Justice Barrett dissents to stop/prevent an execution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:26:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Justice Barrett dissents to stop/prevent an execution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Justice Barrett dissents to stop/prevent an execution  (Read 912 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2022, 02:20:45 AM »

What do we suppose happened here?

A divided Supreme Court on Thursday evening allowed Alabama to execute a man who argued that the state had failed to give him proper accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act so that he could select his method of execution. In doing so, the justices overturned two lower-court rulings that had barred Alabama from performing the execution by lethal injection. The vote was 5-4, with Justice Amy Coney Barrett and the court’s three liberal justices dissenting.

While the main dissent was from the three liberals and Justice Barrett did not join it (and did not otherwise expatiate upon her thoughts), I thought it was quite interesting that she dissented on a death penalty case and broke away from the other conservatives. When she first joined the Court, my first assumption was that she'd be something like a less acerbic version of Justice Scalia, albeit with her own idiosyncrasies. I wouldn't have expected one of those idiosyncrasies to be a death penalty case. I mean, Justice Scalia was probably the most polar opposite of the anti-death penalty jurisprudence of Justices Brennan and Marshall.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 04:02:31 PM »

It’s the Catholicism.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 04:09:13 PM »

This is unexpected, but it was obvious almost from day 1 that she would be more moderate than Scalia.

I do remain puzzled why she joined the dissent in the CMS vaccine mandate stay request, though.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 05:46:26 PM »

It's definitely possible ACB holds to the consistent life ethic, which is of course taught by the Catholic Church.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 09:08:38 PM »

Yeah, Barrett seems to actually be taking the teachings of the Catholic Church seriously, which is far more than one could say for many other Catholics in politics on both sides of the aisle.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 10:51:45 PM »

It seems, per SCOTUS commentators, that this has to do with a dispute about the use of shadow docket and that Barrett wasn't really opposed to the execution (just with this specific method of confirming it).
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 05:49:49 AM »

It's definitely possible ACB holds to the consistent life ethic, which is of course taught by the Catholic Church.

She does not, as a Republican. Otherwise she wouldn't have voted to kill tens of thousands of people by joining with the antivax idiocy. She was against it for healthcare workers too.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 07:38:20 AM »

I felt this was worth bumping in light of a very recent SCOTUS decision, Nance v. Ward. It appears her vote in January may have been misleading in terms of her potential death penalty jurisprudence. This decision was mostly overshadowed by the gun case on Thursday, but it's quite notable as being a rare "win" for a death-row inmate. The majority opinion was written by Justice Kagan, joined by Roberts, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kavanaugh. As the opinion starts:

In several recent decisions, this Court has set out rules for challenging a State's proposed method of execution under the Eighth Amendment. To prevail on such a claim, a prisoner must identify a readily available alternative method of execution that would significantly reduce the risk of severe pain. In doing so, the prisoner is not confined to proposing a method authorized by the executing State's law; he may instead ask for a method used in other States. See Bucklew v. Precythe, 587 U. S. ___, ___ (2019) (slip op., at 19).

This case concerns the procedural vehicle appropriate for a prisoner's method-of-execution claim. We have held that such a claim can go forward under 42 U. S. C. §1983, rather than in habeas, when the alternative method proposed is already authorized under state law. See Nelson v. Campbell, 541 U. S. 637, 644-647 (2004). Here, the prisoner has identified an alternative method that is not so authorized. The question presented is whether §1983 is still a proper vehicle. We hold that it is.

Justice Barrett wrote the dissenting opinion, joined by Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch. Her dissent in this case would leave the inmate with only a federal habeas challenge, which is essentially a de facto automatic loss.

This doesn't guarantee a win for Nance. It merely opens up a Section 1983 civil rights challenge in federal court. If the dissent had won, he would've been relegated to habeas challenge, which have been massively curtailed and restricted under the AEDPA. There's virtually no chance to win a federal habeas challenge under that law. I think the composition of the majority is exceptionally noteworthy considering where Roberts and Kavanaugh have been in the past on these types of cases.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 07:54:05 AM »

The AEDPA is a cunning title because it makes any opponents of it seem pro-terrorism.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 09:39:54 AM »

She wrote law review articles indicating that she did once upon a time, but evidently that was before she emerged from her chrysalis as a full-fledged ~conservative jurist~.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 12:21:46 AM »

I felt this was worth bumping in light of a very recent SCOTUS decision, Nance v. Ward. It appears her vote in January may have been misleading in terms of her potential death penalty jurisprudence. This decision was mostly overshadowed by the gun case on Thursday, but it's quite notable as being a rare "win" for a death-row inmate. The majority opinion was written by Justice Kagan, joined by Roberts, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kavanaugh. As the opinion starts:

In several recent decisions, this Court has set out rules for challenging a State's proposed method of execution under the Eighth Amendment. To prevail on such a claim, a prisoner must identify a readily available alternative method of execution that would significantly reduce the risk of severe pain. In doing so, the prisoner is not confined to proposing a method authorized by the executing State's law; he may instead ask for a method used in other States. See Bucklew v. Precythe, 587 U. S. ___, ___ (2019) (slip op., at 19).

This case concerns the procedural vehicle appropriate for a prisoner's method-of-execution claim. We have held that such a claim can go forward under 42 U. S. C. §1983, rather than in habeas, when the alternative method proposed is already authorized under state law. See Nelson v. Campbell, 541 U. S. 637, 644-647 (2004). Here, the prisoner has identified an alternative method that is not so authorized. The question presented is whether §1983 is still a proper vehicle. We hold that it is.

Justice Barrett wrote the dissenting opinion, joined by Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch. Her dissent in this case would leave the inmate with only a federal habeas challenge, which is essentially a de facto automatic loss.

This doesn't guarantee a win for Nance. It merely opens up a Section 1983 civil rights challenge in federal court. If the dissent had won, he would've been relegated to habeas challenge, which have been massively curtailed and restricted under the AEDPA. There's virtually no chance to win a federal habeas challenge under that law. I think the composition of the majority is exceptionally noteworthy considering where Roberts and Kavanaugh have been in the past on these types of cases.
I think what matter is what she would consider as crude and unusual, like if death penalty for child rapist is. Nance v. Ward did not reveal that, since this was decided on procedural ground.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 12:33:26 AM »

She wrote law review articles indicating that she did once upon a time, but evidently that was before she emerged from her chrysalis as a full-fledged ~conservative jurist~.
In that article she made it clear that Catholic should recuse if their religious belief may play a factor in their judgement. I am curious how she would have ruled on Kennedy_v._Louisiana. My guess is that she would join the dissent.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 01:21:21 AM »

My guess is that she is personally opposed to executions, and will therefore vote against when it doesn't matter, but that partisanship trumps that.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2022, 06:03:41 PM »

My guess is that she is personally opposed to executions, and will therefore vote against when it doesn't matter, but that partisanship trumps that.

I emphasize that this is a "guess".  Not an "educated guess".  More like a "follow the crowd" guess.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies