Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:59:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation  (Read 20010 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« on: February 15, 2022, 09:25:39 PM »

I am concerned that the rate hikes, if heading at or over 2%, would lead us into another recession. Projected economic growth, especially done by households or private investment is much too low to get us out of this slump. Inflation is indeed much too high, but I’m worried of putting this already weak economy on a path of lesser economic growth. I think it would be best to wait a few months into the summer and introduce a small rate hike then or when inflation hits 10%, whichever one comes first.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 03:12:52 AM »

Ok, with the recent events a rate hike may be necessary, but it should be handled very delicately.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 05:43:46 PM »

Six rate hikes seem excessive, especially since there first was a .25% increase. If anything, six is only appropriate if done over a two year period to get to 2%.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 05:57:43 PM »

With this yield curve situation, causing another recession because of inflationary mess instead of getting the Democratic governors and municipal leaders to raise the wages instead would be a better course of action. Or at least not do the raise.

Given the Democrats don’t seem to have a will to repeat the exemptions and stimulus provided in 2020, this stupid talk of destroying our economy and leaving millions without a job and without means of continuing payments to remain in their homes. People will be pushed to the brink and we will see worse chances of Democratic victory and continued existence of liberal democracy if we govern like fiscal conservatives during a recession and slow down the train prematurely.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 12:42:24 AM »

People will be pushed to the brink and we will see worse chances of Democratic victory and continued existence of liberal democracy if we govern like fiscal conservatives during a recession and slow down the train prematurely.

What recession? It ended a while ago. The flipside of Keynesianism is that you *shouldn't* conduct economic stimulus when you aren't in a recession. Very important to go back and forth!
I was referring hypothetically in 2023/4.

I think we should at least ride the boom a bit longer at high speed instead of slowing down now; the present situation and all.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 08:35:26 PM »

There is absolutely zero reason for the Fed to hike interest rates given indicators of inflation are going down. Any more is overkill that would damage the US economy.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 07:17:10 PM »

Any further interest hikes are inappropriate to solve the current inflation situation, and harmful to the economic and security interests of our people. This is an assault on working people, plain and simple.

I fail to see how a restructuring of the Fed’s balance sheet or the utilization of other policy tools isn’t in order instead of forcing a recession that would balloon up unemployment and depress wages and salaries across the board.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 01:14:57 PM »

There is no excuse on my where needs to be more rate hikes. Not one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies