and moreover, forced conversion is prohibited in Islam anyway as laid out in Surah Baqarah Verse 256. Right and wrong are clear for any man to see.

The main reasons it took hold among the local people after military conquest are the beauty and simplicity of Islam, proselytization (which often was occurring before any military action), prestige, and economic incentives. And even with many themselves converting for personal or financial gain, their children would end up true believers.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 04:04:29 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2022, 04:10:54 PM by Sun Belt Booster »

I was born into a Muslim family and must have been circumsized when I was mere days old, so I guess it's no surprise I was puzzled at your question.
If Quora answers (I had to look this topic up) are anything to go by, it's not required though. Again, though, not a fiqh scholar. It seems though that opinions vary on how important circumcision is and when it needs to happen or is required, and people can get very opinionated on this topic.

I wasn't talking about quora.com. I was talking about the Quran itself. The Quran is silent on circumcision. There are teachings and beliefs outside the Quran that are recommended or require such a practice. As I said, it does puzzle me because the Quran is rather explicit about bodily integrity. I understand why it is pushed and required in Judaism (although that practice isn't exactly the same as it was 2000 years ago - they only used to cut off the very tip so that one would almost certainly look uncircumcised these days).

The Hadith are a part of Islam as well and remain very important, unless you want to become an actual Quranist, which is laughable (for lack of a better word) for many reasons. There are many reasons that the vast majority of Muslims and Muslim scholars regard the Hadith with high significance. The Qur'an tells us to obey the commands of Muhammad (SAW) and his teachings many times throughout, and it's important that we pay attention to what he's done. The Hadith give direction on the specifics of Islam and how to live, such as the way we pray (which also isn't mentioned word-for-word in the Quran) and how to do Wudu.

Circumcision is Sunnah and following in the footsteps of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is very important in Islam. Moreover, most Muslims view circumcision as fitrah the same way trimming your mustache, cutting your nails, and shaving pubic hair is. Even though they differentiates in that circumcision is permanent, it still falls under that category. So we don't view circumcision as a violation of body integrity the same way cutting your nails isn't a violation of body integrity. There's some difference of opinion whether it's mandatory or recommended, but it's easy enough to do that virtually all male Muslims have been circumcised, both of those living in the past and today.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies