Reaction to a 53 R senate but Dem house
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:15:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Reaction to a 53 R senate but Dem house
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reaction to a 53 R senate but Dem house  (Read 593 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2022, 08:59:02 AM »

What would your reaction be?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 09:30:06 AM »

MT Treasurer would get the last laugh
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 10:29:13 AM »

There's always 2024, I guess.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 11:17:19 AM »

Even more amusing would be a 53R/47D Senate with a 218/217 D House only because of Jared Golden's #retail politics and sharp political instincts.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 11:29:19 AM »

With the way redistricting is going, it's honestly not impossible (not at all likely either).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 11:37:44 AM »

Even more amusing would be a 53R/47D Senate with a 218/217 D House only because of Jared Golden's #retail politics and sharp political instincts.

There you go!
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »

At least there would be a slight check on Donald Trump assuming he wins in 2024.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 12:44:26 PM »

Lol it won't be a 53)47 R Senate it will be WI, PA and LA, OH or NC 53)47 D Senate users don't look at polls Rs are trailing in every battleground state except NV and CCM is gonna win due to Breyer replacement
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 01:08:47 PM »

There only seem to be two scenarios that work anymore: R trifectas and D trifectas (without Sinemansion ruining the party).  Other than that, it's constant gridlock, constant fighting, endless headaches, debt limit wars, rage-filled confirmation hearings... we don't have time for all that.  At least with R trifectas becoming D trifectas, and then R again and then D again, we'd have governments that actually do things.  Depending on your point of view, it's either they're doing good things or bad things, but at least something is being done.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 01:13:59 PM »

With the way redistricting is going, it's honestly not impossible (not at all likely either).

This. Dems are winning redistricting rn, which increases the possibility of something like this happening. But yes it's still not all that likely.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 01:21:25 PM »

I don't get how its super unlikely likely. The median senate seat is Biden +0.6 , the median house seat may be as high as Biden +5.  R senate, D house is definetely way underpriced on predict it and other betting markets. I don't see a D senate and R house anymore. It's completely off the table at this point IMO.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 01:34:04 PM »

You may want to continue avoiding checking out the 2024 map.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 01:49:36 PM »

I could buy a 51/49 R Senate and D House if things really turn around for the Democrats, but this would either mean that House Republicans failed spectacularly across the board, or 2022 ended up being surprisingly neutral, but Senate Democrats dropped the ball in multiple races. While the ceiling for Republicans in the House is somewhat limited by new districts, it's extremely hard to see them gaining four seats or less barring a huge sea change for the Democrats.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 02:02:47 PM »

Annoyed

Controlling the White House without the Senate these days is a massive impediment to governing. You're already kind of screwed without a unified Congressional majority, but no Senate means your judicial nominees will not be confirmed and your executive appointees will be delayed or blocked entirely, and those who are confirmed will probably not be first choices.

Neither party is going to let the other govern anymore, although Republicans are definitely further down that path than Democrats. We've been headed for a trash everything and blame it on the president and their party dynamic for a while, regardless of the consequences.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 03:30:14 PM »

I don't get how its super unlikely likely. The median senate seat is Biden +0.6 , the median house seat may be as high as Biden +5.  R senate, D house is definetely way underpriced on predict it and other betting markets. I don't see a D senate and R house anymore. It's completely off the table at this point IMO.

Remember in early 2013 when people were talking as if an R House and a D Senate was the new normal?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 03:43:22 PM »

I could buy a 51/49 R Senate and D House if things really turn around for the Democrats, but this would either mean that House Republicans failed spectacularly across the board, or 2022 ended up being surprisingly neutral, but Senate Democrats dropped the ball in multiple races. While the ceiling for Republicans in the House is somewhat limited by new districts, it's extremely hard to see them gaining four seats or less barring a huge sea change for the Democrats.

Pretty much this.

It's actually interesting that you have to go back to the 19th Century for time in which the president's party controlled the House, but not Senate. 2001-2003 was exceptional and only made possible through a party switch. It's actually a very rare constellation, as opposed the president's party holding the Senate, but not the House.

We only came close to this in 2020, and the Democrats only control the senate now because of two special elections and Georgia's runoff. I remember always finding it unrealistic that at the beginning of House of Cards, a new president (Garret Walker) coming in after winning an apparent landslide while his party only controls the House. I think at one point it was even mentioned Republicans hold 56 seats in Season 2.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 03:45:27 PM »

Lol Obamacare was unpopular in 2013 users need to stop comparing 2010/14 to 22, 2018 wave didn't happen in Jan it happened in October, and KENTAJI BROWN helps D's alot just like Trump was at 39/47 Approvals and Justice Kennedy retire, KENTAJI BROWN is gonna help us in 22 keep the Trifecta, it's a new election

Remember in early 2013 when people were talking as if an R House and a D Senate was the new normal?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 04:19:32 PM »

Pretty much this.

It's actually interesting that you have to go back to the 19th Century for time in which the president's party controlled the House, but not Senate. 2001-2003 was exceptional and only made possible through a party switch. It's actually a very rare constellation, as opposed the president's party holding the Senate, but not the House.

We only came close to this in 2020, and the Democrats only control the senate now because of two special elections and Georgia's runoff. I remember always finding it unrealistic that at the beginning of House of Cards, a new president (Garret Walker) coming in after winning an apparent landslide while his party only controls the House. I think at one point it was even mentioned Republicans hold 56 seats in Season 2.

Republicans basically even after the party switch controlled the senate in all but name given Zell Miller voted with Bush and the republicans over 95% of the time(which was more than the median Republican I think !)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies