Winningest state? Loser state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:26:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Winningest state? Loser state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Winningest state? Loser state?  (Read 3651 times)
zorkpolitics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2004, 08:02:22 PM »

What state has voted with the winner the most since 1900?

What state ha svoted for a loser the most?
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 08:05:17 PM »

Hmm...I don't have much to do so I will try and figure it out.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 08:10:10 PM »

Missouri has voted for the winner since 1956 or something like that
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 08:13:12 PM »

Missuori voted for the winner *every time* in the 20th century, with the one exception of 1956.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 08:35:59 PM »

Yeah I believe Missouri went for the winner in every election since 1896 with the exception of 1956 (went for Stevenson) The question is, which state went for the losing candidate the most???
zachman

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 08:44:39 PM »

Yeah I believe Missouri went for the winner in every election since 1896 with the exception of 1956 (went for Stevenson) The question is, which state went for the losing candidate the most???
I'm going to say Mississippi or Georgia for that.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 08:57:52 PM »

Missuori voted for the winner *every time* in the 20th century, with the one exception of 1956.

MO is an interesting state, it rarely was carried by more than a few % and the one time it didn't go for the winner in 1956 Eisenhower lost MO by only .2%!.
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 09:05:34 PM »

Since 1900, Missouri and Ohio have each voted for the winning President 24 of 26 times.

Missouri: "wrong" in 1900 and 1956.
Ohio: "wrong" in 1944 and 1960.

Mississippi is the worst state. It voted for the winning President 12 out of 26 times. I'll get a full breakdown up in a few.
Manuntius

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 09:15:57 PM »

Being from Tennessee I know we have gone in the winners column 21 of the last 23 elections, so I feel it is a good bellweather state.  The only times it hasn't been carried by the winner since Williams Jennings Bryan last carried it was 1924 (John Davis) and 1960 (Richard Nixon).  I felt is was under stated in 2000 that if Al Gore had carried his home state of TN it wouldn't have matted who carried Florida, he would be President.  I know in the past some candidates have not carried their home state but usually in an election where they were whipped badly (i.e., McGovern, Alf Landon).  I don't think there is any other time when the home state denied the favorite son the presidency.

On the subject of carried the least, I would have guessed maybe Mississippi too.  Both my parents were born there, and I always found it bizzare that in 3 out of 6 elections (1948 to 1968) Mississippi went for neither the Republican or Democrat.  That is about as far out in the political wilderness as a state can get.

Two other trivia notes about Tennessee; in the five Presidential elections where Whigs got electoral votes (1836-1852) Tennessee went for the Whigs every time, along with Kentucky and Vermont.  I don't know why they were such a bastion of Whigism.  Also, Tennesse was the first state to break with the Solid South, in 1920, going for Harding.  It was the first time since Reconstruction, 10 straight elections, that all eleven confederate states did not go Democratic.  
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 09:28:13 PM »

Since 1900:

24: Missouri
      Ohio

23: Nevada

22: California
      Delaware
      Illinois
      Maryland
      Montana
      New Jersey

21: Idaho
      New Hampshire
      New Mexico (beginning in 1912)
      New York
      Tennessee
      Utah
      West Virginia
      Wyoming

20: Connecticut
      Massachusetts
      Oregon
      Pennsylvania
      Rhode Island
      Washington
      Wisconsin

19: Arizona (beginning in 1912)
      Colorado
      Florida
      Iowa
      Kansas
      Kentucky
      Michigan
      Minnesota
      North Dakota
      Oklahoma (beginning in 1908)

18: Indiana
      Nebraska
      Texas

17: Arkansas
      North Carolina
      South Dakota
      Virginia

16: Louisiana
      Maine

15: Georgia
      Vermont

14: South Carolina

13: Alabama

12: Mississippi

7: Alaska (beginning in 1960)
    Hawaii (beginning in 1960)

4: Washington, D.C. (beginning in 1968)
OldTexas
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 10:07:34 PM »

Ominous sign, Kerry is leading in Mississippi in the straw poll.  Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 05:31:24 AM »

Mississippi and Vermont seem to be big losers.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 06:34:46 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2004, 12:43:30 PM by Governor Wildcard »

Another interesting fact I've found is the person who has won atleast 3 out of these 5 states

Arkansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and Louisiana has won the election since 1900.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 10:22:18 AM »

Being from Tennessee I know we have gone in the winners column 21 of the last 23 elections, so I feel it is a good bellweather state.  The only times it hasn't been carried by the winner since Williams Jennings Bryan last carried it was 1924 (John Davis) and 1960 (Richard Nixon).  I felt is was under stated in 2000 that if Al Gore had carried his home state of TN it wouldn't have matted who carried Florida, he would be President.  I know in the past some candidates have not carried their home state but usually in an election where they were whipped badly (i.e., McGovern, Alf Landon).  I don't think there is any other time when the home state denied the favorite son the presidency.

Grover Cleveland lost the presidency by losing his homestate of New York in 1888, if memory serves. (And like Gore, he won the popular vote!)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2004, 09:44:57 AM »

Another interesting fact I've found is the person who has won atleast 3 out of these 5 states

Arkansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and Louisiana has won the election since 1900.

Yes, I've heard of this theory too. These 5 states are sometimes called the "Baker's Man" as they sort of look like a profile of a baker. Minnesota is his hat, Iowa his face, Missouri his belly, Arkansas his legs, and Louisiana his feet. Smiley

It's also not surprising, since all 5 are at least modestly swing states.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2004, 09:47:28 AM »

On the subject of carried the least, I would have guessed maybe Mississippi too.  Both my parents were born there, and I always found it bizzare that in 3 out of 6 elections (1948 to 1968) Mississippi went for neither the Republican or Democrat.  That is about as far out in the political wilderness as a state can get.

Two other trivia notes about Tennessee; in the five Presidential elections where Whigs got electoral votes (1836-1852) Tennessee went for the Whigs every time, along with Kentucky and Vermont.  I don't know why they were such a bastion of Whigism.  Also, Tennesse was the first state to break with the Solid South, in 1920, going for Harding.  It was the first time since Reconstruction, 10 straight elections, that all eleven confederate states did not go Democratic.  

Actually, in 1888, Cleveland lost his home state of New York, which if he had won it, would have won him the election. He also won the popular vote and lost the electoral, so there was quite a bit of symmetry between Cleveland and Gore.

Another person similar to Gore in this regard is James Polk, who, like Gore, was from Tennessee and won the nationwide popular vote, but lost Tennessee.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies