Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:49:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation  (Read 19998 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« on: February 10, 2022, 11:54:49 PM »
« edited: February 11, 2022, 12:31:31 AM by John Ford Frank »

MMT (Chartalism) is the flip side of the notion that 'tax cuts pay for themselves.'

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 07:50:55 AM »

Unless jaichind believes that the neutral rate of interest is at 4 or 5 percent and that the Federal Reserve needs a federal funds rate of anywhere from 8 to 15 percent to control inflation, there's no reason to think that this tightening cycle would "blow a hole in the federal budget". In fact, based on his previous posts, we should expect the interest rate of a treasury bill to be around 4% at the height of tightening and that this interest rate would fall in 1 or 2 years.

Obviously, he may want to believe that this is true. Perhaps he can have wet dreams about his bizarre delusion that aligns with his ideology. Unfortunately for him, nothing over the past year has contradicted the "secular stagnation" hypothesis of Larry Summers. As far as I can tell, there aren't many serious economists who believe this burst of inflation implies anything about a sudden end to persistently low interest rates. In the end, if interest rates of 2% are enough to bring growth in the US to a sudden stop, that implies the federal government can continue to comfortably run deficits.

Sorry, I am not making my argument clear.  I am not saying that in the long run, the USA inflation rate would not come down to something like 2%-3% after a period of high-interest rates.  Demographic patterns would point to lower inflation in the long run.  Likewise in that new world, there is no reason why interest rates cannot be somewhat above inflation like pre-2008 historical patterns and not dramatically so.  In that world I agree there is no reason, assuming the USD is still the world reserve currency, why the USA federal deficit cannot be in the 2%-4% of GDP range.

What I am agreeing is the nature of that deficit will change.  After a period of high-interest rates to beat inflation in the 1980s the interest on the federal debt rose to around 3% of GDP in the 1990s and only went down to around 1%-1.5% of GDP in the era of artificially low-interest rates.  One would expect to see the same pattern emerge this time around.  But there is one big difference.  In the 1990s the federal debt was around 45% of GDP and now the federal debt is around 100% of GDP.  Given that in both eras the federal interest rate would need to be somewhat, but not dramatically so, above inflation the level of federal spending on interest would be expected to rise above the 3% of GDP reached in the 1990s.  So for the same 2%-4%, a federal deficit that we had in the 1990s the non-interest spending as a % of GDP will have to be a good deal lower than in the 1990s unless taxes goes up and most likely both. 

Ergo my argument is that taxes will need to go up and non-interest spending needs to go down one way or another, either through inflation or by budget balance normalization.

This is one reason why economics will always be a social science, there are too many unknowable factors.

I argue there is a second big difference, which is the need for the Federal Reserve to engage in 'quantitative tightening.'  Of course, it's not like the Federal Reserve needs to reduce its balance sheet all at once or even on any steady course.

In addition to this is obviously the uncertainty of geopolitical factors.  Is the west using the opportunity of Covid and the supply chain issues to break off most trade with China and its 'vassal states'? (Or decoupling.) Of course, it's largely private businesses that make these decisions, but, for instance, most Western nations have now dropped China's 5G, and, for another instance, Canada is considering not allowing Chinese state owned companies to buy Canadian rare earth mineral concerns/companies.

Some U.S companies are starting to buy rare earth minerals from Canada rather than from China.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8861965/rare-earth-mine-northwest-territories-canada/

So, starting to cut trade off from China (including keeping the Trump era tariffs) will also mean higher costs, but it may be the best decision from a geopolitical perspective. 
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 09:10:03 PM »

There is absolutely zero reason for the Fed to hike interest rates given indicators of inflation are going down. Any more is overkill that would damage the US economy.

The Federal Reserve defines its mandate on these things as having inflation (CPI) in a range of 1-3%  They don't really have any discretion without altering their mandate.

Of course, arguments like you're making are similar to arguments made in the 1970s.  I appreciate the concern as their will be suffering in order to get inflation down, but it shouldn't be too difficult or take too long, and then the good times can roll with lower government deficits and sustainable higher employment.

One positive thing about this inflation from an academic perspective is that it should kill MMT as a viable economic theory for at least the next 20 years (hopefully forever.)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 04:16:26 PM »

One thing with inflation with the 1970s is that the perception that inflation harmed the economy then has had to be revised. Real GDP growth of the 1970s in the U.S paled the Real GDP growth of the 1950s and 1960s, but was better than the Real GDP growth of every decade since then with the exception of the 1990s. So, the anomaly was not the economy of the 1970s with the high inflation, but the economy of the 1950s and 1960s coming out of the Great Depression and World War II with the U.S as by far the leading exporter in the world.

For the most part, the only time the economy did not perform well in the U.S in the 1970s was during the oil shocks/embargoes in 1973 and 1979/1980.

I think we are clearly seeing that again. This is not to say that inflation doesn't have negative consequences on an economy or on individuals in an economy or that it wouldn't be best to get it back into the 2% range, but it is to say that it seems that people and the economy do ultimately adjust to most anything.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 11:34:53 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2022, 11:46:09 PM by Benjamin Frank »

It does seem like since 1970, we have experienced an era of permanent decline. A "recession" or two will occur every decade, but the economy will remain stagnant for most of the decade. No real growth. Savings is a myth. Prices going up. It's unfortunate. The fed changed the nature of the world

The big monetary policy change around 1970 was the Nixon shock, not the Fed, but yeah, there is decent circumstantial evidence (if you start from certain priors) that the shift to pure fiat money contributed to our economy's long-term unsoundness.

These are fighting words to me!
1.There really is no 'Nixon shock.'  President Johnson starting in 1966 by increasing spending on Vietnam at the same time as funding the Great Society (guns and butter) precipitated what became an inflationary spiral. Though I don't know if this could be called an 'inflationary spiral' by 1970, the higher U.S inflation rate relative to inflation in the rest of the world made the world wide gold standard as devised at Bretton Woods with fixed exchange rates impossible to maintain.

In my opinion anyway, the Nixon Administration transitioning the U.S off the Gold Standard via negotiating with Saudi Arabia to make the U.S $ the Petrodollar was policy genius.

2.The gold standard is extremely unsound. The money supply increases not based on anything to do with the economy but when large gold deposits are found. How does that even begin to make any sense?

However, there were two ways that governments could increase their money supply even under the Gold Standard which kind of ruined its supposed benefit:
1.Decrease the amount of gold in coinage. Obviously this was done before economies started to have economic growth. This is where the term 'debase the currency' comes from.

2.Decrease the gold to coinage ratio. Nations, rather than having a 1:1`ratio of gold to currency (or after fractional reserve banking, gold to money) would announce a 1.5:1 ratio for instance.

In democracies or with greater public scrutiny, that was not popular government policy. So, for instance, the FDR Administration with the Great Depression tried some bizarre hybrid of not going off the gold standard, but interferring with its value by pegging gold at $35 an ounce. Every mainstream economist agrees that the Gold Standard increased the length and severity of the Great Depression.

For more on the Gold Standard and its failures, I always highly recommend people read "The Power of Gold: The History of an Obsession"  by Peter Bernstein.
https://www.amazon.ca/Power-Gold-History-Obsession/dp/111827010X

"The need for realism in reform of its monetary system is what makes Bernstein’s story of the Power of Gold so timely. It is a compelling reminder that maintaining a fixed price for gold and fixed exchange rates were difficult even in a simpler financial environment….Peter Bernstein was reluctant to project the story of gold into the future. But to me his message was clear. Yes, gold will be with us, valued not only for its intrinsic qualities but as a last refuge and store of value in turbulent times. But its days as money, as a means of payment and a fixed unit of account are gone."
—From the New Foreword by Paul Volcker

3.I think the United States going off the Gold Standard at a time of high inflation has allowed the 'Gold bugs' (I don't think you'll ever find a more horrible collection of grifters) to make dishonest negative attributions to 'fiat currency.' The reality is, once inflation was whipped in the early 1980s, with the exception of the late 1980s when the Reagan Administration sparked a new round of inflation with very high government budget deficits, with a few short exceptions in the mid 2000s, inflation in the United States has been roughly stable at between 1-4% per annum.  

That it took a major external shock like Covid to wreck this, I think shows how well Central Banks generally understand how to control inflation. One criticism of economists, as I've mentioned here previously, is that they aren't educated in supply chain logistics. Although this is a bit odd since I think clearly supply chains were what Adam Smith was referring to as 'the guiding hand' moving 'as if by magic', unfortunately I think most economists interpreted that as simply incentives provided by the price mechanism.

So, The Federal Reserve was too slow in appreciating that the supply chain bottlenecks would lead to shortages resulting in significant ongoing price increases. (That erased the shortages at the higher price levels.)

3B.From sometime in 1991 to 2007, the only recession in the United States was the recession declared by the NBER in 2000-2001. So, there were approximately 16 years where there was no time of two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth.

The U.S economy has grown enormously over the last 40-50 years, and not through only population growth, but through real growth per capita. The increases in productivity in the U.S show this. For one example, a reason the economy did not suffer as much as in the 1970s through the increases in oil prices is that oil usage is at least twice as efficient as it was in the 1970s. (And this is even with all the stupid SUVs.)

The problem with the U.S economy and with a large percentage of Americans not benefiting from the enormous productivity gains is the horrible right wing economic policies that started under the Reagan Administration that have helped concentrate wealth at the top.

There is no problem with central banks that can't be solved with some better education for economists and there is no problem with 'fiat currency.' Most of the problems with the U.S economy at present going back 40 years are a result of right wing economic policies.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies