2022 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:37:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2022 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2022 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election  (Read 39145 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« on: February 21, 2022, 06:17:59 AM »

The issue with Pierre is that despite his populist platform and rethoric he's too much of an ideloige and has a distinct track record. The liberals will be able to easily bury him with their traditional anti conservative message which he won't able to respond too credibly.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 06:18:00 AM »

I think one big problem with Poilievre goes beyond his rabidly rightwing policies. The guy is utterly charmless and is from central casting as "the mean guy". You watch him speak and he is grim humourless, sarcastic and seems like he would take pleasure from tearing the wings off flies in his spare time. He is NOT a nice person at all.

I'm not saying that to be successful a party leader has to be "Mr. Nice guy" - but there has to be some personality trait people can connect with. Poilievre is yet another beady-eyed, hyperpartisan life long political nerd who was probably holed up in his bedroom at the age of 16 reading the Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand. Poilievre manages to make Stephen Harper look like Mr. Congeniality

I know there is a segment of the far right that is attracted to mean-spirited, pitiless politicians (one need only look at Trump) - but I think that among Canadians as a whole, this will be a liability.
Harper had a reputation pre-leadership of being a rabid right-winger from the reform party. He was able to move past-it. Poilievre might be able to make a similar transition.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 09:58:44 PM »

I keep thinking Poilievre is Quebec, instead of the more interesting franco-albertan. Does anyone know how well he speaks french ?. Will his name have any effect at all in Quebec ?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 09:51:03 PM »

Libertarian is a clunky word to describe what Poillievre is doing. It conjures up images of that guy who turned himself blue from eating sliver and Gary Johnson being booed for supporting drivers licenses. Besides "get the government out of _______" or "scrap the _______ tax" have been bog standard conservative talking points for decades. It's hardly a uniquely libertarian thing.

I'd work backwards from Laddicus' point: Poillievre is trying to appeal to young people, particularly younger men because he (or his staff) feel they have been underserved by other parties/factions and could be won over. Therefore he talks about making it easier to build homes, or use crypto because younger men like those things and they work with his existing political identity/base.
The issue is that things like crypto are pretty fringe and popular among a demographic unlikely to have membership to vote in the leadership election while allowing your opponents to paint you as some sort of kook
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 01:05:30 AM »

And as I indicated, trends like this also reflect the pattern.

https://hechingerreport.org/the-pandemic-is-speeding-up-the-mass-disappearance-of-men-from-college/

Almost like, stuff like crypto investment standing as proof for its champions that "college isn't necessary".
How many non-college voters are there going to be in even the conservative leadership election ?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 11:24:46 AM »

How well is Browns ethenic machine stratagey working ?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 12:17:48 PM »

If it's Tue, he's basically won.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 05:28:11 AM »

Not much of a race right now, pretty much a Pollivere Coronation.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 09:57:46 AM »

I'm kind of surprised the vote here isn't until Sep. 10.

Are Canadian leadership races typically this long?

Yes. Just look at the other threads in this forum. The UCP race is in October and the ONDP race is not until March. And for an extreme case, the PEI Liberals haven't replaced their leader in 3 years.
What the actual eff is going on there ?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies