Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:03:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation  (Read 19669 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2022, 01:45:35 PM »

My calculated 30-year inflation-adjusted yield (which discounts the 30-year treasury yield by the 30-year inflation swap) reaches 1.22% which is the highest since 2011.   It was -0.6% in early 2022.  The pre-2008 era has this metric between 1.5%-2.0%.  I think we are getting very close to the end of the adjustment transition to the pre-2008 era as far as federal borrowing costs are concerned.

So people are selling stock and even commodities/metals to lend the Government money because it’s willing to pay more?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2022, 02:48:50 PM »

My calculated 30-year inflation-adjusted yield (which discounts the 30-year treasury yield by the 30-year inflation swap) reaches 1.22% which is the highest since 2011.   It was -0.6% in early 2022.  The pre-2008 era has this metric between 1.5%-2.0%.  I think we are getting very close to the end of the adjustment transition to the pre-2008 era as far as federal borrowing costs are concerned.

So people are selling stock and even commodities/metals to lend the Government money because it’s willing to pay more?

Of course.  Because the USD is the reserve currency in the world and the USA government can always pay its debts if you can get plus 1% after inflation return on USA treasuries that is very attractive to many people.  As I head toward retirement I am already rotating into long-term fixed income and this turn of events is the best thing that can happen for me.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2022, 03:54:10 PM »

The 30 inflation-adjusted treasury yields that I am computing surge to 1.4%.  This is getting very close to the 2004-2007 average of around 1.5%.  The real federal government borrowing costs are surging before our eyes.  If it goes to 1.5% and stays there then one can finally say that the USA has finally exited the abnormal post-2008 financial crisis era.  In 2008 I thought it would take 5-10 years to get out of the shadow of the crisis but it now seems that it took fully 14 years.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2022, 04:23:06 PM »

For the first time using my inflation-adjusted yield curve (discounting the yield curve with inflation swaps at each tenor) as the curve inverted (the convention curve has been inverted for a while) although only mildly.

Out of curiosity (I studied valuation and work in banking), why do you do it that way? And is this alternate measure widely used? Have you tested its reliability in the past?

(Hope I'm not derailing the thread here)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2022, 05:44:00 PM »

For the first time using my inflation-adjusted yield curve (discounting the yield curve with inflation swaps at each tenor) as the curve inverted (the convention curve has been inverted for a while) although only mildly.

Out of curiosity (I studied valuation and work in banking), why do you do it that way? And is this alternate measure widely used? Have you tested its reliability in the past?

(Hope I'm not derailing the thread here)

This is totally made up by me and has no real backtesting behind it.  I came up with the idea of discounting the treasury yields by the inflation swap of the same tenure back in the 2010s mostly as a way to measure financial repression.   My observation was that in 2012 there was massive financial repression which was fairly accommodative toward the Obama 2012 re-election campaign.  Of course, this was able to measure the massive financial repression in the 2020-2021 period as well. 

The idea of creating a yield curve out of my numbers came more from criticism I read in various reports half a year ago that using the yield curve to predict recessions had the problem that it did not take into account the large differences between short-term and long-term inflation.  These reports did not come up with solutions to the problem.  I merely used my numbers as a way to adjust for this.  Now that short-term and long-term inflation numbers are beginning to converge makes my adjustments are less useful and relevant going forward anyway.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2022, 04:32:02 AM »

30-year treasury yield discounted by 30-year inflation swaps surges past 1.5%.  We are officially exiting from the post-2008 financial repression world.  It feels so good to be free.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2022, 04:42:15 AM »

US Dollar index USDX is the highest level since 2001.

If you look at JP Morgan's broad-based currency strength adjusted for CPI differentials between different economies the USD is at the highest since the 1985 Plaza accords.  Looking at the JPM CPI differentials adjusted currency index shows that CNY and INR are still fairly strong and it is really EUR, GBP, and JPY that are way down at historical lows that are driving the USD relative strength.

At some stage ECB, CBE, and the BOJ will have to accept reality and raise rates and these trends will readjust itself.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2022, 04:45:47 AM »

Funny I mentioned the 1985 Plaza Accords.  I just read an article where the Biden administration rules out another Plaza Accords to arrest the surge of the USD.  I guess in a supply-constrained vs a demand-constrained world there is a smaller benefit to having a weak currency to help with export competitiveness.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2022, 04:49:02 AM »

James Carville said in the mid-1990s that if there was reincarnation " I would like to come back as the bond market".  That world mostly came to an end after the 2008 crisis.  That world is back.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2022, 05:01:43 AM »

Funny I mentioned the 1985 Plaza Accords.  I just read an article where the Biden administration rules out another Plaza Accords to arrest the surge of the USD.  I guess in a supply-constrained vs a demand-constrained world there is a smaller benefit to having a weak currency to help with export competitiveness.
What would the politics of another Plaza Accords look like, if Biden opted for that?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2022, 06:55:41 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-28/boe-to-carry-out-purchases-of-long-dated-uk-bonds-to-calm-market#xj4y7vzkg

"BOE Steps Back Into Bond Market to Restore Stability"

Sign.  The QE is like a drug.  Once you use it is a hard habit to kick.  It allows you to live in a MMT-like magical world with no consequences and where everything is free.  Eventually, you have to pay the piper.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2022, 07:40:55 AM »

PCE Deflator MoM came in at 0.3% as opposed to 0.1%.  The trend is still negative.  Hopefully, the recent rate increase and more to come will start to get this under control.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2022, 08:54:06 AM »

PCE Deflator MoM came in at 0.3% as opposed to 0.1%.  The trend is still negative.  Hopefully, the recent rate increase and more to come will start to get this under control.

Is this a sign that inflation is decreasing too fast, too slow, or about right? People are beginning to worry about deflation.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2022, 09:02:28 AM »

Is this a sign that inflation is decreasing too fast, too slow, or about right? People are beginning to worry about deflation.

MoM at 0.3% is not bad but not that great.  What it means is that PCE (personal consumption expenditure) Deflator (which is the Fed's preferred way to measure inflation) is rising at a 0.3% annual rate in one month which would work out to around a 4% annual rate.  Note that deflator is not deflation but how it gets calculated where you figure out the real PCE of each month and then look at nominal PCE to derive how face PCE prices are rising.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2022, 03:47:43 PM »

MoM at 0.3% is not bad but not that great.  What it means is that PCE (personal consumption expenditure) Deflator (which is the Fed's preferred way to measure inflation) is rising at a 0.3% annual rate in one month which would work out to around a 4% annual rate.  Note that deflator is not deflation but how it gets calculated where you figure out the real PCE of each month and then look at nominal PCE to derive how face PCE prices are rising.

So real inflation right now is about 4%?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2022, 04:15:17 PM »

If the MoM numbers continue this way.  4% is not good.  Fed wants it to be 2%
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2022, 07:03:26 AM »

If the MoM numbers continue this way.  4% is not good.  Fed wants it to be 2%

That could be where we end up if we are becoming more of a manufacturing country, out of necessity, and have higher growth.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2022, 02:37:40 PM »

A good Japanese chart of the current Fed fund swaps markets are showing up to the middle of 2023
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2022, 07:31:41 AM »

CPI YoY came in at 8.2% versus the expected 8.1%.  What is bad news is MoM is 0.4% versus the expected 0.2%.   The battle against inflation will go on for a while it seems and likely Fed Fund rate increase going forward will be more likely to be higher than expected
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2022, 07:40:49 AM »

Fed fund swaps now have peak reate of 4.85% around March 2023
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2022, 07:48:42 AM »

This Nov it will be almost certain 3.25%->4.0%
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2022, 07:51:21 AM »

What Fed does with QE is basically borrowing short-term floating and getting paid long-term fixed.  While the short-term rates were low the Fed makes a profit.  In 2021 this profit was  $107.8 billion which was handed over to the USA Treasury

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/other20220114a.htm

It is now certain that the Fed will now operate at a loss going forward.  So in 2022 and beyond the Treasury can no longer expect funding from this source.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2022, 07:53:58 AM »

"Core" inflation which is inflation w/o feed and energy rose to 6.6% YoY which is a record since the inflationary surge of the early 1980s.  The argument on the "spread" of inflationary expectation throughout the economy is now getting stronger when during the summer the data showed such arguments were getting weaker.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2022, 07:57:05 AM »

The 30-year yield discounted for 30-year inflation swaps surges past 1.6%.  The long-term fiscal position of the USA government is weakening before our eyes to the benefit of investors that focus on fixed income.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2022, 07:58:43 AM »

Social Security COLA for 2023 will be 8.7%  This makes sense from a data point of view that this surge of cash to those on Social Security  will add to the overall inflationary expectations of the economy overall.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies