Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:15:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation  (Read 19903 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 25, 2022, 05:21:07 PM »

It seems in interest rate markets there are now more bets on  multiple 75-basis-point rate this year.  That is not the consensus but it is good to see this is the way the Fed might move.  Moving rates to 2.5% by the end of the year is a complete joke.  Much more aggressive action is needed the massively reduce the liquidity in the market.

More aggressive action would lead to a recession, many economists are worried that even as far as the Fed will go could  lead to recession. Rates need to go up yes, but it needs to be done gradually so that economic growth does not slow too much, all at once.

For me, a recession is a feature and not a bug.  A recession will allow for labor and capital engaged in value-destroying activities to be reallocated to value-creating activities.  Right now we have a situation where you are paying people to borrow money (in after-inflation terms.)  The longer this goes on the greater the economic distortions and worse the long-term economic growth prospects will be.
I pretend to be a sociopath sometimes for fun, but dude cmon. 

The sad (but inevitable) fact is that in the long-term a recession of some kind is inevitable. Dread it, run from it, market distortions (and excessive debt) bring recessions or even depressions all the same. In that way, they are more akin to forest fires than anything else. Recessions are part of the economic cycle. It's better to have several small ones than one big one.

Of course, what is most likely to happen if we have another recession is that the government simply puts boatloads of money in the hands of corporate America - again (not like they didn't already do that during corona). Essentially, that is corporate welfare. And it's funded by us, John Q. Public, whether we will it or not. I'm not necessarily hostile to that, because stability could be quite desirable here, but it's not exactly without downsides either.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 04:50:39 AM »

Good thread
I have learned a lot.
Welcome to the forum!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 05:01:43 AM »

Funny I mentioned the 1985 Plaza Accords.  I just read an article where the Biden administration rules out another Plaza Accords to arrest the surge of the USD.  I guess in a supply-constrained vs a demand-constrained world there is a smaller benefit to having a weak currency to help with export competitiveness.
What would the politics of another Plaza Accords look like, if Biden opted for that?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies