Would you convert to Islam for a million dollars?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:06:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Would you convert to Islam for a million dollars?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes
No
Already a Muslim
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Would you convert to Islam for a million dollars?  (Read 2439 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2022, 11:58:18 PM »

Such an action would indicate low ethical standards in my book.

Yeah, but we're on Atlas Forum here.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2022, 11:58:58 PM »

Such an action would indicate low ethical standards in my book.

Why?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2022, 01:06:30 AM »

Islam is a misognystic, homophobic religion...no wait, I thought that was Catholicism.

Seriously, though, because of the perception that  Islam is an exceptionally mysognystic religion (which, let's face it, it is, in some ways).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2022, 01:53:39 AM »

Islam is a misognystic, homophobic religion...no wait, I thought that was Catholicism.

Seriously, though, because of the perception that  Islam is an exceptionally mysognystic religion (which, let's face it, it is, in some ways).

Wow. Not only this, but I already have a beard and I don't drink. If I converted, I'd barely have to alter my lifestyle.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2022, 06:01:57 AM »

It's my understanding that Islam requires a certain operation that most males would find objectionable. I wouldn't cut off an earlobe for $30, let alone certain other things. I've always found the practice to be quite strange for Muslims on account of the Quran's words when it comes to respect and preservation of the body as created.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2022, 06:15:29 AM »

It's my understanding that Islam requires a certain operation that most males would find objectionable. I wouldn't cut off an earlobe for $30, let alone certain other things. I've always found the practice to be quite strange for Muslims on account of the Quran's words when it comes to respect and preservation of the body as created.
What kind of operation are you talking about?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2022, 07:48:47 AM »

I'm not sure what my libertarian friend above is thinking, but I don't find the prospect of adult circumcision to be particularly appealing. It is my understanding that current Islamic teachings requires such, despite not being found in the Quran.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2022, 10:04:27 AM »

I'm not sure what my libertarian friend above is thinking, but I don't find the prospect of adult circumcision to be particularly appealing. It is my understanding that current Islamic teachings requires such, despite not being found in the Quran.
I was born into a Muslim family and must have been circumsized when I was mere days old, so I guess it's no surprise I was puzzled at your question.
If Quora answers (I had to look this topic up) are anything to go by, it's not required though. Again, though, not a fiqh scholar. It seems though that opinions vary on how important circumcision is and when it needs to happen or is required, and people can get very opinionated on this topic.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2022, 01:26:26 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2022, 10:19:53 PM by BigSerg »

Actually, there was a time when I had a "crisis of faith" and came close to converting to Islam. I was very disillusioned with the Catholic Church's capitulation to abortion, gay marriage and the culture war, and came to believe that the only way for Abrahamic values to survive was for Islam to become the dominant religion worldwide. I read the Quran and Sahih al-Bukhari and even visited a mosque, but my faith in Jesus prevented me from converting to Islam. If Islam would reform, clearly accepting Jesus/Isa as prophet and son of god, then I would convert immediately.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2022, 01:51:06 PM »

I was born into a Muslim family and must have been circumsized when I was mere days old, so I guess it's no surprise I was puzzled at your question.
If Quora answers (I had to look this topic up) are anything to go by, it's not required though. Again, though, not a fiqh scholar. It seems though that opinions vary on how important circumcision is and when it needs to happen or is required, and people can get very opinionated on this topic.

I wasn't talking about quora.com. I was talking about the Quran itself. The Quran is silent on circumcision. There are teachings and beliefs outside the Quran that are recommended or require such a practice. As I said, it does puzzle me because the Quran is rather explicit about bodily integrity. I understand why it is pushed and required in Judaism (although that practice isn't exactly the same as it was 2000 years ago - they only used to cut off the very tip so that one would almost certainly look uncircumcised these days).
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2022, 04:04:29 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2022, 04:10:54 PM by Sun Belt Booster »

I wasn't talking about quora.com. I was talking about the Quran itself. The Quran is silent on circumcision. There are teachings and beliefs outside the Quran that are recommended or require such a practice. As I said, it does puzzle me because the Quran is rather explicit about bodily integrity. I understand why it is pushed and required in Judaism (although that practice isn't exactly the same as it was 2000 years ago - they only used to cut off the very tip so that one would almost certainly look uncircumcised these days).

The Hadith are a part of Islam as well and remain very important, unless you want to become an actual Quranist, which is laughable (for lack of a better word) for many reasons. There are many reasons that the vast majority of Muslims and Muslim scholars regard the Hadith with high significance. The Qur'an tells us to obey the commands of Muhammad (SAW) and his teachings many times throughout, and it's important that we pay attention to what he's done. The Hadith give direction on the specifics of Islam and how to live, such as the way we pray (which also isn't mentioned word-for-word in the Quran) and how to do Wudu.

Circumcision is Sunnah and following in the footsteps of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is very important in Islam. Moreover, most Muslims view circumcision as fitrah the same way trimming your mustache, cutting your nails, and shaving pubic hair is. Even though they differentiates in that circumcision is permanent, it still falls under that category. So we don't view circumcision as a violation of body integrity the same way cutting your nails isn't a violation of body integrity. There's some difference of opinion whether it's mandatory or recommended, but it's easy enough to do that virtually all male Muslims have been circumcised, both of those living in the past and today.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2022, 08:08:24 PM »

All Religions Buddha 1200 AD Juda, Moses 1200 BC Islam Allah 600AD, Christianity 300 AD started with Catholicism, Prophets are portals to Heaven and each of them were Mortals Jesus Ossuary Box if it's true, and used Miracles as a Message of God and at Judgement Day or incarnation of the soul to a new Life thru rapture or Earthly life is separates religion from science

So, it doesn't matter what religion you are Secularist and Traditional is within politics and religion ITSELF
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2022, 11:57:08 PM »

Only if I could still be a Christian too. Not sure if that would work.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2022, 05:35:18 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2022, 10:29:38 PM by Alex »

A million dollars is a million dollars, habib(t)i
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2022, 09:20:15 PM »

Ignoring the whole million dollar "reward" in OP's question, I'm curious as to why you guys would?

Because it’s pretty much a question about whether you’re willing to cut your foreskin and stop eating bacon for a million dollars. He’s paying a million dollars for a superficial change in religion not a real change.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2022, 09:23:05 PM »

Not a chance.  I know Christianity is true and will not jeopardize eternal life for money.

Well you could just convert to Islam and keep being Christian, it’s not like he’s a mindreader.
SInNYC

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2022, 03:56:55 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2022, 04:00:44 PM by SInNYC »

I would convert to anything for a million bucks, as long as I dont need to practice whatever it is that particular version of that religion wants me to. I'd even be willing to attend some speech a couple of hours a week or avoid a certain food.

I'm an atheist so its not like I believe anything will happen to me for falsely claiming a belief.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2022, 05:42:00 PM »

Not a chance.

Not a chance.  I know Christianity is true and will not jeopardize eternal life for money.

Well you could just convert to Islam and keep being Christian, it’s not like he’s a mindreader.

Matthew 10:33 comes to mind: "But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in heaven." I know Islam professes Jesus to be the Messiah, but the Christian understanding of Him is very different and this difference is fundamental and non-negotiable.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2022, 11:11:53 PM »

Not a chance.

Not a chance.  I know Christianity is true and will not jeopardize eternal life for money.

Matthew 10:33 comes to mind: "But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in heaven." I know Islam professes Jesus to be the Messiah, but the Christian understanding of Him is very different and this difference is fundamental and non-negotiable.
Say a fundamentalist Islamic regime took over and banned any open practice of Christianity, forcing Christians to officially convert to Islam. Would a Christian who publicly converts to Islam but practices Christianity in secret still be a Christian under your definition?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2022, 11:50:55 PM »

Not a chance.

Say a fundamentalist Islamic regime took over and banned any open practice of Christianity, forcing Christians to officially convert to Islam. Would a Christian who publicly converts to Islam but practices Christianity in secret still be a Christian under your definition?

It's not my place to say who is or isn't a Christian, but any Christian who pretends to practice another religion to avoid persecution is treading extremely dangerous ground.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2022, 12:15:07 PM »

Not a chance.

It's not my place to say who is or isn't a Christian, but any Christian who pretends to practice another religion to avoid persecution is treading extremely dangerous ground.

Tough, Donatism was declared a heresy years ago.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2022, 02:51:48 PM »

Actually, there was a time when I had a "crisis of faith" and came close to converting to Islam. I was very disillusioned with the Catholic Church's capitulation to abortion, gay marriage and the culture war, and came to believe that the only way for Abrahamic values to survive was for Islam to become the dominant religion worldwide. I read the Quran and Sahih al-Bukhari and even visited a mosque, but my faith in Jesus prevented me from converting to Islam. If Islam would reform, clearly accepting Jesus/Isa as prophet and son of god, then I would convert immediately.

"If Islam became Christianity, I would become a Muslim."
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2022, 03:13:29 PM »

I believe immigrants should convert to the religion of the society they choose to settle in. It's what I did (convert to quasi-atheism), it's what my parents did. If I moved to Dubai (something I am increasingly considering due to developments in the godless West) and decided to settle there (something which is now possible), I would convert to Islam, although preferably a more fundamentalist strain than what converts are usually funneled into.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2022, 04:02:19 PM »

Not a chance.

Tough, Donatism was declared a heresy years ago.

What I said wasn't Donatist though.
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2022, 04:34:26 PM »

If a wealthy Muslim businessman approached you and said he would give you a million dollars if you converted to Islam on the spot, would you accept?

Sure I'm atheist so I have nothing to jeopardize but my internal sense of integrity. For that kind of money I'll be a practicing Muslim and send some back in the offering plate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies