Rhode Island's 2nd Congressional District has an open seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:16:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rhode Island's 2nd Congressional District has an open seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rhode Island's 2nd Congressional District has an open seat  (Read 2571 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2022, 10:46:36 PM »

This race is Safe D. And yes, I know it was just Clinton+7. It was also Biden+14.

I still think CT-05 is more winnable for Republicans than RI-2 in 2022, but it’s good that Republicans are putting up wave insurance candidates in districts like this. While Republicans only won two New England districts in 2010 and 2014, I could see them winning as many as five in a wave this year if they’re lucky enough and candidate recruitment isn’t a complete flop.

I don’t think that (with some exceptions like college towns and extremely affluent suburban/coastal areas) the D margins in New England that we saw in 2020 are really sustainable for the party in the long term, especially in the more small-town/rural areas. I’m getting Iowa 2014 vibes from some of these places.

Except that New England is demographically so different from Iowa. More Latinos and other minorities and far fewer evangelical Christians. I would bet that the GOP takes Pappas' seat and nothing else in 2022
ME-02 is also very much winnable for the GOP considering it voted for Trump by a decent amount.

Yeah, I'd say the following New England seats could flip in 2022:

ME02 (is likelier than not to flip)
NH01 (is likelier than not to flip)
CT05 (has about a 50% chance of flipping)

Other than that - no. ME01 is very solidly blue, as is VT-AL, and all 9 of MA's seats are safe or likely Democratic, the kinds of seats that will flip only in a wave. Both RI seats are going blue as well - the less Democratic of the two, which is the seat being discussed here, was Biden+14. And in CT, aside from CT05, 3 of the other 4 seats are Biden+20 or higher, and the seat that isn't, CT02, has a strong incumbent, Joe Courtney, who will survive anything short of a tsunami.
The political geography in New England is quite favorable to Democrats. Rs win 40% or more of the vote in most of the states there but they have only a few really winnable congressional districts.

I don't know about the other states but this is 100% true in MA.

MA, CT, and to a lesser degree VT and NH this is very true. ME packs Dems a bit, and once you start getting to NY Dems become more packed exclusively into urban communities.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2022, 10:56:16 PM »

This race is Safe D. And yes, I know it was just Clinton+7. It was also Biden+14.

I still think CT-05 is more winnable for Republicans than RI-2 in 2022, but it’s good that Republicans are putting up wave insurance candidates in districts like this. While Republicans only won two New England districts in 2010 and 2014, I could see them winning as many as five in a wave this year if they’re lucky enough and candidate recruitment isn’t a complete flop.

I don’t think that (with some exceptions like college towns and extremely affluent suburban/coastal areas) the D margins in New England that we saw in 2020 are really sustainable for the party in the long term, especially in the more small-town/rural areas. I’m getting Iowa 2014 vibes from some of these places.

Except that New England is demographically so different from Iowa. More Latinos and other minorities and far fewer evangelical Christians. I would bet that the GOP takes Pappas' seat and nothing else in 2022
ME-02 is also very much winnable for the GOP considering it voted for Trump by a decent amount.

Other than that - no. ME01 is very solidly blue, as is VT-AL, and all 9 of MA's seats are safe or likely Democratic, the kinds of seats that will flip only in a wave. Both RI seats are going blue as well - the less Democratic of the two, which is the seat being discussed here, was Biden+14. And in CT, aside from CT05, 3 of the other 4 seats are Biden+20 or higher, and the seat that isn't, CT02, has a strong incumbent, Joe Courtney, who will survive anything short of a tsunami.
The political geography in New England is quite favorable to Democrats. Rs win 40% or more of the vote in most of the states there but they have only a few really winnable congressional districts.

MA, CT, and to a lesser degree VT and NH this is very true. ME packs Dems a bit, and once you start getting to NY Dems become more packed exclusively into urban communities.

VT has one at-large district. I'm not sure how political geography could possibly benefit the Democrats as far as House races are concerned. If anything, VT as a state is unlucky since it's kind of a Democratic pack (VT+NH would be a nice solid blue state, as opposed to a massively blue VT and a somewhat swingy NH).
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2022, 11:03:34 PM »

VT has one at-large district. I'm not sure how political geography could possibly benefit the Democrats as far as House races are concerned. If anything, VT as a state is unlucky since it's kind of a Democratic pack (VT+NH would be a nice solid blue state, as opposed to a massively blue VT and a somewhat swingy NH).

Not in the House but on a more granular scale Rs basically don't win any significant communities beyond a few pockets.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2022, 11:19:33 PM »

Not in the House but on a more granular scale Rs basically don't win any significant communities beyond a few pockets.

Not really. I feel like Republicans have surprisingly large numbers in the VT legislature given how poorly they do statewide.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2022, 11:22:39 PM »

Not really. I feel like Republicans have surprisingly large numbers in the VT legislature given how poorly they do statewide.

That's not because of favorable geography but more because the state legistlative districts are so small partisanship is often meaningless. You have several Rs in pretty deep Biden seats
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2022, 11:23:52 PM »

That's not because of favorable geography but more because the state legistlative districts are so small partisanship is often meaningless. You have several Rs in pretty deep Biden seats
Also Vermont Rs are mostly Rockefeller Republicans like Scott.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2022, 11:46:59 PM »

Yeah, but they win very few communities outright, and the few they win are easily overridden by Dem areas. As pointed out by others the R performance in the state leg. is a "one-party state politics is quirky" type phenomenon, like frequent R wins of the MA governorship.

If Vermont had 9 districts like Massachusetts, it would be equally difficult (or even harder) to draw a Trump 2020 seat.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2022, 11:47:54 PM »

Could you provide an example? Not that I don't believe you - I did think this might be the case to an extent, since CT also has a surprisingly moderate state legislature; I can very easily imagine several RINOs/centrist Republicans with crossover appeal who repreent double-digit Biden districts and have contemplated this as one of the reasons CT and VT have such large GOP caucuses. MA's legislature is quite noticeably more Democratic than VT (MAGOP has 3/40, or 7.5%, of seats in the MA state senate; VTGOP has 7/30, or 22.2%, of seats in the VT state senate), which I find surprising since MA voted to the right of VT in 2020. One reason for this might be that Democrats have great luck in MA in terms of how their votes are located - I was once able to draw MA's 40 senate seats in such a way that, while still drawing decent-shaped districts, I was able to get 40 Biden seats (with the least Democratic, if I remember correctly, still about Biden+2 or Biden+3).
New England Fire Squad
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.83

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2022, 08:09:50 AM »

Could you provide an example? Not that I don't believe you - I did think this might be the case to an extent, since CT also has a surprisingly moderate state legislature; I can very easily imagine several RINOs/centrist Republicans with crossover appeal who repreent double-digit Biden districts and have contemplated this as one of the reasons CT and VT have such large GOP caucuses. MA's legislature is quite noticeably more Democratic than VT (MAGOP has 3/40, or 7.5%, of seats in the MA state senate; VTGOP has 7/30, or 22.2%, of seats in the VT state senate), which I find surprising since MA voted to the right of VT in 2020. One reason for this might be that Democrats have great luck in MA in terms of how their votes are located - I was once able to draw MA's 40 senate seats in such a way that, while still drawing decent-shaped districts, I was able to get 40 Biden seats (with the least Democratic, if I remember correctly, still about Biden+2 or Biden+3).

This guy represents a district that voted for Biden by 40%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamoille_Vermont_Senate_District,_2012%E2%80%932022
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2022, 08:24:38 AM »

This guy represents a district that voted for Biden by 40%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamoille_Vermont_Senate_District,_2012%E2%80%932022

Hell, there's a Republican State Rep who won in a district where Biden got nearly 80% of the vote.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2022, 12:35:38 PM »

Also I just remembered VT's senate "districts" are counties (except for Essex and Orleans being combined), so it's not hard to imagine that the (vast) majority of the 7 GOP senators are actually from Biden seats.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2022, 08:28:09 PM »

Recent polling has shown Treasurer Seth Magaziner is more than comfortably leading the Democratic field, with all other candidates being completely unknown. It is worth noting that Magaziner is a resident of the elitist east side of Providence, which is in RI-01.

Sarah Morgenthau's entire campaign right now is solely focused on fending off accusations of being a carpetbagger (she has never been a permanent resident of Rhode Island). That alone will sink her campaign because RI hates outsiders. David Segal is racking up some progressive endorsements but that doesn't mean a lot in a state that really isn't all that progressive. Joy Fox, Omar Bah, and the others are struggling to scrape together 2-3%.

On the Republican side, Sen. Jessica de la Cruz dropped out and endorsed former Cranston mayor, and 2014 and 2018 gubernatorial nominee, Allan Fung. The super Trumpy candidate is former state Rep. Bob Lancia - he will put up a good fight against Fung but it seems unlikely he'll win the nomination.

Fung's path to beating Magaziner will be to kill it in normally blue Cranston like he did in 2018, get Trump 2016 numbers in western RI and wwc areas like Warwick, and hope for depressed Dem turnout in the heavily Latino part of Providence in the district. Certainly not impossible, and this is the best year for him to try, but this race is still Likely D.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2022, 10:01:02 PM »

A new Boston Globe / Suffolk University poll finds Allan Fung (R) leads Seth Magaziner (D) by 6 points.

https://www.wpri.com/news/elections/poll-gorbea-takes-lead-foulkes-surges-fung-on-top-for-congress/

17% undecided, but still, this is not within the margin of error. Wave incoming?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2022, 07:02:24 PM »

Fung (R) currently leads all Democrats, not just Magaziner.

https://www.wpri.com/news/elections/democrats-alarmed-at-more-signs-fung-could-win-langevin-seat-for-gop?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »

Primary day is today.

Results coming within the hour here:
https://www.ri.gov/election/results/2022/statewide_primary/
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2022, 08:04:04 PM »

Magaziner vs Fung confirmed
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2022, 01:45:36 AM »

Last thoughts? This is one a lot will have their eyes on.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2022, 09:07:18 PM »

Looks like there's only a couple hundred votes separating them, in a true tie so far, 1 hour in and 93% in.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2022, 09:49:02 PM »

Magaziner has won.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2022, 10:00:56 PM »

Beautiful. One of the most annoying races of the cycle.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies