#Metoo in a Hillary Clinton timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:09:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  #Metoo in a Hillary Clinton timeline
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: #Metoo in a Hillary Clinton timeline  (Read 993 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2022, 07:50:43 AM »

What changes with this if she’s President???
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 07:06:44 AM »

Hillary would get a (possibly nominal) primary challenge from a #MeToo activist, given who she's been married to since 1975. Other than that, no changes.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 07:43:13 AM »

Hillary would get a (possibly nominal) primary challenge from a #MeToo activist, given who she's been married to since 1975. Other than that, no changes.
True. I can see a low level challenge in this 2020.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 12:23:36 PM »

I could see the movement forming more of a coalition with the SoCon right in this world. 
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 11:36:48 AM »

Clinton's election wouldn't prevent the Weinstein scandal and all the other dominos that tipped over, before anyone tries to claim that. She would probably offer limited moral support at first and quietly retire the First Gentleman from public life, then go on the offense if progressives or opportunistic conservatives made Bill a big enough issue. The extent to which the Bill issue drives a wedge between Democrats, and how well the party is able to co-opt #MeToo, is less clear, but the country is too preoccupied in 2020 to decide the election based solely on it. I think the disillusionment it creates ends up being a small contributing factor to a Clinton loss.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 05:58:48 AM »

Clinton's election wouldn't prevent the Weinstein scandal and all the other dominos that tipped over, before anyone tries to claim that. She would probably offer limited moral support at first and quietly retire the First Gentleman from public life, then go on the offense if progressives or opportunistic conservatives made Bill a big enough issue. The extent to which the Bill issue drives a wedge between Democrats, and how well the party is able to co-opt #MeToo, is less clear, but the country is too preoccupied in 2020 to decide the election based solely on it. I think the disillusionment it creates ends up being a small contributing factor to a Clinton loss.
Definitely. Would Bernie run again in 2020 in this universe? I definitely can imagine the left wing of the party hating her for obvious reasons. Bill’s presidency would look worse in hindsight in this universe too.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 07:46:21 PM »

Definitely. Would Bernie run again in 2020 in this universe? I definitely can imagine the left wing of the party hating her for obvious reasons. Bill’s presidency would look worse in hindsight in this universe too.

Possibly, but I think someone like Gillibrand, given her statements on Bill Clinton IRL, would have a better chance of getting traction against Hillary, and if she plays her cards right might be able to either force her out of the race or successfully beat her in the primaries.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 10:10:57 PM »

I'm actually going to go with it having next to no impact on the presidency. I think that there would be some pundit outrage over Bill and a handful of feminist protests at political events but that wouldn't last long, so by the time some feminist runs against Hillary in the 2020 primary it won't have much of an impact at all. Franken also likely doesn't resign.

Now, on the Republican side, I think that a Trump loss followed by MeToo drama in the Clinton presidency would result in the GOP going all in on social issues, which would probably result in a big Republican loss in 2020 after the election of a bunch of annoying, do-nothing SoCon activists to Congress in 2018.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 10:44:36 PM »

It wouldn’t even get off the ground
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 11:40:42 AM »

Possibly, but I think someone like Gillibrand, given her statements on Bill Clinton IRL, would have a better chance of getting traction against Hillary, and if she plays her cards right might be able to either force her out of the race or successfully beat her in the primaries.
Or even be like Reagan in 1976 where she’s badly damaged.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 09:20:00 AM »

It wouldn’t even get off the ground

The Harvey Weinstein scandal was baked in by the point of departure, and, like so many similar movements, was a case of such insane depravity that it forced a bunch of other situations to come to light. What might be different is the public reception and reaction to these stories, though.

I can't imagine a point of departure in Nov 2016 in which Harvey Weinstein isn't exposed less than a year later. The wheels were already well in motion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies